The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 September 2018, 08:17 AM   #61
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I don’t get too involved in the “new” hype. I use an iPad, iPod and iPhone SE and upgrade whenever they stop upgrading properly which I guess is every 5 years or so.

I don’t do anti-social media and have no need for those type of apps. And have no desire to find workarounds for non Apple products to work together.

Sometimes it’s nice to hop off the rollercoaster and watch everyone else scream.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 09:09 AM   #62
Maybelline
Banned

Lol. Just lol at thinking iPhones are superior.
Maybelline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 10:58 AM   #63
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritium8 View Post
I'm curious if this is just an American thing. I run into this often as well but when chatting with family or international friends we always use Google chat or Whatsapp. Do the members in other countries find they chat more using 3rd party apps or text? I guess I could start a poll.
I definitely use Whatsapp a lot more than I use regular text. I know in some circles at work they use WeChat and that in itself is another crazy ecosystem...
Old 18 September 2018, 11:03 AM   #64
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
To be honest you know I wish I had bought and kept an iPhone 3GS when it came out. I would love a NOS piece right now to use with a sim card adapter. Super hipster of yesteryear.

Hold on to your iPhone 6S guys... you never know when the vintage bug will hit. "Vintage" extends past 1680s and 5513s
Old 18 September 2018, 11:10 AM   #65
boom!
Banned

Watch: Rolex
I prefer whatsapp myself, feel it's a lot more user friendly.
boom! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 04:59 AM   #66
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
To be honest you know I wish I had bought and kept an iPhone 3GS when it came out. I would love a NOS piece right now to use with a sim card adapter. Super hipster of yesteryear.

Hold on to your iPhone 6S guys... you never know when the vintage bug will hit. "Vintage" extends past 1680s and 5513s

I still have my wife’s original iPhone. Don’t know if it can even be activated now.
Old 20 September 2018, 02:23 AM   #67
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I tried to save some money and bought a Windows 10 laptop instead of a 3k macbook pro. Big mistake.

There was a cost, screen has backlight issues, form factor is worse, battery life was rated to 16 hours but it goes about 3 hours. Finally and most pertinent to this thread is that Windows 10 forces you to download updates send some information back ( which can vary from extensive to “basic”). Some of this information is be used for advertising.

Apple products cost more but at this point they are the only major texh company which has publicly spoken about the consumers right to privacy. So you may save $1k in buying an android but the data retrieved by android is far more extensive and accessible to other parties.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 02:30 AM   #68
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
There was an interesting article recently that argued that it makes for more sense to spend £1000 on an iPhone rather than £1000+ on a MacBook/laptop.

Reason being that an iPhone has become our primary device used constantly whereas a laptop is used less and less because the phone can now do so much.

It’s true. I have a 5k iMac and it gets turned on once per week at best. I’m typing this using my iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 02:52 AM   #69
Star Ferry
Banned

Yeah my phone is my most important item I own. So I get whatever is the flagship large screen Samsung
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 03:24 AM   #70
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
There was an interesting article recently that argued that it makes for more sense to spend £1000 on an iPhone rather than £1000+ on a MacBook/laptop.

Reason being that an iPhone has become our primary device used constantly whereas a laptop is used less and less because the phone can now do so much.

It’s true. I have a 5k iMac and it gets turned on once per week at best. I’m typing this using my iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone
not for me. I can't stand typing, texting, or whatever on my iPhone when i don't have to. When im home i will use iMessage on my computer before i grab my phone to text.

Iphone functionality is great for when my laptop isnt within reach, but its not a replacement to me.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 04:08 AM   #71
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Apple iPhone alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Iphone functionality is great for when my laptop isnt within reach, but its not a replacement to me.

Me neither.

I don’t think I could ever be computer free.

I don’t understand where people store all those irreplaceable pictures and videos when they are only using an iPhone/iPad.

Or those really important docs/emails etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 20 September 2018, 08:36 AM   #72
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Me neither.

I don’t think I could ever be computer free.

I don’t understand where people store all those irreplaceable pictures and videos when they are only using an iPhone/iPad.

Or those really important docs/emails etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone
iCloud / office365. It’s not a replacement for every task but many tasks.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 08:51 AM   #73
doubleroll
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
I tried to save some money and bought a Windows 10 laptop instead of a 3k macbook pro. Big mistake.

There was a cost, screen has backlight issues, form factor is worse, battery life was rated to 16 hours but it goes about 3 hours. Finally and most pertinent to this thread is that Windows 10 forces you to download updates send some information back ( which can vary from extensive to “basic”). Some of this information is be used for advertising.

Apple products cost more but at this point they are the only major texh company which has publicly spoken about the consumers right to privacy. So you may save $1k in buying an android but the data retrieved by android is far more extensive and accessible to other parties.

Ah yes, the laptop of choice at 1600 Amphitheater Parkway is...you guessed it, the MacBook Pro!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 20 September 2018, 11:07 AM   #74
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
I upgraded to the 8 last year. I’m not a power user, and really just use my phone for simple texting, browsing, calling, email, and as a camera. I’m glad they released the XS. I’ll probably upgrade to that phone - or it’s equivalent - when mine becomes too slow or unreliable. I’m blown away that these cost more than most iPads now.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 11:21 AM   #75
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

The Samsung prices are right in line with the iPhones, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 04:17 PM   #76
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
The Samsung prices are right in line with the iPhones, no?
No.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 11:49 PM   #77
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
No.

Fantastic response. From my math on ATT website, they are $200 apart in msrp from Note 9 to iPhone XS 256G. So appears to me pricing it about the same.....

Old 21 September 2018, 12:19 AM   #78
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fantastic response. From my math on ATT website, they are $200 apart in msrp from Note 9 to iPhone XS 256G. So appears to me pricing it about the same.....

Galaxy S9 is the direct comparison not the Note.

To compare against a Note, one would have to add the Apple Pen (which, as far as I am aware doesn't work with the iPhone) and use the iPhone XS Plus to get a price comparison.

Plus, a difference of $200 (is that with tax?) is hardly "about the same."

Galaxy S9 $720 T Mobile in the US which is about $250 less than the Note 9.

DAVE

Old 21 September 2018, 12:22 AM   #79
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

I'm not gonna try to act like I'm a phone expert, I use it for what most do and that's it. But those are the prices I found on each of those before taxes. I personally feel 1,000 and 1,200 are in the same ballpark and wouldn't turn my nose at either due to the price difference alone.

Old 21 September 2018, 12:37 AM   #80
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not gonna try to act like I'm a phone expert, I use it for what most do and that's it. But those are the prices I found on each of those before taxes. I personally feel 1,000 and 1,200 are in the same ballpark and wouldn't turn my nose at either due to the price difference alone.

Yes, I here ya, I'm probably the same to be honest, both are fabulous phones.

My point is, if you were going to compare prices, forget about the pen, the Note would equate to a iPhone XS Max.

DAVE

Old 21 September 2018, 03:25 AM   #81
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Quote:

Sent from my iPhone
Which is why I bought a $200 chrome book that's been bullet proof over the last 3+ years. Email, web surfing, chatting....Easier to type and read with that and it just sits on the coffee table/couch for everyone to use. Kids put stickers on it or draw on the case? Whatever, $200.
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 06:12 AM   #82
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Always remember, with Apple you're the customer. With Google, you're the product.

I literally smack myself constantly, I can't believe an iPhone XS Max is available so inexpensively for what it does. And the RESALE at the end of a year! We get to use the very best for pennies a day more than the alternatives that are so much less refined.

Pixel is more of a technology demonstration than a product, it takes Google a year to sell as many as Apple sells iPhones in a week.

RoughlyDrafted: "Android has something like 2 billion people running its free software on their phones, but they do not contribute to commercial activity anywhere near the level of Apple's users. Google has been offering them premium hardware for years and they simply don't buy it."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41863503_10156423674485027_6840891185989419008_n.jpg (80.4 KB, 54 views)
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 08:06 AM   #83
MinMay
Banned

100 wpm on macbook vs 30 wpm on iphone

winner = macbook.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 08:22 AM   #84
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
iPhone X, iMac, iPad Air, Apple TV, and even an Apple watch series 4 on the way so short answer no.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT

Last edited by HL65; 21 September 2018 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: Forgot Apple TV
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 12:09 AM   #85
daveathall
"TRF" Member

I had a play with the XS and XS Max today in the O2 shop in York, very good, I was tempted. I remember queueing outside that shop some years ago for an iPhone 5, big queue. They had all the new models in stock today with a 10 minute wait to see a customer assistant, I was surprised that they had all models and colours in stock. Just shows how times have changed.

I did like the XS which was about the same size as my Pixel 2 but with a much bigger and (I thought) better screen. I might get this one but am thinking of waiting a couple of weeks to gauge reaction. The XS Max was just too big for me, but those looking for an alternative to the Samsung Note (sans pen) have a great alternative.

I have a MBP and an iPad Pro as well as subscribe to Apple Music.

DAVE

Old 22 September 2018, 01:49 AM   #86
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I had a play with the XS and XS Max today in the O2 shop in York, very good, I was tempted. I remember queueing outside that shop some years ago for an iPhone 5, big queue. They had all the new models in stock today with a 10 minute wait to see a customer assistant, I was surprised that they had all models and colours in stock. Just shows how times have changed.

I did like the XS which was about the same size as my Pixel 2 but with a much bigger and (I thought) better screen. I might get this one but am thinking of waiting a couple of weeks to gauge reaction. The XS Max was just too big for me, but those looking for an alternative to the Samsung Note (sans pen) have a great alternative.

I have a MBP and an iPad Pro as well as subscribe to Apple Music.

Sorry to go off topic...

What’s the real world difference between the iPad and the iPad Pro? (I’m due an upgrade).

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 22 September 2018, 03:19 AM   #87
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They had all the new models in stock today with a 10 minute wait to see a customer assistant, I was surprised that they had all models and colours in stock. Just shows how times have changed.
Especially at roughly DOUBLE the daily unit volume compared to 2012 (iPhone 5 launch). Apple's logistics are mind-boggling.
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 03:56 AM   #88
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry to go off topic...

What’s the real world difference between the iPad and the iPad Pro? (I’m due an upgrade).

Thanks.
Truthfully James? Real world difference for me is none. I was bought it as a present, if I bought it myself, I would have just bought the iPad.

Edit; I think at the time (not sure) it was the only iPad that could use the Apple Pen. Which I have never owned or used.

DAVE

Old 22 September 2018, 04:15 AM   #89
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Truthfully James? Real world difference for me is none. I was bought it as a present, if I bought it myself, I would have just bought the iPad.

Edit; I think at the time (not sure) it was the only iPad that could use the Apple Pen. Which I have never owned or used.

Cheers Dave.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 22 September 2018, 04:58 AM   #90
artschool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry to go off topic...

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone
I have the large iPad Pro and find it invaluable. the pen is great and I no longer carry a paper pad around.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote