The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 February 2019, 04:31 AM   #31
kulak
"TRF" Member

I prefer Unifi G3. It is power over Ethernet which isn’t what you want but WiFi is easily jammed. I have an UPS to keep it powered in case of outage or powercut.
kulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 04:38 AM   #32
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
im debating on interior cameras as well. Probably hard wired but im nervous about them getting hacked or something. It creeps me out with the thought of someone seeing me inside my house. If i can completely unplug them when i don't want them on i might do it vs just turning them off.
I use cameras indoors but only focused at the entry points. Once someone crosses the threshold, I know all I need to know.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 08:39 AM   #33
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keadog View Post
Interesting thread. I have a barn about 100 yards downhill from the house with giant evergreens between completely blocking the view from one building to the other. House has high speed (100 MBPS, "high" for around here) internet with a mesh router. Barn has power BUT all steel siding and no internet hookup (long story, but company's rules would have made it stupid expensive to have).
My wifi signals doesn't reach barn from home router. Security company says I can add up to two cams at barn with some "secret tech" they have that will work wirelessly but I'm not willing to pay the "secret" price.
Not worried much about theft, as it's mainly farm equipment (which is all used and insured), but would like a remote way to know the temp inside barn in case furnace fails.
Anything new the brains here know about I haven't thought of?

I understand. Had a similar issue at my farm, since sold.

Anyway, there are plenty of temperature apps for android phones. iPhones would have comparables.

Maybe this will give you an idea or two. Like a buy a phone on a family line, leave it in the barn, and then figure out how to access the data from your phone. Yeah, a far reach on the "thinking", but if you have cell phone signal in the barn (no wifi), then maybe some wizardry will do the trick. Sorry, beyond my wild imagination, I am not technologically as savvy as I wish I could be.

https://en.softonic.com/solutions/wh...ps-for-android

Maybe some super tech guy can give you some assistance.

DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 12:43 PM   #34
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

* Outdoor Security Camera, Battery, Wifi/SD, InfraRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keadog View Post
Interesting thread. I have a barn about 100 yards downhill from the house with giant evergreens between completely blocking the view from one building to the other. House has high speed (100 MBPS, "high" for around here) internet with a mesh router. Barn has power BUT all steel siding and no internet hookup (long story, but company's rules would have made it stupid expensive to have).
My wifi signals doesn't reach barn from home router. Security company says I can add up to two cams at barn with some "secret tech" they have that will work wirelessly but I'm not willing to pay the "secret" price.
Not worried much about theft, as it's mainly farm equipment (which is all used and insured), but would like a remote way to know the temp inside barn in case furnace fails.
Anything new the brains here know about I haven't thought of?

There are a couple of easy options.

First, for security cameras, Arlo Go is cellular. From their website:
The Arlo Go Mobile Security Camera is ideal for security monitoring with no Wi-Fi access. Arlo Go works anywhere in AT&T's nationwide coverage and supports 3G and 4G-LTE wireless connections. This allows you to keep an eye on trails, RVs, or your cabin from anywhere, even far away from the nearest power outlet or Wi-Fi connection.

For remote monitoring application, or for wired Ethernet camera data comm, you could consider Netgear Powerline 2000. Now this will only work if your barn is powered via your main panel at the house. If the barn has its own power drop, then power line communication via that Netgear product won’t work.

Your last option isn’t on the easy list - RF in the unlicensed spectrum like 900 MHz. Your distance could work as long as you use hi-gain antennas. For example, https://www.protectiondepot.com/900M...ansmitter.html

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 01:09 PM   #35
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I just bought my third Ring unit. Pretty happy with them. The biggest issue I believe in using the door bell to talk to the outside is tied to network time, I believe. Two are battery powered and one is hardwired. I've still got to install the third unit. Hopefully this weekend. For that matter the installation has been pretty easy on the first two units (one wired and one not).

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 01:51 PM   #36
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Hi Paul: Good response. Do any of the devices you indicated enable room temperature data retrieval from your phone or send an alarm to your phone when the furnace/heat unexpectedly shuts off, that Keadog was wondering about?

BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 02:55 PM   #37
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
I just bought and installed an Arlo 3-camera system TODAY!

My Brother has one and he recommended it. So far I like it! I'll check back in a month or so and give an update on any Pros/Cons I run into.

Good Luck!

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo/default.aspx
Really like the Arlo cameras and would recommend this system/cameras.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 05:20 PM   #38
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Use the Nest IQ, pretty good with very clear two way audio