The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 8 July 2020, 04:29 AM   #1
orolex
"TRF" Member

AD wants copy of Driver's License

Hey all, I am looking to buy my first Rolex. I am in pursuit of the more desirable stainless steel models. I approached an AD in my area to see if they can put me on "The List". The jeweler was nice and asked me to send over a copy of my driver's license so they can put in a request. Is this standard procedure? I have never been to the store and do not have a relationship with the AD (probably why?).

I am not a flipper and have excellent credit. I am not looking to finance it. The reason why I mention credit is because some (especially car dealers) have the ability to pull your credit with just your driver's license info. I don't want any unnecessary hits on my credit report.

Also, I don't really like (who does) the idea of my info. being on someone's phone. I understand that it is probably just for identification purposes but I just wanted to see if someone else has run into this situation.
Old 8 July 2020, 04:58 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There are hundreds of AD's around, and they all have their own approach to their customers.

Perhaps this Dealer thinks you might be more of a legitimate buyer by this method, rather than somebody who just jots a name down at every shop.
Old 8 July 2020, 05:05 AM   #3
Xenon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by orolex View Post
I mention credit is because some (especially car dealers) have the ability to pull your credit with just your driver's license info. I don't want any unnecessary hits on my credit report.
Totally false.

A Social Security Number is absolutely positively 100% required to run a credit report check.

I know because I pull credit reports at work all day long.
Old 8 July 2020, 05:05 AM   #4
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Never been asked for my DL when I request a watch, but my AD has asked for it when purchasing a watch. Maybe they just update their file on me with it when they take it. Who knows. I never asked as it never bothered me.

If you’re concerned about it, ask about what they use it for. Be polite. Aka, “I’m happy to provide it, but just want to ensure my NPI remains private. What is the DL info used for?”

No biggie

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 8 July 2020, 05:06 AM   #5
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
Totally false.

A Social Security Number is absolutely positively 100% required to run a credit report check.

I know because I pull credit reports at work all day long.
Some drivers licenses still have SSN as the license number. I know it sounds crazy, but this used to be the standard in my state up to 5 or so years ago

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 8 July 2020, 05:13 AM   #6
JodyHighroller
Banned

Just ask what their intentions are with it and go from there. Life is much easier with transparency and communication.
Old 8 July 2020, 05:17 AM   #7
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

I would do it without reservation. If you become a regular buyer, they will get your info in their system anyways. A Rolex AD isn't likely to risk their reputation by doing something malicious with your DL info.
Old 8 July 2020, 05:52 AM   #8
JohnnyM
Banned

Watch: All the good ones
Maybe they want to confirm you have transportation to come pick up the watch when it is ready?
Old 8 July 2020, 06:11 AM   #9
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Is it reasonable to expect an ID confirmation for a large credit card purchase?
Old 8 July 2020, 06:11 AM   #10
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Try another AD if you don’t want to send the info over - personally I would send the info and get on the list if it’s what you want, but then we are covered by GDPR here.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 8 July 2020, 06:25 AM   #11
orolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
Is it reasonable to expect an ID confirmation for a large credit card purchase?
I agree. It is totally reasonable WHEN making a purchase.
Old 8 July 2020, 06:26 AM   #12
orolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Try another AD if you don’t want to send the info over - personally I would send the info and get on the list if it’s what you want, but then we are covered by GDPR here.
I don't mind sending it over. I just wanted to see if it was standard procedure and if someone else had run into the same.
Old 8 July 2020, 06:31 AM   #13
orolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyM View Post
Maybe they want to confirm you have transportation to come pick up the watch when it is ready?
Or.. check my age :)

That would be funny though. If I pulled up in front of the AD on a beat up moped wearing a Casio F91W-1.
Old 8 July 2020, 06:32 AM   #14
orolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
Just ask what their intentions are with it and go from there. Life is much easier with transparency and communication.
Yep, I just messaged them. Let us see what they say.
Old 8 July 2020, 06:36 AM   #15
orolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
Never been asked for my DL when I request a watch, but my AD has asked for it when purchasing a watch. Maybe they just update their file on me with it when they take it. Who knows. I never asked as it never bothered me.

If you’re concerned about it, ask about what they use it for. Be polite. Aka, “I’m happy to provide it, but just want to ensure my NPI remains private. What is the DL info used for?”

No biggie
I probably would not think twice about furnishing my DL in person, but yeah, they probably just want to know if I am serious enough. I just asked them the same.
Old 8 July 2020, 06:43 AM   #16
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
I was asked for DL at my last AD purchase. I was asked if the watch was for me, and I said yes. I didn’t give it much thought at the time but I did use my CC to pay. They probably wanted to make sure the CC was mine. They did use the DL to complete the bill of sale info.
TRF #139960
Old 8 July 2020, 06:45 AM   #17
Xenon
Banned

I would have stormed out of that AD while yelling at the top of my lungs "I'd have bought that watch today if you'd let me!"
Old 8 July 2020, 06:47 AM   #18
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
My local AD Wempe asked me for my national ID card, to my surprise. The reason was they had to "by law". I didn't insist, maybe a measure to prevent money laundering. That plus the fact I couldn't pay cash for anything above €2,500.
Old 8 July 2020, 06:59 AM   #19
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
There are hundreds of AD's around, and they all have their own approach to their customers.

Perhaps this Dealer thinks you might be more of a legitimate buyer by this method, rather than somebody who just jots a name down at every shop.
Bingo.

Stay safe.
Old 8 July 2020, 07:19 AM   #20
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I have never had a watch shop ask to see my Id unless I was considering paying by check and maybe a cc. And that was at the actual time of payment. No, requesting it to put you on a list isn’t normal or appropriate.
Old 8 July 2020, 07:08 PM   #21
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
...No, requesting it to put you on a list isn’t normal or appropriate.
It may not be routine, but it’s not inappropriate.

It’s conceivable that requiring ID is to ensure the person collecting the watch is the person who put their name on the list. This makes it slightly harder for one person to request multiple watches under different names from the same store/chain.

Within the bounds of the law a business is free to conduct themselves as they see fit, just as you are free to take your business elsewhere.
Old 8 July 2020, 09:40 PM   #22
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I was buying a new car for my in-laws once. I was paying in full with a personal check. The dealer demanded that I fill out a credit application so that I could take the car home immediately. I told them, instead, to call me when the check cleared and we'd pick up the car. He insisted that I had to fill out the credit application either way. I ended up taking my check elsewhere, where I had zero problem. Different situation, I know...no one's ever had to get on a list to buy a Dodge Caravan.
Old 8 July 2020, 10:13 PM   #23
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would not provide my DL to anyone unless I understand the situation that they need it. The AD will explain why and you evaluate it and decide. Some AD's only sell hot models to local customers or they want to make sure you are who you say you are and not someone else that has a name on the list numerous times and a flipper.
Old 8 July 2020, 10:22 PM   #24
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I was buying a new car for my in-laws once. I was paying in full with a personal check. The dealer demanded that I fill out a credit application so that I could take the car home immediately. I told them, instead, to call me when the check cleared and we'd pick up the car. He insisted that I had to fill out the credit application either way. I ended up taking my check elsewhere, where I had zero problem. Different situation, I know...no one's ever had to get on a list to buy a Dodge Caravan.

I had a similar experience when buying a car for my daughter remotely. I told them I’d wire the money, no they said...

Sort of p*ss$d me off - was gifting it.

So drive the 50 miles and brought 20 bundles of Hamilton’s portrait. She drove it off the lot - just ridiculous.

Bringing this back around to the OP’s question...shoot a picture of your license and redact data except your name. Email it and be happy you’re on the list.

Unfortunately I believe that AD will not please you with a watch any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 8 July 2020, 11:49 PM   #25
orolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey all, I am looking to buy my first Rolex. I am in pursuit of the more desirable stainless steel models. I approached an AD in my area to see if they can put me on "The List". The jeweler was nice and asked me to send over a copy of my driver's license so they can put in a request. Is this standard procedure? I have never been to the store and do not have a relationship with the AD (probably why?).

I am not a flipper and have excellent credit. I am not looking to finance it. The reason why I mention credit is because some (especially car dealers) have the ability to pull your credit with just your driver's license info. I don't want any unnecessary hits on my credit report.

Also, I don't really like (who does) the idea of my info. being on someone's phone. I understand that it is probably just for identification purposes but I just wanted to see if someone else has run into this situation.

Update: AD said they just need it for ID purposes and they don't save it. I am fine with that and obliged.
Old 9 July 2020, 12:14 AM   #26
Xenon
Banned

They just want to know you are not calling every AD in the country and appearing on multiple hot watch waiting lists which benefits us all in the end.
Old 9 July 2020, 12:18 AM   #27
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
If I was new to the AD it wouldn't bother me. That being said I live in a state where they must scan your DL whenever you want to order a beer.
Old 9 July 2020, 12:44 AM   #28
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Update: AD said they just need it for ID purposes and they don't save it. I am fine with that and obliged.
I see nothing wrong with this.

They likely put you into their system too, which isn't a bad thing, if something you are looking for comes in.
Old 9 July 2020, 12:59 AM   #29
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Jeebus.
Old 9 July 2020, 01:49 AM   #30
Stud Screw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233
I live in Michigan, and recently needed to purchase a one-day Ohio fishing licence online. I was asked to give my name, date of birth, social security number, height, weight, eye color, plus I of course had to give out my credit card info. I guess they thought I was applying for a mortgage. Finally I said the heck with it, fished sans license, and nobody was the wiser.

“Better to have thunk wrong than not thunk at all.”
Closed Thread