The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 March 2020, 03:51 PM   #1
axs186
"TRF" Member

3rd party service expectations

I picked up a 2nd hand Project X Designs Submariner (approx. 2010 manufacture date) It's been customized, DLC coated, and obviously can't go back to Rolex. I took it for service last July with a local watchmaker who is well respected and said he uses all genuine parts. I just got a timegrapher and it was losing time randomly based on position (0s/d to -11s/d), the amplitude was average around 230 and beat error around 7.0ms. I took it in and he adjusted it to be maybe closer in keeping time but the beat error and amplitude are still way off from what I would expect.

General questions: I've seen that amplitude should be 270-310 and beat error near 0 after service. Do you expect the same results when going to a non-RSC? How consistent are the various positions when measuring a recently serviced watch? Roughly how much would a 10yo movement amplitude and beat error change in 8 months?

My situation: Service was $500 last July with no charge to readjust. Am I being too picky because I have more data now, should I write it off as a lesson learned not to go to him and expect to pay more elsewhere, or should I go farther and ask for money back since he doesn't seemed to have achieved the results that a full service can?

All thoughts are appreciated.
axs186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 09:49 PM   #2
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
You have to look at several factors here. Beat error can be affected by a watch movement that is in a case and sometimes give false readings. Amplitude will vary depending on the position of the watch, how wound the mainsprings is, etc.

When is watchmakers are servicing a watch, we know how to use a timing machine. We know all 5 positions it needs to go in, over what status of winding to check.

I will give you the same advice I give everyone. How is the watch running? Once you’ve answered that, I’d tell you to stop playing with things you don’t understand and enjoy your watch.
Ashton_Horologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 09:52 PM   #3
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
I will add that if the watch is behaving very erratically, bad time keeping, low power reserve, etc. Then you have a problem.
Ashton_Horologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 06:42 AM   #4
axs186
"TRF" Member

Ashton - thanks for the response. I believe your advice is the most logical and safest for me and my watch.

I did buy the watch because I love how it looks but I also like that it has a great movement operating it. I got a time grapher so I could be better informed on the health of the movements in my watches and be a more informed consumer... and maybe learn from some hands on experience with cheaper movements. So that being said and accepting your advice - Are poor timing or power reserve the only factors you look at for determining when to service a movement? Also, is there any damage that can be caused if the beat error truly is ~ 7ms or by running at a lower amplitude than intended?
axs186 is offline   Reply With Quote