The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 12 November 2019, 01:36 PM   #1
crawlspacestefan
"TRF" Member

NOMOS World Timer

Hey, everyone.

I’m currently trying to decide what watch to pick up to celebrate a significant milestone I’ve recently achieved and a the GMT/second time zone complication is one of my favourite that also sort of makes sense for my job and milestone. That’s led me to look at NOMOS World Timer (along with some other watches that don’t quite fit the bill - a Speedy, El Primero and Navitimer, but that’s another story).

Anyways, I was wondering what people with the NOMOS think about it long term? I’m sort of worried about the setting process, with that button on the side that seems to require the use of a tool? I’m going to be rotating it with my Submariner, so I don’t want something that’s a bit of a pain to set when it dies, etc.

Curious about everyone’s thoughts.

And because every thread is better with photos, here’s the NOMOS on my wrist and a gratuitous shot of my Sub!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crawlspacestefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 02:23 PM   #2
indycole
"TRF" Member

You only really need to use a tool (or toothpick) periodically. Most of the time one swaps timezones with the pusher above the crown. It's super easy to just press the pusher and watch the world go-round.

The strap it comes with is nice but I rotate in a different Nomos strap to lighten it up for more casual wear. It's a fun watch!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2990.jpg (86.7 KB, 392 views)
indycole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 08:54 PM   #3
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
Do take a look at the Frederique Constant world timer manufacture... all operated via the crown.
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 10:50 PM   #4
soho
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Wonderful watch, I have the blue and I love it. I wear mine on a OEM black leather strap with brown stitching.

Note that Ace jewelers in Amsterdam just rolled out a special edition with a black dial that definitely is worth checking out.

soho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2019, 05:10 AM   #5
crawlspacestefan
"TRF" Member

It’s encouraging to know that so far the consensus is it’s not really annoying to re-set after it sits for a while and stops. Definitely helps ease some of my concern. Who knew picking one’s next watch could be so hard?!

Old 13 November 2019, 03:49 PM   #6
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Really love this piece, especially in the blue. Nomos pieces are all pretty cool and good value. But, nobody knows who they are, and I bet they take a decent hit on resale. I doubt Nomos changes in the next 10 years. They keep pumping out stylish and somewhat quirky pieces that only watch nerds care about. That actually seems to be their business model.

If you want something that is still popular in 50 years, of course go with a Speedy or Reverso.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 12:41 AM   #7
jpwv
Banned

I have not experience with it but it looks sharp.

Congrats on the milestone. No better way to celebrate a life event than a new watch.
jpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 12:45 AM   #8
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch, I had the white dial

denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 02:10 AM   #9
Gui Gui
"TRF" Member

How about changing the Sub for a GMT, or even stepping up to an Overseas Dual time? The interchangeable straps may even convince you it's more than one watch...
Gui Gui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 05:56 AM   #10
stockae92
"TRF" Member

This NOMO is not a world timer, right? the city disc doesn't turn without the press of the button? So it would only show 2 time zones at a time?
stockae92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 06:00 AM   #11
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
This NOMO is not a world timer, right? the city disc doesn't turn without the press of the button? So it would only show 2 time zones at a time?
Correct.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 07:04 AM   #12
crawlspacestefan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gui Gui View Post
How about changing the Sub for a GMT, or even stepping up to an Overseas Dual time? The interchangeable straps may even convince you it's more than one watch...
Yeah, not a bad idea - but, the Submariner was also a milestone watch so it'll never go!
Old 14 November 2019, 05:38 PM   #13
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Correct.
Thanks for the confirmation.
stockae92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 06:47 AM   #14
furcafe
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hamilton 5101 FAPD
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlspacestefan View Post
It’s encouraging to know that so far the consensus is it’s not really annoying to re-set after it sits for a while and stops. Definitely helps ease some of my concern. . . .
You only use the inset button to change home time in relation to local time (as shown by the hands), so even if the watch stops, unless you've changed your home location to another time zone, you just set the watch using the crown (after making sure you have the correct local hour set using the main button, of course).
furcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 02:20 PM   #15
petro
"TRF" Member

I too am lusting over the Zurich, but the white one. I do have a couple of Rolex GMT's, but I think this Zurich looks so elegant and sophisticated, that I have been researching this reference for a few weeks now.

I think Nomos is a respectable brand that is making waves, and I think they have increased their prices as of late. I purchased a Nomos Datum Gangreserve last month, and the finishing on this watch is truly impressive! I do hope you push through and I recommend going pre-owned? Well priced examples can be had for a decent discount. Good Luck!
petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 11:33 PM   #16
zorinindustries
"TRF" Member

Watch: It varies
Definitely get the Nachtblau dial. I own this and adore it. It’s no problem to set, and the city ring sets with a really satisfying click.

It’s a fabulous travel watch. You won’t regret it. Also flies under the radar if you’re in a city where there’s a risk of street crime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
zorinindustries is offline   Reply With Quote