The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 2 July 2020, 02:51 AM   #1
PepsiMan
"TRF" Member

5227R T stamp cost

What is a 5227R T stamp worth, used, box, no papers 8/10 condition? Buying and selling?
PepsiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 04:30 AM   #2
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

No papers on a modern watch would kill the deal for most collectors, with or without a Tiffany stamp.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 07:05 AM   #3
ts3
"TRF" Member

As far as I have observed the T Stamp doesn't add a lot to a non-hot and non-complicated watch such as a basic Calatrava and I agree that a modern watch w/o box and papers is a problem in itself. Completely different story for the hot pieces of course.

Accidentally Meertz World of Time have a 5127R w T Stamp and box and papers advertised for EUR 19.5k and another 5127R w/o T Stamp and w/o box and papers for EUR 15k, i.e. they value the combined presence of the T Stamp and box and papers at EUR 4.5k. These data points should help you on the 5227R...
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 07:37 AM   #4
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
No papers means it is hard to know if the T stamp is even real. I agree no papers on a modern entry level piece is best avoided unless the watch is priced right. If you sell the papers being missing will really be an issue for you.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 08:26 AM   #5
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

T-stamp is meaningless on most pieces.

Just like how most pieces sell well below retail.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 10:15 AM   #6
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I would at the minimum try to get archive papers for this. Tiffany stamps can be forged even on an authentic watch.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 04:53 AM   #7
PepsiMan
"TRF" Member

Any ballpark ideas on price?
PepsiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 05:53 AM   #8
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiMan View Post
Any ballpark ideas on price?
I was offered a like new 5227R tiffany dial full set for $31k (grey dealer). I've seen the non-T trade around $23-$25k.

Assuming you are 100% comfortable with the watch being authentic, the stamp isn't crooked. Perhaps around $22-$24k? You can get the archives later...
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 06:25 AM   #9
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
T-stamp is meaningless on most pieces.

Just like how most pieces sell well below retail.

Is it? Show us where the T stamp is meaningless. Like on the 5711/5712 for instance where they add considerably to the price. And, what pieces are now selling below retail? Hublot/omega maybe. Patek, ap, and Rolex are all selling at or above MSRP as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 07:24 AM   #10
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Is it? Show us where the T stamp is meaningless. Like on the 5711/5712 for instance where they add considerably to the price. And, what pieces are now selling below retail? Hublot/omega maybe. Patek, ap, and Rolex are all selling at or above MSRP as a whole.

T Stamp does not add much to non-hot, bread and butter Patek, see my example above, where T Stamp plus box and papers combined add a mere 4.5k to a 5127R. Easily half of those 4.5k is box and papers alone, so the T Stamp adds like two grand or around 10% to an automatic Calatrava from 2006.

And yes, lots of Patek drop massively upon leaving the AD. Actually pretty much any non-Nautilus and non-Aquanaut Patek... How about the recently discoed 5170 chronos that were 80 or more and trade in the 50ies (except for the P)? How about pretty much all ACs, PCs, non-enamel WTs etc?
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 12:23 PM   #11
impinth06
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Other than SS sports watch, most PP not just loss value, but quite substantial. My 5146 is like 50% off (cash sell) leaving AD door. Brought it as my first Patek engraved with wedding date, so not a problem for me. Kids won’t hate me either, they will fight each other for my 5970j..
impinth06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 12:50 PM   #12
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, it is meaningless. It only really matters on Nautiluses or Aquanauts (everything else barely adds a few K to the value).

Virtually no Pateks trade above MSRP. Just sports models (Naut + Aqua, regardless of metal type).

Virtually no APs trade above MSRP. Just ROs.

Virtually no Rolexes trade above MSRP. Just the "standard" hot SS models. (Granted, Rolex specializes in this, so they have a higher percentage of references in this bucket vs. AP and Patek.)
Old 4 July 2020, 06:51 PM   #13
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
I have a stencil I can spraypaint on the dial for you for a fee, chances are high that it will be better than Pateks attempt.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 08:15 PM   #14
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
I have a stencil I can spraypaint on the dial for you for a fee, chances are high that it will be better than Pateks attempt.
I believe the T-stamp is applied by Tiffany in their NYC Boutique, not by Patek. That's why the more complicated pieces don't get it, because it requires disassembly.