The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 September 2019, 11:01 AM   #1
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
can't escape the bad luck

swapped the trans in my 323ci and the pump was bad so I went out and bought a 330ci to drive as I benched the 323 for a minute,had a riot in the 330 until I was on my way home from work one day and I was in detroit, ended up getting a gun pulled on me in stop and go traffic because some guy was road raging that I left a few carlengths ahead of me since i was driving a manual. then a few days later the 330ci just randomly sputtered out and died, all my diagnostic and mechanical expertise couldn't figure out what was wrong, was going to be atleast a week until it could get looked at so I went out and bought a volvo c70 to winter beat and drive in the meantime. got the LT version with the higher output engine, got it for a steal, only light on the dash was SRS(airbags) i figured I had never been in an accident and usually airbags are an easy reapair so I wasn't worried. paid for the car, grabbed lunch for my sisters birthday, went back to pick up the car and get it registered. pull out at a busy intersection with people waving me through, get completely blindsided by a f150 trying to make a yellow light or somthing(im not sure, i blacked out when he hit) last thing i remember hearing is tires screeching and me waking up on the side of the road with my car bent 6 inches to the right from the front corner panel up, the anti roll bars went off(it was a convertible) but the air bags didn't. suffered a stage 2/3 concussion and have been in worlds of pain the past week. been having anxiety attacks every day since, had constant migraines, and they couldn't give me any addictive pain killers because my previous alcohol abuse issues.

Hug your kids, let your family know you love them, and never take life for granted. you never know how it's going to go. 3 years ago to the day my fiance left me, i've been to rehab twice since, survived a suicide attempt, damn near got shot( second time in 2 years first was when I managed a pawn shop) and life will change at a moments notice when you least expect it. I think this was my wake up call, as much as it sucks, I could be in the ICU right now. as always, thanks for being a great group of supportive people, and sorry I just needed to vent, screwed alot of stuff up in my short 25 years here. but think it's probably good for everyone to reflect and realize that most of our problems aren't major, but when left unchecked they grow, and the weight gets quite heavy to carry.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 11:10 AM   #2
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Wow you've been busy.
Sorry to hear of your run of bad luck and I hope you recover smoothly and quickly.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 11:14 AM   #3
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Wow.

That’s rough. Glad you are okay.

And good attitude. Keep that attitude and all will get better. For certain.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 11:23 AM   #4
DJ TT 2002
2024 Pledge Member

Life is not about what happens to us
Life is about how we handle what happens to us.

You have a wonderful attitude
Go forward with strength and courage
DJ TT 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 11:32 AM   #5
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
I hope your string of bad luck leads to a bright and sunny future. All the best to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 September 2019, 11:59 AM   #6
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I thought my week was bad, after replacing the electromagnetic a/c clutch in our third "Beater Honda" the whole week before in the evenings with plenty of cursing and Pita to escape the 52 straight 100 degree days. I thought I was pretty darn handy. I drive a 80+ toll road for work. Driving my new Honda and covering someone's overnight returning home at dawn I hit a Texas Coyote flush square at speed. It blasted through the front grill then V'd the ac condenser and radiator into the exhaust. Limped it home the last 20 miles. The smell of ac refrigerant, coolant, burning rubber hoses and coyote guts is something to behold.

Unlucky for me I had to do it again the next day. No problem, I'll take the old Honda. Half way into my 100° 1 hour commute my professional a/c work grenaded at 80 leaving no a/c and spun bearing metal on metal cacophony of the harshest sound imaginable. Twenty miles later I pull up to our facility in a 15 year old Honda with all that going on just in time to impress the management leaving with my clothes dripping with sweat.

I get home and both kids are sick so I can't do anything about the coyote guys rotting for two and a half 100° days in my garage waiting for the insurance company to call me back. I had it towed to some place I assume is a body shop and now wait for them to figure it out. Meanwhile I just ordered a recon a/c compressor to try again because I'm hard headed and no bolt on its going to thawrt me!

But yeah man you're current situation makes mine laughable. I'm sorry and hope it gets better
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 12:25 PM   #7
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Everytime I start thinking how bad things might be going for me, I think of my cousin who wound up a quadriplegic because of what should have been a relatively minor motorcycle mishap. After his accident, every hour of his life was more of a struggle than the worst year of mine.

It does give one perspective.

So here's to better days ahead.
Old 19 September 2019, 12:36 PM   #8
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Glad you weren’t hurt worse and are recovering. You have certainly been through hell so glad to read you continue to be thankful for the good and looking forward to better times.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 01:23 PM   #9
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
ugh, I hate working on Air conditioner stuff, replaced all of it in my 323 before I put in a transmission without checking the pump first. at this point im so far behind with everything i'm trying to find someone who will take the 323 and all its parts and fix it. but it's likely going to get stripped of any interchangeable parts for my 330 and the rest parted out to other people since the body other than the hood and bumper cover are excellent. interiors decent and the rear end on it is worth a few bucks. the volvo is completely totaled, so I am just getting a check for that. put 39 miles on the car from the time I bought it until it was taken out. meanwhile my poor 330 hasn't been touched in over a week and I have to call and get it into a shop asap at this point and then find another winter beater since i'm not going to expose this one to salt as it's clean as can be underneath. and I plan on doing some upgrades.

I enjoy working on cars but people don't lie when they joke about repairing these things. I have all the codes cleared and parts replaced and she still doesn't want to run leading me to believe it's an injector, mild fuel pump failure, or complete coil or plug failure.

I can hardly move still and screens/tv/noise have still been giving me horrible migraines but I feel like it's going to be getting better from here physically speaking. going to see the neurologist tomorrow though as i'm still having pretty severe concussion symptoms.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 01:59 PM   #10
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 02:11 PM   #11
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Glad you’re alive and well!

Pickups suck!

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 08:13 PM   #12
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Greg, you are a tough sob, you are dealing with everything the right way. You will get through this, remember, this will make you stronger and wiser. Life lessons are not always nice and rosy. Hang in there.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 09:25 PM   #13
THC

Watch: 16610M
You are young and obviously strong Greg, so I think a quick rebound will be in order. Good luck man
THC is offline   Reply With Quote