The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 January 2007, 04:46 AM   #1
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Vacationing soon... Need advice

Im headin to Cabo San Lucas for the first time on Friday, But friends and family are telling me Mexico is not the safest place. Ive been to Cancun a couple of years ago it seemed fine. Now in regards to my newly acquired Rolex, They say ppl would literally rip it off my hand if they saw it. Should I play it safe and put it in "the vault" until I come back?

In the meantime I can use this watch which feels neglected lately

What do you guys suggest? And for the record I am placing my Fiances engagement ring in the vault since that rock will be way to dangerous to walk around with
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2007, 05:10 AM   #2
Orangeman

Watch: Datejust
First of all - why would you choose to vacation in a place where you've been told that there are brazen, lawless thugs roaming the streets?

I've never been to Cabo but I have been to several other places in Mexico. I have a hard time believing that in a resort area the Mexican government, which relies on tourist dollars, is so laisez-faire that ripping watches off the hands of the touristas has become common practice.

You indicate that you are posting from NYC. Can I assume you ride the subway? Walk the streets? I don't think that wearing an expensive watch in Cabo is any more or less risky than wearing it on NYC streets.

I'm in NYC, wear my Rolex everyday, I'll be in Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo next month and plan to sport it there as well. My wife will be bringing whatever jewelry it is that she wears as well - diamond rings and expensive watch included.

And why would a thief not grab the Breitling?

If you think you'd be so worried about it that it would not allow you to relax whilst doing your tequila shots then by all means leave it home.

Bring your Timex and have a good vacation.

Last edited by Orangeman; 18 January 2007 at 06:44 AM..
Orangeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2007, 05:41 AM   #3
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
If you don't feel comfortable wearing it, then don't.
Its more likely that nothing will happen to you anyway, but the mental stress isn't worth it if you are worry about the place that you are going to.

Its like if know that I am going to do something stupid like bungee jumping, I will remove my valuables first. You get the idea.

Have fun!
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2007, 06:03 AM   #4
Fiwi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ladies SS/Plat YM
My mother has taken a couple vacations in Cabo and had a wonderful time. She said she never felt unsafe. Of course she remained within the confines of her resort. If you intend to wander outside a resort, then I would leave all your valuable at home. Better safe than sorry.
Fiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2007, 06:10 AM   #5
rolexfan21

Watch: 16610
My family often travels, and whenever we do we dont bring expensive things if we go to places like indonesia or cuba or whereever is unsafe. IMHO if you did take it nothing would probably happen to you... but if you DONT take it nothing will definitely not happen to you. Dont bring your watch... i think u can last a week or two without it. :) just my opinion
rolexfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2007, 06:20 AM   #6
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
The breitling looks like a very nice watch IMHO. I would get a timex and leave both in the vault!
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2007, 06:40 AM   #7
Goldsplinter

Quote:
If you think you'd be so worried about it that it would not allow you to relax whilst doing your tequila shots then by all means leave it home.

Bring your Timex and have a good vacation
Well Said.
Goldsplinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2007, 07:19 AM   #8
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Thing is, Its an organized vacation with my community. I do feel safe going there, But at night when I want to wander around the town, That might be the unsafe part.
The Breitling is less visible than a TT Daytona imho, So I guess the Rollie will have to take a 10 day break.

On a side note, I noticed the watch could be a bit more snug on my wrist, I dont have much time to take it to a dealer, So does anyone with knowledge of the Pilot bracelet know how to remove a link? I unscrewed the screw but the pin seems to be stuck and the other side of the bracelet is a solid piece, doesnt have a screw.
Old 18 January 2007, 08:48 AM   #9
President
Banned

Watch: Bear Grylls
Buy a plastic Casio and lock up the Breitling. Don't wear anything shiny, it's not worth it.
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2007, 09:48 AM   #10
chucker
"TRF" Member

insurance is the answer

get all jewelry insured asap. it goes on homeowners policy. peanuts. wear the watch, enjoy it. chucker
chucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2007, 10:42 AM   #11
henry2703
"TRF" Member

my wife and i went to italy recently... As i mentioned before, i feel naked without my watch with me...

My wife's advised was that we shouldn't bring anything "precious" along... Damn... i felt bad leaving her at home man!.....

The watch... not the woman...

my 2 cents worth.... don't bring it! not even the brietling
Old 18 January 2007, 03:55 PM   #12
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Im just going to bring the Breitling, I feel ok with it. I also have a Breitling Colt chronograph... maybe ill bring that along instead of the chronomat
Old 19 January 2007, 12:18 AM   #13
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Icon4

HEY BOYS! With all due respect; my country is a fantastic place! Yes, I agree that places like Mexico City are tough (think New York 15 yrs ago...now double it!) but some others are just as dangerous as any other city in the world.

Cancun and Cabo LIVE for and by tourism, that is why we have tons of hotels and nice restaurants (some tequila from Sammy....Cabo Wabo as well!) and a very nice AD in both places: Ultrafemme; which happens to be one of the top 4 dealers for Rolex WORLDWIDE.

Think of Cabo as you would do of any other place. Do I wear my Rolex when I go to Manhattan? Sure! But I am also aware that there are some places where I should not walk at night.

I travel a LOT for business, and I have never ever had a problem @ Cabo. If that was a troublesome place; why would Princess, Carnival and Royal Caribbean stop there?! I think places like Jamaica are more dangerous and still problems are very limited.

I would just say: wear whatever you feel comfortable with, but please, do not go into 'panic attack' just because it's Mexico; if someone wants to 'hit you' they will be able to tell you are a tourist and not because of your watch.

Enjoy your vacation and don't worry about your watch.

BTW, stop by Ultrafemme....
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2007, 01:56 AM   #14
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
Well said Gerardo...

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2007, 02:23 AM   #15
President
Banned

Watch: Bear Grylls
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
get all jewelry insured asap. it goes on homeowners policy. peanuts. wear the watch, enjoy it. chucker
It's not about the value, it's about stabbing or shooting, etc.
I have lived in such places before but not in Mexico.
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2007, 02:47 AM   #16
wmthedirector
"TRF" Member

Solo:
iam across the river from you, 5 min. only, its much safer you leave it with me,
wmthedirector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2007, 02:53 AM   #17
advocatia
Banned

Watch: PAM 422 GMTIIC
I will be in Cozumel in a few days wearing my insured SS/PLT YM.

I have never felt unsafe in Mexico. There are parts of Miami however ....
advocatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2007, 03:35 AM   #18
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardoG View Post
HEY BOYS! With all due respect; my country is a fantastic place! Yes, I agree that places like Mexico City are tough (think New York 15 yrs ago...now double it!) but some others are just as dangerous as any other city in the world.

Cancun and Cabo LIVE for and by tourism, that is why we have tons of hotels and nice restaurants (some tequila from Sammy....Cabo Wabo as well!) and a very nice AD in both places: Ultrafemme; which happens to be one of the top 4 dealers for Rolex WORLDWIDE.

Think of Cabo as you would do of any other place. Do I wear my Rolex when I go to Manhattan? Sure! But I am also aware that there are some places where I should not walk at night.

I travel a LOT for business, and I have never ever had a problem @ Cabo. If that was a troublesome place; why would Princess, Carnival and Royal Caribbean stop there?! I think places like Jamaica are more dangerous and still problems are very limited.

I would just say: wear whatever you feel comfortable with, but please, do not go into 'panic attack' just because it's Mexico; if someone wants to 'hit you' they will be able to tell you are a tourist and not because of your watch.

Thank you for the advice... I just wanted to make sure you didnt think I was stereotyping Mexico as a country, Just a few family members warned me to be careful with expensive items (Big rings, Fancy watches) I rather not take the chance with the new Daytona, But I am totally comfortable bringing the Breitling. I hear Cabo is beatiful, And I will be there in about 24 hours from now. Now I just hope that weather can clear up so I can get a nice tan.
Old 19 January 2007, 07:31 AM   #19
Goldsplinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardoG View Post

hehe, cool post!
Goldsplinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2007, 12:15 PM   #20
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Thank you all for your comments. SOLO 118: Enjoy Cabo, I know you will be back. ADVOCATIA: Let me know when, I live extremely close to Cozumel!
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2007, 12:35 PM   #21
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Sometimes the news today makes it seem that the world is unsafe. However, it does not stop us from getting out of houses to walk, to work etc.

Bring whatever it is you are comfortable at.