The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 March 2017, 09:21 PM   #1
Warg
"TRF" Member

UK buyers

Hi all, a question for any UK based buyers. As we all know the stainless steel sports model/ Tool watches are becoming some what of a mythical creature these days.

Obviously if you have the money and willing to pay over the odds then you can get them quicker but if buying from an AD what have people found to be the average waiting time for some models. I was in mines the other day and been told an average of 3 months for a submariner date, 116610LN, and end of the year for a BLNR is this normal/good/bad?
Warg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 09:34 PM   #2
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
No SS model is a mythical creature here in the UK, if as you say, are willing to pay way over the odds, they somehow appear as if by magic ! Its got very silly.
Old 7 March 2017, 09:41 PM   #3
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Silly indeed... paying over the odds for a mass-produced steel watch.
Put your name on a 'list' and you may be surprised at how soon you get the call.
Old 7 March 2017, 09:45 PM   #4
Dirty Tool
"TRF" Member

I was looking for a Sub No date for a while, the AD's I asked in London were not willing to take my name on a waiting list due to the lists being too long (might be different for frequent customers but I did not fall into that category). I ended up finding one in a AD thanks to a tip off from this forum.

I would say a 3 month waiting time is not long to wait at all.
Dirty Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 09:46 PM   #5
Warg
"TRF" Member

Yeah it seems as though 10-15% over RRP for subs, GMT black dial is the norm but go for BLNR or DaytonaC and it's blank cheque stuff. Like you say though, readily available.....at a price, but was just putting it out there to see what the normal waiting list times are in different parts of the country from an AD.
Old 7 March 2017, 09:57 PM   #6
RMC12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf/Hulk/1680
I was in Goldsmiths just before Christmas and they said they would be able to get me BLNR within 6 months if I wanted. Apparently there were 5 or 6 people who had there name down for 1 and they get on average 1 per month. They said if any of the people who were waiting had changed their minds for whatever reason or couldn't be contacted the next name gets called.
RMC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 09:58 PM   #7
gas-SD
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520,116523
Was passing my local AD yesterday and they had a SS Sub date in the window. Went in and tried it on but it just did not sing to me. Not buying just because they are hard to get here. I was lucky last year with the same dealer who had a BLNR in the window (it had come in that day) and I have worn it almost every day since (perhaps it's why the Sub did not sing). So they are out there although the dealer laughed when I asked about SS Daytona availability! I'd like one but would not pay +£5800 premium.
gas-SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 10:08 PM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'd factor in 2 months for a black sub and 6 for a BLNR or Hulk etc. I'd list with a few ADs and out of London to speed up the process.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 10:43 PM   #9
Sailaway68
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubCLV. SubCNodate
They are about Warg, even in the South East. I have picked up a SubC no date and a SubLV Hulk in the past few weeks from AD close to London.... both were in the window and apparently had not been there longer than a day, but they are about. Maybe worth a ring around the AD's within a reasonable distance from you. Personally I think the waiting lists can be a frustrating waste of time. I cant believe there was not one for the LV at what is a large AD but there it was in the window. I even managed a slight discount on the SubC No date by paying with debit card....
Sailaway68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 11:27 PM   #10
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon12

It's still as dry as the desert in London when it comes to stainless steel models even after the November 2016 price increase. I would think you should fare better outside of London.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 11:52 PM   #11
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
I went in a number of ADs and phoned quite a few more and placed myself on a number of lists for Submariner and Daytona.

Submariner date 3 to 6 months.
DaytonaC - 7 to 10 years (but with many refusing to enter me on the list)

I have decided to purchase both watches from my local AD because if I purchase the Submariner from them they anticipate my wait time for the Daytona to be closer to 2 years than 10 (They are also instigating a policy to offer people (on the list) local to them fist chance.

I was offered a Submariner Date last week from one of the other Ads I had my name down at – I declined as I would like to build the relationship with my local AD and hope to gain the Daytona faster because of it.

Hopefully they will have a Submariner for me in the next few weeks.
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2017, 11:57 PM   #12
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxxx View Post
I was offered a Submariner Date last week from one of the other Ads I had my name down at – I declined as I would like to build the relationship with my local AD and hope to gain the Daytona faster because of it.
This is the best way to do things for future models!!

Unfortunately my UK Rolex AD losts its Rolex dealership just before the ceramic came out so I'm starting all over again and currently not on any lists - sucks!!!!
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 12:08 AM   #13
psv
"TRF" Member

Don't buy Rolex in the UK.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 12:10 AM   #14
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Don't buy Rolex in the UK.
If your a UK resident though you might have little choice as US prices with weak pound etc and import taxes
Old 8 March 2017, 12:22 AM   #15
BadBoyR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubsGMTsSDsYM2DJ41
Same for me. Can get a Hulk but not my style

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
BadBoyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 12:26 AM   #16
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
This sounds ridiculous.

You guys travel? Phone ahead. Many places have stock of Subs and GMTIIs. Daytonas not so much yet, but give it time and they will. I saw Daytonas in the cabinet five years ago.

The weak pound will not help though. After the brexit nonsense settles there may be a bounce back in a few months.
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 12:29 AM   #17
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Iv seen most ss models apart from sd and Daytona in Bristol , last week both sub n sub date at goldsmiths Cabot circus
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 01:19 AM   #18
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
If your a UK resident though you might have little choice as US prices with weak pound etc and import taxes
Well, there is no supply so...
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 01:21 AM   #19
kultschar
"TRF" Member

In London maybe. Plenty if you ring around the country and not after a Daytona or Deep Blue
Old 8 March 2017, 02:47 AM   #20
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Well, there is no supply so...
If you want something you'll get it, even in the UK
Relationships work wonders
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 02:57 AM   #21
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
There are plenty of watches if you are prepared to wait, or buy s/h.

I don't get this "short supply" mantra. These are mass-produced watches, after all, and it's not like we are five-year-olds who have to have whatever it is they want RIGHT NOW!
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 09:25 AM   #22
Warg
"TRF" Member

If there were plenty of watches readily available in AD's then there would be no waiting lists throughout th UK and the grey market prices would not be more than the RRP's. Unless you want to let us all in on your Secret AD with the plentiful supply you speak of.
Old 8 March 2017, 04:41 PM   #23
Steve36Efc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126603
As mentioned put your name down with a couple of ADs. Up until now I have been lucky in that I managed to bag what I wanted straight from stock with no wait, however I'm not having the same luck with my next and am on several lists. The wait is killing me
Steve36Efc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 04:45 PM   #24
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve36Efc View Post
As mentioned put your name down with a couple of ADs. Up until now I have been lucky in that I managed to bag what I wanted straight from stock with no wait, however I'm not having the same luck with my next and am on several lists. The wait is killing me
What model are you after? Don't let the wait kill you, and if you end up getting frustrated with it, pay a touch more and get one from another seller BNIB.

All the ADs near me have none of the desireable stuff in windows, but if I was after something, I'd ring around every ad within 100 miles, and then jump in the car or on then train. I've sourced a BLNR and new Air-King that way after being quoted long lists on both.

I'd say the most challenging ones will be BLNR, D-Blue and DaytonaC.
Sub, LV, Exp, AK etc will be hard to get but achieveable with a bit of tenacity.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 05:18 PM   #25
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

All I would say is keep ringing around on a regular basis, and don't limit yourself to just the local AD's

If your prepared to put yourself about a bit you will get one sooner than you may think.

I have just made my first Rolex purchase after being told by various AD's that it would be months (one even quoted over a year for a Sub Date C)

However a chance call to an AD about 60 miles from where I live revealed one waiting in their safe.

I was fortunate enough to be in a position where I was ready to buy and able to alter my work schedule to be able to get over there the next morning.

Needles to say the deal was done and I am now the proud owner of my first Rolex.

2 weeks prior to this another forum member had posted that they'd seen one in the window of Goldsmiths in Liverpool.

Sure enough I called them to confirm but they wouldn't save it and said it was first come first served - I missed that one.

My main point really is don't be put off by quoted wait times, watches are starting to slowly appear and not everyone on the list is always in a financial position to buy at the time the watch is available.

A bit of leg work will throw up the watch you want eventually Im sure.
Punchthefatkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 05:36 PM   #26
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warg View Post
If there were plenty of watches readily available in AD's then there would be no waiting lists throughout th UK and the grey market prices would not be more than the RRP's. Unless you want to let us all in on your Secret AD with the plentiful supply you speak of.
I did say if you are prepared to wait or buy s/h.

Buying a new Rolex is not an emergency, and a cooling-off period of a few weeks or months is probably a good thing from a buyer's pov. It's certainly not the end of the world.

Having said that, I recently tracked down the precise steel sports model (OP 39) I wanted, and had it on my wrist within a week with a 6% discount from a local AD. Lift the phone.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 05:45 PM   #27
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warg View Post
You forget not all buyers hunt around and some will take the AD's word and if that's in London then demand and wait is high!

Give you an example a chain AD in London quoted me 2 years on a BLNR I've since picked up two from the same chain just a different location (one wasn't for me)

Also a local AD on my last two visits firstly offered me a BLNR and then the Sub LV, I'm not on their list for either I just popped in while shopping (I am known to the store with purchase history)

I would be confident in being able to locate a Sub now within a couple of weeks, BLNR maybe a month or so, the genuinely only hard to source items at the moment are the D-Blue and Daytona.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 06:11 PM   #28
House
"TRF" Member

I rang approximately 20 ADs and went in to see 4, to inquire about a D-Blue - Couldn't even get on one list!
House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 06:19 PM   #29
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Guys, I live in London. ADs give you different answers if you call or turn up at their store. I called watchgallery for example and they told me they have no Sub LV. I went to Westfield and it was on display....This was January 2017....

I agree that a BLNR or Daytona you're more likely to get struck by lightning at the same time as being bitten by a crocodile then to find it in an AD. But the others are "fairly" available, particularly after the price increase. Just GO to the stores, you will be surprised.

Im by no means saying its easy, like with the weak GBP, it is definately hard. But its not THAT hard to get a Sub Date or no date. Particularly the no date I have seen on windows.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 06:27 PM   #30
OasisMS
"TRF" Member

I waited less than a week for my Sub.
OasisMS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
availability , united kingdom