The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 March 2019, 11:31 AM   #1
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Do you pay full price for vintage Rolex?

Do you pay full price for vintage Rolex, or is there ways to get them cheaper? The reason I wonder about this, is obviously dealers get them cheaper and sell them for more, but where do they source them?
ravenhome777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 11:55 AM   #2
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
There are some cases when I want to overpay for an amazing watch.
"Cheaper" is found during luck, rare circumstance, and for soft watches.

How do they find them? From clients, prior deals, auctions, dead people, and grinding.
Most of the stories you hear are crap. First owner, barn find, pawn shop ... lies.
stmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 12:01 PM   #3
Hub6152
Banned

Lots of trade shows in Hong Kong, for one place, where dealers meet to do dealer/dealer deals too. Taking advantage of fluctuating exchange rates helps.
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 12:06 PM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quite a few folks trade-in their older watches for new. Major chains take in all their trade-ins, send them to a central service center, then ship them out to branches for sale.

True vintage is a unique animal though. Hardship forces some good deals, many are thrashed and need a rebuild, but good examples seldom come down in price.
Old 12 March 2019, 12:19 PM   #5
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
with nice vintage examples, you have to pay to play.

vintage dealers go to the far ends of the earth for pieces on a drop of a dime.. something most of us are not prepared to do.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 12:22 PM   #6
Hub6152
Banned

The HK trade shows always populated by American, Italian, Dubainese, Egyptians, Chinese and other EU countries. It’s a global affair.
Old 12 March 2019, 01:33 PM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenhome777 View Post
Do you pay full price for vintage Rolex, or is there ways to get them cheaper? The reason I wonder about this, is obviously dealers get them cheaper and sell them for more, but where do they source them?
I didn't know that. Kind of like buying a new watch from an AD or a new car from your friendly dealer.

It's a shame all these capitalists are trying to make a profit and a living.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 07:55 PM   #8
zapokee
"TRF" Member

I'll definitely pay more for the peace of mind you get when buying from a respected, trusted dealer. There's no point risking buying a fake or a franken just to save a bit of money. Think HQ Milton, Ku, Shear, and Springer of this parish...
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 09:37 PM   #9
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
I'll definitely pay more for the peace of mind you get when buying from a respected, trusted dealer. There's no point risking buying a fake or a franken just to save a bit of money. Think HQ Milton, Ku, Shear, and Springer of this parish...

Dare I say that one of the above dealers had sold my 1675 to someone (who then sold it to me) with a Sapphire 16750 bezel insert superglued to the bezel. So even they’re not always immune from some frankenry!! I know because I found the original listing for it and the insert was the same as when I bought it unknowingly.
Old 12 March 2019, 11:24 PM   #10
stmoore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub6152 View Post
Dare I say that one of the above dealers had sold my 1675 to someone (who then sold it to me) with a Sapphire 16750 bezel insert superglued to the bezel. So even they’re not always immune from some frankenry!! I know because I found the original listing for it and the insert was the same as when I bought it unknowingly.
I am not sure I understand. 16750 is plexi, not sapphire. Further, 16750 and 1675 inserts are interchangeable (but not always period).

So was the issue that it was glued or that the insert wasn’t period correct?
Old 12 March 2019, 11:47 PM   #11
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmoore View Post
I am not sure I understand. 16750 is plexi, not sapphire. Further, 16750 and 1675 inserts are interchangeable (but not always period).

So was the issue that it was glued or that the insert wasn’t period correct?

Sorry - wrong reference number - I meant a 16710 Pepsi with sapphire. The issue is both that it was glued in place because it’s smaller and doesn’t fit the 1675/16750 bezel and the gap between the plexi and insert is visibly much bigger.

Now either the original dealer knew and chose to keep shtum, or they didn’t know which is very sloppy to say the least. But the person I bought it from (who had purchased it from this dealer) damn sure knew and deliberately concealed it from me as he knew my expertise was lacking at the time. My seller had also screwed around with some other things too and I’ve only myself to blame for not spotting those.

Ultimately it’s cost me a lot to put it right but I keep it to remind me not to be so careless in future.
Old 12 March 2019, 11:49 PM   #12
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

I never pay full price for ANYTHING, including vintage Rolex.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 01:16 AM   #13
stmoore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smellody View Post
I never pay full price for ANYTHING, including vintage Rolex.
Unhelpful and unaccretive.

There is no price list for vintage, so what does your post even mean?
The price is just what others (the market) will pay but each vintage watch is unique.

So you will always pay less than some variable?! What’s your method to evaluate vintage and in the process “never pay full price for ANYTHING”?
Do you just buy lesser watches that are more likely to be discounted?
Old 13 March 2019, 01:30 AM   #14
1665fan
"TRF" Member

If you buy the best quality vintage pieces they don’t sell at discount...they will always be high and expensive
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 01:46 AM   #15
boomtime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710,116500, DJ
With vintage its a gamble. You risk some major headaches going the cheapest route; you might save on the front end, but you'll probably end up at a similar price when things are all said and done save yourself the headache.
boomtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 02:37 AM   #16
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
There are some cases when I want to overpay for an amazing watch.
"Cheaper" is found during luck, rare circumstance, and for soft watches.

How do they find them? From clients, prior deals, auctions, dead people, and grinding.
Most of the stories you hear are crap. First owner, barn find, pawn shop ... lies.
This. Usually you have to pay premium for great pieces but sometimes you stumble across something great. General rule is however that there are no bargains if you hunt for great quality. If it is cheap it is usually for a reason.

Personally I enjoy great quality more than saving a buck or two. Each to their own though.
Old 13 March 2019, 03:24 AM   #17
05carbondrz
Banned

I sold a Watch here and about 2 Weeks later it popped up on a Dealer Website with the Dial damage(that I mentioned and photographed) covered up by the Hour Hand in all the photos.Most of His other Watches where photographed at 10:10....Not this One,He knew exactly what He was doing.I will buy from a passionate Collector before entering the Dealer Gauntlet.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 06:25 AM   #18
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
I sold a Watch here and about 2 Weeks later it popped up on a Dealer Website with the Dial damage(that I mentioned and photographed) covered up by the Hour Hand in all the photos.Most of His other Watches where photographed at 10:10....Not this One,He knew exactly what He was doing.I will buy from a passionate Collector before entering the Dealer Gauntlet.
Buying great quality from collectors is not necessarily cheaper than buying it from dealers.
Old 13 March 2019, 07:17 AM   #19
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub6152 View Post
Lots of trade shows in Hong Kong, for one place, where dealers meet to do dealer/dealer deals too. Taking advantage of fluctuating exchange rates helps.
Could someone please tell me how the dealers buy a watch at price A in Asia, import it back to the USA and still are able to make a profit? No way they can pass customs and pay no import duties?!

I see so many watches from Japan in the US.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 07:36 AM   #20
1665fan
"TRF" Member

If someone flies to pick up the watch in hand and flies back with the watch on their wrist or in their pocket no customs or duties paid...pretty easy
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 07:37 AM   #21
colpol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agree. I bought 2 pieces from one of the above. Was prepared to pay premium for quality & piece of mind. The way the markets going - my ‘premium price’ 5 years ago now doesn’t seem so bad ;.)
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 07:50 AM   #22
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Most dealers will buy watches for quite a bit below market price but to get those prices they usually buy quite a few watches all at once; so unless you are prepared to buy a few at a time then you will just have to settle for market price.
Old 13 March 2019, 08:30 AM   #23
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
What do you mean full price? there is no MSRP guidance for vintage Rolex, its all based on condition, originality, and market.
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 08:38 AM   #24
raxford
"TRF" Member

You could always consider auction houses as well. Some great deals to be had, since they target the dealer, and they need to make a profit.
raxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 09:13 AM   #25
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Unhelpful and unaccretive.

There is no price list for vintage, so what does your post even mean?
The price is just what others (the market) will pay but each vintage watch is unique.

So you will always pay less than some variable?! What’s your method to evaluate vintage and in the process “never pay full price for ANYTHING”?
Do you just buy lesser watches that are more likely to be discounted?
For context. I would never purchase from the full price online/brick and mortar retailers.

I have sourced my vintage locally and until recently have NOT had competition. I have loved every piece I have purchased and have flipped them all for three times what I paid in trade towards other pieces.

I can't imagine paying $69k on a 6536 or $38k on a Bart Simpson... assuming that is retail.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 09:25 AM   #26
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Was $5,001 3.5 years ago a good deal?

There it was just sitting on eBay with zero bidders and a few minutes left. Also had just had a $1200 service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150810_175308_resized.jpg (188.3 KB, 524 views)
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 10:30 AM   #27
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Could someone please tell me how the dealers buy a watch at price A in Asia, import it back to the USA and still are able to make a profit? No way they can pass customs and pay no import duties?!

One of the big monthly trade shows is held in a hotel ball room. There must be 200-300 tables with Bank note counting machines dotted around the room for people to use since such large amounts of cash change hands. Dealers arrive and leave with suitcases full of watches. Lots of dealers from Japan attend as well as the others I mentioned. And I happened to go into one of the used watch dealers shops where a couple of Italian dealers were buying dozens of Rolex (mostly DJ’s and DD’s all in little plastic pouches with just the warranty card) being packed into a small suitcase. How they get them through customs I have no idea!!
Old 13 March 2019, 11:13 AM   #28
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post

It's easy to wear a watch through customs, and to have friends/colleagues/family wear them for you too. Not that I'd ever condone such actions.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 11:25 AM   #29
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
which dealer? would be good to know.
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 11:31 AM   #30
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Quote:
It's easy to wear a watch through customs, and to have friends/colleagues/family wear them for you too. Not that I'd ever condone such actions.
How do you wear a dozen+ watches on your wrists? You must have very long arms!

The context is about dealers...dealers buy in volume especially if they want to make a profit.
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote