"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex
It's nuts I wouldn't pay full retail for any Rolex never mind paying over
MrGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 06:34 PM   #32
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Nothing mythical about it. ADs are just having a giraffe.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 06:36 PM   #33
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGMT View Post
Personal choice but no real help to the OP
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 06:47 PM   #34
MrGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Personal choice but no real help to the OP
Well it is because every Rolex can get a discount including the rare Daytona so the OP should be looking for a discount on the watch he goes for
Old 8 March 2017, 06:51 PM   #35
JigsawPuzzle
"TRF" Member

Other than in London, which part of UK should I call/walk into the AD shop for SS models...?
JigsawPuzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 06:57 PM   #36
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Well it is because every Rolex can get a discount including the rare Daytona so the OP should be looking for a discount on the watch he goes for
Good luck with that one
Old 8 March 2017, 07:05 PM   #37
Johnnyhayward
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Would you like to point us to where we are able to buy these mythical discounted Sports Rolex from? Or is it simply another asinine comment like your moonwatxh thread.
Johnnyhayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 07:08 PM   #38
MrGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhayward View Post
Would you like to point us to where we are able to buy these mythical discounted Sports Rolex from? Or is it simply another asinine comment like your moonwatxh thread.
There a few people on this forum that have already got discounts on the new Daytona if you read the forums you will see
Old 8 March 2017, 07:11 PM   #39
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
UK buyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JigsawPuzzle View Post
Other than in London, which part of UK should I call/walk into the AD shop for SS models...?

Try Preston's in Leeds. They are a boutique and very straight so there is just no BS. I would take their answer for the state of the market. Ask for Andy or John, 0113 242 7789.

I have no affiliation apart from being a customer.

The answer you will get though is six months on a BLNR I reckon at a guess, but they will get you one at retail and not the 7.5k the grey market is charging.
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 07:16 PM   #40
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
There a few people on this forum that have already got discounts on the new Daytona if you read the forums you will see
Maybe but not the UK and certainly not Scotland (where you are from?)

The USA market seems plentiful and they offer discounts without asking according to most members on here.

However (and I can only speak for Scotland), SS desireable sports are hard to come by (SubC, ND, BLNR, LV, DaytonaC, D-Blue).

You tell me where any of these models can be bought at a discount from a Scotland AD?

AD's are in constant fear of Rolex taking their signs down. They call the shots and any AD discounting SS models is in serious risk of losing their agency. This is fact for the UK.

You may get a little touch off here and there as a gesture on one of the non mentioned models, but no more than that in most cases.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 07:29 PM   #41
FK77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT II BLNR
I was quoted 4 months without any guarantees on actual timing or price for a BLNR when I put a refundable deposit down back in July '16. I was no. 13 on the list apparently. I also visited almost every AD in Central London and a couple outside Central as well (all on the same day, again July '16). The quoted waiting times ranged from 6 months to 3 years. I put my name down on the list at the 4 or 5 ADs who were willing to take waiting lists. To this date I haven't heard anything from any of them. The only place where I removed myself from the list was the AD where I had paid a deposit because I wanted it refunded after I was able to buy the watch at an AD in Switzerland when on holiday in August '16. It was hard to find even there.
FK77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 07:37 PM   #42
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Yes there is but it's rare and not common place so hardly any help to the OP

This is meant to be a helpful forum not a peeing contest...
Old 8 March 2017, 08:20 PM   #43
MrGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post

The USA market seems plentiful and they offer discounts without asking according to most members on here.

However (and I can only speak for Scotland), SS desireable sports are hard to come by (SubC, ND, BLNR, LV, DaytonaC, D-Blue).

You tell me where any of these models can be bought at a discount from a Scotland AD?

AD's are in constant fear of Rolex taking their signs down. They call the shots and any AD discounting SS models is in serious risk of losing their agency. This is fact for the UK.

You may get a little touch off here and there as a gesture on one of the non mentioned models, but no more than that in most cases.
Laings in Edinburgh have offered me discounts on quite a few watches but I've never asked about a Daytona and was actually surprised myself when reading a few people on this forum had got discounts, even got offered a discount on a hulk recently but declined after trying it on.
Old 8 March 2017, 08:22 PM   #44
MrGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes there is but it's rare and not common place so hardly any help to the OP

This is meant to be a helpful forum not a peeing contest...
Rare for a Daytona discount yes absolutely agree but not for any other model well maybe a deep blue but the rest are quite easy to find a discount, so might be helpful for the op don't really think it's for you to decide
Old 8 March 2017, 08:40 PM   #45
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Rare for a Daytona discount yes absolutely agree but not for any other model well maybe a deep blue but the rest are quite easy to find a discount, so might be helpful for the op don't really think it's for you to decide
Your first reply was anything but helpful!

This one is borderline helpful
Old 8 March 2017, 08:46 PM   #46
MrGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Your first reply was anything but helpful!

This one is borderline helpful
Again I don't think it's for you to decide what's helpful to the OP
Old 8 March 2017, 09:15 PM   #47
JigsawPuzzle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyman View Post
Try Preston's in Leeds. They are a boutique and very straight so there is just no BS. I would take their answer for the state of the market. Ask for Andy or John, 0113 242 7789.

I have no affiliation apart from being a customer.

The answer you will get though is six months on a BLNR I reckon at a guess, but they will get you one at retail and not the 7.5k the grey market is charging.
Appreciate it... will make a call as well...
JigsawPuzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 10:10 PM   #48
Steve36Efc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126603
Quote:
What model are you after? Don't let the wait kill you, and if you end up getting frustrated with it, pay a touch more and get one from another seller BNIB.

All the ADs near me have none of the desireable stuff in windows, but if I was after something, I'd ring around every ad within 100 miles, and then jump in the car or on then train. I've sourced a BLNR and new Air-King that way after being quoted long lists on both.

I'd say the most challenging ones will be BLNR, D-Blue and DaytonaC.
Sub, LV, Exp, AK etc will be hard to get but achieveable with a bit of tenacity.
Cheers Nairn,

I got lucky with my BLNR and LVC and have done as you have suggested regarding my next addition. I don't want to count my chickens but I am hopeful I will have it on my wrist within the next few weeks.🙏🏻🙏🏻
Steve36Efc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 10:10 PM   #49
Warg
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Absolutely agree with this. I've phoned every AD in Scotland looking for SubC and was told a minimum of 3 months. BLNR was minimum end of the year and DaytonaC is laughable waiting times so pointless even attempting to get one from an AD.

I don't know who you deal with in langs in Edinburgh but to say they offer discounts on any models other than PM especially models that you have to be on the aforementioned waiting list for is absolutely false. They literally have a list of people waiting to pay at full RRP.
Warg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 10:22 PM   #50
SC11
Banned

OP are you based in Scotland?

And how far are you willing to travel?
Old 8 March 2017, 10:30 PM   #51
Sailaway68
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubCLV. SubCNodate
Hi Warg.
Really I'm my experience better to talk face to face and let the staff know you are in a position to buy immediately . I know that they get a boring amount of calls for some models. The staff get good commission on sales and if you are in front of them in a position to buy it seems they find things in the safe that are not on display. I think largely waiting lists and cold calling an unknown ( to you, or more importantly you to them) is largely wasted time. Once you establish that there is stock then ask for a discount if you buy there and then with cash or debit card. They will not put the price up and can only say No. If you have the time, its also an enjoyable thing to do, pop into a few AD's, drink their coffee and talk about watches. Just my twopenny. Hope it helps in some way. Buying these beautiful creations is supposed to be a pleasure, not a stressful experience. Good luck
Sailaway68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 10:30 PM   #52
Sailaway68
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubCLV. SubCNodate
Sorry, posted twice for some reason...

Last edited by Sailaway68; 8 March 2017 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: D
Sailaway68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 10:33 PM   #53
Warg
"TRF" Member

Yes I am. I was willing to go to about a 100 mile travel. Which is looking increasingly less likely that I will get anything in that kind of distance so reading most comments I would either have to get lucky and willing to travel UK wide at the drop of a hat or accept the 3 months wait which isn't really all that bad.
Old 8 March 2017, 10:52 PM   #54
deuxani
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warg View Post
Yes I am. I was willing to go to about a 100 mile travel. Which is looking increasingly less likely that I will get anything in that kind of distance so reading most comments I would either have to get lucky and willing to travel UK wide at the drop of a hat or accept the 3 months wait which isn't really all that bad.
But even taking a flight to Amsterdam or any other European city would be cheaper than waiting and/or paying a premium in the UK.
deuxani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 10:58 PM   #55
Warg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxani View Post
But even taking a flight to Amsterdam or any other European city would be cheaper than waiting and/or paying a premium in the UK.
Really? What is the going rate from an AD in Amsterdam for a SubC black dial/ bezel if you don't mind me asking?
Old 8 March 2017, 11:07 PM   #56
wb55
"TRF" Member

I hear a lot about ADs being scared to discount due to pressure from Rolex but isn't it illegal to fix the price? The price (in the UK at least) is always RRP (recommended retail price).
wb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 11:23 PM   #57
Warg
"TRF" Member

Just had a look at European prices. Amsterdam in particular is RRP of €7850.

With the exchange rate at approx 1.1 GBP - EUR plus a flight of about £200, I really don't see any way that buying in Europe can be cheaper than in the U.K which is £6250 unless I'm missing something like tax free in airports plus decent discounts available.
Old 8 March 2017, 11:36 PM   #58
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb55 View Post
I hear a lot about ADs being scared to discount due to pressure from Rolex but isn't it illegal to fix the price? The price (in the UK at least) is always RRP (recommended retail price).
I don't know what the contractual arrangements are between Rolex and their ADs, nor what the legal position is re RRP, however it is clear that Rolex have very significant influence and leverage over their ADs who in turn may have to walk a very fine line. Discounting prices would seem to be something they pay particular attention to, although the irony of this is the way some models, the new Daytona being one, are selling outside of ADs (but possibly were supplied by them) with a very high mark up.
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 11:41 PM   #59
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warg View Post
You don't have to travel in the UK, I got a tip from this forum of a Subc in Manchester and called them up, and they posted it to me RMSD the next day, easy as pie. There's no worries with an AD and a new watch. You won't get a discount this way but that is the norm now, altho I got a free tie so I technically got £100 back.

Unless you have Euros, EU is too expensive now.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2017, 11:46 PM   #60
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
availability , united kingdom