The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 December 2017, 12:01 PM   #31
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
I have had one now for about a week they learning curve is a few days but after having it I really like it. I’m really hoping for the iPhone X plus next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 12:23 PM   #32
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
I enjoy mine, had to get used to the new way of swiping without the home button. It's nice.

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 12:28 PM   #33
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I like mine. Went from a 6 Plus. Face Recognition is excellent. Size is better for me.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 03:40 PM   #34
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I picked up the X a few days ago and so far so good. The loss of the home button is no issue. The learning curve was a snap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 03:38 AM   #35
MrTwi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
Anyone have an iPhone X yet? Purchased a new 8 for my daughter. I’m currently using a 7 and am curious if the X is worth the extra money.
I am going to disagree with everyone else. I have a iPhone 6+ and now a X. I see nothing, technically, worth $1,000. Nothing.

The picture might be a bit sharper but it doesn't matter anymore. Your eye can't resolve he detail. Its a bit quicker but $1,000 more quicker? No.

Face recognition? Who cares? IMO, its a gimmick. They want your money.

Killing apps goes back to iPhone 3 or 4 (I forget which one) aggravation. They just had to make something simple more difficult.

Camera? Want to take serious pictures, buy a DSLR. For the Internet? It doesnt matter. Your old phone is perfectly fine. The internet displays are dumbed down to SRGB color space. No one is going to notice the difference in color or resolution.

4K video? How many TVs can display 4K? How many monitors in the real world are 4K monitors?

etc etc etc.

IMO, if you have a perfectly fine and working phone, don't fall into the trap of throwing money away just because the latest and greatest came out. There is nothing, in there that is a quantum leap ahead of the past. By quantum leap, going to a "retina display" vs prior resolution was a big leap. But this appears to be they just want more money from you.

Just my opinion.
MrTwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 05:00 AM   #36
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwi View Post
I am going to disagree with everyone else. I have a iPhone 6+ and now a X. I see nothing, technically, worth $1,000. Nothing.

The picture might be a bit sharper but it doesn't matter anymore. Your eye can't resolve he detail. Its a bit quicker but $1,000 more quicker? No.

Face recognition? Who cares? IMO, its a gimmick. They want your money.

Killing apps goes back to iPhone 3 or 4 (I forget which one) aggravation. They just had to make something simple more difficult.

Camera? Want to take serious pictures, buy a DSLR. For the Internet? It doesnt matter. Your old phone is perfectly fine. The internet displays are dumbed down to SRGB color space. No one is going to notice the difference in color or resolution.

4K video? How many TVs can display 4K? How many monitors in the real world are 4K monitors?

etc etc etc.

IMO, if you have a perfectly fine and working phone, don't fall into the trap of throwing money away just because the latest and greatest came out. There is nothing, in there that is a quantum leap ahead of the past. By quantum leap, going to a "retina display" vs prior resolution was a big leap. But this appears to be they just want more money from you.

Just my opinion.
The facial ID is about 1000 times more secure than the home button finger print feature. The camera does much better in the dark than most point and shoot cameras. TVs are all going 4K, even the cheaper ones. And the technology will be good for 3 or 4 more years, whereas the 6’s will start becoming obsolete in a year or so.

All the high end smart phones will be $1000 or more moving forward. Basing a review on the price of a phone is increasingly irrelevant.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 06:18 AM   #37
swils8610

I do really like the new X...but will agree it’s very similar to the 6 and 7...prob not worth the extra money but the size fits me perfectly.

swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 06:29 AM   #38
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
I have had one now for about a week they learning curve is a few days but after having it I really like it. I’m really hoping for the iPhone X plus next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My exact thoughts. Word for Word.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 06:29 AM   #39
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
I do really like the new X...but will agree it’s very similar to the 6 and 7...prob not worth the extra money but the size fits me perfectly.

Yes but it’s 10 times faster than those phones. At least mine is.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 06:32 AM   #40
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

The X is nearly perfect, but I am not a huge fan of Face ID. It doesn’t always work and it is not as convenient as Touch ID. I hope Apple is eventually able to integrate Touch ID into the screen. It would be amazing if you could touch anywhere on the screen and the phone would recognize your fingerprint.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 06:40 AM   #41
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
My fingerprint on the 6 quit working. Face recognition is 100% perfect on my X, from any angle. At my gym they have a fingerprint scanner and it doesn't work anymore either so the guy just waves me through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
The X is nearly perfect, but I am not a huge fan of Face ID. It doesn’t always work and it is not as convenient as Touch ID. I hope Apple is eventually able to integrate Touch ID into the screen. It would be amazing if you could touch anywhere on the screen and the phone would recognize your fingerprint.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 06:42 AM   #42
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
I’m not sure the fingerprint is a good idea. The most secure biometric available is facial recognition. With more and more PII and financial information stored on the phone, I think I will want the safest biometric available. I hope they keep face ID as an option if they do roll out a touch anywhere feature.
Old 16 December 2017, 07:43 AM   #43
MrTwi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
The facial ID is about 1000 times more secure than the home button finger print feature.
So what? It would be interesting to know, removing the criminals who don't want police to access the phone, how many users even lock their phones. What's the point? Lose it and you can remotely wipe it anyway.

Gimmick, except for the criminals.

Quote:
The camera does much better in the dark than most point and shoot cameras.
I said DSLR, not P&S. If you want picture for the internet, its a waste of money. An iPhone 5 would be just fine. Don't let them make you think its a big jump. Its not. 99% of users are taking picture of themselves or that fancy breakfast they just bought.

Quote:
All the high end smart phones will be $1000 or more moving forward. Basing a review on the price of a phone is increasingly irrelevant.
Just because something is expensive, relative to its peers, does not implicitly make it any better. An expensive purse or wallet might cost 100 times more than a cheap one. But it doesn't mean its any better. It only means there is a willing seller and a willing buyer. PT Barnum knew.

But hey, send all the money to Apple. I'm sure they are very happy taking it. In the meantime, pictures taken with an iPhone 5 will be perfectly fine for the Internet. Phone calls still work. Text still works. Podcasts still work. In fact, I'm not sure there isn anything that doesn't work.

Its mostly people wanting the latest and greatest from "want" and not necessarily "need".
Old 16 December 2017, 11:16 PM   #44
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwi View Post
So what? It would be interesting to know, removing the criminals who don't want police to access the phone, how many users even lock their phones. What's the point? Lose it and you can remotely wipe it anyway.

Gimmick, except for the criminals.

I said DSLR, not P&S. If you want picture for the internet, its a waste of money. An iPhone 5 would be just fine. Don't let them make you think its a big jump. Its not. 99% of users are taking picture of themselves or that fancy breakfast they just bought.

Just because something is expensive, relative to its peers, does not implicitly make it any better. An expensive purse or wallet might cost 100 times more than a cheap one. But it doesn't mean its any better. It only means there is a willing seller and a willing buyer. PT Barnum knew.

But hey, send all the money to Apple. I'm sure they are very happy taking it. In the meantime, pictures taken with an iPhone 5 will be perfectly fine for the Internet. Phone calls still work. Text still works. Podcasts still work. In fact, I'm not sure there isn anything that doesn't work.

Its mostly people wanting the latest and greatest from "want" and not necessarily "need".
If you travel internationally, you probably noticed facial recognition is becoming the technology used to ID people at passport control. It will be ubiquitous in a few years. Apple is keeping up with the latest trends in device security. People with ill intent are pretty good at defeating security improvements. It’s always best to have the strongest technology available.

My X takes much better pictures than my 7. The camera itself does more to get the image I want without post-processing. Neither my 7 or my wife’s 6s+ is even close. For people that don’t want to lug around a DSLR and lenses, the X will get closer to DSLR imaging than anything out there.

Sorry you are disappointed with your phone. You can probably trade it in and get something you like without losing your shirt if you act now.
Old 17 December 2017, 01:18 AM   #45
MrTwi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My X takes much better pictures than my 7. The camera itself does more to get the image I want without post-processing. Neither my 7 or my wife’s 6s+ is even close. For people that don’t want to lug around a DSLR and lenses, the X will get closer to DSLR imaging than anything out there.
iPhone pics aren't remotely close to DSLRs, even older crop camera never mind full frame. But they are good enough for 99% of the people who do nothing but take pictures of themselves or food. If you don't blow them up and put them on your wall, and only display then in SRGB or monitors, no one is going to notice the difference. I would agree P&S cameras are about obsolete except for the higher end models with optical zoom. Anyone using a iPhone x thinking they are getting "10X" zoom doesn't understand the market speak.

Try tracking sports or flying birds with a iPhone.

Old saying. There are pixels and there are pixels. They are not the same.

But I know, people love to buy the latest gadgets. thats fine. That doesn't mean what you already have doesn't work exactly as it already did. But I think it was a waste of money. But hey, I've thrown money away before. Haha.
Old 17 December 2017, 02:00 AM   #46
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Had mine about a week now. Best phone yet.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 02:12 AM   #47
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
The differences are incremental as always and this is truly a luxury product contrary to how many people think it’s designed for everyone. The build quality alone makes it worth it to me. The iPhone finally feels well made again.
Old 17 December 2017, 02:26 AM   #48
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
I went from 6S to X. All i can tell is that now i swipe up the 6S
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 02:39 AM   #49
cfoxtrot
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
The X is a solid phone, but it does take some getting used to. I use a 6 for work, and an X for personal, so going back and forth between them has got a little tedious.
cfoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 08:39 AM   #50
Go Bucs
"TRF" Member

I have one and like it more than I thought I would. Now when I grab my wife’s plus (I need to be careful how I say that) it feels huge and outdated from an interface standpoint, more so than I certainly expected after having the plus for several years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Go Bucs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2017, 09:19 PM   #51
Jackey tam
"TRF" Member

Watch: es, I like
Tbh i'd wait for the plus model held it in store and it felt like i was holding an SE. same goes for the S8 i guess its just my preference but i feel it an inch too small
Jackey tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2018, 02:40 PM   #52
USALV
"TRF" Member

How is the call quality? I have Verizon wireless has a Carrier, some people have said that the call quality is worse on the Iphone X but the Iphone 8/*Plus.
USALV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2018, 02:41 PM   #53
Secondhandunwinds
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C & DJ
Love my iPhone X!!!
Secondhandunwinds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2018, 02:58 PM   #54
Trouble15
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
I got the X last week. Love it!
Trouble15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 12:08 PM   #55
USALV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondhandunwinds View Post
Love my iPhone X!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble15 View Post
I got the X last week. Love it!
Thank you, Guys!
USALV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 05:02 AM   #56
mschafer
"TRF" Member

Coming from the 7+ I like the smaller form factor, redone photo application. Face recognition is often a nice feature, but with sun glasses, a hat or even lighting a bit of a challenge mad I have to put my passcode in much more often. Another apple drip feed upgrade. While your spending money, get some stock...
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 09:59 AM   #57
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Ok have to admit I’m considering buying an 8 instead Face ID is annoying. Works 4/5 Times but that’s not good enough.
Old 5 January 2018, 10:13 AM   #58
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Ok have to admit I’m considering buying an 8 instead Face ID is annoying. Works 4/5 Times but that’s not good enough.
Once the phone trains you to look it in the "eye", you'll comply

I have an X - or - ahem - it has me - and it is sometimes love/hate. Love the speed and size but sometimes Face ID is laughable.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 10:15 AM   #59
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Once the phone trains you to look it in the "eye", you'll comply

I have an X - or - ahem - it has me - and it is sometimes love/hate. Love the speed and size but sometimes Face ID is laughable.
Would you entertain going to an 8?
Old 5 January 2018, 10:17 AM   #60
77T

Not really - I like the larger screen but wouldn't want the size of an 8plus to get it.

I do think if you own iPads and other touchID devices, the 8 makes sense. I find myself staring at the iPad Pro thinking, "why are you not unlocking?"...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote