The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 19 June 2020, 11:50 PM   #1
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Input Appreciated - Vacheron Constantin Perpetual Calendar Overseas

Ever since VCs new perpetual calendar release back in April, I've been heavily waiting to take a leap in to the VC world. (Clearly, not a small leap either.) I have seen members on here speak highly of Vacheron timepieces, and they seem like great value for the price. Obviously, nearly $90k on a watch is by no means small, but if I spent that money on another comparable Swiss watchmaker my money would not go as far.

https://www.vacheron-constantin.com/...120r-b509.html

Currently, my lineup is:

Rolex 116500 (black dial)
Rolex 116508 (would sell and put towards purchase of VC)
Rolex 1680 red mk IV
Rolex 1675 fuschia mk II

I am also next up at my AD to receive an 116610.

I am looking for a watch that is sporty, yet simultaneously elegant. This watch seems to be just that: precious metal, complications, and most of all, the easily interchangeable straps. I want something that I could go from the office to dinner events in, all the while still being able to wear on the weekends form time to time. I know that is hard to accomplish but I feel this watch checks off a lot of these boxes.

It would be appreciated if members would chime in on this reference, VC in general, and how you think this timepiece would fit in to my current collection.
LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2020, 02:39 AM   #2
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

I tried it on few months ago and it’s stunning piece, I particularly loved the thin profile.

If I were you I would also consider the recently released skeletonized perpetual I think retail is around 125k. The overseas tourbillon is really cool piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Collector2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2020, 02:52 AM   #3
wuyangkid
"TRF" Member

Tried it on when I went in to pick up my overseas 4500v and it is incredible. I am amazed how it is even thinner than my simple 3 hander despite having a perpetual calendar movement inside! I'm sure the skeleton version will be even more spectacular if that is the one you have your eye on

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
wuyangkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2020, 03:43 AM   #4
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Buy used for sure. VC tank hard.
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2020, 04:16 AM   #5
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
I've thought about this, but this has not hit the secondary market yet. Official release is September.

Additionally, I really want to build a relationship with an AD that has more than just Rolex, and this would put me in decent standing as a first purchase.

I forgot to mention in the original post I am debating this to the platinum, both in a relative similar price point; however, I would then have three daytonas (ss, yellow gold, and platinum)
Old 20 June 2020, 03:25 PM   #6
Nightdate
"TRF" Member

I would recommend it 100%.
Recently quite biased towards VCs but this particular one just knocks it out of the park. It is a head turner and yet not too loud. Oozes class. The price factor and subsequent secondary market drop obviously something to consider. Especially if you are the impatient type who is always looking to move pieces to balance and get the perfect collection (there is no such thing because it’s never perfect haha). Your collection will benefit from a heavy hitter like this in my opinion.
Nightdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2020, 08:16 PM   #7
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Does it have a seconds hand?
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2020, 08:47 PM   #8
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

This is an amazing watch, tops all the way. I would if I could. So much and so thin.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2020, 09:58 PM   #9
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
A cool watch from a great historical brand. The only way I would buy this watch is with a significant discount, as you will take a beating in the pre-owned market should you decide to flip or sell. In this price range there are many options and I would find a watch that is both desirable and cool for more people. A balance of protecting your money and getting a great watch. A Platinum Daytona at the right price would work better and then you could move on later should you desire without getting crushed. If you want to know what it is worth send a Trusted Seller a note and ask about the trade value. I would believe that only a few would be interested and the number will hurt your feelings.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 12:49 AM   #10
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
This is no longer the case. In years past, yes, but since the new generation of the Overseas line was released, prices have stayed strong on the secondary market, at least for hot models, like the blue-dial versions.

Also, finding used VCs is tough, especially if you’re looking for a specific reference. They just don’t make that many to begin with. Just do a search on Watch Recon. The market is flooded with Rolexes and APs. You rarely see VCs for sale.

I find the styling on most VC references so beautiful, and the finishing and attention to detail is stunning. I find them far more appealing than AP and PP, if we’re comparing the Holy Trinity. But that’s subjective, of course.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 09:32 AM   #11
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
This is no longer the case. In years past, yes, but since the new generation of the Overseas line was released, prices have stayed strong on the secondary market, at least for hot models, like the blue-dial versions.

Also, finding used VCs is tough, especially if you’re looking for a specific reference. They just don’t make that many to begin with. Just do a search on Watch Recon. The market is flooded with Rolexes and APs. You rarely see VCs for sale.
This ^^

GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 11:37 AM   #12
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I love it, especially with the strap options. I think it would fit GREAT into your collection and would likely get a lot of wrist time.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 11:38 PM   #13
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I find the styling on most VC references so beautiful, and the finishing and attention to detail is stunning. I find them far more appealing than AP and PP, if we’re comparing the Holy Trinity. But that’s subjective, of course.
Agreed on the beauty, finishing, and detail. I have never seen one in person yet, however, it seems your dollar goes far with the brand. Regarding the secondary prices, I would not like to take a total bath if at some point down the road I decide to part with it. I did a little research of auction results and saw quite a few VCs commanding a lot. Though these were vintage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
I love it, especially with the strap options. I think it would fit GREAT into your collection and would likely get a lot of wrist time.
Thank you! Would you opt for the VC or Platona? I am having a very hard time determining which one.
Old 22 June 2020, 02:42 AM   #14
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJubel328 View Post
Regarding the secondary prices, I would not like to take a total bath if at some point down the road I decide to part with it. I did a little research of auction results and saw quite a few VCs commanding a lot. Though these were vintage...

Would you opt for the VC or Platona? I am having a very hard time determining which one.
Since all the other watches you listed are Rolexes, I'd mix it up with a VC. But that's just me. I like variety.

As for the secondary market, if your thought is already about how much you'd get if you sold a new watch even before you've purchased it, perhaps it's not the watch for you. I understand there are chronic flippers, but that is often a money-losing proposition, regardless of the brand (with some exceptions).
Old 22 June 2020, 08:52 AM   #15
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Since all the other watches you listed are Rolexes, I'd mix it up with a VC. But that's just me. I like variety.

As for the secondary market, if your thought is already about how much you'd get if you sold a new watch even before you've purchased it, perhaps it's not the watch for you. I understand there are chronic flippers, but that is often a money-losing proposition, regardless of the brand (with some exceptions).
I am still relatively new to collecting (about two years) and have not sold any watches to rotate my collection.

Not saying that I plan to sell in the near-term, however, I would like to have at least a bit of comfort knowing I will not lose 30%+ if I did decide to sell at some point.
Old 23 June 2020, 07:15 AM   #16
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I am still relatively new to collecting (about two years) and have not sold any watches to rotate my collection.

Not saying that I plan to sell in the near-term, however, I would like to have at least a bit of comfort knowing I will not lose 30%+ if I did decide to sell at some point.
On steel VCs you probably wouldn't lose that much if you ended up flipping, but on the PM models, it's possible.

PM models of virtually every brand, including usually financially bullet-proof Rolexes, often drop quite a bit on the secondary market, with some exceptions.

Good luck!
Old 25 June 2020, 07:16 AM   #17
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

I have this watch and been wearing it for 6 month. I was worried about resell also if I fell out of love with it. I called a few dealer friends of my got told they would by it for around 60k in mint condition. However they will market it up to over 70k. With all that said. I'm in love with this watch and now has become my favorite to wear.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 02:25 AM   #18
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrolexendrolex View Post
I have this watch and been wearing it for 6 month. I was worried about resell also if I fell out of love with it. I called a few dealer friends of my got told they would by it for around 60k in mint condition. However they will market it up to over 70k. With all that said. I'm in love with this watch and now has become my favorite to wear.

Stunning. Big congrats! I used to worry about re-sale because I had a tendency to flip often in years past, but now I just buy what I love and don't worry about that. If I flip and lose some money nowadays, I just consider it a watch-rental fee.
Old 28 June 2020, 06:29 AM   #19
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:

That is quite stunning
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 11:43 AM   #20
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What is your wrist size?
Old 1 July 2020, 01:22 PM   #21
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What is your wrist size?

Old 4 July 2020, 03:11 AM   #22
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Just saw the timepiece in-person and it is making this decision much more difficult. I love overseas now, but still can't decide between this or the platona.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-2724.JPG (140.3 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-2719.JPG (118.9 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-2727.JPG (152.9 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-2742.JPG (149.3 KB, 291 views)
Old 4 July 2020, 07:31 AM   #23
AG23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just saw the timepiece in-person and it is making this decision much more difficult. I love overseas now, but still can't decide between this or the platona.
I’d take that over the platona in a heartbeat.

Best of luck with your decision!
AG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 08:09 AM   #24
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I love the Platona, but if your wrists can take it, that is on a different level.

I adore the most recent Overseas, but like most modern sports watches, they’re too big for my wrists...
mongrelnomoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 12:06 PM   #25
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That blue dial is gorgeous! I feel people that buys the Perpetual vc probably already have or had a platona.

Old 4 July 2020, 12:30 PM   #26
JohnnyM
Banned

Watch: All the good ones
Buy what you like my friend. When you buy what others recommend, you end up not loving the watch a six months later, then sell it at a loss.
JohnnyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 03:12 PM   #27
Nightdate
"TRF" Member

This blows the Platona out of the park every single day in my opinion. It’s like Tyson in his prime taking on winner of the village fair boxer....
Nightdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 03:32 PM   #28
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Agreed. VC is on another level. Way more watch.
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 03:36 PM   #29
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

That VC really is a next level watch. Cant really compare.

GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 08:29 PM   #30
Homo Sapien X
"TRF" Member

VC is an exquisite watchmaker.

Homo Sapien X is offline   Reply With Quote