The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 January 2021, 12:03 PM   #661
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by narembeen View Post
No, not yet, but at least I have the bracelet. Hopefully it is not too much longer. If the delays and issues were partly due to covid, well it is all but contained down here, so hopefully he can hire some more staff to get through the backlog.
I wouldn't be too hopeful that he can simply hire a bunch of highly skilled experienced watchmakers temporarily to get through his backlog. He's not manufacturing t-shirts.
Old 22 January 2021, 12:11 PM   #662
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Yes I know.
..Kudos to you for your patience...
Not only re your watch repair/reconstruction, but also for responding to numerous inquires from the followers of this, your thread..

' A Crown for every achievement '
Old 22 January 2021, 12:16 PM   #663
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Changing tacts, given where we are with this. Is it worth just getting it back and finding someone else to do the overhaul?

Frankly, the refinished dial + bracelet has nothign to do with him so isn't he just managing the overhaul of the movement and reassembly of the watch?
Old 22 January 2021, 12:53 PM   #664
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
Changing tacts, given where we are with this. Is it worth just getting it back and finding someone else to do the overhaul?

Frankly, the refinished dial + bracelet has nothign to do with him so isn't he just managing the overhaul of the movement and reassembly of the watch?
Im mulling this one over matey, for sure...my problem is I have paid for the service.
Old 22 January 2021, 12:58 PM   #665
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Im mulling this one over matey, for sure...my problem is I have paid for the service.
yeah right - thats even more annoying that he is taking prepayment and delivered nothing....

i'm sorry to hear.
Old 22 January 2021, 01:10 PM   #666
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
yeah right - thats even more annoying that he is taking prepayment and delivered nothing....

i'm sorry to hear.
Old 22 January 2021, 01:51 PM   #667
Filipão
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Keep the faith guys, Narembeen sure is!
Old 22 January 2021, 02:09 PM   #668
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
there’s a lot of silent followers on this thread hoping and wishing for a good outcome, very soon, and admiring your endless patience. Keep the faith
Old 22 January 2021, 04:29 PM   #669
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
there’s a lot of silent followers on this thread hoping and wishing for a good outcome, very soon, and admiring your endless patience. Keep the faith
Old 23 January 2021, 05:27 AM   #670
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
Quote:
You could always get the watch back and ask for a refund?
Old 23 January 2021, 07:35 AM   #671
sfgrrrl
"TRF" Member

Has he returned ANY calls or messages? What was the last time that you actually heard anything from him?

Too bad he's so far, can you jump in your stepdad's plane and fly down there to see in person what is going on?
Old 23 January 2021, 07:54 AM   #672
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:

i'm sorry to hear.
What I find unbelievable is he wanted a prepayment when he was in possession of your watch which should be worth more than what he would charge you for the work. Once he did the work, unless you wired him the money you wouldn’t get the watch back!

Really sympathise for you narambeen, I feel you have been really poorly treated. Watchmaker should have contacted you when he was struggling due to his circumstances and given you the options of bearing with him or him sending you back the watch and refunding.
Old 23 January 2021, 08:36 AM   #673
MrChamfers
Banned

Watch: ing Warriors ball
Quote:
Is the watchmaker going to be adding metal to the case?
I didn't see that discussed anywhere in the thread, but it seemed like there was some overpolished spots that could be beefed up.
Old 23 January 2021, 08:57 AM   #674
sfgrrrl
"TRF" Member

I hate to say this, since I was truly optimistic for a very long time, given the watchmaker's reputation and hard circumstances given his injury, Covid, etc. It is notable that you were more then generous and trusting, and made a down payment on his work. You trusted his reputation, and were being mindful of his situation. I understand that, and I would have probably done exactly the same thing.

At this point, however, I would say that enough is enough.

I looked at his website and it now states that he is closed until Friday 1/27 due to getting treatment for his wrist. He plans to be open for only 3 days a week then, for 4 hours a day. So, he is working 12 hours out of a 40 hour week. No wonder he has a backlog. Surprisingly (given the lengthy time it has been since he began on your watch), he is STILL accepting new work, with the caveat that one cannot expect completion until March.

IF the facts at present are that you have heard NOTHING from him in the past 4 weeks, and have had NO updates on progress despite numerous messages...then I just might consider sending him a certified letter (or the equivalent in Australia - something that requires him to sign for receipt) asking politely - but firmly - as to the current status of the project, and reminding him of the time he has already had the watch, and that you have made a down payment on his work. You might want to hint at escalating this to an attorney if he is not forthcoming with an update - you'll have to feel that one out.

It sounds like the time to nudge his feet closer to the fire, and see what happens.
Old 23 January 2021, 09:08 AM   #675
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChamfers View Post
Is the watchmaker going to be adding metal to the case?
I didn't see that discussed anywhere in the thread, but it seemed like there was some overpolished spots that could be beefed up.
The case still has its original chamfers so not sure what area you are talking about Mr Chamfers.
Old 23 January 2021, 09:12 AM   #676
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgrrrl View Post
I hate to say this, since I was truly optimistic for a very long time, given the watchmaker's reputation and hard circumstances given his injury, Covid, etc. It is notable that you were more then generous and trusting, and made a down payment on his work. You trusted his reputation, and were being mindful of his situation. I understand that, and I would have probably done exactly the same thing.

At this point, however, I would say that enough is enough.

I looked at his website and it now states that he is closed until Friday 1/27 due to getting treatment for his wrist. He plans to be open for only 3 days a week then, for 4 hours a day. So, he is working 12 hours out of a 40 hour week. No wonder he has a backlog. Surprisingly (given the lengthy time it has been since he began on your watch), he is STILL accepting new work, with the caveat that one cannot expect completion until March.

IF the facts at present are that you have heard NOTHING from him in the past 4 weeks, and have had NO updates on progress despite numerous messages...then I just might consider sending him a certified letter (or the equivalent in Australia - something that requires him to sign for receipt) asking politely - but firmly - as to the current status of the project, and reminding him of the time he has already had the watch, and that you have made a down payment on his work. You might want to hint at escalating this to an attorney if he is not forthcoming with an update - you'll have to feel that one out.

It sounds like the time to nudge his feet closer to the fire, and see what happens.
Thanks for the advice. I am going to give him until March and see what happens. The 27th he refers to is November last year, not the 27th of Jan 21. However those hours of operation are correct.
Old 23 January 2021, 09:13 AM   #677
BigBlue1

Watch: it pal !
I just had case work done that was pretty extensive. I just paid for it now that it is done. It is now on its way to my watchmaker to be put back together and shipped out. I didn’t pay for the work till it was completed.

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
Old 23 January 2021, 09:15 AM   #678
BigBlue1

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I am going to give him until March and see what happens. The 27th he refers to is November last year, not the 27th of Jan 21. However those hours of operation are correct.
Give him till March, your crazy. Cut your loses, get your watch back and source someone else. It’s absurd.

RIP Mikey
Old 23 January 2021, 09:18 AM   #679
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue1 View Post
Give him till March, your crazy. Cut your loses, get your watch back and source someone else. It’s absurd.
If I get it back early I will ship it somewhere internationally to have the service completed. I will be asking you all for recomendations if it comes to this. Kind of had enough of local watch makers. You guys all seem to send off pieces and have them returned again pretty quickly.
Old 23 January 2021, 09:40 AM   #680
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Dude. Please. Get the watch back. You’ve been beyond patient and accommodating. If he has an issue with you asking for it, and your payment, being returned, well, he then would be showing you his true colors. You don’t owe him anything.
Old 23 January 2021, 09:42 AM   #681
BigBlue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Dude. Please. Get the watch back. You’ve been beyond patient and accommodating. If he has an issue with you asking for it, and your payment, being returned, well, he then would be showing you his true colors. You don’t owe him anything.
Agreed. I just can’t get over the lack of communication. It’s soooooo crazy. It’s not even my watch and I’m upset for you. Totally unacceptable.

RIP Mikey
Old 23 January 2021, 10:05 AM   #682
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Some good advice in the last few posts. enough is enough. Send it off to some of the reputable watchmakers here (or advised by members). Atleast you'll get realistic estimates on the time needed for service etc. March is too far away.
Old 23 January 2021, 10:11 AM   #683
MrChamfers
Banned

Quote:
The case still has its original chamfers so not sure what area you are talking about Mr Chamfers.
yes, the chamfers are nice
I was thinking the lug holes are a little close the the end of the lugs.

How do aussies pronounce chamfers btw?
Old 23 January 2021, 10:19 AM   #684
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChamfers View Post
yes, the chamfers are nice
I was thinking the lug holes are a little close the the end of the lugs.

How do aussies pronounce chamfers btw?
oh yeah that would have been an impact zone for sure.

How do aussies pronounce chamfers btw? = 'shamfazz'
Old 23 January 2021, 10:27 AM   #685
VintageRX
"TRF" Member

Step fathers 5513

IFFF you get the watch back and decide to go international you know that Michael young does good work in HNK. However, Rolliworks in California are some of the best watchmakers and case restorers in North America by far.

I wish you the best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 January 2021, 10:30 AM   #686
MrChamfers
Banned

Quote:
How do aussies pronounce chamfers btw? = 'shamfazz'

beauty!
Old 23 January 2021, 10:43 AM   #687
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageRX View Post
IFFF you get the watch back and decide to go international you know that Michael young does good work in HNK. However, Rolliworks in California are some of the best watchmakers and case restorers in North America by far.

I wish you the best of luck!

I did message Rolliworks. Due to covid ramping up at the time I decided to keep the watch within my borders as I wasnt sure how this was all going to pan out. Perhaps I should have taken a chance and shipped it over there.
Old 23 January 2021, 10:51 AM   #688
VintageRX
"TRF" Member

Step fathers 5513

Quote:
I did message Rolliworks. Due to covid ramping up at the time I decided to keep the watch within my borders as I wasnt sure how this was all going to pan out. Perhaps I should have taken a chance and shipped it over there.

In hindsight, perhaps that would’ve been the best option for the case and movement. However, that’s why hindsight is 20/20 haha. Let’s hope something positive comes from this! I myself am experiencing the sense of concern over a watches current state. One of my watches is stuck in the mail and now the government has forced every single mail worker to get covid tested. Many people in the watch groups talk about watches being delayed over a month .

Cheers

Old 23 January 2021, 11:02 AM   #689
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageRX View Post
In hindsight, perhaps that would’ve been the best option for the case and movement. However, that’s why hindsight is 20/20 haha. Let’s hope something positive comes from this! I myself am experiencing the sense of concern over a watches current state. One of my watches is stuck in the mail and now the government has forced every single mail worker to get covid tested. Many people in the watch groups talk about watches being delayed over a month .

Cheers

Well I wish you and your watch all the best. I am sure you will be reuninted shortly. I mean at least you know why there is a delay.
Old 23 January 2021, 11:04 AM   #690
VintageRX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well I wish you and your watch all the best. I am sure you will be reuninted shortly. I mean at least you know why there is a delay.

Somewhat true, but just like you, I don’t have any updates on the current status haha. 0 communication haha

Closed Thread