The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 January 2020, 07:09 AM   #1
Snap2218
"TRF" Member

1984 Submariner Date - maintenance/repair charge

Hello, I have a 1984 submariner date; I’ve owned it since new. Recently I took it to my local dealer for service and the estimate from Rolex came back at 2400.00. The charge includes maintenance, crown, crystal, hands, dial, disc for bezel, clasp, and a link. Is this a reasonable price? Is it worth lying this much for this watch? Thank you!
Snap2218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 07:21 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
We can't answer for you.

A Rolex estimate should have required items, and recommended items, and is itemized with cost break-down.

You do not need to agree to the recommended actions, only the required ones.

Generally, dial and hands are what makes a watch valuable and most will take measures to ensure these are kept, or repaired, which RSC does not do.

The items that you cite do not seem to add up to the dollar amount quoted.
Old 26 January 2020, 07:35 AM   #3
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap2218 View Post
Hello, I have a 1984 submariner date; I’ve owned it since new. Recently I took it to my local dealer for service and the estimate from Rolex came back at 2400.00. The charge includes maintenance, crown, crystal, hands, dial, disc for bezel, clasp, and a link. Is this a reasonable price? Is it worth lying this much for this watch? Thank you!
How dire are the hands, dial, and insert?? I can imagine that while they’re not brand new-looking, they’re probably taking on some nice aging by this point
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 07:47 AM   #4
Snap2218
"TRF" Member

The dial and hands are in very good shape, no cracks that I can see. The bezel has very little scratching, but it does have some play. In your opinion, would replacing the original parts with newer ones (non-tritium), especially, the dial and hands, detract from the value of the watch? Thanks for your help
Old 26 January 2020, 08:00 AM   #5
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
The dial and hands are in very good shape, no cracks that I can see. The bezel has very little scratching, but it does have some play. In your opinion, would replacing the original parts with newer ones (non-tritium), especially, the dial and hands, detract from the value of the watch? Thanks for your help
YES IT WOULD.

Please don't replace them.
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 08:39 AM   #6
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Would replacing the original parts with newer ones (non-tritium), especially, the dial and hands, detract from the value of the watch?
Significantly so. It's good that you checked, as this would tank the value.

The general feeling in the collector community is that all-original watches that haven't been overpolished are more desirable. Rolex, on the other hand, will try to make your watch new again by swapping old parts for new ones. They don't recognize vintage value.

Request only a movement service and, if you want it, a light polish (although if it's unpolished, polishing it will also negatively affect the value). If Rolex refuse to do that, take it to an independent servicer who's sympathetic to vintage pieces. The community here knows the trustworthy independents in the USA - just ask if you need a recommendation.

Keep it original.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 10:20 AM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
In your opinion, would replacing the original parts with newer ones (non-tritium), especially, the dial and hands, detract from the value of the watch? Thanks for your help
Of course, photos would be welcome so that we can judge the current condition. But if the watch is in solid condition as you say, then yes, the value would take a big hit, especially from the dial and hands, and to a lesser but still significant extent the bezel insert, clasp, and even the crystal. Of course, if any of those parts are in absolutely terrible condition, then the equation changes a bit.
Old 27 January 2020, 01:34 AM   #8
Snap2218
"TRF" Member

The watch is currently with Rolex, no pictures available. I’m inclined to get the movement service, the crystal (small nick on it), and the clasp (stretched) replaced. But from what I have read on this forum, Rolex will not service the watch unless you agree to replace the tritium parts, is this true? Thanks for all the information.
Old 27 January 2020, 02:12 AM   #9
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I would say decline the service, pick up the watch and send it to Phillip Ridley. He keeps the collectors value in mind while servicing the watch and only replacing necessary parts.
Old 27 January 2020, 02:52 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
The watch is currently with Rolex, no pictures available. I’m inclined to get the movement service, the crystal (small nick on it), and the clasp (stretched) replaced. But from what I have read on this forum, Rolex will not service the watch unless you agree to replace the tritium parts, is this true? Thanks for all the information.
No, this is not true.

I believe that you are dealing with your AD, not Rolex.

Rolex always provides an itemized list of what they require, and the costs; ask to see it.
Old 27 January 2020, 03:02 AM   #11
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Service the movement, change the glass and the clasp (if its not safe to wear).
Do not replace anything else.

They are probably offering you a polish in this estimate. Tell them not to polish.
Old 27 January 2020, 09:29 AM   #12
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
No, this is not true.

Rolex always provides an itemized list of what they require, and the costs; ask to see it.
It varies from AD to AD and from RSC to RSC. At the RSC here in Japan, everything on the quote is compulsory; you either agree to it all or they won't do the service.

There doesn't seem to be much consistency for a company that's so notoriously strict with its customers...
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 07:39 PM   #13
athom
"TRF" Member

Please do not change any original part except the gaskets...don't bath with it and keep the crown and the rest. Ask only to have the movement serviced and enjoy wearing it like that. It will destroy the value and the charm of your watch...and pelase send pics
athom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 10:06 PM   #14
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
No, this is not true.

Bingo. In my opinion the better approach is to send your watch directly to Rolex. And deal with Rolex directly. The middleman is fogging the issues.
Old 30 January 2020, 11:27 AM   #15
Snap2218
"TRF" Member

Hello, I received the detailed quote:
interior overhaul - 750.00
Crown and gasket - 46.00
Sapphire crystal - 133.00
Dial 16808 - 420.00
Hands - 64.00
Seconds hand - 25.00
Bezel insert - 40.00
Clasp - 460.00
Clasp blades assembled - 410.00

I asked to do the overhaul, crown, crystal, clasp, and blades. No polish. Dealer contacting RSC to see if they can only do those. I hope they can just do those, if not, it is just going back to the safe box.
Old 30 January 2020, 01:19 PM   #16
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Clasp blades assembled - $410.

??!! 5 minute job for an apprentice.
Old 30 January 2020, 08:48 PM   #17
athom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Crown and gasket - 46.00
Dial 16808 - 420.00
Hands - 64.00
Seconds hand - 25.00
Bezel insert - 40.00
Clasp - 460.00

I asked to do the overhaul, crown, crystal, clasp, and blades. No polish. Dealer contacting RSC to see if they can only do those. I hope they can just do those, if not, it is just going back to the safe box.
Prices are very very high imo...I'd have the movement serviced and the gaskets changed, that's all. What is wrong with the clasp ? If something is wrong, I'd try to find the same part on internet and have it installed by an independent watchmaker instead of having service parts that prevent me to have eberything original, which means decreasing the rarity and the value of my vintage watch...

Just my 2 cents
athom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2020, 09:20 PM   #18
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
Crown and gasket - 46.00
Dial 16808 - 420.00
Hands - 64.00
Seconds hand - 25.00
Bezel insert - 40.00
Clasp - 460.00

Would make the same call. Specifically say that they shouldn't touch dial, hands and insert.
Old 30 January 2020, 09:29 PM   #19
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Quote:

Please post a decent picture. Use the tapatalk app if it helps to upload a photo or two.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 06:39 AM   #20
cpefy3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014, 16600
Quote:
Crown and gasket - 46.00
Dial 16808 - 420.00
Hands - 64.00
Seconds hand - 25.00
Bezel insert - 40.00
Clasp - 460.00

I, personally, wouldn't have them do the clasp. If they change the clasp it will no longer have the correct date code that matches your watch. I would instead send your watch band to be serviced at either Rolliworks or Michael Young. You could even send the whole watch to be serviced and band restored at one time at Rolliworks. Best of Luck!!
cpefy3 is offline   Reply With Quote