The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 January 2020, 05:11 AM   #1
Parapraxis
"TRF" Member

HELP! Rolex newbie who got a call from the AD for a watch, not sure if I should pull

Hi all, I'm new here. Being a beginner, I was hoping to ask for some guidance from more experienced members.

Background: just transitioned into my career. things are going well and financially I am now stable. I wanted to purchase a watch to commemorate this milestone in life. Naturally, Rolex came to mind due to the brand recognition/flex factor. However, after doing my research, I began to really appreciate horology in general. I now find myself wanting to take up the hobby of watch collecting. So my motivations for this first purchase have shifted slightly. However, I have learned a lot in the past six to eight weeks, and I'm continuing to do so.

Watch journey so far: I quickly realized that it is a very difficult time to obtain a Rolex from an authorized dealer. as I started to learn more about the hype, I was drawn to stainless steel sports models myself. I ultimately settled on a submariner as my first watch as I felt it was a fair compromise between price, recognition and quality. I began to reach out to every authorized dealer in my area and visit on a weekly to bi-weekly basis in order to form relationships. Only to authorized dealers do not laugh at me, so I had some hope that I would be able to form a relationship with them, although with each passing week that hope was starting to dwindle.

Current situation: however, yesterday I received a phone call from one of those authorized dealers. I had just made my weekly visit to them earlier in the week so I suppose I was fresh in their mind. they told me they had just received a shipment and that they had a two-tone root beer that they would be willing to offer me. given that I was so hyper focussed on stainless steel models, I never considered the root beer. I did some research overnight but didn't think that I would like it, none the less I decided to go in this morning to have more face time with them. I thought I was going to go in there and respectfully decline The watch, hoping that it didn't hurt our relationship and then I would still be in mind for future watches. However, I kind of fell in love with a watch. It's a beautiful piece. It's different, but not in a loud or flashy way. It's conservative and mature, which is more in line with my personal brand. It would be more appropriate for my work setting than a Pepsi or a Batman or Hulk. I convinced them to give me one night to sleep on it. They will hold it until tomorrow morning. I am out torn on whether or not they should be my purchase and my first watch in my collection.

Many thoughts are coming to mind, but the major ones are the following:
1) is the root beer a more respected watch than the submariner?
2) is the root beer worth the extra money? (Root beer = 17.5k CAD, submariner = 10.5k)
3) is the root beer more likely to appreciate, or at least hold its value, in comparison to the sub-mariner?
4) Is the root beer a difficult watch to get? Will I be kicking myself if I don't jump on this opportunity now?

any other perspectives of considerations you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Parapraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 05:46 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
1. Respect Does anybody "respect" a Sub any more?

2. It has gold parts, it's going to cost more.

3. Any Rolex will hold it's own - no need to try and compare it to something else

4. It's a good looking watch.

Get a watch that you want to wear and have been looking forward to. Only you can decide if you want a TT vs. a SS, or whatever.
Old 13 January 2020, 05:51 AM   #3
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Subs are very common these days so if you're looking to get something that is a little different than what everyone else has, root beer would be a good pick.

If you have the cash and like the root beer... go for it. I wouldn't spend so much time with the trivial questions around which model is respected or hard to get. Buy what you like.
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 05:53 AM   #4
Wood&Leather
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
1. Respect Does anybody "respect" a Sub any more?:
lol. can't readily answer which i see more of, black dial submariners or canada goose jackets.
Wood&Leather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 05:57 AM   #5
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

The Root beer is a Rolex GMT verses a Sub. They are equally “respected” in the world of collectors.

2) is the root beer worth the extra money? (Root beer = 17.5k CAD, submariner = 10.5k)

A precious metal watch costs more so yes.

3) is the root beer more likely to appreciate, or at least hold its value, in comparison to the sub-mariner?

Don’t buy a watch for future value but in short, yes it will hold its value.

4) Is the root beer a difficult watch to get? Will I be kicking myself if I don't jump on this opportunity now?

All Rolex sport models are in short supply. Depends on the day and AD.

any other perspectives of considerations you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Does the watch make you smile and will you enjoy it for years? If yes, buy it. If not, pass. Its a gorgeous piece.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 05:59 AM   #6
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
HELP! Rolex newbie who got a call from the AD for a watch, not sure if I should pull

If you are referring to a watch being revered over another, that just depends on what is the flavor of the week.

The TT CHNR has gold. It’s going to cost more than a solid steel watch.

You need to ask yourself how are you going to handle it should the watch lose its value instead.

No Rolex is hard to get. They are readily available from greys, trusted sellers etc. If you are referring to from an AD exclusively, you pay in time instead of cash.

This is going to sound cliche but is the best advice there is. Get the watch you want. Or else you’re just going to end up selling it down the road and either stop there or go through watches serially until you get burnt out.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 05:59 AM   #7
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I will make this very simple......ALL Rolex watches are built the exact same way, in the same factory, made with the same standards of excellence.
The most important thing a newbie has to know is their lifestyle and what you like to look at on your wrist.
Everything else is silly internet white noise. Buy what you love and you will never regret your purchase.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 06:01 AM   #8
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
'My' short answer is No X 4. Don't rush it, take a little more time. It doesn't sound like you really want it anyway.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 06:01 AM   #9
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
The bellow. Would add to wait on the sub, a new one is around the corner.
RootBeer is a stunning not so common model, I would surely get it if I have the funds plus it’s a gmt which is a great functionality. All that said, it’s a matter of taste, think of the watch as something you’ll have to love not as an investment or what we think of it. I suggest visiting your AD and try it on your wrist then listen to your heart. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
1. Respect Does anybody "respect" a Sub any more?

2. It has gold parts, it's going to cost more.

3. Any Rolex will hold it's own - no need to try and compare it to something else

4. It's a good looking watch.

Get a watch that you want to wear and have been looking forward to. Only you can decide if you want a TT vs. a SS, or whatever.
Old 13 January 2020, 06:02 AM   #10
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Since you are new I hope I can help a little. The AD is always looking for buyers. People who will be able to spend. The clients who spend will get calls to buy in multiples and will be offered hot pieces, but to get into that position you have to spend. So they offer a piece that wasn't on your list. Your response tells them what kind of client you will be.
Old 13 January 2020, 06:14 AM   #11
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you do like the CHNR, not called the rootbeer - there is already that model, then I'd buy it, no different to the others, then you can build a relationship with AD.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 06:18 AM   #12
tla
"TRF" Member

buy it -- love that watch
tla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 06:26 AM   #13
gmtln
"TRF" Member

Through my own experiences, I usually know within seconds of putting the watch on my wrist whether I want it or not.

It sounds to me like you have your heart set on a Sub, and rather looking for forum members to "convince" you that the CHNR would be a better buy.
The SS shortage has resulted in many cases where people have purchased references which they probably wouldn't if given a choice, just because they got 'THE' call!

As others have mentioned already, buy what YOU like and what sings to YOU.
Otherwise it may hurt your wallet in the long run (again...speaking from experience!).
gmtln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 06:27 AM   #14
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
Don't buy a watch because that's what they have.
cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 06:31 AM   #15
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
I mean, what it should come down to is; do you (yourself) like the watch?
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 06:34 AM   #16
TurboTim14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I will make this very simple......ALL Rolex watches are built the exact same way, in the same factory, made with the same standards of excellence.
The most important thing a newbie has to know is their lifestyle and what you like to look at on your wrist.
Everything else is silly internet white noise. Buy what you love and you will never regret your purchase.
great advice
TurboTim14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 06:37 AM   #17
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
That's 2x the cost and wasn't on your radar. You need to like it because the trade in value on that one is going to be at best flat or you lose money. That being said, I'd wear it over a sub any day.
Old 13 January 2020, 06:41 AM   #18
Kyle3130
2024 Pledge Member

You lost me at "flex factor" please don't every buy anything because the people you asked on the internet told you to do so! Do some more research on what YOU want to wear and then decide for yourself. The search function is your friend.

P. S. Welcome to the forum!
Old 13 January 2020, 06:41 AM   #19
logo
"TRF" Member

Overall, I would say you are not ready to buy. You have been sucked into the hype train and now you are jaded and confused between what you actually like, and what you think will demonstrate respect and a good value proposition. One sleep will not answer this for you, but here are my opinions on your queries:

No such thing as "respected more" in Rolex. Everything is respected - they are all Rolex.

No such thing as "is it worth it" when it comes to Rolex and luxury watches in general (there are stainless steel watches for well over 50K for instance). You pay for the quality, the name brand, the manufacturing, and yes a bit of gold. Is the extra amount "worth it" for some gold is not something anyone here can answer for you.

Don't let your first Rolex be about this. Buy what you like - all Rolex will hold their value reasonably well if you really plan to sell one day, but since this is your first Rolex I doubt you will ever want to part with it (and many here would advise against parting ways with your first). At the end of the day, we are talking about a mass produced luxury item (over 1 million per year) so the days of ridiculous appreciation are probably long gone for stainless steel Rolex watches). The Daytona/Pepsi/Hulk hype is stupid IMO. Buy it to wear, not as an investment.

I don't think it's terribly hard to obtain if you pass this one up. But you should buy because you like it, not because it's available.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 07:04 AM   #20
pepsiretail
Banned

CHNR is a fine model. You wanted a Sub. The AD is playing the usual games that rule the day.

What should you do?

If the game intrigues you and you have the means, then play. If not, don't.
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 07:09 AM   #21
VincentM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116518-LV-CHNR-DJ-
I have been reading reviews, watching YouTube videos, participating in Facebook groups for about 2 years before deciding to buy my first Rolex. In November 2018, a new AD opened near my home. I manifested my interest for a Sub (114060). In January 2019 I received a call from my AD offering me a Sub date. I politely declined this offer since my preference is the no date.

In February 2019, as a was walking in my AD store, I saw a TT CHNR in the display. Tried it on and instantly loved it. However I did not buy it because I thought it was too expensive. Back home, I could not take it out of my mind. Reading reviews and watching videos, I finaly decided to buy it. Unfortunately when I came back to my AD, the watch was already sold.

I said that I was very interested if they received another one. Got the call in April!
So this was my first Rolex! And I must say that I don’t regret it at all!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
VincentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 07:10 AM   #22
Dr.Stu
2024 Pledge Member

Great advice in this thread, but also complicated by the fact that your first Rolex is a somewhat emotional purchase, especially if it is a milestone-event watch.

I think ultimately you will acquire a Sub and a GMT, and they (Subs) are not that terribly hard to get- (compared to a Daytona, e.g.) & I think walking away from a CHNR, which is also a desirable model, also says something about you to the SA.

If you really want the Sub to be your first Rolex/milestone-watch or, if you will always look at the CHNR & think that, then you can tell that to the sales associate & wait, you will eventually be offered one. If you just want a Rolex to mark the occasion, and the CHNR fits your personality & you love it & think you will one day want to get one anyway (beautiful watch, great functionality w/date & GMT), then go for it now if the price is not an obstacle. You will then, in reasonably short-order, be offered a Sub, which you can wear as your weekend watch.
Dr.Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 07:23 AM   #23
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If the Sub were available and side by side with the CHNR which would you choose? Also don’t talk yourself into something that would even mildly be a financial stretch. It sounds like you want to be in this hobby for the long term so take your time...
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 07:37 AM   #24
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I think you answered your own question.

If in doubt, don't.

Wait for the one you know you can't live without. You'll know it, because anybody else's opinion won't matter.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 07:42 AM   #25
H25B
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, OP31
Get what you want. Go with your gut. Nothing else matters. Declining something you don’t want will not hurt your cause. You’ll get a Sub pretty soon, they seem to be delivering within a few months for people whose ADs take seriously.
H25B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 07:48 AM   #26
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

If you have been doing research on TRF
You should know by now buy what you like because even if we answered YES to all your questions if you don't like the rootbeer and don't wear it then what is the point of buying a watch you don't wear??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 07:51 AM   #27
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parapraxis View Post
Hi all, I'm new here. Being a beginner, I was hoping to ask for some guidance from more experienced members.

Background: just transitioned into my career. things are going well and financially I am now stable. I wanted to purchase a watch to commemorate this milestone in life. Naturally, Rolex came to mind due to the brand recognition/flex factor. However, after doing my research, I began to really appreciate horology in general. I now find myself wanting to take up the hobby of watch collecting. So my motivations for this first purchase have shifted slightly. However, I have learned a lot in the past six to eight weeks, and I'm continuing to do so.

Watch journey so far: I quickly realized that it is a very difficult time to obtain a Rolex from an authorized dealer. as I started to learn more about the hype, I was drawn to stainless steel sports models myself. I ultimately settled on a submariner as my first watch as I felt it was a fair compromise between price, recognition and quality. I began to reach out to every authorized dealer in my area and visit on a weekly to bi-weekly basis in order to form relationships. Only to authorized dealers do not laugh at me, so I had some hope that I would be able to form a relationship with them, although with each passing week that hope was starting to dwindle.

Current situation: however, yesterday I received a phone call from one of those authorized dealers. I had just made my weekly visit to them earlier in the week so I suppose I was fresh in their mind. they told me they had just received a shipment and that they had a two-tone root beer that they would be willing to offer me. given that I was so hyper focussed on stainless steel models, I never considered the root beer. I did some research overnight but didn't think that I would like it, none the less I decided to go in this morning to have more face time with them. I thought I was going to go in there and respectfully decline The watch, hoping that it didn't hurt our relationship and then I would still be in mind for future watches. However, I kind of fell in love with a watch. It's a beautiful piece. It's different, but not in a loud or flashy way. It's conservative and mature, which is more in line with my personal brand. It would be more appropriate for my work setting than a Pepsi or a Batman or Hulk. I convinced them to give me one night to sleep on it. They will hold it until tomorrow morning. I am out torn on whether or not they should be my purchase and my first watch in my collection.

Many thoughts are coming to mind, but the major ones are the following:

any other perspectives of considerations you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Pass.

If they can get you a CHNR and you're new to them, they can find a Sub Date in SS.

All this justifying bias and FOMO is no way to buy a watch.

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 07:54 AM   #28
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I think you answered your own question.

If in doubt, don't.

Wait for the one you know you can't live without. You'll know it, because anybody else's opinion won't matter.
Bingo. Thank the AD and politely decline.
Old 13 January 2020, 07:55 AM   #29
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
If i were you i would wait a bit, yes...i think the Rootbeer is an amazing watch but if you pull the trigger and buy it your sure to get another call off them soon also offering you the Sub,
what would you do then?
Do you have the funds to get both? cause if you dont you will be pulling your hair our having to say no to the AD's Sub offer!
tough choice mate
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 07:59 AM   #30
Bryan81
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Which do you like more, the Sub or this GMT? If you can only afford one in the near future, only settle for the one you want. Now, if you can (reasonably) afford both and really like this GMT, then go ahead and pull the trigger.

Personally, I like them both equally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote