The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 9 July 2020, 06:07 AM   #31
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Looks like this turned into an audio gear thread :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 06:07 AM   #32
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post
I appreciate the fine craftsmanship it took to create my gorgeous wife! Hubba hubba!
Pics or it didn't happen
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 06:10 AM   #33
bellesdad0417
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 SD43
My other passion is hand crafted, forged, hammered Japanese chefs knives. I have 12 gyutos' of various sizes that are in constant rotation. More then a few of my knives are made by masters who have since retired and are irreplaceable.
bellesdad0417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 07:44 AM   #34
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
But even if you don't have as much disposable income, the better choices you make things which have been made better can last much longer. They age and look better longer as well. Keep replacing cheaper things and you can spend as much if not more.
I agree quality CAN last longer in some items but I still prioritize what I would get the top quality items and even if I cared about the quality.

My home sound system cost $100. An old iPhone and a Sony player. As others have posted here theirs cost many thousands of dollars. Why the difference?
Because a sound system is not a priority to me.

Some here have extremely expensive cars. Mine is a 2005 Jeep. Although I love cars, its not a priority to me to spend that kind of money on a car.

However if I had Jeff Bezo's money, I probably would.

So to me, priorities and disposable income determine what I value or lust after as being in the top layer of "quality".
Old 9 July 2020, 10:11 AM   #35
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
That makes sense to me.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 03:14 PM   #36
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I agree quality CAN last longer in some items but I still prioritize what I would get the top quality items and even if I cared about the quality.

My home sound system cost $100. An old iPhone and a Sony player. As others have posted here theirs cost many thousands of dollars. Why the difference?
Because a sound system is not a priority to me.

Some here have extremely expensive cars. Mine is a 2005 Jeep. Although I love cars, its not a priority to me to spend that kind of money on a car.

However if I had Jeff Bezo's money, I probably would.

So to me, priorities and disposable income determine what I value or lust after as being in the top layer of "quality".
Agreed, I do that as well. I may have just bought a new SUV but it's not the most luxurious. Mid Size because I'm 6' 3" and I refuse to cram myself into a smaller one like an Equinox that I wouldn't be comfortable in but not a large one like a Suburban. My wife thought the Equinox was cute but it was just to narrow for me. Nice but not the most expensive. I drove a Chrysler 300 for the last 10 years and now it's my wifes. The Suv just happens to make it easier to get in and out of for this older person with arthritis. Besides I've yet to see any car appreciate except for investment grade which I'm not into.

So those things where the return on the investment or the enjoyment factor isn't there for me then I won't. But I have found that there are number of things if I spend just a little more for an outside extension cord for example that doesn't kink as easy and should last longer then I'll pay the extra $50. Besides the kinking thing is just annoying. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but it's a 100 feet so I just can't seem to get the cheap ones right. LOL

A Weber Grill that cost three times what a cheap grill has also been worth it to me. It's lasted ten years so far and doesn't look any worse for the wear and so far I have only had to replace just a few parts. Those things that work for me and don't always need to be replaced so frequently. Things that are known to be built better, last longer, and have life time warranties I'm always interested in.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 10:39 AM   #37
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
This is the type of craftmanship I appreciate.

https://youtu.be/FCuvdv8FO54

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 11:36 AM   #38
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
Nothing screams more quality then a $14,000.00 Leica Noctilux Camera Lens

Attachment 1147572

Attachment 1147573
Nothing screams luxury more than a cell phone picture of a super top shelf rangefinder lens.

You guys want affordable luxury? $20 on Amazon. Green Bell nail clippers from Japan.

We loved ours so much that we’ve ordered a dozen more as gifts. Super sharp. Very satisfying to use.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 02:14 PM   #39
Jona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lig View Post
Nothing screams luxury more than a cell phone picture of a super top shelf rangefinder lens.

You guys want affordable luxury? $20 on Amazon. Green Bell nail clippers from Japan.

We loved ours so much that we’ve ordered a dozen more as gifts. Super sharp. Very satisfying to use.
Old 10 July 2020, 02:33 PM   #40
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Have been using Leica camera for 20 years.
And recently Brompton bicycles.
Old 10 July 2020, 05:34 PM   #41
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
LEICA Noctilux 50MM F/0.95...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
have been using leica camera for 20 years.
And recently brompton bicycles.

7E6DA77B-2E56-4A85-89DE-1FC794E0BD50_1_105_c.jpeg

79528CF4-DC65-420F-8391-4E19AAB27542_1_105_c.jpeg

034A3E2B-393A-44EB-962E-D818C014D529_1_105_c.jpeg
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 06:33 PM   #42
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
This is the type of craftmanship I appreciate.

https://youtu.be/FCuvdv8FO54
Fabulous, just fabulous.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 11:50 PM   #43
Jona
Banned

I built this workbench with 2x4 basics and 2x4's and plywood. Cost <$100 and can hold many hundreds of pounds (and does).

Old 11 July 2020, 12:24 AM   #44
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Surefire Arc28C HID Flashlight QUALITY

A7BD5908-9E0E-4336-9FE1-EE2708F7D3ED_1_105_c.jpeg
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 01:16 AM   #45
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
I like simple, durable items. Form that follows function. I rarely purchase the lowest-price item, but I also rarely purchase the highest price item. I have two wallets from Saddleback Leather I rotate between depending on how much cash I'm carrying, and one of their briefcases. That's kind of the sweet spot for me. Simple, capable of lasting a lifetime, but aren't so ostentatious or expensive that I'd worry about setting it down on a concrete sidewalk if I'm eating lunch.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 01:57 AM   #46
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Pics or it didn't happen
No pics she'd stop cooking my food!

Trust me, I'm over chicked!
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 02:11 AM   #47
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona View Post
I built this workbench with 2x4 basics and 2x4's and plywood. Cost <$100 and can hold many hundreds of pounds (and does).

Nice work!
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 05:47 AM   #48
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I appreciate it when my toys are well-engineered, meticulously put together, robust enough take a beating, and a pleasure to use mechanically. There is a lot of crap out there. Sometimes it looks great, but breaks down with cut corners in design. Sometimes the design is lazy rendering the machine being irritating to use. Sometimes it functions perfectly well but is a bit boring or utilitarian, lacking in the "pride in ownership" department. Then there's the good stuff....

For me personally, it's my coffee gear and my photography gear I indulge in.

Espresso by uscmatt99, on Flickr

The espresso machine is made in England of all places by an espresso enthusiast who wanted to design a machine with an Italian Bosco lever group attached to a counter friendly machine and consumer-sized boiler. The grinder is made by an independent guy in Seattle. Every few months there is a lottery to get on a list to get one of his grinders, usually 50 in a batch. The consistency of the grind is phenomenal for such a small single-dose machine, and there is virtually no retention of grounds due to design, which can lead to old grounds mucking up an otherwise fine drink. These things are a pleasure to use and with a bit of maintenance will last a lifetime. I couldn't want for more.

Shimoda 30L loaded by uscmatt99, on Flickr

For photography gear I can't top our resident Leica collector. But I have a mix of Zeiss, Voigtlander and Nikon lenses that I use with Nikon and Leica camera bodies. I actually get more pleasure from taking the pics than looking at them later.

That said, I actually take pictures too, with the gear Here are a couple, the first in Bali with the Leica, the second in Grand Teton with obligatory Rolex shot using the Nikon, the third a pic of me taken by my wife with the most ubiquitous camera of all, the iPhone.

Mandapa walk by uscmatt99, on Flickr

Teton Explorer by uscmatt99, on Flickr

Teton Selfie by uscmatt99, on Flickr
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 06:27 AM   #49
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
I’ve recently had a growing interest in Stickley Mission style furniture. I visited the Stickley factory in Syracuse this week for their annual direct sale. Picked up an accent table, a small bookshelf (no pic) and a Mission table lamp at about 50% off.

BFB21536-9465-4770-B54D-6186429187A0.jpeg

E1D24704-27A5-4364-B120-3FFB49A547F1.jpeg
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 02:02 PM   #50
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
I like simple, durable items. Form that follows function. I rarely purchase the lowest-price item, but I also rarely purchase the highest price item. I have two wallets from Saddleback Leather I rotate between depending on how much cash I'm carrying, and one of their briefcases. That's kind of the sweet spot for me. Simple, capable of lasting a lifetime, but aren't so ostentatious or expensive that I'd worry about setting it down on a concrete sidewalk if I'm eating lunch.
Saddleback in my opinion is an excellent example of fine craftsmanship and something where the company backs it product for life. Leather, well made, good looking, and guaranteed for 100 years. Hard to beat that.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 04:04 AM   #51
Mifune
Banned

Love Stickley...
I am a sucker for both mission and mid century design... Wakefield, McCobb, Stickley
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2020, 11:48 PM   #52
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by lig View Post

Thanks for this. Immediately ordered them and have been very impressed with their quality and design. They thought about how people hold them and made sure there are finger holds at various angles and very easy lever action. Also very sharp. Thanks again for one of the most useful posts I've read.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 01:55 AM   #53
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
Thanks for this. Immediately ordered them and have been very impressed with their quality and design. They thought about how people hold them and made sure there are finger holds at various angles and very easy lever action. Also very sharp. Thanks again for one of the most useful posts I've read.
It’s my pleasure!

How often does $20 bring that kind of satisfaction?
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 05:14 AM   #54
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Really enjoy a quality ice cube.
I have no time for pellets.
+1
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 05:59 AM   #55
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Elie Bleu Humador, I have one, stopped smoking cigars years ago, its just too nice to get rid of, has important papers in it at the moment.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 06:08 AM   #56
JChips
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Elie Bleu Humador, I have one, stopped smoking cigars years ago, its just too nice to get rid of, has important papers in it at the moment.

Very nice. That’s a classic humidor. Unfortunately a lot of the non-watch items that I’ve accumulated and that would fit this category are PNG on TRF... hahahahaha The images might frighten delicate eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JChips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 04:16 PM   #57
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Have been using Leica camera for 20 years.

And recently Brompton bicycles.
I was going to start a new thread as I just purchased a Brompton today, but then the trusty search function led me to your comment.

I picked up the H6R in racing green. Obviously in the honeymoon phase, but loving it so far. These are such well crafted and clever machines, hand made in London. To take a concept that would seem so prone to faultiness or failure, and turn it into something this intuitive and reliable is truly impressive.

Here are a couple pictures of mine, would like to see yours:

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 04:21 PM   #58
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

...Oh, and I would also recommend Folio Society books. They do beautiful editions:

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 11:51 AM   #59
Ecandrew
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
I have used a Saddleback Briefcase for about 12 years now. Dang thing has been all over the world and carried everything from diapers to wine bottles to laptops. Scraped the hell out of it on a wall at the colosseum and stuffed it full of pine cones in the shadow of the Dolomites. Fewer things have been with me more during things I remember than that bag. I fully expect my kids to carry my remains to the sea in it. Great bag!
Ecandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 08:38 PM   #60
JChips
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecandrew View Post
I have used a Saddleback Briefcase for about 12 years now. Dang thing has been all over the world and carried everything from diapers to wine bottles to laptops. Scraped the hell out of it on a wall at the colosseum and stuffed it full of pine cones in the shadow of the Dolomites. Fewer things have been with me more during things I remember than that bag. I fully expect my kids to carry my remains to the sea in it. Great bag!

Yeah, I’ve got one too. Great products, at least the gen 1 versions, with the pigskin lining. I am not so impressed with the newer designs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JChips is offline   Reply With Quote