The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 9 January 2013, 07:16 AM   #14971
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
That ring is very nice and at a good price!
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2013, 07:38 AM   #14972
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Lovely ring Lisa, if you had a said it cost a couple grand I still would of said nice. It's really pretty, haven't got a clue about jewellery. So glad I'm a guy and just have to worry about what watch I'm wearing and not rings, necklaces, bracelets, and earrings as well.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2013, 07:51 AM   #14973
The Joker
"TRF" Member

The next Susan Boyle Really looking forward to seeing this film this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX5ZrMRdu2A
Old 9 January 2013, 07:53 AM   #14974
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Sorry that's a crap camera angle, only see my back. Butchered that song a bit
Old 9 January 2013, 08:03 AM   #14975
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Lovely ring Lisa, if you had a said it cost a couple grand I still would of said nice. It's really pretty. So glad I'm a guy and just have to worry about what watch I'm wearing and not rings, necklaces, bracelets, and earrings as well.
It's funny... I used to like wearing jewelry (though never had any nice stuff except for my engagement ring) but after having kids and quitting working, it just didn't fit my lifestyle. Now that the kids are in school I find that my interest is renewed. Maybe I think about my mom a little, too. She loved pretty rings but wouldn't ever buy them for herself.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2013, 08:05 AM   #14976
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Quote:
I like to think it's all the little mistakes that make live music good.

We can all play it perfectly if we can be bothered, right Carl.
What are you talking about!? It sounds like I have hands full of thumbs, I can barely play a bloody chord without hearing my fingers crack!

...Oh...uh...I mean...yeah, totally! Like, we are not bothered and stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
One of my husband's favorite albums ever is Todd Rundgren's Live in Japan. He watches it on DVD...over and over and over.....

Carl, thanks for showing us the Zep album, but you know what? This sounds silly, but I find it, I don't know, depressing when old rocksters can no longer sing the way they used to. Like when the Honeydrippers music came out... it just wasn't how I want to remember Robert Plant's vocals.
I don't know Lisa, I think it's better to have a singer who can adjust his voice than one that tries to do what he used to do and fail miserably. In all honesty Robert Plant did sound awful (in my humble opinion and with all the respect I have for the legend) at some point because he would keep trying to get the high notes he used to have on Led Zeppelin albums. During their 2007 show, what I saw was rather a man who knew he couldn't do what he used to do but also a man who found a way to adjust things so he could sing with more passion and energy instead of trying to get high pitches he would have never had anyway. I personally like to see musicians playing when they reach that age, I believe that's when I can say they still have it as I hear an evolution in their playing and singing.

Quote:
Carl - I have a jewelry question for you about precious metals. I've been wanting to find a nice blue topaz or aquamarine ring to complement my new Datejust. What metal is best, and which one would look the nicest being worn with the DJ? Platinum? 10K or 14K white gold?

Which of these metal choices is the whitest/brightest?

I've heard that white gold eventually loses its color and will tarnish. Maybe it would tarnish similarly to the white gold fluted bezel on the DJ....
Alright, let's try this answer again...

If you compare platinum and white gold, you can possibly notice a little difference between the two alloys. I'm personally not a man who usually notices those things right away but I know I noticed it when I tried a platinum Day-Date and I saw it besides a white gold Daytona.

Here are some pictures, it's not as obvious as when you see them at an AD but perhaps you'll be able to see a little something.

Platinum

White Gold

Let's first talk about Platinum, shall we?

If you are looking for a platinum ring you'll have to spend much more on it. Indeed, given that it's considered a more noble metal its price is, from what I saw, much higher than gold, however, this is not the main problem I see with it. Even if you are willing to put the extra money on it, you may find it difficult to find a platinum jewel with stones like a topaz or an aquamarine on it. As far as I know I believe this metal is used much more often with precious stones if not almost only diamonds (I may be exaggerating but you do get the point), it's pretty much like the reason why you'll never find a diamond on a silver ring (I could be wrong with that one but as far as I know it's pretty much the only reason).

That leaves us with white gold...

Allow me to reassure you, gold is not a metal that tarnishes over the years. It has been said that its color could possibly change but I personally never noticed such a thing and even if it's real I think it is much more noticeable on yellow and rose gold alloys. The same thing applies to the different purity levels of the alloy, whilst you may notice a difference between 10kt yellow/rose gold and 18kt yellow/rose gold I believe the difference is not as obvious with the white one, which leaves you (in my humble opinion) with plenty of choices!

All in all, I'd respectfully recommend you to look at white gold instead of platinum. Provided that you will notice a very big difference between those two, the first one will match your fluted bezel much more. As for 10kt and 14kt (unless you want to go with 18kt white gold but as far as I'm concerned I think you'll just have something very similar with a higher price that will only be - again, in my humble opinion - for the hallmark inside the ring), I would probably recommend you to go with what you find first. The advantage of the ring you are looking for is that there are (at least that's what I saw) many rings in jewelry stores (the big ones as well as the smaller stores in malls) that have those rings, all you need to do is look for birth stones jewels (and boy do jewelry stores have a lot of those) if you don't just come across one in their displays. The only thing is that you will have to make up your mind regarding the size of both the stone and the ring itself as well as the price, after that you may start shopping and look for the perfect one or the best compromise!

P.S.: I'd recommend you to look on Ebay as well as you may find it easier to find the ring. Given that jewelry stores may not always have a big inventory you could find it hard to find something that matches your critera, sometimes because the stone you want can't be found and sometimes because the color of the alloy isn't the one you want. Good luck and I hope my paragraph helped a little bit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Rider View Post
If Brian Setzer was Chuck Norris, he could beat Chuck Norris.
Watch it Bill, let's not become vulgar here!

Quote:
Lookie what I found at the antique shop today.... it's sterling silver and amethyst and reminded me of my little Violet... I thought $30 was pretty good!

Very lovely ring! I love antique (or antique looking) jewels, they may not always be as shiny but they always seem to have very nice (and sometimes handmade) designs!

Quote:
So glad I'm a guy and just have to worry about what watch I'm wearing and not rings, necklaces, bracelets, and earrings as well.
Would that mean I'm not a guy because I worry about the rings, necklaces and bracelets I have to wear?
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2013, 08:11 AM   #14977
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingTheBlues View Post

Would that mean I'm not a guy because I worry about the rings, necklaces and bracelets I have to wear?

Old 9 January 2013, 08:22 AM   #14978
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Funny thing is, I considered getting my ears pierced as well...I'll let you know when it's done so you can try to post this again!

- André Fortin
Old 9 January 2013, 10:24 AM   #14979
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Wes - thank you for the beautiful song. It got me thinking about a couple of those amazing performances from that show - so I looked up Susan Boyle's Britain's Got Talent audition and also Paul Potts'. If you haven't seen his, oh, my - it will make a grown man cry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQOr7Kmh4Fw
Old 9 January 2013, 10:30 AM   #14980
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Carl - thank you so much for the information! I feel so lucky to have you here to share your knowledge. I've got to wrangle some kids for a bit, but will settle down to re-read in a bit.
Old 9 January 2013, 10:33 AM   #14981
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Carl - thank you so much for the information! I feel so lucky to have you here to share your knowledge. I've got to wrangle some kids for a bit, but will settle down to re-read in a bit.
I do have the bad habit of writing too much, forgive me for that!

It's always a pleasure to help a friend out.

- André Fortin
Old 9 January 2013, 10:33 AM   #14982
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Thanks Lisa. Yes I'm more than aware of them two from Britain's got talent, both amazing.

Don't know whether you have seen this one, but for me this is even better from last years show. Charlotte and Jonathan. These two go to the same school I went to and are obviously local.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv-6TQfsC-Q
Old 9 January 2013, 10:38 AM   #14983
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Let me know if you can't see the clip. Funnily enough they came 2nd place to a dog in the final.
Old 9 January 2013, 10:54 AM   #14984
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Ever eat a Star Fruit?

Picked a bag of them today. These and citrus are coming in now.

Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2013, 11:38 AM   #14985
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Quote:
Lovely ring Lisa, if you had a said it cost a couple grand I still would of said nice. It's really pretty, haven't got a clue about jewellery. So glad I'm a guy and just have to worry about what watch I'm wearing and not rings, necklaces, bracelets, and earrings as well.
Wes, you have not seen a photograph of me and the jewelry I wear then or all my Tattoos.....I have somewhere around 35 Tattoos, 7 ear rings in my left ear with five being high quality Diamond Studs(Hearts On Fire)and two are Sapphires. Then I also wear two Hearts On Fire Diamond and Gold Rings...one on each hand...the Rolex GMT and I carry two MontBlanc Fountain Pens as well.....
Take it easy.....Leo

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2013, 11:41 AM   #14986
Lion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's funny... I used to like wearing jewelry (though never had any nice stuff except for my engagement ring) but after having kids and quitting working, it just didn't fit my lifestyle. Now that the kids are in school I find that my interest is renewed. Maybe I think about my mom a little, too. She loved pretty rings but wouldn't ever buy them for herself.
Lisa, what a great find and I bet it looks great on your finger...which hand are you wearing it on?
Okay...I looked at your pictures again and answered my question.....right hand ring.....very nice!!!
Take it easy.....Leo

Old 9 January 2013, 12:20 PM   #14987
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
Wes, you have not seen a photograph of me and the jewelry I wear then or all my Tattoos.....I have somewhere around 35 Tattoos, 7 ear rings in my left ear with five being high quality Diamond Studs(Hearts On Fire)and two are Sapphires. Then I also wear two Hearts On Fire Diamond and Gold Rings...one on each hand...the Rolex GMT and I carry two MontBlanc Fountain Pens as well.....
Take it easy.....Leo
Have seen some of your Tats Leo, very cool. Nop not seen the jewellery you wear, I'm sure they look great.

Hope I didn't offend any the guys here with my comments.

Not sure what the 2 montblanc pens are for, I did see how deadly Jason Bourne can be with a pen.
Old 9 January 2013, 12:24 PM   #14988
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Have seen some of your Tats Leo, very cool. Nop not seen the jewellery you wear, I'm sure they look great.

Not sure what the what the 2 montblanc pens are for, I did see how deadly Jason Bourne can be with a pen.
I am offended!

- André Fortin
Old 9 January 2013, 12:38 PM   #14989
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Let me know if you can't see the clip. Funnily enough they came 2nd place to a dog in the final.
I remember those guys - whew, what a performance!
Old 9 January 2013, 12:44 PM   #14990
mikkibarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
NICE amethyst. That's my favorite stone. Nice to see we have women on the forum. I'm new to the board, trying to figure out some of the nuances of the wonderful world of Rolex. I'm looking at finding something from my birth year in yellow gold since I already have a gold and steel yachtmaster, and a circa 1922 really cool watch that I'm not going to wear a lot for fear of messing it up.
mikkibarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2013, 12:55 PM   #14991
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkibarry View Post
NICE amethyst. That's my favorite stone. Nice to see we have women on the forum. I'm new to the board, trying to figure out some of the nuances of the wonderful world of Rolex. I'm looking at finding something from my birth year in yellow gold since I already have a gold and steel yachtmaster, and a circa 1922 really cool watch that I'm not going to wear a lot for fear of messing it up.
Welcome to TRF!

There are indeed some very nice and kind ladies on this forum and most of them like to hang out in this peaceful oasis that is the Coffeeshop, I'd like to invite you to post in here more often as we all enjoy to meet new people!

Good luck with your quest for a birth year watch! As for your 1922 watch, allow me to strongly recommend you to enjoy it, it has been made to be worn and there's no need to be afraid to "mess it up". If I may, below are pictures of some watches of mine that are almost as old as yours, they all get regular wrist time and none of them have ever been "messed up".

Circa 1930 (more or less)...

Circa 1940 (more or less)...

Circa 1960 (more or less)

- André Fortin

Last edited by FeelingTheBlues; 9 January 2013 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: I didn't read the quoted post properly, my apologies!
Old 9 January 2013, 01:12 PM   #14992
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkibarry View Post
Hi! Glad you found us!

I think a birth year watch is a terrific idea. A 1920s watch? That sounds very intriguing... hope you can share a pic of us soon.

Glad you like the amethyst. I'd like to get my girls birthstone rings eventually, but they don't have very interesting colors - two are pearl and one's a garnet. I have heard that garnets come in several colors, though.

Maybe a yellow gold Day-Date is in your future!
Old 9 January 2013, 01:14 PM   #14993
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lisa, what a great find and I bet it looks great on your finger...which hand are you wearing it on?
Okay...I looked at your pictures again and answered my question.....right hand ring.....very nice!!!
Take it easy.....Leo
Okay Leo - show us your diamonds!

Hey, if you have a Hearts on Fire of a carat or more, can I buy it? I'm looking to up-size my old engagement ring.
Old 9 January 2013, 01:19 PM   #14994
Lisa
"TRF" Member

PS - Carl, your vintage collection is outstanding.

For Virginia, here is my ca. 1954 Omega bumper movement:

Old 9 January 2013, 01:19 PM   #14995
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Psst, guys! Here's a little something from Celebration Day...one of my favorites just for you...

- André Fortin
Old 9 January 2013, 01:21 PM   #14996
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
PS - Carl, your vintage collection is outstanding.

For Virginia, here is my ca. 1954 Omega bumper movement:

Thank you Lisa, I have more watches but those are really the oldest ones.

Your bumper Omega is simply lovely! Is it gold plated or solid?

- André Fortin
Old 9 January 2013, 02:31 PM   #14997
Lion
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Not sure what the 2 montblanc pens are for, I did see how deadly Jason Bourne can be with a pen.
I use them to write when I need a pen during the day...I prefer the way a fountain pen glides across the paper using no pressure when I need to use a writing implement. I also prefer using a mechanical pencil which uses 2mm lead(drafting lead) and a hard lead such as 3H when a pencil is needed. Regular No.#2 pencils use HB as the lead which is in between soft and hard for the quality of the graphite.....

As for being offensive.....I do assume you take a shower everyday and clean up. or do you subscribe to the one shower a month club??? LOL!!!

Take it easy.....Leo

Old 9 January 2013, 02:49 PM   #14998
Lion
"TRF" Member

mikkibarry, hi...welcome to The Girl's Coffeeshop Talk.....where the best of us hang out(actually that is just my perception/position)and others on this Fine Forum...I'm sure would not agree. But pull up a cup of coffee or hot tea or A Mike's or whatever is your pleasure and hang out when you feel like it. We have fun, tease each other and.....pssssst.....some of us are actually guys!!!

Take it easy.....Leo

Old 9 January 2013, 03:04 PM   #14999
Lion
"TRF" Member

Carl, I love your watches and know you have fun choosing which one to wear on any given day.....I too have a few more watches but most of them are pocket watches. I have my Great Grandfather's solid gold Hunter's Case Waltham pocket watch from about 1903 or 1904 and have around twenty more pocket watches that are either Hamilton Railroad watches or the Illinois pocket watch brand which were made in Springfield, Illinois.

Lisa, I really like your Omega watch, I will have to take pictures of the Diamond rings to post and no.....I am sorry but I do not have any other Hearts On Fire diamonds which are a carat or more. Or for that matter any old Hearts On Fire diamonds laying around. I do have at least one spare stud but it is only a .25 carat in size and the quality is not as good!!!

Take it easy.....Leo

Old 9 January 2013, 10:10 PM   #15000
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As for being offensive.....I do assume you take a shower everyday and clean up. or do you subscribe to the one shower a month club??? LOL!!!
I'd gladly recommend him two a day, seems like it wouldn't do him any harm to get a mind's clean up more often!

Quote:
mikkibarry, hi...welcome to The Girl's Coffeeshop Talk.....where the best of us hang out(actually that is just my perception/position)and others on this Fine Forum...I'm sure would not agree. But pull up a cup of coffee or hot tea or A Mike's or whatever is your pleasure and hang out when you feel like it. We have fun, tease each other and.....pssssst.....some of us are actually guys!!!

Take it easy.....Leo
Guys!? In this place!? Where and why!?

...Surely it can't be our jewelry enthusiasts selves Leo!

In all seriousness, I consider the men and the women who hang out here good friends of mine! Given how friendly people are on this forum anyway, it gives you an idea of how this place is great!

Quote:
Carl, I love your watches and know you have fun choosing which one to wear on any given day.....I too have a few more watches but most of them are pocket watches. I have my Great Grandfather's solid gold Hunter's Case Waltham pocket watch from about 1903 or 1904 and have around twenty more pocket watches that are either Hamilton Railroad watches or the Illinois pocket watch brand which were made in Springfield, Illinois.
Thank you kindly Leo, I find great pleasure in hunting those watches when I buy them as well as when I need to decide which one to wear!

P.S.: I'd love to see your pocket watches, especially your grandfather's one!

- André Fortin