The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 6 December 2005, 09:23 PM   #1
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

IWC vs BREITLING Titanium Divers

Would you choose one over the other, for any other reason bar cosmetics!!!!, I've got the breitling coming in the next weeks, no commitment, AD says if its too much not a problem, and offers to show me something similar! a IWC, well before darens aquisition it wasn't a brand I was really aware of, anyone care to give me "there opinions" and take on the two brands and a choice between both these titanium divers

thanks
steve

Last edited by worktolivelife; 7 December 2005 at 12:17 AM..
worktolivelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2005, 10:40 PM   #2
----

On style alone, the IWC wins hands down.
Old 6 December 2005, 10:49 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well must admit not a huge fan,but IMO the IWC has just got that bit of extra smile factor.But Steve its your choice mate,you have the one you like.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2005, 12:54 AM   #4
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Steve, I am a fan of the history of the Aquatimer line and the brand itself. It is all about what looks best to you. I love my AT, actually wearing it again today for the second day in a row. Yesterday I wore it on the rubber strap, today it is on the Ti bracelet. I love the look of the watch both ways and how easy it is to switch back and forth.

I would never say one is better than the other between the two you mentioned, as far as I know, both are excellent. But for me, all things being equal I would take the AT all day long. Here is a cut and paste I did on some info on the durablity of IWC's Ti they use. It is supposed to be the most durable on the market.

IWC'S TITANIUM

IWC pioneered the use of Titanium in watches 20 years ago, first in the startlingly original Porsche Design Titane, then the revolutionary Ocean 2000. In attaining this status, IWC has attained probably more know how in exotic case making than any other - especially in working with Titanium.

Thus it is clear from looking at their cases, the quality of machining that shows through in the results obtained from this difficult to work with metal. In the latest incarnation of the Titanium watch by IWC, the GST series, this science of the Art of making cases has been further advanced.

The Titanium cases are machined by the removal of metal in complex processes. The case and its components are painstakingly turned, milled and drilled, allowing closer tolerances than a stamped product. That is why, it is said that the Ocean case is water resistant even without its back case gasket because of the precise fit of the machining of the case back screw threads with the case itself!

Newly developed in-house processes include covered or hidden welding of titanium (previously thought to be a material not able to be welded), controlled environment soldering and high vacuum annealing and ways of bonding the titanium with the sapphire glass by using a non-aging, non-deteriorating silver-platinum thrust ring to produce dive watches capable of 2,000m resistance to water ingress.

The latest innovation has been the nitriding process for hardening titanium and other alloys. IWC achieved a level of Vickers Hardness of 2,400Hv, compared to the Ventura achievement of 1,300Hv for their hardened Titanium!! This is at the level of synthetic sapphire and just short of Lanthanum/Boron Carbide (9 on the Mohs scale). In comparison, normal Titanium is approximately 180Hv and hardened Stainless Steel is 700-800Hv.

In addition, IWC has developed techniques for polishing and abrasive blasting of Titanium (with sapphire beads). The Titanium alloys used contain Vanadium and aluminium with extreme high temperature stability and a tensile strength of 1000Mpa.

Miscellaneous Information:
Titanium: Group IVb of Periodic table
Atomic number: 22, Mass numbers of 46-50
Atomic weight: 47.9
Melting point: 1,668 Celcius
Density: 4,51g/ccm

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2005, 12:59 AM   #5
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
It's really a matter of personal taste. To me, saw the AT 3 weeks ago and I just fell in love with it! Already ordered one (SS, rubber strap), should be here for xmas.
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2005, 01:22 AM   #6
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I'd go with the Breitling, Steve. You can only dive to 6K feet with the IWC. You can go all the way to 10K feet with the Breitling. You never know when you made need to go that extra depth.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2005, 01:28 AM   #7
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
I'd go with the Breitling, Steve. You can only dive to 6K feet with the IWC. You can go all the way to 10K feet with the Breitling. You never know when you made need to go that extra depth.
Yeah if you croke on a dive your watch will survive as you sink into the abys
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2005, 01:34 AM   #8
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
I would choose the IWC. It's a great looking watch IMO and super comfy. Most of the Breitlings are too thick for my taste, but they're good watches.
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2005, 01:49 AM   #9
Atomic

If you can't have a Seiko BM, the IWC AT is a great second choice for a dive watch.
Old 7 December 2005, 02:09 AM   #10
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS
I would choose the IWC. It's a great looking watch IMO and super comfy. Most of the Breitlings are too thick for my taste, but they're good watches.
It is comfy, I would say buy it on the bracelet and buy the strap afterwards to have the options.

Old 7 December 2005, 02:10 AM   #11
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
If you can't have a Seiko BM, the IWC AT is a great second choice for a dive watch.
Fair and valid point John.

Old 7 December 2005, 02:23 AM   #12
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

Thanks Daren fascinating info on the titanium, the one he offered me was on a rubber strap which i liked it seemed more intergrated with the casing than many straps I've seen, whats so special about the IWC bracelets i keep reading about

steve
Old 7 December 2005, 02:44 AM   #13
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolivelife
Thanks Daren fascinating info on the titanium, the one he offered me was on a rubber strap which i liked it seemed more intergrated with the casing than many straps I've seen, whats so special about the IWC bracelets i keep reading about

steve
I have a pro and con about the bracelet actually. The bracelet is not flexible from the lugs, so it is different than a Rolex. There is no micro adjustment so if the fit is not right, it can be a pain. Normally the bracelet is perfect on me, today is cold as shite so the bracelet is not as perfect. If you can get the perfect fit you will not find a more comfortable bracelet.

The great things are that they are comfortable, and they are also super easy to interchange. They provide the tools needed and it is just a couple of pushes and you are done.

I am a fan of the strap as well, to me it is the best and most solid one I have found. I actually like it about as much on the rubber strap as the bracelet.

Old 7 December 2005, 02:58 AM   #14
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

I did actually prefer the look on the strap, the one he showed me also came with a deployant push button clasp, it gave the watch i a more fun, leisure tool look which is what im looking for

steve
Old 7 December 2005, 03:11 AM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
IWC vs Breitling? IWC in the blink of an eye, Steve....no contest!! Good luck on your final decision!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2005, 08:33 AM   #16
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolivelife
I did actually prefer the look on the strap, the one he showed me also came with a deployant push button clasp, it gave the watch i a more fun, leisure tool look which is what im looking for

steve
WOW!! That sounds really awesome!! I may have to look into that. It may be just a SS thing though.

Old 7 December 2005, 09:37 AM   #17
alpet

Watch: me carefully
I just love the look of that IWC!! If it were my mind to make up...there wouldnt be any second thoughts..
alpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2005, 09:56 AM   #18
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpet
I just love the look of that IWC!! If it were my mind to make up...there wouldnt be any second thoughts..
Mine is a hair different being a chrono, but I love it!

I have actually worn it two days in a row and for me that is not mormal.

Old 7 December 2005, 12:13 PM   #19
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
I really like that IWC. That could be a good post-Rolex watch. Or maybe that should be a Pam. Hmmmmmmmm. Decisions, decisions.

Tyler
Member #84
baseballduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2005, 02:53 PM   #20
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballduck
I really like that IWC. That could be a good post-Rolex watch. Or maybe that should be a Pam. Hmmmmmmmm. Decisions, decisions.

Tyler
Keep the goals Tyler, I really like that, without aim you will hit nothing everytime.

Old 7 December 2005, 11:36 PM   #21
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
Keep the goals Tyler, I really like that, without aim you will hit nothing everytime.
Are you using Al's sayings, now?