The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 11 December 2018, 06:10 AM   #1
kronomentro
"TRF" Member

Watch: APRO & PPRegulator
Patek Dial "Value" in Calatrava Enamel References?

After watching many of the Hodinkee 10 videos online from this past weekend festivities, I was left with a question that I suspect you esteemed gentleman/?ladies would be able to answer:

Within the Patek universe, where is there an opportunity for dial aesthetic/artistry within the context of "value"?
I was thinking enamel Calatrava e.g. Ref 5120/5116 but are there others you all would consider?

This forum has turned into a Patek sport forum in my impression because
when deconstructing a watch using the auction house/Aurel Bacs rubric of: 1. Dial 2. Case 3. Movement, there is actual incredible "value" in the Nautilus as the case and movement (esp 240) are brilliant.

From Goldberger to Bacs to other many other panelists, dial aesthetics seem to be prioritized . Certainly Patek makes incredible pieces in the 100k+ range with enamel or Cloisonné but how about something for the non-ultra net worth ($30 mil+ by definition) enthusiast?

I apologize for the long winded post, but I hope to spur some conversation between all the 57xx talk
kronomentro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 06:33 AM   #2
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

I love enamel dials. Your cheapest option in a Patek that one would want to own would be in a 5131 which in gold can be had under 100k if you look hard enough.

Other nice options are Langematik anniversary (one sold just now in rough condition at Christies).

The truth is there are not many nice and collectible watches under 100k lol! Sad but true.
Old 11 December 2018, 10:07 PM   #3
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

i would definitely go for the 5016 at 36mm. This is on the small end of the scale and the 5020 value will probably not hold up as well at 35mm. I know it is just one mm, but that is getting small. I would expect at some point Patek, upsizes the hobnail to 38mm. I think it would be a good commercial move.
Michael T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 10:29 PM   #4
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
First off what value is there in a 5711? Which you cannot buy. The 5711 that are currently be offered have all the value sucked out.

One thread that was throughout the Hodinkee videos was VINTAGE. This is were you might find some value.
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 03:58 AM   #5
kronomentro
"TRF" Member

Watch: APRO & PPRegulator
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriedkin View Post
First off what value is there in a 5711? Which you cannot buy. The 5711 that are currently be offered have all the value sucked out.

One thread that was throughout the Hodinkee videos was VINTAGE. This is were you might find some value.
Yes, you are correct that the wait time to obtain a steel nautilus is a cost albeit not financial. But if we use the Buffet definition of value "what you get" It seems most here would still believe MSRP steel nautilus are at the top of the case and near the top of movement rankings.

These days vintage patek as prices have gone up tremendously, hence my search for relative value in dials rather than case, as Patek movements are always exquisite.

Im not a fan of hobnail in general but it seems to have been paired with enamel dials in recent models. Idk if its THAT much value but with a relative lack of demand for Calatrava models, prices dont seem to be crazy for these from the 90s/2000s.
kronomentro is offline   Reply With Quote