The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 September 2016, 05:38 AM   #1
garyfromleeds
Banned

Watch: Deepsea D Blue
Icon20 UK stock at low levels ??? Price increase ???

Is it me or am I missing something ? I've been looking and ringing round ADs looking for a steel sports watch and it's like looking for a needle in a haystack , no submariners date or non dates no green hulks also , no Gmts black bezel or blue blacks , anything even half popular is impossible to find ,

And I've been told there's a September price increase due / but we've heard that before !

I've never seen the steel stock levels this low before and I truely believe that there's a price increase coming any day ...

Any thoughts ???
garyfromleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 05:43 AM   #2
-Ally-
"TRF" Member

I agree. 1st October perhaps, if ADs are withholding watches bought at pre-increase prices to increase margin that would be very bad practice. Impossible to prove though but one thing is for sure, the demand is strong for SS models at the moment in the UK.

Thankfully I've got all I want at the moment.
-Ally- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 05:46 AM   #3
ryan1011
Banned

Agreed I called 24 ADs from Rolex store locator and got exact same response on blue black that no and waiting list. I think personally all stock has been halted pending the increase.
ryan1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 05:52 AM   #4
7shaun7
"TRF" Member

Watch: dssd daytonaC AK2
Same here called at local ADs NO Rolex sports models, first time I've seen that. They usually have at least two different sport models in.....somethings afoot isn't it ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7shaun7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 06:07 AM   #5
ryan1011
Banned

hmm
Attached Images
File Type: gif 200_s.gif (38.0 KB, 1185 views)
Old 5 September 2016, 06:09 AM   #6
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Yep Scotland ADs seem to have virtually no SS stock too.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 06:21 AM   #7
Steve36Efc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126603
I picked up the LVC off the shelf in an AD local to me back in April, but while in Liverpool last weekend there were no SS sports models on display in the window. Looking at the the prices at grey dealer just confirms that there is a short supply at the moment. Who knows maybe they are being held back for an imminent price rise.
Steve36Efc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 06:31 AM   #8
Wizzle47
"TRF" Member

I was in Harrods last week and not a single SS sports model in stock. I went into the local AD yesterday and same story, no SS sports models whatsoever. I went to enquire about the BLNR and they get them in regularly but theres already 20 people in the queue with deposits on them; no chance of receiving it before 2017.

They told me they were imminently expecting a price increase as well. Usually i'd put this down to a sales tactic but as i wouldn't get the watch until next year, i'd pay increased prices anyway so there there may be truth to this.
Wizzle47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 06:34 AM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

With Brexit, why not hop over to Italy. Fly to Florida USA as we have an abundance of them here. How many do you want?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 06:38 AM   #10
7shaun7
"TRF" Member

Watch: dssd daytonaC AK2
No thanks

7shaun7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 06:46 AM   #11
garyfromleeds
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
With Brexit, why not hop over to Italy. Fly to Florida USA as we have an abundance of them here. How many do you want?
The exchange rate isn't that great at the moment for us but it's a great idea combining a holiday and new watch shopping trip together
Old 5 September 2016, 06:53 AM   #12
lukey77
"TRF" Member

Quote:

"With Brexit"... Our pound has devalued c15-20%... That's why we don't just fly over to US or Italy....

lukey77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 06:56 AM   #13
Shaky
"TRF" Member

I stated a few days ago on here my suspicions that stock was being held back prior to a price increase. With nothing being for sale in this category, I am certain they are doing it.
Can anyone honestly believe that Rolex have just stopped shipping them to the UK ?
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 07:07 AM   #14
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Unfortunately due to Brexit, TRF members outside of the U.K. have depleted your stock. I know of numerous members who have taken advantage of the shift in currency value
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 07:11 AM   #15
lukey77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
Unfortunately due to Brexit, TRF members outside of the U.K. have depleted your stock. I know of numerous members who have taken advantage of the shift in currency value

Good answer. Don't blame them. On the 24th June Rolex became 20% cheaper to buy in uk to a us citizen than 2 days earlier... And astonishingly 40% cheaper than 2014...(peak gbp to usd was 1.78, down to trough of 1.27!!).

Old 5 September 2016, 07:12 AM   #16
FK77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT II BLNR
I visited 12-13 ADs in London in a day and phoned about the same number of dealers outside London. No one had the watch I was looking for (BLNR). I had a deposit down at another dealer already but was trying to avoid the long wait. Then I found one at an AD abroad while on holiday and bought it despite the higher price (especially due to exchange rate). I agree ... while I have been hearing of an "imminent price rise" since 2014, the lack of stock and grey dealer asking prices are indeed suggesting it may well be true this time round. At least I won't feel too bad about paying more if that happens lol.
FK77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 07:15 AM   #17
watchnut73
"TRF" Member

Watch: daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
Yes the UK stock has been purchased by foreigners as Rolex was 20-30% cheaper than the rest of the world at the time of brexit
Also claiming tax back too.
London sales were through the roof last month, stores also transfer stock store to store for customers resulting in smaller stores outside London, therefore stock being reduced throughout the UK
watchnut73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 07:16 AM   #18
ryan1011
Banned

Quote:
We aren't 'special' anymore according to your command and chief ;)
Old 5 September 2016, 07:19 AM   #19
garyfromleeds
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchnut73 View Post
Yes the UK stock has been purchased by foreigners as Rolex was 20-30% cheaper than the rest of the world at the time of brexit
Also claiming tax back too.
London sales were through the roof last month, stores also transfer stock store to store for customers resulting in smaller stores outside London, therefore stock being reduced throughout the UK
You may have hit the nail on the head !
Old 5 September 2016, 07:55 AM   #20
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Price rise is better than no UK stock and having to buy from abroad at the same price due to weak pound.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 08:06 AM   #21
Dchen
"TRF" Member

A BLNR from an AD is hard enough to find at the best of times. I managed to pick mine up from Mappin & Webb on regent street back in July however.

I saw quite a few SS sports models in windows this weekend but they're mostly explorer II's in the ADs around London, and the odd Sub however.

Dchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 08:32 AM   #22
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon10

Hi Gary, the stainless steel sports models have always been elusive, at least around London ADs. I've only every seen once the 116610LV, 116610LN and 116710BLNR from my very many AD pop ins over the years. It makes one wonder why they don't send a few more this way.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 08:35 AM   #23
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Mapping and Webb at bluewater couldnt commit for a year and said i was number 29 in the queue[ i think] for a blnr,
that was a few months ago,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 08:38 AM   #24
lukey77
"TRF" Member

Also... The weak pound may be a perfect excuse to increase prices.
If they can increase by 10% and still have sales well up from May (pre Brexit), all good for margins.

Old 5 September 2016, 09:03 AM   #25
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfromleeds View Post
The exchange rate isn't that great at the moment for us but it's a great idea combining a holiday and new watch shopping trip together
It's actually a pretty bad idea. With the GBP rate against the US$ as it is right now, by the time you've paid for a few nights in a hotel on top of flights and then bought your SS sports Rolex, for the same money you could buy a row of terraced houses in Barnsley.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 09:10 AM   #26
ryan1011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutats View Post
Hi Gary, the stainless steel sports models have always been elusive, at least around London ADs. I've only every seen once the 116610LV, 116610LN and 116710BLNR from my very many AD pop ins over the years. It makes one wonder why they don't send a few more this way.
quite simple. Exclusivity.
Old 5 September 2016, 09:29 AM   #27
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfromleeds View Post
Always fun to combine a holiday with watch shopping.

As for those complaining about the devalued British Pound, don't worry as other central bank currencies will follow accordingly over time. Am sure many TRF'ers know better than to keep their investments stuck in currencies (unless actively managed, and perhaps shorted the Pound, or remember the great Swiss Franc trade against the declining USD years ago, or...).

It is great to see TRF members taking advantage of the quick devaluation of the Pound. Did you know originally a British Pound was worth a Pound of Sterling Silver before they changed it to being FIAT-based. Imagine what 500 British Pound Sterling can buy today if they kept it worth a pound of Sterling silver.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 10:08 AM   #28
ryan1011
Banned

Quote:
Always fun to combine a holiday with watch shopping.

As for those complaining about the devalued British Pound, don't worry as other central bank currencies will follow accordingly over time. Am sure many TRF'ers know better than to keep their investments stuck in currencies (unless actively managed, and perhaps shorted the Pound, or remember the great Swiss Franc trade against the declining USD years ago, or...).

It is great to see TRF members taking advantage of the quick devaluation of the Pound. Did you know originally a British Pound was worth a Pound of Sterling Silver before they changed it to being FIAT-based. Imagine what 500 British Pound Sterling can buy today if they kept it worth a pound of Sterling silver.
That all may be so but we still don't have Froot Loop cereal over here.
Old 5 September 2016, 10:30 AM   #29
the0thrdude
Banned

Watch: 16710,116300
Hmm. There may be a few factors causing the price increase: the currency strength (esp. the UK), inflation...and maybe increase in demand? Who knows.

Buy 'em while they're less expensive!
the0thrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2016, 10:39 AM   #30
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan1011 View Post
That all may be so but we still don't have Froot Loop cereal over here.
I'll gladly trade you Fruit Loops for some Monster Munch and beef flavor Hula Hoops....
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scarcity , united kingdom