The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 July 2020, 02:47 AM   #31
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
[QUOTE=SearChart;10725840]It is not in the quote because a plexi crystal is a standard replacement anyway and is included in the service cost.

I see. Thanks. They quoted me for mine but that was a glass crystal for a 16660. Obviously different.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 05:30 AM   #32
cam182uk
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the help everyone. I've decided to get the watch back from Rolex and go to an independent watchmaker (Steven Hale / shwr).

It would have been interesting to see the result of the Rolex work had i given them the go ahead. I assume the watch with that many replacement parts would have looked brand new and similar to what it would have looked like when my dad purchased it in the 1970s. However i want to keep as much history as possible and as many of the parts i can that were my dads.

I'm going to go with Steven Hale for a couple of reasons. Firstly because so far the service has been great. A couple of emails and a phone call with Jubal has been super insightful and helpful. They are Rolex accredited so any new parts i do need they will be able to source. If the watch is as damaged as Rolex says, then it will be the same result as going to Rolex with all the replacements. It sounds silly but the fact they also have an address also gives me comfort. Another recommendation on this forum, didn't have a street address and when i tried calling they didn't pick up. On googling them i came across another watch forum raising doubts over them so that put me off trusting them with my watch. I don't want to put names here in case i'm wrong but it raised doubts and pushed me towards going to Steven Hale.

Its been a super interesting process so far and i've learnt a lot. Will share updates here once i get updates from Steven, although the wait time is over 25 weeks so it could be a while...
cam182uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 02:00 PM   #33
twnturbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT/1680 MKIV
Nice watch & congrats i have a minty fresh "78" Gmt full set myself but 6 months wait time seems way to long of a time to have to wait .
TAG Heuer Carrera Chronograph Day Date
Bell & Ross BR03-92
twnturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 02:11 PM   #34
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Apparently, he's one of the best ones in London. Good luck with your watch. Enjoy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam182uk View Post
Thanks for the help everyone. I've decided to get the watch back from Rolex and go to an independent watchmaker (Steven Hale / shwr).

It would have been interesting to see the result of the Rolex work had i given them the go ahead. I assume the watch with that many replacement parts would have looked brand new and similar to what it would have looked like when my dad purchased it in the 1970s. However i want to keep as much history as possible and as many of the parts i can that were my dads.

I'm going to go with Steven Hale for a couple of reasons. Firstly because so far the service has been great. A couple of emails and a phone call with Jubal has been super insightful and helpful. They are Rolex accredited so any new parts i do need they will be able to source. If the watch is as damaged as Rolex says, then it will be the same result as going to Rolex with all the replacements. It sounds silly but the fact they also have an address also gives me comfort. Another recommendation on this forum, didn't have a street address and when i tried calling they didn't pick up. On googling them i came across another watch forum raising doubts over them so that put me off trusting them with my watch. I don't want to put names here in case i'm wrong but it raised doubts and pushed me towards going to Steven Hale.

Its been a super interesting process so far and i've learnt a lot. Will share updates here once i get updates from Steven, although the wait time is over 25 weeks so it could be a while...
Old 10 March 2021, 08:16 PM   #35
cam182uk
"TRF" Member

So i realised i never replied with after photos.

After many many months my watch is finally restored. It wasn't cheap but can highly recommend Steven Hale / shwr.

Very happy so thanks for the recommendations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg after.jpg (90.2 KB, 170 views)
cam182uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 09:18 PM   #36
narembeen
Banned

very very nice!
narembeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2021, 11:55 PM   #37
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Very nice. Congrats. It’s a great feeling getting these older ones all fixed up with the old parts still and see them functioning and working properly in that state.
Old 11 March 2021, 12:02 AM   #38
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Nice watch !
You should make a donation and become a pledge member. We saved you like thirty five million pounds on the restoration plus she is worth more as all-original!
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2021, 04:19 AM   #39
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Lovely. Did they colour match the hands? Hard to tell from this single far away shot. Are you going to source a correct insert or just leave it?
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2021, 06:01 AM   #40
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
You are being smart by avoiding RSC with a vintage item.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2021, 11:17 AM   #41
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Well done. Enjoy it
Old 11 March 2021, 12:28 PM   #42
jhew
"TRF" Member

very nicely restored. Beautiful.
jhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2021, 06:41 PM   #43
Woody
"TRF" Member

That looks great - hope it gets lots of wear in the coming years
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2021, 07:04 PM   #44
athom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Go to an independant watchmaker and have him service the movement. If anything ask him to source a pair of matching tritium hands. That and a new crystal (or just polishing the old crystal) and you will have a more valuable, more beautiful and more fun watch to wear and enjoy.
+1000 !
Old 12 March 2021, 01:04 AM   #45
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
It looks fantastic. What did he do, or not do, about the condition of the case?
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 10:06 AM   #46
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam182uk View Post

After many many months my watch is finally restored. It wasn't cheap but can highly recommend Steven Hale / shwr.
Beautiful. You absolutely made a good choice by not sending it to the RSC.

It's always nice to see somebody asking the right questions and then making the right decisions. You've done your father proud.

How about some more detailed pics?
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 10:40 AM   #47
VanPatten14
"TRF" Member

Looks amazing!!!
VanPatten14 is offline   Reply With Quote