The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 30 June 2020, 06:32 AM   #61
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Skip them and get a Porsche.
Old 30 June 2020, 01:49 PM   #62
kirksingleton
"TRF" Member

Porsche is always the correct answer!
kirksingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 04:14 AM   #63
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
I was a big older M guy however over the past 7-8 years Benz has stole my heart...

I just bought GLE 350, interior is out of this world and infotainment, feels like a car double its price imo interior wise

Also have amg gtr, s550 cabriolet and have had 4 other new mercedes since 2013...

The GTR is in another universe from anything BMW can produce performance wise

I also think mercedes interior is off the charts for me personally, BMW has become more advanced obviously but still looks so dated imo

And for those saying Porsche ehhhhh, look at my TRF name lol.... while my RUF GT2 is in the handful of best drivers cars/Porsches ever, new porsches are a snooze fest for me

In my garage its been lambo and benz for the past 5 years,
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 04:58 AM   #64
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
If I hated money enough to go back to a German car, I’d lease a Audi or Benz. BMW’s lost their mojo long ago.

And btw.....I’d love to get the wife an e63s wagon.....but again.....I love my money.
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 05:00 AM   #65
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Mercedes.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 06:01 AM   #66
Uggi
Banned

The one current BMW which excites me is the M2. It's the only true M car they still make. I've not owned one (yet) but I have driven one and they are a truly great drive in the corners. Interior is meh though.
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 11:24 AM   #67
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Lexus

But if I had to choose from your list it would be the 3-Series. I've had E36, E46 and E90 versions - the E90 was a reliability nightmare, the worst car I ever owned. I've also had bad experiences with Audi and MB, gave up on the Germans a few years ago.
Old 1 July 2020, 12:30 PM   #68
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
They may be doing better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Lexus

But if I had to choose from your list it would be the 3-Series. I've had E36, E46 and E90 versions - the E90 was a reliability nightmare, the worst car I ever owned. I've also had bad experiences with Audi and MB, gave up on the Germans a few years ago.
My 2018 Audi A4 is only in year two, but not a thing wrong yet. Hope I didn’t give myself the whammy.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 01:01 PM   #69
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
My 2018 Audi A4 is only in year two, but not a thing wrong yet. Hope I didn’t give myself the whammy.
I do like some of the RS and RS Q models, so maybe if the right deal comes up in the future... Good luck with your A4
I guess people have good/bad experiences with almost all brands. I used to place driving pleasure above all other considerations, but these days keeping things as hassle-free as possible is the priority.
Old 1 July 2020, 01:30 PM   #70
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
None of the above and follow all traffic laws.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 03:12 PM   #71
newenglandpatriot
"TRF" Member

I used to work for benz. Dont EVER buy one when they come out with a first year model. Clocks dont tell correct time, catalytic converters splitting at the weld seam, fly by wire shifter failures. Bmw are ok, but they do not hold up with age. I was on the autobahn when there was a bad accident and it was closed for 3 hours. Saw the CL class when it first came out and it was unbadged. Spoke to the driver because he had Mercedes clothing on, and ask him what ever happened to quality. He had worked for them for 30 years and he explained it like this. The used to test the cars for a full year before selling it, and the no longer do that. They design it, make it and ship it. So the dealer has to figure it out which they usually cant they the factory send a rep to attempt to fix it. Old Mercedes engines were so precisely machined that they didnt even use head gaskets.
newenglandpatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 03:54 PM   #72
Kigan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blancpain AC01
BMW 3-series.
Old 2 July 2020, 02:30 AM   #73
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandpatriot View Post
I used to work for benz. Dont EVER buy one when they come out with a first year model. Clocks dont tell correct time, catalytic converters splitting at the weld seam, fly by wire shifter failures. Bmw are ok, but they do not hold up with age. I was on the autobahn when there was a bad accident and it was closed for 3 hours. Saw the CL class when it first came out and it was unbadged. Spoke to the driver because he had Mercedes clothing on, and ask him what ever happened to quality. He had worked for them for 30 years and he explained it like this. The used to test the cars for a full year before selling it, and the no longer do that. They design it, make it and ship it. So the dealer has to figure it out which they usually cant they the factory send a rep to attempt to fix it. Old Mercedes engines were so precisely machined that they didnt even use head gaskets.

BMW and Audi quality has been questionable for quite some time. MB went to hell in the late 90’s. Frankly if the car has a three pointed star and doesn’t look like a windswept brick, don’t buy it.

My MB guy told me the only way to take one home is leased and with all maintenance included. Otherwise don’t touch it.

Reminds me of my last trip to our Land Rover dealer. They asked me if I was gonna trade my Lexus on one. I said “not on your life” and the sales guy said “I wouldn’t either” and followed it up with “we move 90% of our product by leasing to individual’s companies. We rarely ‘sell’ anything.”

Nuff said for this kid.
Old 2 July 2020, 02:49 AM   #74
sasuke
"TRF" Member

Audi RS3 if you like to zoom zoom.
sasuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 03:02 AM   #75
wjrw592
"TRF" Member

Watch: What time is it?
I have owned a couple of Audi's - had good luck with Quatro A6, S5; BMW 3 Series and 6 Series but never owned a Mercedes. I also had a 911 which was great but no place to put anything! lol

My best experience was with my BMW M4 - fast, fun & room for luggage and golf clubs in the trunk. Drive safe!
Old 2 July 2020, 03:05 AM   #76
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
When you drive a German ,you always have a Japanese as back-up, for when the Germans are in for repairs ... You know like Toyota ,Honda etc.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 03:24 AM   #77
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

I would go for an AMG C 63 if you want performance. If you are looking for luxury, I would choose C or A4/5. BMW is a muddled mess in the smaller sedan segment these days, I'd stay away.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 04:16 AM   #78
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I'm fond of my little X3 with its 3 liter twin turbo. It's a great little BMW. I rented the comparable MB last year; the 4 cylinder wasn't as much fun as the BMW 6. There's much to be said about Audi styling except the mark is too close to VW.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 04:25 AM   #79
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Think BMW for everything except when comparing the 7 series be S-Class. The S just does it better. Audi, I find them a bit soulless and confused brand. They are trying too hard to stand above VW, can’t compete with Porsche, Lambo and Bentley. Occasionally are able to brag that they share some parts for the same bin, but that’s the only thing they can really brag about.
Old 2 July 2020, 05:00 AM   #80
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
When you drive a German ,you always have a Japanese as back-up, for when the Germans are in for repairs ... You know like Toyota ,Honda etc.

Old 2 July 2020, 05:42 AM   #81
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
So true.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 05:48 AM   #82
Ballzzz

BMW is my preference, but they are all nice cars. You have to drive it your call big guy!
Old 2 July 2020, 06:48 AM   #83
Marast-66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona View Post
None of the above and follow all traffic laws.

Hahahahahahhaha! Perfect answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marast-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 01:07 AM   #84
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Audi driver, had the same one for a decade without any breakdown.
Exactly what I want from a car.
My previous Mercedes was troubles and rusted like crazy. Never again for me.
BMW has a wrong image in my place.