The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 February 2018, 09:09 AM   #1
tdic5163
"TRF" Member

Help purchasing DRSD: w/pics

Hi all

I've been lurking here for a few years, just keeping quiet and enjoying the community.

I wanted to post a few pics of a DRSD (my grail) I'm considering buying to see if the community could take a quick scan and let me know if anything jumps out as a red flag? Apologies if the picture come out hard to read, I've never uploaded an image online before...

I've seen pricing and commentary on DRSD's on these forums for a few years now, but it seems to me that in the vintage space, everything is almost an item unto itself.

The watch was last serviced in the early 00's (and I have seen/would own the service certificate) but otherwise does not come with box, papers, or other documentation. Just service doc and a small Rolex pouch.

It looks to me like a Mk4 dial, higher end of the serial number range but looks inline with everything I see online. Think the bezel insert might be replacement (font looks a bit thin), and I don't see any stretch in the bracelet which makes me think it also might be replacement. It does have '585' marks on the ends of the bracelet though. The included service document shows total in the early 2000s of under $600 in total, so I'm not sure much else may have been done at that time beyond a possible insert/bracelet change.

I unscrewed the crown and it looked like there was a fresh/intact black waterproof seal on there. Minimal scratches on the case but it didn't look too 'polished' either.

The only other thought I had, I have a friend with both a red sub and a DRSD, and I believe his DRSD dial is Mk4 as well. I noticed on the DRSD I am looking at, it appears the date aperture/wheel is metal / not painted white. My friend's date aperture/dial I thought the date wheel was painted white? Am I just remembering wrong? My friend is away without his watch or I would have already gone to see it in person. I've seen various pictures online, but just wanted to confirm this date wheel/aperture is basically metal with black date paint on it.

If I go ahead with the purchase I would have a few days to have it formally authenticated, etc.

I just wanted to share some pics and see if you all thought it looked authentic, didn't have any red flags, etc?

I'm happy to pass along other details if I go through with the purchase, but any feedback the community could share for now would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Regards,
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1004.JPG (189.0 KB, 551 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1005.JPG (125.0 KB, 550 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1006.JPG (240.2 KB, 553 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1001.jpg (135.2 KB, 549 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1003.jpg (169.4 KB, 555 views)
tdic5163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 02:25 PM   #2
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
I’m no expert on these, but I do know that it is a newer bracelet (93150?). Pretty sure a DRSD bracelet should be a 9315 folded link with 285 ends. There’s a lot of discussion on the silver or white date wheel bro g correct. Someone more knowledgeable than me will hopefully comment soon. Nice watch!
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 04:45 PM   #3
lee fowler
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
I’m no expert on these, but I do know that it is a newer bracelet (93150?). Pretty sure a DRSD bracelet should be a 9315 folded link with 285 ends. There’s a lot of discussion on the silver or white date wheel bro g correct. Someone more knowledgeable than me will hopefully comment soon. Nice watch!
It would depend on the age/year, my 1976 sold DRSD is on a 93150.

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 05:08 PM   #4
suligeo
2024 Pledge Member

What happened to the crown guard? It’s nearly gone.
suligeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 05:32 PM   #5
R.O.L.E.X
"TRF" Member

Sprint ->
R.O.L.E.X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 06:44 AM   #6
colpol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suligeo View Post
What happened to the crown guard? It’s nearly gone.
First thing that stuck out for me too
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 07:27 AM   #7
tdic5163
"TRF" Member

Hi all

Thanks very much for the replies. I totally missed the very meagre-looking crown guard. I think I didn't do it any favors with the angle of the pictures I took, but will immediately request some updated pics if I can't make it in to see it again today. Looks a bit suspicious now that I review all the pics.

R.O.L.E.X - I'm not sure if you're saying avoid entirely? Could you advise?

Thanks for all your help! Will revert asap.

Tony
Old 13 February 2018, 07:39 AM   #8
R.O.L.E.X
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdic5163 View Post
Hi all

Thanks very much for the replies. I totally missed the very meagre-looking crown guard. I think I didn't do it any favors with the angle of the pictures I took, but will immediately request some updated pics if I can't make it in to see it again today. Looks a bit suspicious now that I review all the pics.

R.O.L.E.X - I'm not sure if you're saying avoid entirely? Could you advise?

Thanks for all your help! Will revert asap.

Tony
Yes, the crown guards are ruined
R.O.L.E.X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 11:45 AM   #9
tdic5163
"TRF" Member

Thank you all very much for bringing the crown guards to my attention. I have asked for pics from the other side, but fear you may be right. I will try to go view it again ASAP to confirm...

Shocked I didn't notice it sooner - but now that you've pointed it out, it's hard to un-see.

Many thanks all

Tony
Old 13 February 2018, 12:47 PM   #10
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

Not good. Pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mattedialdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 04:09 PM   #11
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Hi Tony ,

You live in NYC so mail Andrew Shear at sheartime or Stephan at worldlywatches both based in NYC

They always have top quality DRSDs that are priced at the top end but all the questions will have been answered and you know if there are any issues you can return it.

A good reference place for Red dive watches is www.drsd.com its run by Ed delgado and he is very helpful and also busy , so he may take a little while to get back to you .

Get the pics of the crown guards before giving up on this example
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 01:38 AM   #12
Frogman4me
Banned

Looks to be a decent MKIV DRSD with a service insert that can easily be replaced with a correct MKIII. When evaluating a watch the price matters a lot. If this is priced low then I would use a different standard of measurement for it. If they are asking top collector dollar then of course digging into all the details makes sense. Telling someone to run based on these photos is just foolish. What if this watch was priced really well or cheap even, I would buy it in a heartbeat without asking a single question. The silver date wheel is correct and should have open 6's.

I am not sure why everyone is ripping the crown guards when there is no photo accurately showing them. The cut of the crown guards on sea-dwellers are different than submariners and not to mention it has a completely different and thicker bezel assembly so from the top view the crown guards always look tiny. I am not saying these guards are or are not great but there is no photo worthy enough to make that judgement. You need more photos directly showing the CG.
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 01:55 AM   #13
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman4me View Post
Looks to be a decent MKIV DRSD with a service insert that can easily be replaced with a correct MKIII. When evaluating a watch the price matters a lot. If this is priced low then I would use a different standard of measurement for it. If they are asking top collector dollar then of course digging into all the details makes sense. Telling someone to run based on these photos is just foolish. What if this watch was priced really well or cheap even, I would buy it in a heartbeat without asking a single question. The silver date wheel is correct and should have open 6's.

I am not sure why everyone is ripping the crown guards when there is no photo accurately showing them. The cut of the crown guards on sea-dwellers are different than submariners and not to mention it has a completely different and thicker bezel assembly so from the top view the crown guards always look tiny. I am not saying these guards are or are not great but there is no photo worthy enough to make that judgement. You need more photos directly showing the CG.
Some good points here, but that second photo does indeed show enough of the crown guards to know that they have been polished down quite a bit. I agree better photos would be needed for a full evaluation.

As for price, if this watch, or any high-end vintage Rolex, has significant issues, I always pass no matter how cheap it is, unless you're looking for a parts watch or project. If I'm shelling out tens of thousands of dollars, or even just several thousand, a sub-standard piece would always bug me on my wrist, and would also be tough to re-sell.
swish77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 11:43 AM   #14
tdic5163
"TRF" Member

Thanks all. Still awaiting pictures and will revert ASAP so we can settle the crown guard situation once and for all.
Old 14 February 2018, 11:59 AM   #15
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Place some good photos here and....keep the fingers out of the photos. We need watch photos not finger pics. Why anyone selling an expensive watch can't take decent photos is beyond me - especially when they have their mitts all over the watch.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 09:06 AM   #16
tdic5163
"TRF" Member

Hi all

After a few day delay, finally have pics of the lugs so we can solve this once and for all. They look a bit thin...

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1037.jpg (244.6 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1036.jpg (147.6 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1035.jpg (152.2 KB, 200 views)
Old 17 February 2018, 04:19 PM   #17
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

I don’t think they are awful, I have some old adverts from the 70s showing DRSDs and the CGs they were never big like modern versions.

Give me some time I’ll dig the pics out
Old 17 February 2018, 05:42 PM   #18
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

this

IMG_2331.jpeg

original Rolex advert
Old 17 February 2018, 06:03 PM   #19
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

For some reason it won’t allow me to post the picture,

Can you private message me your mail address, I’ll then send them direct
Old 17 February 2018, 07:40 PM   #20
lee fowler
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
Pic here from Paul.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DRSD.jpg (85.5 KB, 161 views)

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 12:30 AM   #21
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdic5163 View Post
Hi all

After a few day delay, finally have pics of the lugs so we can solve this once and for all. They look a bit thin...

Thanks!
Yes, those crown guards have been overly polished, IMHO. It depends how much it bugs you.
swish77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 03:05 AM   #22
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee fowler View Post
Pic here from Paul.
Thank you Lee

Ok they are polished but it is 40 yrs old , I doubt the seller is suggesting it’s NOS condition .