The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 22 December 2018, 09:38 PM   #61
boatbasin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD16600,TTDJ,PTYM
"Online abusive relationship"? Sounds like she was a willing participant. They should do some research on her accounts to see if this was done before.
boatbasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2018, 10:42 PM   #62
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

good resolution... but im confused as the wire wasn't really "reversed" correct? Its going to be transferred back to you is my understanding as a separate transaction. Can a wire even be reversed? Thats my biggest fear if i ever sold anything... get paid, send the watch, and then the wire gets reversed. I don't think that is possible though
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2018, 10:32 AM   #63
uracowman
"TRF" Member

I’m a little late to the party but I thought once a wire is sent, it’s irreversible?

Soon to come: AP 26401 RG, AP 15202OR, Patek 3940G
uracowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2018, 11:01 AM   #64
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uracowman View Post
I’m a little late to the party but I thought once a wire is sent, it’s irreversible?
Not necessarily. This case proves its not always the case. The bar is set high though and you have to initiate process before funds are withdrawn or transferred at the receiving bank.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 12:25 PM   #65
mitchellp
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
Not necessarily. This case proves its not always the case. The bar is set high though and you have to initiate process before funds are withdrawn or transferred at the receiving bank.
That’s exactly right. Within 48 hrs of the wire being sent, I contacted the local PD, and both sending/receiving banks. This was immediately flagged as fraud, and most receiving banks will automatically freeze funds during their review period. The local PD assigned an investigator. I was EXTREMELY fortunate for the local PD, and the fact that the funds were never disbursed. As noted from others, the key is to act fast. Hopefully this does not happen to anyone else.
mitchellp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 05:46 PM   #66
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Thank you for sharing this story. Happy you got it sorted it out favorably. I have been very fortunate that from the beginning the very first guys I bought from were DavidSW and Bodybump who were stellar during the whole process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
good resolution... but im confused as the wire wasn't really "reversed" correct? Its going to be transferred back to you is my understanding as a separate transaction. Can a wire even be reversed? Thats my biggest fear if i ever sold anything... get paid, send the watch, and then the wire gets reversed. I don't think that is possible though
This would be interesting to know. I have heard of people paying(not sure exactly how, credit card maybe) and when the watch is shipped, they reverse the payment and the account is later to be discovered closed or something like that. Then you are sol on your watch.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 07:04 PM   #67
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellp View Post
That’s exactly right. Within 48 hrs of the wire being sent, I contacted the local PD, and both sending/receiving banks. This was immediately flagged as fraud, and most receiving banks will automatically freeze funds during their review period. The local PD assigned an investigator. I was EXTREMELY fortunate for the local PD, and the fact that the funds were never disbursed. As noted from others, the key is to act fast. Hopefully this does not happen to anyone else.
so should the standard be... wait 48hours as a seller to ship then?

I would be concerned with being accused of fraud by a scammer and then having to sort it out. I guess that's what i would do as i would want to protect myself.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 27 December 2018, 08:45 PM   #68
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
This case proves a wire transfer can be frozen for fraud, not that it can be reversed. A reverse would be performed by the buyer at will. This was frozen by the banks for fraud review at request of law enforcement, and a subsequent transfer made.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 08:53 PM   #69
T4ME
"TRF" Member

Perhaps it should be mandatory for new members to read certain threads as part of the onboarding process. Soon as you create an account you get to read the rules of the forum as well as some required reading. Perhaps TRF should create a clearing house, sellers send the watch to a neutral party... buyer sends money to same neutral party, payment and watch are verified, small fee is perhaps charged and all shipping and reshipping is on the buyer and seller …… just a thought
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 08:59 PM   #70
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4ME View Post
Perhaps it should be mandatory for new members to read certain threads as part of the onboarding process. Soon as you create an account you get to read the rules of the forum as well as some required reading. Perhaps TRF should create a clearing house, sellers send the watch to a neutral party... buyer sends money to same neutral party, payment and watch are verified, small fee is perhaps charged and all shipping and reshipping is on the buyer and seller …… just a thought
TRF offers a bulletin board for adults to find watches for sale. The forum isn't providing a service. Providing buyer training and intervening in sales is a service that imparts significant liability on the forum.

Better that people do proper due diligence before spending their money.
Old 28 December 2018, 12:20 AM   #71
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
This case proves a wire transfer can be frozen for fraud, not that it can be reversed. A reverse would be performed by the buyer at will. This was frozen by the banks for fraud review at request of law enforcement, and a subsequent transfer made.
I never said a reverse was possible in all instances if initiated quick enough. Obviously an investigation is required as is the assistance of the receiving bank. The point is a buyer can be made whole again if there is good reason ie scam. Wire transfers are NOT final.
Old 28 December 2018, 12:23 AM   #72
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
THIS is what i thought. not reversed.

Frozen. so the money cant go anywhere. Then i assume it gets confiscated some how and then it gets put back into the buyers account or the scammer is forced to transfer it back.

Not that the money goes, and then bounces back like a refund as part of the same transaction.
Old 28 December 2018, 12:39 AM   #73
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
I never said a reverse was possible in all instances if initiated quick enough. Obviously an investigation is required as is the assistance of the receiving bank. The point is a buyer can be made whole again if there is good reason ie scam. Wire transfers are NOT final.
It is final. The transaction is completed. Further recourse may be available, but the buyer alone cannot make that happen.

Words have meaning. And in this case the word reverse is not appropriate to the remedy, as it is not reversed. Rather, a second transaction is initiated as a result of the fraud case, presuming the case resolves in favor of the buyer and the funds are accessible.
Old 28 December 2018, 03:05 AM   #74
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Wow!
Glad it all worked out.
You were very fortunate on many fronts.
Old 28 December 2018, 05:03 AM   #75
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
TRF offers a bulletin board for adults to find watches for sale. The forum isn't providing a service. Providing buyer training and intervening in sales is a service that imparts significant liability on the forum.

Agreed.

Proof is that these suggestions pop up so often that it tells me newbies don’t bother to even read the stickies in the Classifieds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 09:40 AM   #76
mitchellp
Banned

Quote:
This is not exactly correct...

In most cases, local PD does not initiate the freeze. Once a bank even gets a whiff of fraud, they freeze the funds. My calls to my bank and the receiving bank were enough to immediately freeze the funds, not local PD contact.

The lessons: buy the seller, and if you do make a mistake (as you all should know, humans are prone to do) act FAST.
Old 28 December 2018, 09:42 AM   #77
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:

In most cases, local PD does not initiate the freeze. Once a bank even gets a whiff of fraud, they freeze the funds. My calls to my bank and the receiving bank were enough to immediately freeze the funds, not local PD contact.
+1
Old 28 December 2018, 10:33 AM   #78
T4ME
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I concede on the intervening and liability point. I still purpose the mandatory reading.
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 10:38 AM   #79
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:

The lessons: buy the seller, and if you do make a mistake (as you all should know, humans are prone to do) act FAST.
In virtually no case is the wire reversible without approval from the recipient once the funds are credited to the recipient. Otherwise, buyers could get their money back on any transaction with a phone call. The financial system would be unworkable. There has to be an investigation and both banks need to agree it's fraud (or in error), or a legal action needs to order the transfer.

You were fortunate that local PD provided the banks the information they needed to agree that fraud occurred, and that the scammer hadn't immediately disbursed the funds. Had it been just you asking for funds from the recipients account without law enforcement corroboration, or had the scammer acted fast and moved the funds, you would have no recourse to recover your funds.
Old 28 December 2018, 12:07 PM   #80
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

We could go around and around but the point is that fast work can get the funds wired to a fraudster back in one’s account.

The OP has done a great service explaining the whole scheme here and kibitzing about it with “if’s and but’s” is meaningless.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 12:18 PM   #81
mitchellp
Banned

Quote:
In virtually no case is the wire reversible without approval from the recipient once the funds are credited to the recipient. Otherwise, buyers could get their money back on any transaction with a phone call. The financial system would be unworkable. There has to be an investigation and both banks need to agree it's fraud (or in error), or a legal action needs to order the transfer.

You were fortunate that local PD provided the banks the information they needed to agree that fraud occurred, and that the scammer hadn't immediately disbursed the funds. Had it been just you asking for funds from the recipients account without law enforcement corroboration, or had the scammer acted fast and moved the funds, you would have no recourse to recover your funds.
Right, I apologize to all if I said or insinuated that this wire was “reversed.” The funds were sent back, regardless of the bank terminology.

You said that the investigator contacted the receiving back, thus, creating a freeze on the funds. That is incorrect.

In contacting both institutions, the receiving institution told me that they put a freeze on the funds at their bank (as I provided date, time, amount, etc.) at the time of my call, due to their back and forth with my bank, and my insistent calling. This was before an investigator contacted them.

Again, the minute a financial institution (especially a smaller, perhaps more conservative bank) receives word of fraud, typical bank protocol is to pause and investigate. I was incredibly fortunate in every stretch of the imagination, especially in the fact that the funds were still in the bank.
Old 28 December 2018, 12:22 PM   #82
mitchellp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
We could go around and around but the point is that fast work can get the funds wired to a fraudster back in one’s account.

The OP has done a great service explaining the whole scheme here and kibitzing about it with “if’s and but’s” is meaningless.

Totally agree. Seriously, thank you all for your support, guidance, and wisdom.
Old 28 December 2018, 12:23 PM   #83
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
-Banned user Rode

Sorry to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 09:15 PM   #84
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Right, I apologize to all if I said or insinuated that this wire was “reversed.” The funds were sent back, regardless of the bank terminology.

You said that the investigator contacted the receiving back, thus, creating a freeze on the funds. That is incorrect.

In contacting both institutions, the receiving institution told me that they put a freeze on the funds at their bank (as I provided date, time, amount, etc.) at the time of my call, due to their back and forth with my bank, and my insistent calling. This was before an investigator contacted them.

Again, the minute a financial institution (especially a smaller, perhaps more conservative bank) receives word of fraud, typical bank protocol is to pause and investigate. I was incredibly fortunate in every stretch of the imagination, especially in the fact that the funds were still in the bank.
Banks don't freeze funds just on someone's say so. If they did, it would get abused and there would be a million claims a day. And a recipient's bank will protect the recipient's interests to avoid being liable for scurrilous claims against the recipient.

I thought I implied your case is unique because the local PD gave the banks the evidence they needed to act quickly. Without that, it would have just been your claims against his claims, which would have needed a court to resolve.

No one should entertain a wire transfer with the notion that they can just get it reversed if something goes wrong. Which, goes back to buy the seller.
Old 28 December 2018, 09:42 PM   #85
mitchellp
Banned

[QUOTE=Abdullah71601;9209089] Banks don't freeze funds just on someone's say so. If they did, it would get abused and there would be a million claims a day. And a recipients bank will protect the recipients interests to avoid being liable for scurrilous claims against the recipient.

I do agree to an extent, however, this is likely an overly simplistic view of bank protocol.

I reported the incident to both banks within 48 hrs. Once the receiving bank heard from both me and my bank, a freeze was put on the funds. At the point of the freeze, no investigator was involved. Therefore, the freeze was in fact based on someone’s say so.

Given a conversation with a receiving bank rep, it’s likely they honored our request due to suspicious activity; perhaps multiple inflows and outflows offshore, wires from different people for large amounts, etc.. Who knows, but yes, funds were frozen prior to investigator/local PD correspondence.
Old 28 December 2018, 09:59 PM   #86
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
I do agree to an extent, however, this is likely an overly simplistic view of bank protocol.

I reported the incident to both banks within 48 hrs. Once the receiving bank heard from both me and my bank, a freeze was put on the funds. At the point of the freeze, no investigator was involved. Therefore, the freeze was in fact based on someone’s say so.

Given a conversation with a receiving bank rep, it’s likely they honored our request due to suspicious activity; perhaps multiple inflows and outflows offshore, wires from different people for large amounts, etc.. Who knows, but yes, funds were frozen prior to investigator/local PD correspondence.
I concede that you got a bank to act on your say so (I'd never bank there if that's all it took to freeze an account).

Implying that people here will get their money back with a few phone calls as long as they act fast is dangerous.