The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 30 October 2020, 02:01 AM   #31
msu_1972
Banned

Watch: Panda, BLNR
no change for me, if i can find the watches i want then i'll buy it without hesitation.
msu_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 02:01 AM   #32
Mifune
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_UKSheffield View Post
Buy buy buy

Money in the bank is probably less secure these days who knows what happens next
it's like holding onto a melting ice cube... stop holding physical cash. Gold or Bitcoin is where you want to be.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 02:15 AM   #33
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

If something comes along that I like, I would go for it.

To me it’s less an economic issue and more of an interest level in the watch.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 02:29 AM   #34
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
it's like holding onto a melting ice cube... stop holding physical cash. Gold or Bitcoin is where you want to be.
Or both.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 03:52 AM   #35
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Keep an eye on the velocity of currency, as it is extraordinarily low (not a good thing). The ECB today (along with US Fed) will keep giving away 'virtually free' currency as fast as they can to keep the bubble inflated.

Ok, maybe crash things at some point yet odds are this won't happen until central banks are ready with their eCoin 'faux currency'.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 05:02 AM   #36
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

I’m a buyer if I get the call for the Pepsi.
Old 30 October 2020, 05:32 AM   #37
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
The wealthy have done exceptionally well during the pandemic and are buying luxury goods in droves. Expect more of the same.

Stock market and economic fluctuations only really affect the working class who don't buy Rolex generally. The pandemic affected working class brand watches much more so; Seiko, Swatch group and such.

I’ll second that

I have bought more watches in the past 6 months than I have in the past 5 years, new Benz, Lamborghini and bike

The industries all around are booming and values will only continue to increase due to upcoming shortages again, factories and production halting ...
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 09:48 AM   #38
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podmornica View Post
Wake me up with the thread - Who's selling now?

Both the watch and stock market crash is long-overdue.
gotta agree, it's not a question at all really.
yes the wealth inequality gap continues to grow and people will always make money.
but i am not even a 10%er. so i am very careful with how i spend, and i have no desire to be a part of this bandwagon.
that being said i added 2 very nice pieces early this year, and now wish i would have bought a few more since i've watched prices jump 10% at least on some models
so yeah, i'm probably going to be waiting quite some time before buying again i imagine
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 10:30 AM   #39
visualplane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
Do you guys think it's a bad time to buy gold now? Should I give a few months or weeks? I never bought gold before but like the idea of stacking some gold. Gold bars or eagle coins better? Thanks
visualplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 10:39 AM   #40
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Not buying a watch because nothing interest me currently.

If there was a blue SS Sub, I would be all over it.

Have a car lined up though.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 10:50 AM   #41
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
I just bought a PAM 1313.

No interest in another Rolex with all the BS/hype/shortage/wait-list, out the backdoor, crazy prices/garbage going on. It has soured my perspective on the brand to which I have been loyal for a long time.

Still have a SS DJ41 Fluted/Jubilee Wimbeldon, but for now, Rolex lost my new watch money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pam1313_Cat_Dett01_2033168.jpg (95.8 KB, 174 views)
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 11:08 AM   #42
bremersm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
So over the last 6 months I posted part 1 and 2, with varied responses. I feel this country (US) and world is now in another dimension. According to reports in the WSJ today some limited lockdowns are ordered across Europe (France and Germany). The US stock market is on track for its worst week since late March of this year. Looks like the Coronavirus is not going away anytime soon.

So is this putting the brakes on your purchasing a new watch. If your AD calls with the watch you want, do you buy or pass for now?
The flu didn't go away either and the economy continues to ebb and flow. I will continue to save money and buy what and when I want. We must not be strangled by fear.
bremersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 08:51 PM   #43
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Buying! Just bought two pieces this past week.

Life will continue despite everything you hear in the news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 October 2020, 09:00 PM   #44
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

So is this putting the brakes on your purchasing a new watch. If your AD calls with the watch you want, do you buy or pass for now?
There are no watches available that I want to buy.

As far as buying we have been spending more money this year than in the past five years
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 09:08 PM   #45
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
The economy hasn't largely impacted me thankfully. At least not yet. As a result buying habits on all things remain the same except one. I dine in at restuarants only on vacation. No more locally.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 06:43 AM   #46
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I sold most of my watches but wouldn’t hesitate to buy if something popped up I want.

Right now I’m more interested in a lake house.
Old 31 October 2020, 07:24 AM   #47
Orangejoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So over the last 6 months I posted part 1 and 2, with varied responses. I feel this country (US) and world is now in another dimension. According to reports in the WSJ today some limited lockdowns are ordered across Europe (France and Germany). The US stock market is on track for its worst week since late March of this year. Looks like the Coronavirus is not going away anytime soon.

This is a good question for discussion but answers without some context are difficult to judge.

I, for example, "work for a living".

I'm not on a list for anything right now at my local AD as I have some other goals for 2021 and dropping 5 figures in a watch now -at my income/net worth level- would be a distraction.

The Covid situation reinforces that decision.

Edit: If Rolex announced a LE alum bezel Sub reissue, my answer might change.

Some posters here have a "go to heck fund" aka are financially independent, and dropping $100K in watches is relief from boredom.

Others have low net worth but higher incomes and a Sub or two really won't make a difference by the end of the month.

We might all be taking the same variables into consideration but they are weighted differently for everyone.
Old 31 October 2020, 07:30 AM   #48
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Quote:

Surely has political connotations in a round about "DIG" way..! Even with all your reports posted people are buying and spending like ever before. So who do we blame that on..? With all this doom and gloom rhetoric, luxury good to include watches etc and selling quite well it appears.. Possibly in "PartIV" things could go belly up and south..?
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 09:24 AM   #49
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Slow down? Not here as this arrived and lovin' it. Sooo lightweight, so thin, sooooo comfy to wear.

Bvlgari Octo....

123011528_1982192038583834_2410311418472341716_n.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 10:05 AM   #50
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Slow down? Not here as this arrived and lovin' it. Sooo lightweight, so thin, sooooo comfy to wear.

Bvlgari Octo....

Attachment 1181022
Amazing!!!!
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 11:22 AM   #51
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Picked up three pieces since May: 15500OR, 15407ST, and a 15202ST last week. Not going out of my way to chase any watches but as the opportunities have presented themselves I’ve definitely taken them.
Old 3 November 2020, 11:28 AM   #52
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post
Picked up three pieces since May: 15500OR, 15407ST, and a 15202ST last week. Not going out of my way to chase any watches but as the opportunities have presented themselves I’ve definitely taken them.
between the 15500OR and 15407 i think i'd find it hard coming up with a reason to wear anything else lol
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2020, 07:43 AM   #53
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
Surely has political connotations in a round about "DIG" way..! Even with all your reports posted people are buying and spending like ever before. So who do we blame that on..? With all this doom and gloom rhetoric, luxury good to include watches etc and selling quite well it appears.. Possibly in "PartIV" things could go belly up and south..?
Huh?
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2020, 06:56 PM   #54
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

The most important and precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value not even for watches.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2020, 10:10 PM   #55
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Trying to, a mere Explorer. Easier said than done it seems.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote