The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 September 2017, 10:54 AM   #1
BristolCavendish
Banned

Luminova/Tritium Clarified & Explained

If you've ever wondered why some watches with Luminova require a significant 'charge' while others need less, this might explain some of the deviations.

http://www.kronometric.org/article/lume/

I know a guy who exposes one of his Luminova-lumed watches with a high-intensity/LED flashlight for about 15+ seconds in order for it to effectively glow at night. On the other hand, he has another watch with Luminova that seemingly builds up enough charge via daylight and room lighting.

I'm somewhat partial to tritium which under most normal conditions tends to outperform Luminova from the standpoint of continued brightness while eliminating the need for an 'outside charge'. Perhaps tritium's only drawback is its inherent 12.3 years of usable/practical life.

Radium on the other hand, is an entirely different story. Variances in radioactive output + its 'crumbly' aged appearance leaves something to be desired IMO. While tritium aficionados rave about 'patina', decomposing radium tends to look pretty crappy and often detracts from an otherwise pristine vintage-era Rolex.

The tritium lume on my 16610 has pretty much gone south. Visible yet faint. While the Luminova lifespan is a vast improvement, it'd be great if someone came up with something that didn't have to be 'charged' in order to be effective.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 11:22 AM   #2
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
My Luminox night time watch uses tritium tubes. No charging, no patina, bright after 15 years. My Rolex watches sleep in the safe at night and my Luminox shines brightly.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote