The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 September 2018, 10:55 AM   #1
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Monday Night Football has lost the plot

Between the shrill voice of the play by play announcer and the "halftime show", the game has become unwatchable.

I'll be watching Street Outlaws instead.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 11:12 AM   #2
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Long time no see man.

Agree. Just turned it off and am taking in some Deadwood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 11:17 AM   #3
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I completely agree Abdullah, my team (the Lions) are playing tonight and I have to force myself to watch this broadcast (oh by the way the Lions suck). It’s funny, when I was in college it was MNF that got me interested in broadcast and to declare my degree in Telecommunications and EE. Back then, (1980) MNF was such an event, my stated goal was to be the lead producer in the broadcast truck of MNF. Now, I can barely watch it.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 11:53 AM   #4
G8RDPM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Between the shrill voice of the play by play announcer and the "halftime show", the game has become unwatchable.

Abdullah,I missed your posts last month. Football is not what it used to be.
I'm not sure if there will be football in 20 years.
Hope all is well!
G8RDPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 11:56 AM   #5
littleolemoi
"TRF" Member

Are these really my NY Jets out there playing????

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
littleolemoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 11:58 AM   #6
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:

It' unwatchable for much more than that. I'm done with it.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 12:03 PM   #7
dmhines
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss / GMT II
Lol .. its good seeing Jets win ... but the woman announcers voice ... OMG ...
Breitling SOH II - Brown 42 / Breitling 806 Re-Edition
dmhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 01:11 PM   #8
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Most amazing stat in football: Matthew Stafford, in the middle of a 5 year, $135 million dollar contract, starts the season with a 6-52 record against winning teams.
Old 11 September 2018, 01:40 PM   #9
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Monday Night Football has lost the plot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Most amazing stat in football: Matthew Stafford, in the middle of a 5 year, $135 million dollar contract, starts the season with a 6-52 record against winning teams.

Losing teams over time almost never do well in stats vs. Winning teams. A single stat has a way of hanging one or two people out to dry when the team dynamic needs to be understood.

I didn’t look at the PF vs PA numbers but - Stafford is the fourth quarterback in NFL history to throw for over 5,000 yards in a single season, being one of three players to do it in 2011, and is the fastest player in NFL history to reach 30,000 passing yards (109 games). Stafford also holds the NFL record for the most comeback wins in a season, recording eight in the 2016 season.

As for the team dynamic...

The Lions went 0–16 during the 2008 NFL season, the year before Stafford was drafted #1 by them. Since then they have had 5 seasons in the winner’s column over the 10 years Stafford has been there. In the 10 years prior to his arrival, the Lions were in the winner’s column just once.

They are also one of four current teams, and the only one in the NFC, to have never played in the Super Bowl.

So is it QB or is it team?

But yes - interceptions will help people go negative when you ink the most lucrative contract.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 01:41 PM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I still enjoy it mainly because of the implications for my fantasy team. If it wasn’t for that I wouldn’t watch except for my bills and playoffs.
Old 11 September 2018, 04:18 PM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RDPM View Post
Abdullah,I missed your posts last month. Football is not what it used to be.
I'm not sure if there will be football in 20 years.
Hope all is well!
I agree, football might not even be around in 20 years. Im not alone as a parent absolutely not allowing my kids to play. Any other sport is fine, just not football.

At a minimum less people playing decreases people watching even if they are not NFL calibre players who would ever actually play professionally. There is a lot of old ex-high school football players who because they played, continue to follow the sport.

After all, Roman gladiatorial games fell out of favor at some point too as people just stoped liking watching fights to the death and feeding people to lions. This is the same except the effects are more long term.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 09:15 PM   #12
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

About 10 years ago, yes

Same with the rest of the NFL
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 09:17 PM   #13
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
I agree, football might not even be around in 20 years. Im not alone as a parent absolutely not allowing my kids to play. Any other sport is fine, just not football.

At a minimum less people playing decreases people watching even if they are not NFL calibre players who would ever actually play professionally. There is a lot of old ex-high school football players who because they played, continue to follow the sport.

After all, Roman gladiatorial games fell out of favor at some point too as people just stoped liking watching fights to the death and feeding people to lions. This is the same except the effects are more long term.

I used to watch Football when Monday Night Football first came on TV. Football was different back then. I remember Football being more violent. Receivers literally got killed jumping up trying to make a catch. Football used to be fun then. It used to be fun to watch because I was naïve and I never really understood that violence had it's consequences.

Of course no one knew then what we now know with regards to head injuries. Somehow people having long term effects with regards to broken and mangled legs, knees, and other things just somehow never quite measures up to people silently and deadly destroying one's brains.

Too bad we could never quite connect the dots to what happened to Ali in boxing to people who banged the heads wearing helmets playing football early on. People in the know and the owners knew early on, didn't they? I stopped watching and routing for idiots who boxed after I learned about Ali. Somehow looking at someone who became a vegetable made me feel just a bit guilty for just routing for him to get in there and beating and getting beaten up. Somehow it just didn't feel quite right. One of the reasons I stopped routing for idiots playing football was because of Traumatic Brain Injury.

Ah gee football isn't what it used to be.

Then there's that whole Madden thing. After Madden nobody else was ever quite as good. Football was extremely popular for a very long time. Maybe Football has seen it's heyday.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 09:31 PM   #14
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
It' unwatchable for much more than that. I'm done with it.
A lot of that could be fixed if the NFL did what the NBA does. You don't see any of that nonsense at court side.

Quote:

This isn't about the death of football. It's about presenting the game in a watchable fashion. Between the pregame shenanigans we get to see highlighted every week, and this broadcasters attempt to be edgy, MNF is no longer must see TV. Unless the Bears are playing, I won't be tuning in to this drivel again.

As for keeping your kids out, that's your call of course. But, football is a true team sport that teaches youth how to contribute to a common cause. Few sports require every player on the field to be 100% successful for the team to be successful. Football teaches youth to sacrifice their needs for the needs of the team. The we is more important than the me. You aren't going to get that in track and tennis.
Old 11 September 2018, 09:33 PM   #15
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A lot of that could be fixed if the NFL did what the NBA does. You don't see any of that nonsense at court side.

This isn't about the death of football. It's about presenting the game in a watchable fashion. Between the pregame shenanigans we get to see highlighted every week, and this broadcasters attempt to be edgy, MNF is no longer must see TV. Unless the Bears are playing, I won't be tuning in to this drivel again.

As for keeping your kids out, that's your call of course. But, football is a true team sport that teaches youth how to contribute to a common cause. Few sports require every player on the field to be 100% successful for the team to be successful. Football teaches youth to sacrifice their needs for the needs of the team. The we is more important than the me. You aren't going to get that in track and tennis.
basketball... and its safer

football has a lot of issues at the moment and participation rates is one, didn't want to get into the other issues. IMO they are trying to make it more appealing with the presentation but it isnt working
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 09:36 PM   #16
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
basketball... and its safer
Ah... the safer path. Basketball has the highest number of injuries in high school sports. Football is number 2.
Old 11 September 2018, 09:44 PM   #17
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ah... the safer path. Basketball has the highest number of injuries in high school sports. Football is number 2.

Yeah, but Basketball isn't the silent killer sport that Football is. I doubt very much that those statistics include Traumatic Brain Injury.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 11 September 2018, 09:57 PM   #18
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Yeah, but Basketball isn't the silent killer sport that Football is. I doubt very much that those statistics include Traumatic Brain Injury.
I played high school football and had one injury that could be diagnosed as a concussion. I had three playing baseball. When I was bull riding I got one just about every time I rode.

Teams that weaponize the helmet have a higher risk of concussions. Old school tackling takes the head and neck out of the risk zone. My dad played Division 1 football when only wussies wore face masks, and didn't have any concussions.
Old 11 September 2018, 10:04 PM   #19
austinp
"TRF" Member

I love watching my Jags play but dont care to watch games they aren't in. Some of my best memories of my youth was playing high school football. If my kids were boys i wouldn't hesitate to encourage them to play.
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 10:09 PM   #20
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Most of the time if I am going to watch sports, college football and basketball, I will turn the volume off. I then find the broadcast on the radio or internet radio. The announcers do a great job as they do not have the video. Give it a try. Only problem is sometimes there is a broadcast delay of seconds and the radio and television don't line-up.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 10:15 PM   #21
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I played high school football and had one injury that could be diagnosed as a concussion. I had three playing baseball. When I was bull riding I got one just about every time I rode.

Teams that weaponize the helmet have a higher risk of concussions. Old school tackling takes the head and neck out of the risk zone. My dad played Division 1 football when only wussies wore face masks, and didn't have any concussions.
Has anyone yet to determine how many hits or actual concussions it take for one to get Traumatic Brain Injury? Do you actually have to be the aggressor in order to suffer the effects of concussion? Besides the way I remember it you don't actually have to sustain an actual concussion for some damage to occur.

I think it possible your team or coach might be doing the right thing but how many inept coaches or screwed up teams are actually still out there? Amazing sometimes how much it actually takes for some people to do the right thing and then again some never do.

Somehow some way I do think this sport does offer things that others do not. Unfortunately I don't think your ever going to be able to take this risk out of this sport. Maybe it's high time to move on.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 11 September 2018, 10:21 PM   #22
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Gave up on Monday Night Football a loooong time ago. Sadly.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 10:30 PM   #23
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
With most sports anymore I turn on the tv, mute the sound and listen on the radio broadcast. Usually via an app on my phone.

It is a completely different skill set enabling someone who has no video of the sporting event feel like they are right there.

Case in point yesterday, the Brickyard 400. On NBC Sports the usual TV people were average at best. But when they went to Mike Bagley, a radio announcer, who was helping them out due to the sheer size of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, it just changed. The way a good radio commentator can call a game/race and paint that picture for someone that is in a way, blind, is incredible.

As for the product on the field, I agree with most. It is not good with the NFL right now. Only games Sunday that was remotely interesting seemed to be the TB/NO game and the Bears/Packers game.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 10:51 PM   #24
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Has anyone yet to determine how many hits or actual concussions it take for one to get Traumatic Brain Injury? Do you actually have to be the aggressor in order to suffer the effects of concussion? Besides the way I remember it you don't actually have to sustain an actual concussion for some damage to occur.

I think it possible your team or coach might be doing the right thing but how many inept coaches or screwed up teams are actually still out there? Amazing sometimes how much it actually takes for some people to do the right thing and then again some never do.

Somehow some way I do think this sport does offer things that others do not. Unfortunately I don't think your ever going to be able to take this risk out of this sport. Maybe it's high time to move on.
Try this article. Seems life can be very dangerous.

https://www.aans.org/Patients/Neuros...ed-Head-Injury

The following 20 sports/recreational activities represent the categories contributing to the highest number of estimated head injuries treated in U.S. hospital emergency rooms in 2009.

Cycling: 85,389
Football: 46,948
Baseball and Softball: 38,394
Basketball: 34,692This should clear up your doubts.
Water Sports (Diving, Scuba Diving, Surfing, Swimming, Water Polo, Water Skiing, Water Tubing): 28,716
Powered Recreational Vehicles (ATVs, Dune Buggies, Go-Carts, Mini bikes, Off-road): 26,606
Soccer: 24,184
Skateboards/Scooters: 23,114
Fitness/Exercise/Health Club: 18,012
Winter Sports (Skiing, Sledding, Snowboarding, Snowmobiling): 16,948
Horseback Riding: 14,466
Gymnastics/Dance/Cheerleading: 10,223
Golf: 10,035
Hockey: 8,145
Other Ball Sports and Balls, Unspecified: 6,883
Trampolines: 5,919
Rugby/Lacrosse: 5,794
Roller and Inline Skating: 3,320
Ice Skating: 4,608

The top 10 sports-related head injury categories among children ages 14 and younger:

Cycling: 40,272
Football: 21,878
Baseball and Softball: 18,246
Basketball: 14,952
Skateboards/Scooters: 14,783
Water Sports: 12,843
Soccer: 8,392
Powered Recreational Vehicles: 6,818
Winter Sports: 6,750
Trampolines: 5,025
Old 11 September 2018, 11:30 PM   #25
r8t3d_M
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhines View Post
... but the woman announcers voice ... OMG ...
Glad I'm not the only one that found it extremely annoying..
r8t3d_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 11:32 PM   #26
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Try this article. Seems life can be very dangerous.

https://www.aans.org/Patients/Neuros...ed-Head-Injury

The following 20 sports/recreational activities represent the categories contributing to the highest number of estimated head injuries treated in U.S. hospital emergency rooms in 2009.

Cycling: 85,389
Football: 46,948
Baseball and Softball: 38,394
Basketball: 34,692This should clear up your doubts.
Water Sports (Diving, Scuba Diving, Surfing, Swimming, Water Polo, Water Skiing, Water Tubing): 28,716
Powered Recreational Vehicles (ATVs, Dune Buggies, Go-Carts, Mini bikes, Off-road): 26,606
Soccer: 24,184
Skateboards/Scooters: 23,114
Fitness/Exercise/Health Club: 18,012
Winter Sports (Skiing, Sledding, Snowboarding, Snowmobiling): 16,948
Horseback Riding: 14,466
Gymnastics/Dance/Cheerleading: 10,223
Golf: 10,035
Hockey: 8,145
Other Ball Sports and Balls, Unspecified: 6,883
Trampolines: 5,919
Rugby/Lacrosse: 5,794
Roller and Inline Skating: 3,320
Ice Skating: 4,608

The top 10 sports-related head injury categories among children ages 14 and younger:

Cycling: 40,272
Football: 21,878
Baseball and Softball: 18,246
Basketball: 14,952
Skateboards/Scooters: 14,783
Water Sports: 12,843
Soccer: 8,392
Powered Recreational Vehicles: 6,818
Winter Sports: 6,750
Trampolines: 5,025
Although I've wondered how much of this existed this is the first I've ever seen something like this mentioned or provided during a discussion like this. Thanks for bringing it up and if you ask me this should see the light of day more often.

I haven't had much time to think about it yet but a couple of things stick out to me.

Although sports injuries rarely contribute to fatalities, the leading cause of death from sports-related injuries is traumatic brain injury. Sports and recreational activities contribute to about 21 percent of all traumatic brain injuries among American children and adolescents.

Only 21 percent? What contributes to the rest of these injuries? Like you said life is dangerous. How many are caused by car crashes, falling down the stairs, and ??? But only 21 percent are sports related? For years TBI has been linked to football and although in my mind I knew it could be caused from other things for years it's been linked to football.

It's also amazing from first read how many injuries occur from cycling and how many can be simply prevented from wearing helmets. It's also amazing how many complain about laws governing behavior yet by doing so they may actually be protecting people who would have otherwise not worn one.

Thanks for sharing.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 12 September 2018, 12:26 AM   #27
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8t3d_M View Post
Glad I'm not the only one that found it extremely annoying..
For many decades men and women listeners have preferred the deeper toned voices in radio and TV announcing. It's just more comfortable to listen to. Which is why you typically only hear the off-tone voices from the color commentators in sports.

The constant high pitch in the play by play announcer's voice was just annoying. ESPN may be trying to be cutting edge, but true cutting edge improves on success. This experiment forgets what works and tries to shove their edginess down your throat.
Old 12 September 2018, 12:30 AM   #28
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Many people are saying (the best people) that the NFL is failing.

Sad!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 12:32 AM   #29
Star Ferry
Banned

I agree with Abdullah. Some jobs are simply better suited for a woman or a man. ESPN doesn't need to insert women into every job type. Often their pundits even call for female NFL/NBA coaches, which IMO could get weird given that they spend time in locker rooms and hotels together. You also have players from disparate backgrounds -- some from privilege and others from abject poverty -- and I don't know if they'd buy into a female coach. Especially in NBA where players are increasingly foreign-born. Would Embiid listen to a female coach, or just troll her relentlessly on instagram?

Regardless, ESPN lost the plot a while ago and has too many sociopolitical agendas unrelated to sports. Currently I don't have cable and enjoy it. I buy whatever specific content I want to watch
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 12:52 AM   #30
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I agree with Abdullah. Some jobs are simply better suited for a woman or a man. ESPN doesn't need to insert women into every job type. Often their pundits even call for female NFL/NBA coaches, which IMO could get weird given that they spend time in locker rooms and hotels together. You also have players from disparate backgrounds -- some from privilege and others from abject poverty -- and I don't know if they'd buy into a female coach. Especially in NBA where players are increasingly foreign-born. Would Embiid listen to a female coach, or just troll her relentlessly on instagram?

Regardless, ESPN lost the plot a while ago and has too many sociopolitical agendas unrelated to sports. Currently I don't have cable and enjoy it. I buy whatever specific content I want to watch
The classic recipe for an NFL head coach is to start at entry level QA assistant, do all the gopher stuff, get promoted to assistant, spend years working 80 hour weeks, abandon your family needs, commit to the organization, don't make waves, be patient and opportunities will arise. If women are willing to commit to the program, in time one will be promoted to Coordinator or HC. But that'll be 20 years from now, not next week. ESPN wants next week and bloviates ad nauseam about why it's taking so long.

Add their Undefeated political action blog, and they've become what everyone hates about sports media.