The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 2 July 2020, 08:35 PM   #1
Tez777
"TRF" Member

FedEx form and importing a bracelet

I'm hoping someone here has had experience of this before.

I got a vintage Tudor bracelet restored by someone in Hong Kong and they have sent it back through FedEx. FedEx have now contacted me asking for the value of it. The restored has put "$20 foe used watch parts", which is a bit naughty and not at all matching the actual description.

Obviously, I don't want to put a knowingly incorrect valuation as it may be picked up by customs and then I could get slapped with a fine.

What would you do? Put an assessment of, say, £500 on the bracelet and leave it at that?

Thanks in advance.
Submariner Date 116610LN | GMT Master II 116710BLNR | DateJust 16200 - silver dial | Explorer II 16570 - polar | Yachtmaster 116622 - blue | Oyster Perpetual 116000 - 3 6 9 blue dial | Explorer 124270 | Submariner 16613-silver serti dial |
Tudor Date Day 94500 - silver |Tudor Black Bay 58 M79030N-0001
Tez777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 08:41 PM   #2
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

You can write what the value is worth but at least in the US, they have what is called “repair and replace”. In this instance if you ship something of your own for repair overseas you can mark that it was shipped for repair and is being returned to its original owner. Otherwise you’ll end up paying Customs duties on a bracelet that was only exported/imported for repair
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 08:52 PM   #3
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Im guessing the reason they want a value is for insurance purposes?

Put whatever figure you want but if the item goes missing & you want to claim on the insurance they will only pay out on the value stated.

Obviously its in your interest to be honest & put the true replacement value otherwise you will be out of pocket.

I can't imagine its for tax reasons as there has been no sale.

You are simply receiving back your own item that has been repaired.

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 08:55 PM   #4
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Just tell FedEx it's an old, used metal bracelet (true), and that you already owned it (true).
Value? 50 quid.
Old 2 July 2020, 09:02 PM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
Im guessing the reason they want a value is for insurance purposes?

Put whatever figure you want but if the item goes missing & you want to claim on the insurance they will only pay out on the value stated.

Obviously its in your interest to be honest & put the true replacement value otherwise you will be out of pocket.

I can't imagine its for tax reasons as there has been no sale.

You are simply receiving back your own item that has been repaired.
This ^^^

OP, I always use the true value of the shipment.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 09:57 PM   #6
Tez777
"TRF" Member

This is the actual email:

Dear Customer,

FedEx Express is carrying your shipment which will be arriving into the UK, (details attached), and will require a valid reason for import for this shipment.

Reason for import must include, but are not limited to, the following:

Why the goods are entering the UK e.g. home use, repair, exhibition, GB returns, etc…;
GB Returns must be within 3 years – evidence of export required
Exhibition – dates, importer EORI, place etc.,
Clear description and tariff heading if available;
Confirmation of fair market value.

Please note: Undervalued items risk seizure or detention by HMRC

Please provide us with your reason for import, via email or Fax using the contact details below. Please ensure you quote your Air Waybill number on any correspondence

An early reply today (by 3.30pm) to this request will help avoid any unnecessary clearance delays. If sending an attachment, please use PDF format.

Shipments not cleared through Customs after a period of 7 working days will be returned to shipper.

Shipments held in our bonded warehouse after two working days are subject to storage charges at a rate of £ 5.00 per package per working day with a minimum charge of £ 10.00

To review all FedEx ancillary clearance service fee, please click http://www.fedex.com/ancillary/go/se...S&wcc=gb&dc=gb

Deferment account: easy solution for your customs duties and VAT. Save time and money with your own deferment account, and no longer pay advancement fees. You can apply for your own deferment by completing the Customs forms online and by providing Customs with a bank guarantee.

https://public-online.hmrc.gov.uk/lc...late=C1200.xdp

We look forward to your response,

The FedEx Clearance Team

It's only the part about possible seizure by HMRC that worries me.
Submariner Date 116610LN | GMT Master II 116710BLNR | DateJust 16200 - silver dial | Explorer II 16570 - polar | Yachtmaster 116622 - blue | Oyster Perpetual 116000 - 3 6 9 blue dial | Explorer 124270 | Submariner 16613-silver serti dial |
Tudor Date Day 94500 - silver |Tudor Black Bay 58 M79030N-0001
Tez777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 05:26 AM   #7
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
You should have filled in a form for a temporary export when you sent it, then you only have to pay VAT on the repair cost when you get it back.

Now you most likely will be charged customs charges and VAT on the full value of the bracelet since in their eyes, you are importing it.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 06:00 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Your bracelet is a repair of a item that you already own, and have previously paid all applicable taxes and duties on.
Old 5 July 2020, 03:44 AM   #9
Mifune
Banned

Fedex doesn't impose these rules arbitrarily... they are set forth by the country/government of import.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote