The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 31 March 2014, 07:30 AM   #1
RBK79
"TRF" Member

16750 vs. 1675 Questions

Hi All,

I have been on the hunt for a while for a matte dial Pepsi 16750 with yellow patina tritium markers. I've unfortunately not come across the right one yet. So my questions:

1. What is the price differential for a high quality 1675 matte dial vs. a 16750?

2. For those that have owned these, should I stick to my guns on finding a quick-date 16750?

3. If I find a 16750, should I let a jubilee bracelet be a deal-breaker? Or it is fairly easy to get a period correct oyster?

4. Where is the best place to find one of these? I scour the FS thread and Ebay but haven't found the right one.

Would appreciate all your thoughts.
RBK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2014, 08:06 AM   #2
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
I've seen a few the past year that were sold here on the forum. Nice, matte-dialed 16750s, especially those with patined dials, are not easy to find - therefore the premium price.

I'm sure you are aware of the differences between the 1675 and 16750 GMTs, so without going there again, I believe a lot is based on personal preference. Some prefer the quick-set date feature of the 16750 and some do not. Some prefer the older, more vintage GMT 1675s to the newer 16750s. There were many more 1675s made than the 16750 matte GMTs.

Bracelet preference is also based on personal tastes, but it appears that a greater majority of collectors prefer the Oyster over the Jubilee bracelet - neither of which appears to be deal breakers in a purchase.

Below is a 1981 GMT 16750 and a 1974 radial GMT 1675.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1554.sm.jpg (91.4 KB, 699 views)
File Type: jpg Img_2683.modif.small.jpg (72.8 KB, 697 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2014, 09:00 AM   #3
skprd13
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675-1680-16750
Beautiful watches John! Love my 16750's with a beautiful patina!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (131.9 KB, 695 views)
skprd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2014, 09:33 AM   #4
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBK79 View Post
Hi All,

I have been on the hunt for a while for a matte dial Pepsi 16750 with yellow patina tritium markers. I've unfortunately not come across the right one yet. So my questions:

1. What is the price differential for a high quality 1675 matte dial vs. a 16750?

2. For those that have owned these, should I stick to my guns on finding a quick-date 16750?

3. If I find a 16750, should I let a jubilee bracelet be a deal-breaker? Or it is fairly easy to get a period correct oyster?

4. Where is the best place to find one of these? I scour the FS thread and Ebay but haven't found the right one.

Would appreciate all your thoughts.
As somebody who has owned 100's of these 2 references over the years and who's favorite watch is a 16750 ill give you my thoughts.
1. On a matte dial 1675 vs a 16750 all even i put a premium on the 16750 around $500-$1000 based on recent pricing.
2. Buy what you like forget what others say.
3. I would not let any part of a watch be a deal breaker i would just factor the cost of this part and the time involved to correct it.
4. I have sold no less than 15 of these in the last year all mint crisp examples and have seen dozens of others offered and sold. It has been my personal experience that any watch no matter how rare it is can be found and bought almost instantly if the buyer is willing to pay the current mkt price or a slight premium for it.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2014, 10:07 AM   #5
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I've seen a few the past year that were sold here on the forum. Nice, matte-dialed 16750s, especially those with patined dials, are not easy to find - therefore the premium price.

I'm sure you are aware of the differences between the 1675 and 16750 GMTs, so without going there again, I believe a lot is based on personal preference. Some prefer the quick-set date feature of the 16750 and some do not. Some prefer the older, more vintage GMT 1675s to the newer 16750s. There were many more 1675s made than the 16750 matte GMTs.

Bracelet preference is also based on personal tastes, but it appears that a greater majority of collectors prefer the Oyster over the Jubilee bracelet - neither of which appears to be deal breakers in a purchase.

John it looks like you have cornered the market on the Gmts with dark patina. That Radial dial is stunning.
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2014, 10:16 AM   #6
mike
"TRF" Member

John and Nickos have given you the best advice. Perhaps the only thing I might add is to ask yourself if you would perfer the 15xx movement to the newer fast beat 3xxx movement.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2014, 11:12 AM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
As somebody who has owned 100's of these 2 references over the years and who's favorite watch is a 16750 ill give you my thoughts.
1. On a matte dial 1675 vs a 16750 all even i put a premium on the 16750 around $500-$1000 based on recent pricing.
3. I would not let any part of a watch be a deal breaker i would just factor the cost of this part and the time involved to correct it.
4. I have sold no less than 15 of these in the last year all mint crisp examples and have seen dozens of others offered and sold. It has been my personal experience that any watch no matter how rare it is can be found and bought almost instantly if the buyer is willing to pay the current mkt price or a slight premium for it.

Well put Nick. Point #4 seems to be the stumbling block for many buyers.

Buying at market price is the key. Too many guys are looking for "deals" and missing some very nice watches. I too, have owned dozens of vintage GMTs with only a handful of those having the darker patina as described in the original post. They do not come up for sale very often.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 31 March 2014, 11:28 AM   #8
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
[/I][/B]

Well put Nick. Point #4 seems to be the stumbling block for many buyers.

Buying at market price is the key. Too many guys are looking for "deals" and missing some very nice watches. I too, have owned dozens of vintage GMTs with only a handful of those having the darker patina as described in the original post.

thats exactly right John. You get what you pay for. While i do look for deals and have got lucky in the past when it came to buying my Red i paid a fair market value so i could find the nicest example possible. this pays off in multiple ways in the future.
Old 31 March 2014, 11:33 AM   #9
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skprd13 View Post
Thanks Tom. Yours are very nice too...and I love that photo...

Old 1 April 2014, 05:17 AM   #10
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by skprd13 View Post
Tom, you have broken TRF rules by owning 2 such beautiful watches of the same reference number. Please send me your least favorite (if you can figure that out) and I will take care of any necessary arrangements (placing it my safe). I guess this saves you some bracelet changing time from the oyster to the jubillee. Why didn't I think of that.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2014, 11:53 AM   #11
EEParker
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Any idea which is rarer, a 1675 Radial dial or a matte dial 16750?
EEParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2014, 01:01 PM   #12
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEParker View Post
Any idea which is rarer, a 1675 Radial dial or a matte dial 16750?
Radial dial for sure.
Old 14 May 2014, 01:17 PM   #13
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

16750 is much more user friendly for a person who wears more than one watch because of the quickset date.

The 3075 calibre is a wonderful movement and is a more consistent time keeper than a 1575 GMT or 1565 GMT.

The weak point of the 3075 is the winding bridge. The intermediate wheel post wears badly when they are run dry and it cannot be repaired. The bridge must be replaced.

It's not an easy part to come by in the wild.

In the US...I'm not sure presently if account holders can even order the part exchange or whether the entire watch has to be sent to RSC for service.

The watch will work okay even with the worn post...but manual winding is stiff and grindy. Something to check when you are looking at a potential 16750. Manually wind it...if it's tough to wind or "crunchy", know that you likely have some wear and are going to need a bridge and take that in to consideration.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2014, 05:08 AM   #14
MaxCargo
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
16750 is much more user friendly for a person who wears more than one watch because of the quickset date.

The 3075 calibre is a wonderful movement and is a more consistent time keeper than a 1575 GMT or 1565 GMT.

The weak point of the 3075 is the winding bridge. The intermediate wheel post wears badly when they are run dry and it cannot be repaired. The bridge must be replaced.

In the US...I'm not sure presently if account holders can even order the part exchange or whether the entire watch has to be sent to RSC for service.

The watch will work okay even with the worn post...but manual winding is stiff and grindy. Something to check when you are looking at a potential 16750. Manually wind it...if it's tough to wind or "crunchy", know that you likely have some wear and are going to need a bridge and take that in to consideration.

Good to know!!!!
MaxCargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2014, 02:13 PM   #15
The_Walrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post

Great insight....
The_Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2014, 02:34 PM   #16
Gibson45
"TRF" Member

what is the going rate on a nice example with nice patina?
Gibson45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2014, 03:55 PM   #17
skprd13
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675-1680-16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanddds View Post
Tom, you have broken TRF rules by owning 2 such beautiful watches of the same reference number. Please send me your least favorite (if you can figure that out) and I will take care of any necessary arrangements (placing it my safe). I guess this saves you some bracelet changing time from the oyster to the jubillee. Why didn't I think of that.
LOL to you sir! Hmmm hard to pick jubilee or oyster! Thanks my friend!
skprd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2014, 04:11 PM   #18
3inst3in
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post

I can't agree more with number 2. I was in the decision making process the OP was in not too long ago. I had a choice between a 1675 with box and papers or a 16750. I originally chose the 1675, but the 16750 really sung to me. I decided to go with my heart vs things like resale value and went with the 16750. You'll make the right choice! GO with your gut!
3inst3in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2014, 01:27 AM   #19
shane0mack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800 (1981)
Already thorough answers on just about every question. I'll just add that the jubilee on a 1675 or 16750 just looks right. I didn't like the jubilee at first, but it has totally grown on me the more I see them.
shane0mack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1675 , 16750 , gmt 1675 , gmt 16750 , pepsi