The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 March 2019, 01:08 PM   #91
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaAndSky View Post
I think we can all agree there's a big difference between swapping out an entire movement and replacing the usual bits Rolex does at service. I do wish Rolex would provide an exact list of what was replaced and regulated at service. I thought it was a bit silly that the AD couldn't provide me with information on what caused the movement to stall. I'm a curious guy and would have enjoyed learning the cause.
Agreed.

Now consider this.
I understand that it's going to become standard practice for Tudor to not actually service a given watch movement at the local service centre which pertains to any given Watch case from birth.
Instead, the movement will be swapped on an exchange basis with a different one of the same type/caliber.
The movement will be sent back to the factory or another service centre dedicated to movements only and recycled back into the system.
It is going to be fully refurbished and have any and all current updates applied with the ultimate aim of reducing turn around time and not requiring as much expertise at the local service center with the effect of reducing labour cost.

I wonder where people stand on this possibility?
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2019, 01:14 PM   #92
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Agreed.

Now consider this.
I understand that it's going to become standard practice for Tudor to not actually service a given watch movement at the local service centre which pertains to any given Watch case from birth.
Instead, the movement will be swapped on an exchange basis with a different one of the same type/caliber.
The movement will be sent back to the factory or another service centre dedicated to movements only and recycled back into the system.
It is going to be fully refurbished and have any and all current updates applied with the ultimate aim of reducing turn around time and not requiring as much expertise at the local service center with the effect of reducing labour cost.

I think it's a solid idea. I like a number of things about it. First is that the people most qualified for the work they are doing are doing it. Second is that you are getting a completely rebuilt movement without having to worry about what parts they have on hand. And lastly it should reduce turn around time between waiting for parts and doing the whole positional testing thing. Imagine that a movement was totally refurbished and regulated and all they had to do was swap it out and retest. You could have your watch back in two weeks!
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2019, 01:19 PM   #93
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwatt65 View Post
Now this has me worried, I've got a 116710 since 2007 that has never been serviced, its keeping great time. My feeling is if its not broken why fix it?
Is it keeping time the same as when new?
Do you wear it every day and for how long?
Are you generally active?
Taking into account the age of the seals, are you likely to place your watch at risk?
When you bought the watch, were you fully aware of the fact that the watch will need periodic servicing?
And that the accepted industry service interval was in the 5-7 year range at the time your watch was produced?

Setting aside financial considerations.
The above questions are the ones you must balance against your care factor.
Old 19 March 2019, 01:26 PM   #94
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
I think it's a solid idea. I like a number of things about it. First is that the people most qualified for the work they are doing are doing it. Second is that you are getting a completely rebuilt movement without having to worry about what parts they have on hand. And lastly it should reduce turn around time between waiting for parts and doing the whole positional testing thing. Imagine that a movement was totally refurbished and regulated and all they had to do was swap it out and retest. You could have your watch back in two weeks!
Possibly less than 2 weeks
However, this could theoretically only apply to watches that have movements which are COSC and not watches which are required to adhere to an accuracy standard with a cased up movement as it would potentially be unworkable.

Perhaps it's a concept that's not going to be applicable to Rolex watches then
Old 19 March 2019, 01:44 PM   #95
bigrustypig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD
Quote:
Agreed.

Now consider this.

Heck! Love this idea. I hope this comes true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigrustypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2019, 02:13 PM   #96
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Possibly less than 2 weeks
However, this could theoretically only apply to watches that have movements which are COSC and not watches which are required to adhere to an accuracy standard with a cased up movement as it would potentially be unworkable.

Perhaps it's a concept that's not going to be applicable to Rolex watches then
I don't have any particular attachment to the movement in my (1) rolex. It's like the engine in my car. New/rebuilt engine with warranty at a service? I am all for it.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2019, 07:47 PM   #97
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=exador;9447406]These are watches, not cars.

Genius, thanks!!

The general principle applies.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2019, 07:51 PM   #98
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
I call BS on the OP. A friend recently had a neglected sub serviced by Rolex and it needed a new case and new steel bracelet and who knows what done to the movement. The entire service still came in at less than $4500.

A movement service can not possibly cost $4500, no matter what the problem is and even if the entire movement needs to be replaced.

Rolex does not get emotional and they do not give you a pat on the back if you bring your watch in every 5 years and they are not displeased if you bring your watch in after 30. They just get on with the job and do what needs to be done.

If you want to service your watch every 5 years, then go ahead and do it. Don't make up fantasy stories to justify it though.
I rebut your call of BS.

The 3135 movement is around £2500 - $4838 NZ - $4711 AUS. Add to that whatever else was charged for (ie labour) and the number holds water. Movement service - no...but movement replacement - definitely.

You are right that there is no emotion involved though. A watch brand or watchmaker will advise you but what you choose to do with your watch will not 'displease' them.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2019, 10:06 PM   #99
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
A bit FUD that one.

Going by what Ive read and heard from watchmakers as soon as the watch begins to change how it acts. Losing power reserve or losing accuracy, act.

Thats well before it grinds itself to death as above.
Old 20 March 2019, 02:37 PM   #100
zengineer
"TRF" Member

So are watches the same as lawn mowers, aircraft or cars...or maybe watches are like watches.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 02:42 PM   #101
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
And all of this could have been easily avoided if the watch had been overhauled as per the manufacturer's schedule: every 4-5 years."
Every 4-5 years??? Are you part of the watch servicer's guild???
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 02:49 PM   #102
Tobias
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Yes the watchmaker who wrote this in his newsletter probably is
Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 02:53 PM   #103
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
Yes the watchmaker who wrote this in his newsletter probably is
There's nothing wrong with being a watchmaker.
Especially one with extensive experience and highly qualified
Old 20 March 2019, 02:55 PM   #104
Tobias
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with being a watchmaker.
Especially one with extensive experience and highly qualified
I agree wholeheartedly.
Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 02:56 PM   #105
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
So are watches the same as lawn mowers, aircraft or cars...or maybe watches are like watches.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
In that they all require maintenance and sufficient lubrication to function correctly or reliably. Yes, they are essentially the same.
Old 20 March 2019, 03:22 PM   #106
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Nevermind. I thought 4-5 years was how often the OP was saying a watch should be serviced. But after a second read, I see that OP is merely mis-quoting/mis-stating manufacturer's recommendations.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote