The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 28 June 2020, 08:58 PM   #1
WWC
"TRF" Member

The waiting list doesn’t exist.

I can’t say for others, but from what I’ve experienced with Patek Philippe for the past two years is that there’s no such thing as a waiting list. The so called waiting list is just a nice way of them telling you: “no, we won’t be giving you the watch you want”

I was pretty late into the game with Patek after 10+ years with other brands. In late 2018 I approached a local AD and with no prior history, I asked for an Aquanaut. It took 3 weeks and I received it.

After owning the watch for only 3 months, I approached them once again and asked for a Nautilus. This time, it wasn’t as fast but for sure not as long as the years and years of wait that I hear people say. It took 14 months and I received the Nautilus.

At the end of the day, I would say that your business card matters as well as your love for the brand. Your sincerity will take you a long way. I stopped believing in the incredibly long waiting lists from brands when my own personal experience as well as close friends from the same local AD have received their desired watches.

On the other hand, I’ve been to a Rolex AD where they actually took down my name and contact details in a notebook, I never got the call.

Anybody feel the same way about these waiting lists being true or not? Or do you believe in the actual wait list? Is it different for particular brands?
Cosmograph DAYTONA 116520 | DEEPSEA 126660 | Explorer 214270 | GMT Master II BLRO 16710 | GMT Master II VTNR 126720 | Submariner LV 16610 | Sky-Dweller 326139 | Prince Oysterdate 90630
WWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 09:09 PM   #2
Tjaeng
"TRF" Member

In my experience there is something akin to a (priority) list but that said list had little to nothing to do with actual waiting times.

Don’t honestly know why dealers aren’t more straightforward with that fact. Having hordes of normies, profiteers and other low-spenders drowning you in Steel Sport requests must get tiresome. Like, how often do you actually get someone to buy an OP39 if they came in for a steel Sub?
Tjaeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 09:15 PM   #3
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWC View Post
I can’t say for others, but from what I’ve experienced with Patek Philippe for the past two years is that there’s no such thing as a waiting list. The so called waiting list is just a nice way of them telling you: “no, we won’t be giving you the watch you want”

I was pretty late into the game with Patek after 10+ years with other brands. In late 2018 I approached a local AD and with no prior history, I asked for an Aquanaut. It took 3 weeks and I received it.

After owning the watch for only 3 months, I approached them once again and asked for a Nautilus. This time, it wasn’t as fast but for sure not as long as the years and years of wait that I hear people say. It took 14 months and I received the Nautilus.

At the end of the day, I would say that your business card matters as well as your love for the brand. Your sincerity will take you a long way. I stopped believing in the incredibly long waiting lists from brands when my own personal experience as well as close friends from the same local AD have received their desired watches.

On the other hand, I’ve been to a Rolex AD where they actually took down my name and contact details in a notebook, I never got the call.

Anybody feel the same way about these waiting lists being true or not? Or do you believe in the actual wait list? Is it different for particular brands?
Your business card matters? I can’t even hazard to understand what that means?

Congrats on finding a great AD that understands your brand passion.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 09:40 PM   #4
Sportsnerdy
"TRF" Member

I don't think waiting list exist. How fast you get the watch depends on how much the Ad value you as a client. Perfectly fair to be honest.
Sportsnerdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 09:45 PM   #5
Tjaeng
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Old money > New money
Serious collector > Saved up to buy a special occasion watch
Local and established > Moneyed tourist.

And other less PC discriminatory criteria that we all know exist but that might not be okay to acknowledge and unfair to pin on all dealers collectively.
Tjaeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 09:55 PM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjaeng View Post
Old money > New money
Serious collector > Saved up to buy a special occasion watch
Local and established > Moneyed tourist.

And other less PC discriminatory criteria that we all know exist but that might not be okay to acknowledge and unfair to pin on all dealers collectively.
Ah, the Downton Abbey code of conduct, good to see the last 100 years never happened.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 10:37 PM   #7
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I believe that most think the list has to do with when you are placed onto it and that AD's move down the list from top to bottom. Not the case as attested too buy the many members here and posts. The reality is the AD's will sell to who they want, when they want and as many as they have. If you think it is any other way, then you are mistaken. I hear the word fair a lot, it's not fair that I can not buy what I want, when I want and for msrp. OK, it is not fair but it is reality. The hot watches can be sold for thousands above mspr should the owners decide and I think that has to do with a lot of the complaining about not being able to get these watches. If resale was 20-30% less for the watches from msrp most would not want them. Any watch you want is readily available in the Grey Market for market price but it makes my point that it is really about the money, not the watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 10:39 PM   #8
qrc36
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post

Congrats on finding a great AD that understands your brand passion.
I can only speak for Hong Kong: if you want a Nautilus or Aquanaut, you have to submit a business card to the AD. The AD (if they find you a suitable client) will then submit it to the distributor (Patek representative) in Hong Kong. They make the decision who to sell the watch to. They will do a background search to make sure the person in the card exists, and when the watch arrives the distributor (sometimes) may even make a call to the client to confirm that they asked for the watch. Obviously this means tourists usually get excluded from this process.

In Hong Kong, if you are a doctor or lawyer with a "good" business card (e.g. university professor, or working at the top private hospital or international law firm) then you can get a 5711 quickly without any prior purchase history, if your AD is willing to submit your name to the distributor.
qrc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 11:22 PM   #9
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Now I’m tempted to ask to see OP’s card!!!! :-)
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 11:27 PM   #10
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
My AD considers the spending history of customers, with more emphasis on recent spending. At least that is what they said.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 12:06 AM   #11
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I think ADs sell to whom they want. If they say they are putting a person on a list, it means they will start to think about selling a watch to them at some point. The actual sale depends on future allocations and the needs of the then moment to sell to other customers.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 03:45 AM   #12
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

HK allocation system seems similar to what Patek has been doing for their "application pieces".

Kudos to Patek ADs and/or distributors in other regions if they go this way for the SS Aquanaut or Nautilus. Even with this allocation process, there is nothing to prevent those allocated a watch from flipping it for a quick profit. However it will weed out some "applications" from the pure speculator/flippers who are in it for the money, with no past history of watch purchase.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 04:16 AM   #13
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Ah, the Downton Abbey code of conduct, good to see the last 100 years never happened.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 04:20 AM   #14
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Now I’m tempted to ask to see OP’s card!!!! :-)
“Look at that subtle colouring. The tasteful thickness."

His face creases in horror.

"Oh my God. It even has a watermark.
Old 29 June 2020, 04:49 AM   #15
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I should move to HK...

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrc36 View Post
I can only speak for Hong Kong: if you want a Nautilus or Aquanaut, you have to submit a business card to the AD. The AD (if they find you a suitable client) will then submit it to the distributor (Patek representative) in Hong Kong. They make the decision who to sell the watch to. They will do a background search to make sure the person in the card exists, and when the watch arrives the distributor (sometimes) may even make a call to the client to confirm that they asked for the watch. Obviously this means tourists usually get excluded from this process.

In Hong Kong, if you are a doctor or lawyer with a "good" business card (e.g. university professor, or working at the top private hospital or international law firm) then you can get a 5711 quickly without any prior purchase history, if your AD is willing to submit your name to the distributor.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 06:34 AM   #16
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsnerdy View Post
I don't think waiting list exist. How fast you get the watch depends on how much the Ad value you as a client. Perfectly fair to be honest.
this.

i'd imagine someone who waited 2 years but has spent no money and has no relationship with the AD, will get the call after someone who has spent good money and is likely to spend more.

that being said, i have no clue
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 06:51 AM   #17
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I agree w you, OP, and had very similar experience getting my 5167/1a and 5712a... “lists” are not static and linear. And the “order” is probably always in flux . Getting a popular PP from an AD is not like going to the Deli line at the supermarket and taking a #.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 06:55 AM   #18
Rushne
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
“Look at that subtle colouring. The tasteful thickness."

His face creases in horror.

"Oh my God. It even has a watermark.
Is something wrong? Dauster...you're sweating.

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 06:55 AM   #19
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

Very interesting. When the time is right for me, I might try this first for getting a 5167a. Maybe I’ll get lucky and not go secondary market.
Old 29 June 2020, 09:01 AM   #20
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushne View Post
Is something wrong? Dauster...you're sweating.
American Psycho business card discussion
Old 29 June 2020, 09:04 AM   #21
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

need to work my HK connection then ... hard to believe but if you say so... university prof. could create a whole side hustle flipping watches.
Old 29 June 2020, 12:02 PM   #22
Pateks
Banned

Considering the fact that I can get the next allocation he gets from my AD for virtually any piece I want, yeah, there is no list. I have a 20 history of buying watches, not flipping, repeat customer, referring lots of family and friends- etc etc. The AD will reward me. I’ve had friends who have wanted aquanuts, nautilus and the sort and they are on his “list”. If I want a piece, he will get it for me. It’s not about lists. It’s all about history and loyalty with them.
Pateks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 12:41 PM   #23
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:

And it still doesn't work. Twice now at my grey in HK, I have seen 5711's with papers signed at the same day.
Old 29 June 2020, 01:04 PM   #24
khooper
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
And it still doesn't work. Twice now at my grey in HK, I have seen 5711's with papers signed at the same day.
Unfortunately that happens every where. Soon we will see a significant number of 6007As in the grey market too.
khooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 02:31 PM   #25
qrc36
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post

There is a lot of insider dealing in HK ADs.

Doctor friend was approached by middlemen, asking him to submit a business card to apply for a 5711. The AD then applies for the watch, and then after it's approved, the AD then sells it to the grey market.

Friend was offered around US$8000 or $10000, and was told it's totally risk free because my friend doesn't even have to pay for the watch, the AD just handles it. He does have to show up to the AD on the day of purchase although he doesn't pay for the watch himself (he asked because he wanted to keep the credit card points!)

Not sure how it works in practice but that's what my friend was told. He has no intention of buying any Pateks in the future so doesn't care if his "reputation" is ruined at Patek.
qrc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 03:39 PM   #26
Kittayos
"TRF" Member

The first few aquanaut or nautilus aren’t too bad even for the first time purchaser. Show your passion and humbleness. Slowly build your relationship with a local AD. Things will come along either way.

When it comes to your 3rd or 4th sport watches from Patek, now comes the real spending. You can’t just have all the sport watches only in your collection from one Single AD. No AD will give you that unless you are lucky enough to find another AD who will grant you the same wishes.

Get a world time, some Calatrava from time to time and of course some grand complications, highly recommended. In case you want to stick to one AD and build your profile. When you ask for something special in the future, you will be prioritized or considered for sure. This is the only solution imo.

Otherwise, bundling isn’t bad after all. You know what you get after you pay.
Kittayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 03:55 PM   #27
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Makes sense..

The ADs kids need to get into a good school and once they are there get good grades, he also needs access to best health care advice and if shtf a good lawyer.

Quote:

glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 04:28 PM   #28
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
Makes sense..

The ADs kids need to get into a good school and once they are there get good grades, he also needs access to best health care advice and if shtf a good lawyer.
So that those kids can then whip up a fancy business card and wualify for a Nautilus. The circle of life. ⭕️
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 04:55 PM   #29
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
Makes sense..

All so that those kids can whip up a fancy business card and qualify for a steel sport Patek. Circle of life.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 04:59 PM   #30
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
All so that those kids can whip up a fancy business card and qualify for a steel sport Patek. Circle of life.

Hahah true
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote