The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 August 2013, 06:38 AM   #1
ghosteh
"TRF" Member

Watch: pepsi 16750
16750 GMT question

After researching the 16750, I've only ended up more confused than ever.
First, I have a watch that is serial# 835XXXX, which seems to make it a 1985 (or '84... not sure). Selling date was 1986, so it has to be earlier than that.

It appears to have a matte dial with yellow-gold indexes. All the photos I've seen ofseem to use white-gold indexes, except dials on the gold version GMTs.

I know there were several dial variants (Mk1, Mk2, glossy, matte, etc) in the early-mid 1980's, and that's what is confusing.

The watch was serviced once, and not by RSC, so I initially doubted that the dial had been changed. At least there was no mention of it when the servicing was done. The watch was purchased by my dad in '90, with all records, and to our knowledge, he's the only one to have it serviced... and just that once.

So my question is: Is the dial original to the watch?

(I swear, I've tried to find the answer using the reference section and "search" functions, but the only thread I found seems to have all the photos missing.)
ghosteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2013, 06:43 AM   #2
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Those pics are pretty dark, but it looks like a great dial with nice patina (yellowing of Tritium). I don't think it's matte, maybe just dulled a little over time. Probably original - hard to be sure, but based on what you have said. Nice watch!
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2013, 07:09 AM   #3
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The markers around the plots should be white gold. The dial should be glossy not matte - but in time the gloss can wear down and appear matte. What I think is happening with the color is the plots are so yellowed that they are reflecting onto the markers making them appear to be gold-colored instead of silver.

Also, the dial is not from a 16753 two-tone model GMT because the printing would be gold-colored instead of white as found on your dial.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2013, 07:25 AM   #4
Billywiz
Banned

Watch: YG President
Cannot really tell as photo's a little dark.
Billywiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2013, 12:07 PM   #5
John in MA
"TRF" Member

Those first gloss WG surround dials would do 1 of 3 things from my experience:

1. Nothing. Just like a later gloss WG dial
2. Crackle. Just a damaged dial but what some dealers call "spider web" dial in an attempt to sell them for more money. Happened due to the reaction of the gloss coat to the base paint.
3. Dull over time to look matte. Similar process as what will happen to a clearcoat on your car if you don't wash it or wax it and it sits in the sun for a lot of years. The clearcoat dulls resulting in an even matte sheen to what was once a gloss finish.

How To: Remove a Tudor Pelagos Endlink in 60 Seconds or Less
John in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2013, 01:58 PM   #6
ghosteh
"TRF" Member

I'll try to take some photos in brighter light. Totally confusing to me, since I have no others to compare it to, but that dial sure looks matte. The "no wax" on the car explanation seems plausible.

Yes, the tritium is yellowed quite a bit, and has no glow left. The reflection off it could be what I'm seeing.

I hate getting older. Even my eyes are lying to me now. Haha!
Old 17 August 2013, 02:08 PM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosteh View Post
I'll try to take some photos in brighter light. Totally confusing to me, since I have no others to compare it to, but that dial sure looks matte. The "no wax" on the car explanation seems plausible.

Yes, the tritium is yellowed quite a bit, and has no glow left. The reflection off it could be what I'm seeing.

I hate getting older. Even my eyes are lying to me now. Haha!
It is very common for these dials to look matte or "flat" and based on your photos, your gloss dial is now more of a matte finish than glossy. I've owned several of these 16750 GMT's in the past where the dial appeared more matte than glossy. Also, for what it's worth, your makers look silver in some photos and gold in others. The dial appears 100% original therefore I have no doubt that they are silver colored.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2013, 09:01 AM   #8
ghosteh
"TRF" Member

Yup, you are correct Springer. In the daylight, I can see that they are, although it really is difficult to tell because of the yellowing. As for the dial, I'm ok with it being matte now. It looks more vintage anyway.

It's interesting to see how these things weather and develop patina over the years. I guess that's how they gain their individual personalities.