The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 4 December 2017, 01:37 PM   #1
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

iPhone X

Anyone have an iPhone X yet? Purchased a new 8 for my daughter. I’m currently using a 7 and am curious if the X is worth the extra money. Yeah I know I’m an Apple fan guy. I like the Apple eco system of my iPad and MacBook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 01:39 PM   #2
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Hi Shannon... There are several posts about your subject on the iPhone 8 thread.
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 02:00 PM   #3
swils8610

Thanks!

Old 4 December 2017, 02:22 PM   #4
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Yes. I’ve had mine two weeks. I went from an SE to an X and I love it. I didn’t want a plus. It’s too big and I have small hands. The x is smaller than the plus with a bigger screen.
Old 4 December 2017, 02:57 PM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Yeah I picked it up launch day and it’s been pretty great so far. The Face ID has its ups and downs but overall it’s a far superior phone than my 7 was. I was expecting more issues.
Old 4 December 2017, 03:09 PM   #6
socialpro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex || Panerai
Great phone - had mine for almost 2 weeks and absolutely no quirks -

Very fluid, great screen, still operable with one hand. I came from a 3 year old iphone 6.

Still have not been able to drain battery down in 1 day with heavy usage. Time will tell how phone holds up.
socialpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 04:04 PM   #7
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
I upgraded from the 7 to the X. It was worth the cost for me. The speed, screen clarity, and camera are all great aspects of the X.
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 04:07 PM   #8
Canook
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many to list
ive had mine since launch day(came from iphone 7)
Its had a few software glitches..freezing up ect... my biggest gripe is the battery is crap! obviously the new bigger screen sucks up battery power...... i use mostly whatsapp/wechat for communication at work, no watching youtube or videos and there is no way i can get a day out of it.
Ive actually had to buy one of those cumbersome battery cases just to get through the day
-16610LV KERMIT
-116600 SD4000....16612 Yachtmaster- 16710 PEPSI
-216570(polar)
-
-Yachtmaster II 116688 126300 Datejust 41 jubilee

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Canook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 04:07 PM   #9
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

love my X. Once you get use to the no home button which takes a few days you will prefer it. Its more intuitive but you do have to break some old habits first.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 04:24 PM   #10
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Got my X a week ago, upgraded from a 7. Very satisfied so far. It has a very nice premium feel to it, worth the extra money in my opinion.
Old 4 December 2017, 06:33 PM   #11
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
I am a big Apple fan with Macbook Pro, Air, iMac, iPad the lot. When it comes to a phone Samsung Note 8 is years ahead.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 08:04 PM   #12
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
I have it.

Mixed emotions. FaceID works 60% of the time.
Old 4 December 2017, 08:38 PM   #13
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
I have the 6 plus,so a few phones back now. If I get an 7 plus or 8 plus to me I would be getting a similar phone, so it would have to be the 10,as said smaller than the plus but a bigger screen. My gripe is, when the phones were £500+, you went on a 2 year contract. Now they are £1000+ the phone companies should make it now a three or four year contract to bring the monthly payments down. I am sure they would sell more of the iphone 10 that way.
Old 4 December 2017, 09:30 PM   #14
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Got mine last week and love it. The Face ID is awesome and even works in the dark. The battery life is actually far better than my 7+. Love the camera too and overall best phone I’ve ever had. I highly recommend it!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 04:08 AM   #15
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Not an Apple user. But, what's with the glass back? The drop tests are as one would expect. lol. Flagship phones aren't my thing anyway.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 05:17 AM   #16
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
I've had my x for a few weeks. I actually miss my finger print verification. The Face ID is pretty temperamental. Other than than, it is a great phone. The battery lasts so much longer than my old 6s. The screen is gorgeous. It is very fast. I just got the new airpods and those are fantastic as well. Literally the easiest pairing bluetooth device I've ever owned.
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 05:22 AM   #17
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
I've had my x for a few weeks. I actually miss my finger print verification. The Face ID is pretty temperamental. Other than than, it is a great phone. The battery lasts so much longer than my old 6s. The screen is gorgeous. It is very fast. I just got the new airpods and those are fantastic as well. Literally the easiest pairing bluetooth device I've ever owned.
Its better than the fingerprint reader IMO. If your hands are not perfectly clean it never worked right. If i forget to shave the face ID still works. My old iPhone was officially my hand washing reminder so i guess i miss that.

The trick is getting use to where to hold the phone so it can see your face, not angled too high or low and at the right distance. I was hit or miss at the beginning until i figured out the sweet spot.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 07:21 AM   #18
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Its better than the fingerprint reader IMO. If your hands are not perfectly clean it never worked right. If i forget to shave the face ID still works. My old iPhone was officially my hand washing reminder so i guess i miss that.

The trick is getting use to where to hold the phone so it can see your face, not angled too high or low and at the right distance. I was hit or miss at the beginning until i figured out the sweet spot.
Mine is calibrated to my reading glasses. I usually hold my phone at that distance and the face ID pretty reliably opens the phone.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 09:48 AM   #19
s14roller
"TRF" Member

The X are at the Apple store, I'd go handle one, take some side by side pics vs. your 7, and make the call. I'm a big iPhone fan (I've had every phone including "S" versions from 3G onward) but stopped at 6S. 7 and 8 weren't different enough for me to change and I was set on the X until I played with it in store. I even had 3 phones already preordered and shipped to me on the launch day. After going to Apple, twice, as much as I tried I couldn't rationalize it being a $1200+ difference (for the 256GB). I'm telling myself after they perfect next year's unit, I'll get it, but we'll see.

I guess it's starting to all feel and look the same.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 07:25 PM   #20
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
I’m going to have to say that iOS 11 GUI sucks! Really dislike it for my uses all around. I went to bed at 2am last night trying to verify my alarm volume was actually loud enough to wake up to go to work. It’s my fault for not being able to retire at 37, but wtf Apple?? Really, the phone is growing on me but the damn menus are total bullsheet compared to the previous release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 09:12 PM   #21
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
I’ve had my X since launch day and, overall, I am very happy with it. I came from a 6 with battery life issues. The X has a great battery but I suspect that is due more to it being brand new than it is to just being a better or bigger battery.
The Face ID works very very well for me. It works in the dark, works with sunglasses, it just works.
Is it worth $1000? That’s up to the individual. For me, it was.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 11:52 PM   #22
car_wash_guy
"TRF" Member

I just got mine within the last week. I upgraded from the 6plus. Overall, I'm happy with the changes & improvements. Speed, screen, size.

What I don't like is FaceID and when I'm driving, which is almost always with sunglasses. It won't recognize me. I don't know if there is a way to set the FaceID to recognize you with sunglasses on, but that is my biggest complaint.
car_wash_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 12:03 AM   #23
lonelyboy
"TRF" Member

Yes, I got mine today. Restoring from my iPhone 7 now.
lonelyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 01:02 AM   #24
worldfamoussam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date II
I'm really enjoying the iPhone X. The only problem is that it's kind of addictive to tell your friends to go F themselves using your face to animate a magical unicorn. And I thought I was too old for that ...
Old 7 December 2017, 07:01 AM   #25
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Love my iPhone X. I don't miss the home button or touch ID one bit. The face ID for me has been amazing, works almost irrespective of light level, regular glasses, sunglasses, etc. The swipe gestures are quite intuitive.

I do have a gripe about setting volumes. Now I have to dive into the settings to set my ring volume, and I hate that you can't choose different volumes for the ring tones and the alarms. The only volume I can set with the side buttons is the speaker volume when listening to music or video, and this is the only volume I can control in the widget section.

I figure I must be doing something wrong, but for a phone that is otherwise so easy to use, it should be much easier to customize volumes for music, ring tones, and alarms.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2017, 04:40 PM   #26
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
Anyone have an iPhone X yet? Purchased a new 8 for my daughter. I’m currently using a 7 and am curious if the X is worth the extra money. Yeah I know I’m an Apple fan guy. I like the Apple eco system of my iPad and MacBook.

Shannon, I literally just uprgraded from iPhone 7 to iPhone X yesterday. The X is nice, but honestly not worth the price for upgrading ($1,000-$1,500).
mcorliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 02:39 AM   #27
swils8610

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorliss View Post
Shannon, I literally just uprgraded from iPhone 7 to iPhone X yesterday. The X is nice, but honestly not worth the price for upgrading ($1,000-$1,500).

That’s been my thought process...spending near $1500 for a phone. My 7 works great. I just like playing with new technology.

Old 9 December 2017, 03:33 AM   #28
NothingToSeeHere
"TRF" Member

Returned it. I couldn't get used to the smaller screen (usable area) as I've been using a Plus since they came out. I also missed the touch ID.
NothingToSeeHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 05:10 AM   #29
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Does anyone know how to get the camera and flashlight icons back on the lock screen? The 11.2 update screwed me and put them in the down swipe menu.
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 05:30 AM   #30
vasnyc
"TRF" Member

Get the X, it's basically a cellphone macbook air. Lol
vasnyc is offline   Reply With Quote