The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 26 April 2022, 11:33 AM   #31
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan2009 View Post
Was this at a Lange Boutique or AD? Boutique would never ask you to spend money on watches you don’t want. I almost cost an AD their partnership with Richmont because they asked me to spend a certain amount of money before I could get the watches I want.
All the brand boutiques are operating in the same way. AP, Lange and VC...
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2022, 11:39 AM   #32
Gotwire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag5178 View Post
Lange boutiques, in my opinion are very open and obvious about purchase requirements for desirable models. I don’t think it’s a big secret that the spend requirement for a titanium odysseus is 4-500k.
Agreed. But have a minimum amount of spend, and let the customer pick what pieces make up that amount. Not a list of pieces.

So for me it’s two issues.

1. Full price deposit over 12+ months.

2. Customer should be able to select what pieces will meet the quota for an allocation. The new Lange 1 QP and Triple Split trump 1815 Tourbillon for me.
Gotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2022, 11:43 AM   #33
rag5178
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotwire View Post
Agreed. But have a minimum amount of spend, and let the customer pick what pieces make up that amount. Not a list of pieces.

So for me it’s two issues.

1. Full price deposit over 12+ months.

2. Customer should be able to select what pieces will meet the quota for an allocation. The new Lange 1 QP and Triple Split trump 1815 Tourbillon for me.
Oh yeah totally agreed, sorry my reply was meant to be in response to the poster saying they’ve never been asked to buy other watches to get the one they want.
rag5178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2022, 11:47 AM   #34
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
It’s an absolutely absurd way for a brand owned boutique to do business. As noted above you’re basically calling many of your high end watches garbage and asking for a loan which tells me they need the working capital.

Much smaller production but Journe wouldn’t ask for your money upfront let alone a year and certainly doesn’t try to place watches with collectors which they don’t want. Every piece is wanted by someone. If you have watches nobody wants…wait for it…stop making them in such quantities or altogether.
Old 26 April 2022, 04:47 PM   #35
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
And also FWIW I was not required to bundle to get the lumen allocation

They vehemently denied any bundle requirement

AFTER I was already approved for the lumen I did order another piece but it was totally at my request not theirs
Great to hear you have a Lumen coming.
Russell996 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2022, 05:00 PM   #36
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
As has been noted by others the Zeitwerk Lumen requires the prior purchase of a “high complication” piece from boutique. The lowest priced piece is the 1815 Tourbillon in pink gold at $180900. To order that piece the boutique wants a full price deposit with at least a 12 month wait for the 1815 Tourbillon.

I’m not convinced it’s reasonable to full pay that amount and wait at least 12 months?

BTW the Lumen would take up to 3 years.

Have to say I don’t understand your issue, the ZW HG Lumen is vastly oversubscribed and there is a policy of only selling to clients who have a certain spend level to reward their previous support for the brand. If someone doesn’t qualify for the purchase then there is the option to bring themselves up to the required spend level to qualify for the Lumen by buying a piece prescribed by ALS. For what it’s worth I applied and was turned down because I already own a Lumen model and the Boutique wanted to supply good clients who previously missed out, my spend level was immaterial with regards to getting a ZW Lumen.
Old 26 April 2022, 06:58 PM   #37
Watchristic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Have to say I don’t understand your issue, the ZW HG Lumen is vastly oversubscribed and there is a policy of only selling to clients who have a certain spend level to reward their previous support for the brand. If someone doesn’t qualify for the purchase then there is the option to bring themselves up to the required spend level to qualify for the Lumen by buying a piece prescribed by ALS. For what it’s worth I applied and was turned down because I already own a Lumen model and the Boutique wanted to supply good clients who previously missed out, my spend level was immaterial with regards to getting a ZW Lumen.

Is this below the required level? …

Quote:
Since 2019 from boutique have purchased Zeitwerk, Zeitwerk Date, Lange 1 platinum, Lange 1 TZ YG, SS Odysseus and WG Odysseus with order for Lange 1 QP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watchristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2022, 07:06 PM   #38
Watchristic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As has been noted by others the Zeitwerk Lumen requires the prior purchase of a “high complication” piece from boutique. The lowest priced piece is the 1815 Tourbillon in pink gold at $180900. To order that piece the boutique wants a full price deposit with at least a 12 month wait for the 1815 Tourbillon.

I’m not convinced it’s reasonable to full pay that amount and wait at least 12 months?

BTW the Lumen would take up to 3 years.

Absolutely no go for me whatsoever. Very unethical by badly managed brand and this assures me the future of Lange is uncertain at best.

If I were you I would not have only refused the stupid contingent offer but sent all my langes to auction same day.

Old 26 April 2022, 07:07 PM   #39
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchristic View Post
Is this below the required level? …

No idea - I guess it depends who else is asking for a Lumen at that Boutique. The piece is massively oversubscribed and yet the OP has been offered an option to secure one.
Old 26 April 2022, 07:08 PM   #40
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhahn44 View Post
Seriously? This is ridiculous. Heard of crazy bundling stories but a fully paid Tourbillion and 3 years wait on top is close to unethical…I really hope Lange is not overstretching it.
Heard of very serious collectors who didn’t even watch their booth at W+W cause of all this practices…

I used to be a big fan of Lange, but I'm starting to lose interest
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2022, 07:48 PM   #41
Watchristic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No idea - I guess it depends who else is asking for a Lumen at that Boutique. The piece is massively oversubscribed and yet the OP has been offered an option to secure one.

After looking at the op history. He already wrote about this and stated he declined the offer 3 months back. I’m now questioning his credibility.

Old 26 April 2022, 11:25 PM   #42
Gotwire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchristic View Post
After looking at the op history. He already wrote about this and stated he declined the offer 3 months back. I’m now questioning his credibility.

I did. And they offered again. Not sure what credibility has to do with what’s being offered and how. But thanks for the detective work. Let me know if you need a horological CV attached to the thread. LOL.
Old 26 April 2022, 11:40 PM   #43
Dalaruan
"TRF" Member

This isn't even close to the worst lange has done. Obviously it depends on which area you're from, but Lange BT does treat their customer like sh1t because they know the fans will forgive them no matter what they've done ��
Dalaruan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2022, 11:52 PM   #44
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalaruan View Post
This isn't even close to the worst lange has done. Obviously it depends on which area you're from, but Lange BT does treat their customer like sh1t because they know the fans will forgive them no matter what they've done
Until the market changes and we get the next downturn.

In just the past two or so decades, we've been through three downturns so far since i've been collecting. It might get very ugly this next downturn and am sure many enthusiasts will remember how certain brands took their customers for granted.

jmho
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 12:01 AM   #45
rag5178
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To me, the biggest issue is not that they are requiring a spend level, but dictating a select group of watches that qualify for that spend. Lange is effectively saying, “hey, these are the watches we can’t sell. Buy one of these”
Old 27 April 2022, 12:18 AM   #46
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

I just checked my messages from last year. I asked the boutique about the SS Odysseus, they told me I need to spend $60K minimum on another watch first (can’t be a limited or boutique edition or WG Odysseus) and then wait 2 years for the SS Odysseus. I’m sure it’s probably even worse now.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 12:48 AM   #47
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
I just checked my messages from last year. I asked the boutique about the SS Odysseus, they told me I need to spend $60K minimum on another watch first (can’t be a limited or boutique edition or WG Odysseus) and then wait 2 years for the SS Odysseus. I’m sure it’s probably even worse now.
rest assured the goal posts have been moved substantially
Old 27 April 2022, 01:00 AM   #48
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
rest assured the goal posts have been moved substantially
Guess I’ll just continue to admire their watches from afar.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 01:34 AM   #49
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag5178 View Post
To me, the biggest issue is not that they are requiring a spend level, but dictating a select group of watches that qualify for that spend. Lange is effectively saying, “hey, these are the watches we can’t sell. Buy one of these”
Pretty sure they want to bundle slow movers and references that are easier to produce at the moment. Triple splits and other pieces mentioned by the OP they might even want to use as bundle pieces themselves or at least halo pieces to get new customers in.
edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 11:57 AM   #50
Watchristic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I did. And they offered again. Not sure what credibility has to do with what’s being offered and how. But thanks for the detective work. Let me know if you need a horological CV attached to the thread. LOL.

Then you don’t need to ask again

Old 27 April 2022, 12:28 PM   #51
Gotwire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
I was honestly never shown a list or had any list mentioned

I’m unsure of what your other lange pieces are but if you have other quality pieces and they still demand a bundle tell them I wasn’t required so why are you !?
The 1815 Rattrapante Perpetual Calendar you recently got was on the list for Lumen bundle.
Old 27 April 2022, 12:32 PM   #52
raclaims
"TRF" Member

U should get it it’s awesome !
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2022, 06:39 PM   #53
flyboyx999
"TRF" Member

Honestly there are so many flippers that will/are spending the same amount as you or more, to get the lumens and ss Odysseus.

If they don’t want to sell you the watch, just move on

Wait on what you like and buy it when offer. For all those who has been in this watch game/hobby for a long time, knows trends go up and down. Have patients. I am that guy who turn down all nautilus that was offer to me
flyboyx999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2022, 07:36 PM   #54
Crashblue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s an absolutely absurd way for a brand owned boutique to do business. As noted above you’re basically calling many of your high end watches garbage and asking for a loan which tells me they need the working capital.

Much smaller production but Journe wouldn’t ask for your money upfront let alone a year and certainly doesn’t try to place watches with collectors which they don’t want. Every piece is wanted by someone. If you have watches nobody wants…wait for it…stop making them in such quantities or altogether.
Not sure how the capital flow looks like but at least in Germany the Lange Boutiques are not operated by Lange or Swatch they are just mono brand stores run by Wempe.
Crashblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2022, 10:12 PM   #55
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashblue View Post
Not sure how the capital flow looks like but at least in Germany the Lange Boutiques are not operated by Lange or Swatch they are just mono brand stores run by Wempe.

That would make more sense but man I’d want more control. End users in this market are fickle as they come, particularly when the market isn’t roaring hot.
Old 2 May 2022, 10:26 PM   #56
Crashblue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That would make more sense but man I’d want more control. End users in this market are fickle as they come, particularly when the market isn’t roaring hot.
I wouldn't prepay for anything especially not for a watch.
Crashblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2022, 11:00 PM   #57
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashblue View Post
This is an interesting point. I have always thought that all VC and Lange boutiques are Richmont owned but recently was told one in Asia is actually not. And that makes me wonder now as I also observe different practices for watch allocation (I.e. bundling) at the boutique which can only be explained by the store is not owned by corporate.
Old 2 May 2022, 11:08 PM   #58
rag5178
"TRF" Member

The boutique in Chicago is owned by Burdeens.
Old 3 May 2022, 12:59 AM   #59
solaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
This is an interesting point. I have always thought that all VC and Lange boutiques are Richmont owned but recently was told one in Asia is actually not. And that makes me wonder now as I also observe different practices for watch allocation (I.e. bundling) at the boutique which can only be explained by the store is not owned by corporate.

Lange London is run by Wempe

solaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 01:07 AM   #60
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaire View Post
Lange London is run by Wempe

Any idea about the US stores? I always wonder why there are two of VC boutiques in SoCal so close by when there is none in NorCal. Maybe they are mono brand stores owned by two different chains?