The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 August 2018, 01:26 AM   #3151
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Good Luck!!!

Of course you could always pay the fee and go MTO if that doesn't work out.
Yeah. Going to wait a few weeks until the new styles are out. If they don't have anything that works, then MTO it is!
Old 11 September 2018, 11:28 AM   #3152
b0rderman
"TRF" Member

Well, after a couple of weeks of light reading I finally made it to the end of this thread. What a ride

Amazing contributions here. I stumbled across this thread researching where exactly to shop for shoes on an upcoming trip to London. It is great to see some first hand experiences with a lot of the brands I was looking to target while in town. Thanks to everyone for the contributions.

When it comes to dress shoes, I have always just hit the easy button and loaded up on a variety of AE stuff to cover my needs. These have all been re-soled, half-soled, re-heeled, etc. over the last dozen years. No need to post any pics of that tired old crew. They will continue to get a lot of wear, but I think I finally have bought my last pair of AE. More recently, I did start to drift from AE with some blake-heavy brands out of Italy such as Santoni & Fratelli Rossetti. Not exactly a progression from AE, but a change of pace, and maybe not everything needs to be GYW, right? ;):

(Those loafers on the end did a cumulative 20 miles shortly after purchase on my honeymoon according to my wife's Apple watch)

My much more adventurous past life in Denver always meant my poor boots must take a pounding. Tens of thousands of miles of motorcycle riding on and off pavement, plus a decade clomping around the snowy streets of Denver. I would have hated to do that to some EGs, C&J, etc. So it was your more typical Redwing, AE, Oakstreet and Viberg stuff for me:

(Second from the end are an early 2010 pair of Oakstreets that have seen it all and have the scares to prove it, I ought to treat them to a new Christy this fall)

Young Vibergs in Grey Nubuck (1035 last) and Black CMX (standard 2030 last):

Someone mentioned not too many pages ago that the Vibergs were a bit narrow for them. I suggest being patient for a favorite leather to come around on the 1035 last which I find to fit a bit wider than the 2030. Here is a mediocre overhead shot to at least show the more rounded toe on the 1035:

Since moving to Florida, I have unfortunately little reason to ever wear boots...but this also means it's less likely my next pair of boots will get trashed too quickly. Maybe it's finally time for some Galways, and maybe that picture of a pair in 'DOAK' posted here will get me to finally pull the trigger. Those were beauties.

I'll end my rambling now, but thanks again for the education...and here goes nothin' in London!
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 11:37 AM   #3153
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Wow. Great post and spectacular shoes.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 02:21 PM   #3154
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rderman View Post
Well, after a couple of weeks of light reading I finally made it to the end of this thread. What a ride

Amazing contributions here. I stumbled across this thread researching where exactly to shop for shoes on an upcoming trip to London. It is great to see some first hand experiences with a lot of the brands I was looking to target while in town. Thanks to everyone for the contributions.

When it comes to dress shoes, I have always just hit the easy button and loaded up on a variety of AE stuff to cover my needs. These have all been re-soled, half-soled, re-heeled, etc. over the last dozen years. No need to post any pics of that tired old crew. They will continue to get a lot of wear, but I think I finally have bought my last pair of AE. More recently, I did start to drift from AE with some blake-heavy brands out of Italy such as Santoni & Fratelli Rossetti. Not exactly a progression from AE, but a change of pace, and maybe not everything needs to be GYW, right? ;):

(Those loafers on the end did a cumulative 20 miles shortly after purchase on my honeymoon according to my wife's Apple watch)

My much more adventurous past life in Denver always meant my poor boots must take a pounding. Tens of thousands of miles of motorcycle riding on and off pavement, plus a decade clomping around the snowy streets of Denver. I would have hated to do that to some EGs, C&J, etc. So it was your more typical Redwing, AE, Oakstreet and Viberg stuff for me:

(Second from the end are an early 2010 pair of Oakstreets that have seen it all and have the scares to prove it, I ought to treat them to a new Christy this fall)

Young Vibergs in Grey Nubuck (1035 last) and Black CMX (standard 2030 last):

Someone mentioned not too many pages ago that the Vibergs were a bit narrow for them. I suggest being patient for a favorite leather to come around on the 1035 last which I find to fit a bit wider than the 2030. Here is a mediocre overhead shot to at least show the more rounded toe on the 1035:

Since moving to Florida, I have unfortunately little reason to ever wear boots...but this also means it's less likely my next pair of boots will get trashed too quickly. Maybe it's finally time for some Galways, and maybe that picture of a pair in 'DOAK' posted here will get me to finally pull the trigger. Those were beauties.

I'll end my rambling now, but thanks again for the education...and here goes nothin' in London!

Great post!!

Gotta Luv those Vibergs!!!

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 05:44 AM   #3155
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Found myself on the Allen Edmonds website after a long time and it's completely different. Can barely tell it is or was primarily a shoe company.

Not a fan at all. I don't think they will last (no pun intended).

On the other hand, I'm thinking about these. Been wanting to try something in suede, but have been hesitant for some irrational reason.

C&J Hardwick

Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 01:56 PM   #3156
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Those look nice. I prefer a hand sewn apron and split toe as those shoes show off the capabilities of the shoemaker, but its a small detail that 99.99% of people will never notice and you will pay a premium for the feature.

FWIW, I would have no problem buying shoes with machined aprons (as long as they're priced accordingly, of course).
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 02:00 PM   #3157
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Found myself on the Allen Edmonds website after a long time and it's completely different. Can barely tell it is or was primarily a shoe company.

On the other hand, I'm thinking about these. Been wanting to try something in suede, but have been hesitant for some irrational reason.

C&J Hardwick
Very nice and I echo a number of things that Wes said. I have more than a few pairs of split toes both in shoes as well as boots.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 20 September 2018, 12:48 AM   #3158
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

C&J Hardwick

I am beginning to think you are a long lost east Coast twin brother.

I am traveling to Paris in October and will be picking up a pair of the Hardwick in the brown pebble grain! Love the 341 last and would have picked the suede but for the fact that my Tetbury's are in the brown suede.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2018, 11:37 PM   #3159
b0rderman
"TRF" Member

Gents,

I am in need of a brown shoe, for winter business trips to the north. It needs to be versatile, I am thinking oxford or a neat and tidy blucher. I'd really like a Dainite sole, but can be swayed otherwise. What are your go-to leather types for inclement weather?
Old 2 October 2018, 11:47 PM   #3160
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Gents,

I am in need of a brown shoe, for winter business trips to the north. It needs to be versatile, I am thinking oxford or a neat and tidy blucher. I'd really like a Dainite sole, but can be swayed otherwise. What are your go-to leather types for inclement weather?

Zug is ultimately the best but good luck finding any. Cromexcel would be next in my opinion and then Scotch Grain being good as well. Some might say Cordovan but for some the maintenance to keep it looking good can be a pain. I've heard some have had good results with Cordovan when treating with Bick4.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 3 October 2018, 12:11 AM   #3161
Syed117
"TRF" Member

After bouncing around for a while, being busy and not having time. I'm planning on picking up a pair of C&J suede loafers on Thursday if they have them.

No objections from the shoe masters correct?

Also picked this up just in case. I do plan on treating them. Apparently this won't darken them.

Old 3 October 2018, 12:32 AM   #3162
dddrees
"TRF" Member

There's two good ones that get great reviews on Styleforum that I have seen and I am aware of. I forget the other but the one I use is Tarrago Nano Protector.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 3 October 2018, 12:36 AM   #3163
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
Tarrago seems to be the most popular on SF.
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 12:39 AM   #3164
epc2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
I am beginning to think you are a long lost east Coast twin brother.

I am traveling to Paris in October and will be picking up a pair of the Hardwick in the brown pebble grain! Love the 341 last and would have picked the suede but for the fact that my Tetbury's are in the brown suede.
That CJ looks like a nice alternative to the EG Dovers and I personally love the 341 last.
Old 3 October 2018, 12:43 AM   #3165
epc2
"TRF" Member

I’ve been reducing my Alden collection but always wanted a pair of Whiskey LHS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 October 2018, 12:44 AM   #3166
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epc2 View Post
That CJ looks like a nice alternative to the EG Dovers and I personally love the 341 last.
Agreed, CJ is a great alternative. I actually have a pair of CJ split toes underthe Peal and CO brand name or Brooks Brothers.

Within the same price range as EG Gaziano and Girling has the Isham and the Hove which are great alternatives to the Dover and a bit sleeker.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 3 October 2018, 12:46 AM   #3167
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epc2 View Post
I’ve been reducing my Alden collection but always wanted a pair of Whiskey LHS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice!!

I have a pair from Rancourt which are somewhat similar but more casual looking.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 4 October 2018, 12:29 AM   #3168
b0rderman
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the leather recommendations, Zug would be great but damn you are right it ain't easy to find. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a grain dainite shoe that appeals to me. I think CXL is out for me, the creasing is OK on a boot but I don't know if I could grow to love it on a shoe.

As far as suede protection...

I use the Tarrago as well, with excellent results.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 4 October 2018, 01:05 AM   #3169
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the leather recommendations, Zug would be great but damn you are right it ain't easy to find. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a grain dainite shoe that appeals to me. I think CXL is out for me, the creasing is OK on a boot but I don't know if I could grow to love it on a shoe.

As far as suede protection...

I use the Tarrago as well, with excellent results.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some creasing is normal with any leather. However uglier creasing even prior to any wear with Cromexcel is typically more common with cheaper shoes or boots. These wrinkles or creases typically come from the skin on the animal which is not the most ideal or it's looser skin. Better shoemakers or more expensive brands typically wont use these areas except for lining and such.

Proper fitting, care, use of shoe trees, and conditioner will also help to minimalize creasing.

Some will also swear by suede as being an extremely good foul weather leather.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 5 October 2018, 12:48 AM   #3170
b0rderman
"TRF" Member

That's interesting to hear.

I have experienced some really nasty CXL boot creasing over the years, a loose grain kind of creasing that would not at all fly on a dress or even semi-dress shoe. Maybe it did have more to do with the lower quality clicking on those boots, rather than the fact that they were chromexcel. Those new black chromexcel Vibergs I just got will be a good test.
Old 5 October 2018, 01:07 AM   #3171
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's interesting to hear.

I have experienced some really nasty CXL boot creasing over the years, a loose grain kind of creasing that would not at all fly on a dress or even semi-dress shoe. Maybe it did have more to do with the lower quality clicking on those boots, rather than the fact that they were chromexcel. Those new black chromexcel Vibergs I just got will be a good test.

The pair I have from Viberg have a small portion of loose grain on the upper side of the boot but overall I don't experience any bad creasing on the vamp of the boot.

My Wolverine 1ks which are notorious for loose grain but none of that is evident on my pair of boots. Maybe I just got lucky. However these have been my most worn of all my boots and although they have creases they're not that bad.

I do have to admit I have a fairly good size rotation to choose from so frequency of wear in my case may not be the same as what it maybe for you.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 5 October 2018, 01:09 AM   #3172
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Planning on stopping by C&J today after work to get those loafers.

Might pick something else up as well. This will not end well...
Old 5 October 2018, 01:12 AM   #3173
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Planning on stopping by C&J today after work to get those loafers.

Might pick something else up as well. This will not end well...

Sounds like a good outcome to me.

Have fun and report back with pictures as soon as possible.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 5 October 2018, 01:14 AM   #3174
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sounds like a good outcome to me.

Have fun and report back with pictures as soon as possible.
Oh of course.

I wouldn't know about this stuff if it weren't for you guys.

Pictures for sure!
Old 5 October 2018, 07:44 AM   #3175
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Damn it...

Didn't get out of my last meeting until 540 and they close at 6.

Will try again hopefully on Saturday morning :(
Old 5 October 2018, 02:15 PM   #3176
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Damn it...

Didn't get out of my last meeting until 540 and they close at 6.

Will try again hopefully on Saturday morning :(
Better to go when your not in a rush anyway.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 5 October 2018, 08:51 PM   #3177
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I told myself i would never buy a pair of Hermes loafers with a H on it... hypocritically it has grown on me, its one of my go to shoes.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2018, 09:31 PM   #3178
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I told myself i would never buy a pair of Hermes loafers with a H on it... hypocritically it has grown on me, its one of my go to shoes.
Loafers with an advertising tablet , whether H or LV, require a certain attitude to wear in public. Nobody knows what kind of watch you're wearing, but that billboard is out there for all to see.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 12:16 AM   #3179
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Better to go when your not in a rush anyway.
Yeah, want to spend a little bit of time there tomorrow morning. Just need some time to myself, this week has been long and frustrating. A new pair of shoes (or two) should help.
Old 6 October 2018, 01:00 AM   #3180
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, want to spend a little bit of time there tomorrow morning. Just need some time to myself, this week has been long and frustrating. A new pair of shoes (or two) should help.

Yeah, I tend to do the same. Something in return that makes the daily trials and tribulations worth it all. Currently it's with another hobby however.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons