The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 26 September 2008, 08:06 PM   #1
ronin7

Watch: green submariner
tag heuer/a luxury brand?

wonder what you guys and gals make of tag heuer as a brand.i was reading an entry on eta movements on wikipedia and therein they refer to them as a medium/mid range brand.iam sure a lot of ad's would beg to differ.i own a twin time carrera and a carrera chronograph with brown face and strap which gets a lot of admiring glances and comments(even my local rolex ad was impressed).how ever they get less and less wrist time as time goes on/maybe because my gmt and green sub now have a special place in my heart. iam finding amongst other watch collectors a certain disdain for the brand,even on this forum i note healthy respect for omegas and breitling(which is fine by me as i own both)is it my imagination is there no love for the brand
ronin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 09:09 PM   #2
GinGinD

You may find this helpful. I agree with their take on most of the brands, including Tag. Remember, Tag doesn't use solid gold on their TT models, and they aren't especially innovative.

http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/brands.shtml

That said, I think they're nice watches and am considering one for myself.

Jeannie
GinGinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 10:35 PM   #3
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Yes, of course!

Tag makes some great looking and functioning watches! I definately consider them a luxury brand. And they have some new models with some very unique inovative features.

I classify a watch as being luxury if it is over $1000.

Now in terms of Luxury Watches, they are lower range. I would group them with Breitling, Omega, Longines, Oris, Doxa, Panerai (non-inhouse movements)

High range would be your Pateks, Vacherons, AP, Lange, Glashutte, Richard Mille, De Bethune

Mid Range would be Rolex, IWC, JLC, Panerai (in House), etc.

Of course most of the high range are that way more due to cost and decoration of movement and precious metals used.

But Tag is definately a luxury brand and considered that way by most. Htere are many people that work their wholes lives to save up to buy a good quality Tag. And Tags like the Carrera and Monoco have a great history.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 11:29 PM   #4
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Never cared much for them but they are a decent brand and have recently introduced some nice models. No plans to buy one for me, but when looking for a moderately priced watch for a GF I opted for this. Met all the conditions on what she was looking for and what I thought reasonable to pay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WAF1419.BA0813.jpg (31.8 KB, 307 views)
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 11:30 PM   #5
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
IMO the carrera is the higher end of the Tag line. many sports models are quartz and are circa $1000 and alot less pre owned. definitly a mid range brand to me. Breitling and omega are a class above tag

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 11:41 PM   #6
ronin7

Watch: green submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
IMO the carrera is the higher end of the Tag line. many sports models are quartz and are circa $1000 and alot less pre owned. definitly a mid range brand to me. Breitling and omega are a class above tag
got to admit mate the more i ponder this issue the more iam inclined to agree,however do still love my tags but dont really forsee a time when i get another,wouldnt mind a breitling blackbird on a brown leather strap-now thats a mean looking watch
ronin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2008, 05:15 AM   #7
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
i agree, and i think their prices are way over-inflated for what you are getting. the cases and bracelets are decent enough, but they throw the cheapest eta quartz and mechs in 'em they can. my 2 cents.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2008, 06:00 AM   #8
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
Tag makes a good product but I think they're starting to become a bit too mainstream. Definitely overpriced and they don't hold their value well if you plan on reselling. I have a quartz Link Chronograph (pic below) which I love. The Link series has the most comfortable bracelet I've ever worn. I've been contemplating sending it out to get double AR coated.

Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2008, 08:28 AM   #9
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Sure like my Tag Heuer "Steve McQueen" Monaco. The new Carera Series is very nice too.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2008, 09:16 AM   #10
away36
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Rolex
I LOVE my Tag!!! Al bought it for me a couple of years ago. We actually had a discussion about it earlier this evening, about where it would fit in my "lineup" of watches so far as favourites go. I wear the Tag a lot. Most nights when we head down to the yacht club, that's what I'm wearing. I love the "sporty" look it has. It's right up there in my top 3 favs! (admittedly tied for third place with my Dunhill!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nancy's Tag.JPG (23.9 KB, 284 views)
away36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2008, 09:50 AM   #11
gmtobsessed
"TRF" Member

For me, Tag is a luxury brand due to the price of most of its model
range. But perhaps in lower range of luxury brands. I like carrera the
most (dual time & chronograph)
gmtobsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2008, 11:39 AM   #12
wtcope

Watch: Rolex, Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinGinD View Post
You may find this helpful. I agree with their take on most of the brands, including Tag. Remember, Tag doesn't use solid gold on their TT models, and they aren't especially innovative.

http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/brands.shtml

That said, I think they're nice watches and am considering one for myself.

Jeannie

Interesting reading, Jeannie. Thanks for the reference.
wtcope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2008, 11:43 AM   #13
Mrdi
Banned

I get the feeling here in So Cal that Tag became a wanna be Rolex and was adorned en masse by the Yuppy crowd.
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2008, 01:01 PM   #14
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
I can tell you this also. In the Middle East (Kuwait, Dubai, and Qatar) Tag's F1 Forumula watch is known as the "Filipino" watch and the top seller for Tag.

The ADs I spoke to that carry many other brands, told me Tag is their Bread and Butter Brand. Maybe sell one IWC, JLC, Glashutte, Etc.. once a week, but sell dozen Tags a week or more.

Known as the Filipino watch, as Tags are very very popular amongst the multitude of Filipino men that work in the Middle East. To them it is the Luxury Brand that they can afford and save up for. Many work hard for a year or two in the Middle East, and the Tag F1 is the watch they buy.

Matter of fact, when I was checking out a Glashutte at a AD, there were 4 Filipinos drooling over a Tag F1. One then did buy one, and another put money down on one as a layaway plan.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2008, 06:13 PM   #15
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (116710)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Known as the Filipino watch, as Tags are very very popular amongst the multitude of Filipino men that work in the Middle East. To them it is the Luxury Brand that they can afford and save up for. Many work hard for a year or two in the Middle East, and the Tag F1 is the watch they buy.
Thanks for this unique insight Chad, very informative.
#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
C. Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2008, 05:22 PM   #16
lorsban
"TRF" Member

I think Tag Heuer is a luxury brand especially if you compare it to most Japanese models. But compared to those really high end ones, it's somewhere at the middle or bottom. I'd probably place Tag in the same bracket as Oris, Longines.
lorsban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2008, 12:41 AM   #17
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
TAG Heuer is definitely an "entry-level" luxury watch brand. Heuer has a rich history on its own.

Nancy, nice watch!

My father and sister are the only members in my family who don't own Rolex. Their daily watches are TAG Heuer.

As an aside, I was at Costco on Saturday and they had some nice watches from TAG Heuer, Invicta, Omega (neat Speedmaster), Breitling, and a really fun Oris Chronograph.
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2008, 11:27 PM   #18
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
I love my Tag, it`s comfortable and very good looking watch, with maybe cheap, but reliable and very accurate quartz movement.
I don`t think of Tag as of luxury brand, but I`m aware of it`s quality.
IMHO, Tag is positioned below such brands as Breitling and Omega but upper than Hamilton...

Here`s the pic of my Tag Sub!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mnjau 1227.JPG (58.7 KB, 195 views)
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2008, 12:21 AM   #19
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Nothing wrong with buying what you like even if you have to commit the mortal sin of not spending enough money.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2008, 12:26 AM   #20
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
My Tag Heuer Kirium Chronometer is eight years old and still looks great. It has some band stretch but, runs well and, is a sharp looking watch.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote