The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 29 January 2020, 12:18 AM   #1
daveycrawford
"TRF" Member

1680 Red sub 73 Mk4 with Full Rolex Service

Hi all
I have a question
Regarding vintage watches and originality/full sets/provenance and authenticity etc. The worries that come when buying vintage pieces.

I have recently received back from Rolex Switzerland my 1973 Red Sub Mk4
It had a full mechanical service with NO parts replaced externally/visualy I.E all original dial/hands/datewheel/bezelcrown etc
When it returned the watch was now running to the correct specs etc but now has a Rolex booklet & Rolex plastic coated service card with date of service and serial numbers etc and a letter etc
So in the absence of the original punched papers does this increase the value that Rolex have serviced and checked all parts for originality? (They found an aftermarket link in the bracelet!!) all other parts confirmed original, of course they recommend changing out as they cannot guarantee vintage parts for longevity.
Anyone have any opinions on this?
daveycrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2020, 12:33 AM   #2
watchlovr
"TRF" Member

No.
Makes it easier to sell.
Pity they don’t mention single red on the invoice.
watchlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2020, 01:33 AM   #3
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Value gone up by cost of service. etc
Old 29 January 2020, 01:37 AM   #4
daveycrawford
"TRF" Member

Much appreciated

Thanks for the replies.
Much appreciated.
Just thought it may improve somethings like saleability etc as Rolex themselves have checked the watch out/serviced it/gave a guarantee card etc therefore taking some of the guess work out for non Rolex experts looking to get into vintage.

Old 29 January 2020, 01:40 AM   #5
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Let's see some pics. etc
Old 29 January 2020, 01:43 AM   #6
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
They probably polished it, unless you told them not to. That could be a down side. Having the movement properly serviced is a bonus though. Any photos?
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2020, 02:34 AM   #7
daveycrawford
"TRF" Member

Polished

Good point
No polishing at all was conducted
The movement was only serviced and the case cleaned out
No polishing in any way happened - all battle scars remain- much as Rolex wanted too
I had to do a lot of communication in order for Rolex to know nothing was to be altered from the state it went in. I will work out the pics but they need to be posted using a resize app?
If anyone wants to see the watch and the service card/booklet etc its on Instagram
uk_davey_vintagewatches
have a look and you will see the post (I have obviously covered the serial number) The top hat etc are all still scratched not even a lick of polish
Old 29 January 2020, 06:26 AM   #8
colpol
"TRF" Member

Just had a look at your Instagram pics - v nice

Looking at getting a 1680 (white) serviced myself shortly - hope you don’t mind a few questions as not made up my mind on RSC or independent

Why rolex Switzerland & not Rolex St James (realise shut at the moment for another month or so)
Did you drop watch off in person or use international courier ?
Was contact / instructions done via telephone or email ? Just thinking how everything was put down so no ambiguity about what was to be done & more importantly not done
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 01:18 AM   #9
daveycrawford
"TRF" Member

Just had a look at your Instagram pics - v nice

Looking at getting a 1680 (white) serviced myself shortly - hope you don’t mind a few questions as not made up my mind on RSC or independent

Why rolex Switzerland & not Rolex St James (realise shut at the moment for another month or so)

My Answer:
Ok it was not Rolex UK. I have a great relationship with my AD. they sent it with my instructions to Rolex UK (St James) who then sent it onto Switzerland
They agreed to my very explicit instructions that nothing at all was to be swapped only the movement serviced. Nothing cleaned or polished at all

Did you drop watch off in person or use international courier ?

My Answer:
I dropped it in at my AD who filled in the forms with my instructions and we confirmed them together so nothing would happen without my authorisation.

Was contact / instructions done via telephone or email ? Just thinking how everything was put down so no ambiguity about what was to be done & more importantly not done

My Answer:
The AD confirmed at various stages what had happened and what was needed and what I wanted to do about it before anything was carried out. Rolex were very patient and I am totally thrilled at the result. It has proved the provenance as far as possible and is on Rolex database with full warranty cards/receipts etc as stated they even found an aftermarket link in my bracelet!!!
Very thorough and not a lot of cash either
Great service. Trying to get my DRSD done next
Old 9 February 2020, 09:03 PM   #10
colpol
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the reply / update

I’d settled on an independent & was going to reach out later this month but now you’ve got me back at square one swithering on RSC or independent again ;.)
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2020, 11:03 PM   #11
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Rolex St James did a great job on my 16660 matt. they left the dial, hands etc untouched, instructions to not polish watch etc. They sent it to their service ctr in Kent.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote