The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 October 2016, 12:54 PM   #1
bodhipooh
"TRF" Member

London AD Recommendation?

I have been looking to buy a Milgauss GV for some time. Coincidentially, a friend of mine has recently invited a group of friends to come visit her in London and, given the drop in the GBP/USD exchange rate, it seems like a logical thing to buy a Milgauss over there. Can anyone recommend an AD in central London? Particularly one that is willing to set aside, or order, a Milgauss if I make a deposit?

Thanks!
bodhipooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 01:19 PM   #2
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
There can't be that many AD in central London. Go in the rolex website and look then call them up and ask. Milgauss is a slow mover it really shouldn't be a problem to find one.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 05:10 PM   #3
John Condom
Banned

Watch: 16520
Wempe are my favourite AD in London. They didn't have a Milgauss when I last passed but can't imagine it will be difficult for them to get one in. I would personally avoid Harrods, Selfridges etc. You'll get a better service in Wempe.
John Condom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 06:28 PM   #4
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
bodhipooh

Try Selfridges in Oxford Street.

It's just a department store but the staff in the Rolex section know their stuff and there is usually a full set of models on sale.

Also as an American, you should shop in the afternoon and afterwards pop upstairs as Selfridges do an excellent Tea and scones service.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 06:29 PM   #5
henry333
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
I think you will be good .. I did see a few places that has it few weeks ago.
Since your there shop around think your in luck , pretty sure you will get one
henry333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 06:32 PM   #6
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Your problem is sky high demand and thus a shortage of watches. Stuff is racing out of these shops. You need to visit a selection, and talk to them. They can sell everything they get from Rolex, but good luck.
If unlucky, buy from an AD a short trip from London. The current situation of low Rolex prices and a weak pound are unlikely to occur again for many years. Buy now.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 06:37 PM   #7
PatrickJ
Banned

Any one that has your watch in stock.
PatrickJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 06:50 PM   #8
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Milgauss is readily available, seen one in most ADs in central London.

I would try the following depending on where you're staying:

Watches of Switzerland - Regent Street Branch
Mappin & Webb - Regent Street Branch
Rolex Boutique - Bond Street
Wempe - Bond Street
Selfridges (Watchgallery) - Oxford Street
Watch Gallery - Covent Garden
Harrods - Knightsbridge
Watches of Switzerland - Knightsbridge
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 08:24 PM   #9
grantfrost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhipooh View Post
I have been looking to buy a Milgauss GV for some time. Coincidentially, a friend of mine has recently invited a group of friends to come visit her in London and, given the drop in the GBP/USD exchange rate, it seems like a logical thing to buy a Milgauss over there. Can anyone recommend an AD in central London? Particularly one that is willing to set aside, or order, a Milgauss if I make a deposit?

Thanks!
Watches of Switerland, Regent Street - its a Rolex Boutique and great service. Ask for Joanna if she is in very friendly and they always have Milgauss. Don't expect any kind of discount though!
grantfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 08:45 PM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Plenty in London, have a fun day out and Mick's suggestion of Afternoon Tea is a great one, the Ritz Tea is very nice, I'm going for dinner there next week.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 09:01 PM   #11
Danishtext
"TRF" Member

I was in London in mid September, but did not go to any AD. However, I dropped by at the AD in Heathrow airport (terminal 3). They only had 2 sports model in stock (a black GMT ceramic and something else), but plenty of other models. I did not write down the price, but SA said that the prices are less than in highstreet ADs. Also per usual, the SA said that there would be an imminent price increase next week.
Danishtext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 09:12 PM   #12
rsnissan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV & Ω
WoS at royal exchange too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rsnissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 09:36 PM   #13
cdbeaver66
"TRF" Member

The Watch Gallery in Westfield, Shepherds Bush today

1. Breitling Colt Chronograph 2. Melbourne Watch Company Portsea 3. Tudor Black Bay ETA Blue 4.Rolex GMT Master IIc LN 5. Tudor Heritage Ranger 6. Tudor Pelagos LHD 7. Tudor Black Bay Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition 8. Tudor Black Bay GMT 9. Tudor Black Bay Harrods

Instagram: mykicksandticks
cdbeaver66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 09:46 PM   #14
nwalker
"TRF" Member

Depending on where you are flying into / out of in London you should try contacting the AD at the airport.
The one at Heathrow (Swiss Watches of London) have the lowest prices for Rolex's anywhere in Europe. (they showed me the comparison prices spreadsheet). As they are duty free as well you can get as much as £2k off the rrp.
I think you can reserve a watch if they have one available, but they said the popular models just fly out the store. I wish I got the Sea Dweller they had just received, it was 2.5 below RRP !!

You should phone up if you're flying out of there.
nwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 10:11 PM   #15
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread. But can any member/s from London chime in on how things are when it comes to the Sea-Dweller 116600. I can most likely find one for the same price here in HK as; ex VAT paying in £. But could also be nice to combine the purchase with a short visit to London :)

Cheers,
Joe
Old 6 October 2016, 06:21 AM   #16
bodhipooh
"TRF" Member

Thank you everyone for the kind replies and recommendations. I will pick up the phone and make a few phone calls tomorrow. I will also call my friend and confirm some dates. The pound is at its lowest level in 30+ years, so it seems like a no-brainer to pull the trigger sooner, rather than later. Even at full list price, a Milgauss GV will come out to be a little over 6K after the VAT refund via Global Blue, or below 6K if I manage to get the a small discount or find one at a place where they dont bother with the Global Blue VAT refund paperwork, like the retailers at LHR.
bodhipooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 09:40 AM   #17
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhipooh View Post
Thank you everyone for the kind replies and recommendations. I will pick up the phone and make a few phone calls tomorrow. I will also call my friend and confirm some dates. The pound is at its lowest level in 30+ years, so it seems like a no-brainer to pull the trigger sooner, rather than later. Even at full list price, a Milgauss GV will come out to be a little over 6K after the VAT refund via Global Blue, or below 6K if I manage to get the a small discount or find one at a place where they dont bother with the Global Blue VAT refund paperwork, like the retailers at LHR.
Although I've never done it, I've heard you can buy from a retailer who participates in the VAT-free scheme but you can avoid the service fees of a company like Global Blue. Get the store to charge the VAT amount on one charge and the watch without VAT on another. You get the paperwork from the store, get it stamped by customs and then return the paperwork to the store. As long as the store receives the stamped paperwork back from you, they will refund you the VAT amount they charged to your card (or not charge you in the first place for it). From stories I've heard, it seems like using a service like Global Blue does not guarantee you a refund--people have had issues with them. So as long as you shop at a store that will work with you, then you can take care of the paperwork yourself. Maybe there is someone here who has done the paperwork themselves and can give us a firsthand account. I'd also love to hear a firsthand account of someone who claimed the watch upon entry to US and paid duty.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 05:56 PM   #18
Dchen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedia View Post
Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread. But can any member/s from London chime in on how things are when it comes to the Sea-Dweller 116600. I can most likely find one for the same price here in HK as; ex VAT paying in £. But could also be nice to combine the purchase with a short visit to London :)

Cheers,
Joe

I regularly visit my trust ADs and take a look in the windows whenever I go past a Rolex boutique etc. And I haven't seen any SD 116600 since July!

Dchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2016, 04:37 AM   #19
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon14 This evening in one of the cases at the Rolex Boutique in Selfridges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedia View Post

Cheers,
Joe
Hi Joe, it's there to. Maybe you could buy the Milguass and Sea-Dweller 4000 with the OP for some kind of discount but you'll have to work out the VAT refund somehow.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
london , scarcity