Old 20 August 2006, 04:29 PM   #92
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag_addict View Post
JJ - read, they're posted :)
Thanks, I saw that!! Congrats!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2006, 01:55 AM   #93
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
I am 40 (although I turn 41 next week). I bought my first Rolex, a Sub Date, when I was 26, after waiting 10 years until I was out of school and had enough money. It was a terribly long wait.

That was it until 2003, when I won my second Rolex, a black dial Ex II, in a raffle. I didn't like it, so I exchanged it and some cash for a TT Blue Sub. That was when I was bitten hard by the Rolex bug, and I have been speeding down this slippery slope ever since. In the past three years, I have owned about 20, and I have settled in to the 40mm sports models. I currently have 11.
Old 21 August 2006, 02:36 AM   #94
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subfiend View Post
I am 40 (although I turn 41 next week). I bought my first Rolex, a Sub Date, when I was 26, after waiting 10 years until I was out of school and had enough money. It was a terribly long wait.

That was it until 2003, when I won my second Rolex, a black dial Ex II, in a raffle. I didn't like it, so I exchanged it and some cash for a TT Blue Sub. That was when I was bitten hard by the Rolex bug, and I have been speeding down this slippery slope ever since. In the past three years, I have owned about 20, and I have settled in to the 40mm sports models. I currently have 11.
How about a group shot?
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2006, 04:35 AM   #95
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subfiend View Post

20? Wow, you now make my 17 look less by comparison!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 21 August 2006, 08:22 AM   #96
pandrew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
I would love to see some pics of your GO and Lange!
Send me a message on how to upload a picture and I'll try. Or more likely, I'll have my sec. do it Tues. (I don't know how to upload a picture)
Rob
pandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2006, 06:37 PM   #97
bogey

Watch: GMTII ,SUB, EXPII
I'm 30, received my 1st rolex 5 yrs. ago ,exp II white dial, as a gift from my father for going to law school. Collected a couple of watches in between, a few Omega's and other watches also inherited a DJ from my grandfather ( which i can't seem to wear since it's all yg.Caught the bug badly this year, as I got a sub date ( as a gift for myself for finishing law school ) and a GMT II... after getting the GMT , I kinda mellowed down.Not really in the hunt right now. It's an expensive hobby. Despite that I enjoy reading the very knowledgeable posts and insights that our resident experts share. Of course I enjoy the picks and the acquisition stories of our other members
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2007, 07:11 PM   #98
Kris
Banned

Watch: Sea-Dweller Z-ser.
Just bought my first Rolex, brand spanking new, for cash, an SD, at the ripe old age of 33.
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2007, 07:49 PM   #99
Spark
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
[QUOTE=Atl;97163]Speaking of the guy with the GT-3, I just stopped at the gas station, (TO EMPTY THE CONTENTS OF MY WALLET INTO THE GAS TANK!!) When a brand new Lamborgini pulls up, and out comes this REALLY old guy from the drivers side, he looked about 80. As I picked up my jaw from the ground, I struck up a conversation as we were filling up, and found out that he just bought it for his 78'th birthday! When I get that old, I want to be him!

That's some late mid life crisis!!!
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2007, 09:22 PM   #100
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
[QUOTE=Spark;166047]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl View Post
Speaking of the guy with the GT-3, I just stopped at the gas station, (TO EMPTY THE CONTENTS OF MY WALLET INTO THE GAS TANK!!) When a brand new Lamborgini pulls up, and out comes this REALLY old guy from the drivers side, he looked about 80. As I picked up my jaw from the ground, I struck up a conversation as we were filling up, and found out that he just bought it for his 78'th birthday! When I get that old, I want to be him!

That's some late mid life crisis!!!

I'd ask him what he would do different to get there sooner. I bet he'd have sage advice!
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2007, 10:33 PM   #101
gmt 16750
"TRF" Member

Watch: what your doing.
Currently 34 years young and am amazed at your memory power guys!! I can't remember what I did/had last week
What I can remember is:
Had a Tudor Date-Day when I was 18/19 until about 24ish then nothing worth mentioning until I got a GMT 16700 about 9 or 10 years ago (long since gone) - the rest is history.
I can 100% recall buying my brand new SD from an AD on October 2001.
gmt 16750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2007, 11:13 PM   #102
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I am 41 yrs young...

I currently have 3 Rollies in my collection. A Z series GMT II, a Z series SD and a T series SS DJ. I also have a SS Tudor Sub from 1986.

My wife has 2 Rollies. A D series model 178271, TT DJ and a T series SS DJ.

First got interested in Rolex when I saw James Bond, Live and Let Die when he wore that famous Sub. It has gone from owning one nice watch to a sickness that many of you share

Flyjet601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2007, 11:53 PM   #103
Fiwi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ladies SS/Plat YM
I'm 35. Mom of 2 seriously sweet kiddos ages 3 and 14 months. The arrival of my yacht-master next week will be my first Rolex. I'm not a collector of things, and this will probably be my one and only. Who knows though as you guys certainly feed the obsession! LOL
Fiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2007, 12:07 AM   #104
jimbones43
"TRF" Member

I'm 45 and just bought my first Rolex thi past>>>>

September. I bought my first high end watch in 2000, a Tag. Between then and now I've owned and sold several Omegas. Bought the one I always wanted, A Rolex Sub. After a death in the family this past summer I needed a little pick me up. I'm really enjoying the timepiece and with the help of another forum member found it just before the price increase.

Cheers,
Jimbones

jimbones43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2007, 12:19 AM   #105
A. Jacobs
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date 16610
Icon3

I am 27 and I just bought my first Rolex about one month ago. The first time a Rolex ever caught my eye was about 15 years ago when I saw my step-uncles' solid gold Day-Date, and ever since then, I always wanted to own one of my own. When I was 21, I bought my first "luxury watch". For some James Bond inspired reason, I settled for an Omega instead of saving a little more for a Rolex. I sold my first Seamaster last fall and bought the newer version with the co-axial movement, and then I talked myself into buying my first Rolex just a few weeks after my second Omega purchase. After I walked out of my AD with the new Omega Last November, I looked at it on my wrist and I thought to myself...this is a nice watch. But when I purchased my SS Submariner in December and walked out of the AD into the parking lot, I thought to myself... WOW! I actually have a Rolex on my wrist! I love my SUB and I wear it whenever I get the chance. My new Omega on the other hand has sat in the winder ever since my SUB found its way into my life.( sounds pathetic, I know )
I guess all I can say is that there are few things that can compare to the purchase of a new Rolex. In my opinion Rolex is the best.
In fact, I am already planning my second Rolex purchase just 11 months from now. I was planning on buying a DJ, but after some very careful thought and after seeing the pictures that JJ posts of his , I will be buying the TT SUB with the blue dial. I even keep a picture of the TT SUB on my computer 24/7 to remind myself of what I am saving for......I think I'm obsessed.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
A. Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2007, 12:26 AM   #106
watchdawg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
This thread got me thinking when did I buy my GMT, 32 years ago. I'm 55 bought it because I wanted the added time zone function and the sub was $30 dollars more. GMT was $400 and I thought that was enough to spend. Still have that watch thou others have come and gone. An old friend that has been abused and still comes back for more.
watchdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2007, 04:59 AM   #107
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Jacobs View Post
...but after some very careful thought and after seeing the pictures that JJ posts of his , I will be buying the TT SUB with the blue dial. I even keep a picture of the TT SUB on my computer 24/7 to remind myself of what I am saving for......I think I'm obsessed.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Andrew!! Here's another one or two to keep you drooling and a wee bit more obsessed till the end of this year!!

Old 21 January 2007, 05:04 AM   #108
A. Jacobs
"TRF" Member

Thanks JJ, that really helps my already low amount of patience.

By the way, did I read that you own the TT blue YM and no longer have the TT blue Sub??? Or did I read something wrong?

Old 21 January 2007, 05:06 AM   #109
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Thanks JJ, that really helps my already low amount of patience.

By the way, did I read that you own the TT blue YM and no longer have the TT blue Sub??? Or did I read something wrong?
What do those pics above look like, Andrew!??

Old 21 January 2007, 06:08 AM   #110
FastBurner

Watch: Aquanaut/AK/PAM000
I bought my first Rolex last year when I was 27. I had been wearing a Timex Ironman 24/7 ever since I bought it in basic training almost 10 years ago. It was getting ready to disintegrate, so I needed to replace it. I had always wanted a Rolex, based on their good looks and durability. I really beat the crap out of things, so I wanted something that would last. I decided on the Air King for it's smaller size, and simplistic looks. It was the same size as the Ironman, and I loved the all steel model.

I love the watch, but within 3 months I was really feeling sorry for it. I have scratched the beauty right out of it. I know its the cool thing to say on these forums that scratches look cool on a watch, and it gives it character, but those people haven't seen what I do to watches. I think the Air King was too "dressy" to look good scratched all to hell.

So I went out and picked up a new 14060M this month, and I already love it. For some reason, I have no remorse putting this watch through it's paces. It's my tool watch, and it's looks fine with all it's beautiful scuffs.

I just turned my Air King today to have the scrathces buffed out, and whenever I want to wear a pristine Rolex, I can slap it on. I think a part of the problem was that it was my first watch, and something I would probably pass on, and I didn't want to ruin it. And now I won't.
FastBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2007, 06:18 AM   #111
A. Jacobs
"TRF" Member

Sorry for the confusion, JJ, but.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Good luck, Chris. I used to own the TT Blue Sub.....but got rid of it only in favour of the TT Blue YM. Sorry, just couldn't afford to keep both. But the Blue Sub and white Daytona combo would be lethal, man!!
This is what I was refering to.

Old 21 January 2007, 06:58 AM   #112
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
I'm 30 and I got my first Rolex a little over 2 months ago as a belated 30th birthday present to myself. The 50th anniversary sub 16610LV is my first and only Rolex and it caught my interest back in 2003 when it first came out. My second one will probably be a TT blue sub and my third will probably be a datejust or day-date but those won't be anytime soon.
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2007, 07:09 AM   #113
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
I got my first Rolex at 22 it was a TT DJ with a brushed silver(ss?) dial (1986).
I traded it with my brother for his GMT a few year after that...

I learned to scuba in the early 90's and couldn't afford a Rolex sub so I made do with the GMT but bought a Seiko diver for my (deeper) dive watch.

I became a firefighter in 99 and got a SD about 4 years after when I made it to a station that had a Rescue Squad (we do water rescues as well).

I sold the GMT to partially finance the SD purchase...

I missed the lighter GMT at times and eventually came across a used GMT II that I couldn't resist. I was bitten and the collection started to grow.

I'm now 43 and have too many of the damned things... mostly because the couple of times that I've gone to sell this Explorer or that newer GMTII, the buyer turned out to be kinda jerky so I basically refused to sell.

Cheers, y'all... I'm glad I found you guys (and girls).

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2007, 07:28 AM   #114
amanda
Banned

Quote:
This is what I was refering to.
If I may step in... the post you originally read where it says JJ 'used' to have the TT Blue Sub was some 6+ mths ago. Since then JJ flipped the YM and got himself another brand new TT Blue Sub!

I know its confusing eh????

amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2007, 07:33 AM   #115
amanda
Banned

I'm 35 and got my first fancy watch in 2001 a Tag (ladies size)... hit some bad times and needed the cash so I sold it.

Wind forward to 2006... I became hooked again, only this time I had the income to actually buy watches. Got a ladies Omega vintage Seamaster DeVille Cross hair dial from the mid 50's..sold it as I felt I couldnt wear it due to its tiny size.... I then discovered the Tudor Mini-Sub and that lightened my fire for wanting a Rolex GMT Master 2 with Pepsi Bezel, I got the watch but it stopped singing to me immediately and I found it uncomfortable to wear due to the flat nature of the case. Sold it

Now i am hooked on getting a Panerai. Thats on the cards, paid for and waiting for AD to get it in! But I'm not done with Rolex either - I'd like one more watch and that will be an Air-King in a few months time. The AK will be my more dressy watch for when the PAM is a bit much.
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2007, 08:10 AM   #116
A. Jacobs
"TRF" Member

Thank you for clearing that up, Amanda.

Old 21 January 2007, 11:48 AM   #117
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Thank you for clearing that up, Amanda.
Sorry for the mix-up, Andrew. I used to own a TT Blue SUB...then sold it for the fascination of the TT Blue YM which I kept for about one year.

Then sold the YM last month and got the new TT Blue SUB!!

JJ

In order of pictures....ex TT Blue SUB, TT Blue YM and current TT Blue SUB!!

Old 21 January 2007, 11:53 AM   #118
A. Jacobs
"TRF" Member

JJ, the Sub is MUCH better looking than the YM. I hope you hold on to that one.

Old 21 January 2007, 11:55 AM   #119
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
JJ, the Sub is MUCH better looking than the YM. I hope you hold on to that one.
I know, Andrew....I intend holding on to this baby now that I've got it second time around!!

Old 21 January 2007, 04:10 PM   #120
ROLEX4FD

Watch: TT Blue Sub & SDDS
I'm 47, and was 46 when I got my first and only Rolex (TT Blue Sub). However, I had been wanting one the better part of my adult life. It was worth the wait and the simple pleasure I get when I put it on and/or check the time is indescribeable. In my case, age and patience was rewarded with achievement and appreciation. Enjoy..........
ROLEX4FD is offline   Reply With Quote