The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 17 April 2011, 05:26 PM   #1
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Heroric Straps

With the HUGE amount of companies and individuals who make straps for Panerai as well as other brands. I have become bamboozled by them all.

I recently purchased a couple from a UK strap maker.

But have become interested in getting a Heroic strap, can any member please give me their input and if possible provide some photos of their watches.

Regards
Tony
Old 17 April 2011, 09:55 PM   #2
leeye
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many......
i've had a few Heroic18 straps. they are nice and well made for their price range. however comparing with higher end Simona straps you will notice differences in the strap and leather quality.
Radiomir - PAM 410
leeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2011, 10:15 PM   #3
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat30093 View Post
With the HUGE amount of companies and individuals who make straps for Panerai as well as other brands. I have become bamboozled by them all.

I recently purchased a couple from a UK strap maker.

But have become interested in getting a Heroic strap, can any member please give me their input and if possible provide some photos of their watches.

Regards
Tony
look at your PM
Old 17 April 2011, 11:56 PM   #4
mfer
"TRF" Member

Depends how much you love straps. Generally, you get what you pay for. There is a reason some straps are $50, some are $120, some are $400. You get the idea. For their price the heroics are what they are, decent. They are thick and have a big buckle.
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2011, 03:05 AM   #5
TopNotchChach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Is oem the way to go?
TopNotchChach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2011, 03:11 AM   #6
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopNotchChach View Post
Is oem the way to go?
yes and no.

yes - the OEM straps looks and feels great, but there is a greater chance of bumping into someone with a same OEM strap

no - it is great to have both OEM and aftermarket straps to change up & down when you want to
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2011, 03:30 AM   #7
mfer
"TRF" Member

Ok, the answer won't be easy. It is a learning process and only you can make that determination yourself! If you have tons of money, you can go right to the top! ABP, Kev, Piotr.

Those are the best IMHO, but there are many others out that that are great. I don't own them all by any means.

Some people look at a Kev and are like WTF? Really, $350?????? Other are like it is the best money they've spent. I don't know yet, mines on order! But the same was said about ABP. I think the craftmanship is superb! Rivaling OEM quality with many other choices in colors, materials, etc. I'm glad I spent the money on my ABP.

That said, I have a $60 Keith Codman that I'm loving!!!!!

I've owned a Heroic and I just didn't like it. It was a decent enough build, but it just didn't sing to me. Others love H18, and have many. As long as you are happy, that is all that matters. Look around, window shop, look at pics, etc. It is just a thing you have to learn on your own.

The good news about straps is if you buy them new, you can sell them immediately for a small hit (it isn't a watch after all). I paid $350 for my Kev strap that is on order. If I don't love it, I bet I can sell it for $320 pretty quickly.
member#3242
Old 18 April 2011, 05:48 AM   #8
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
ABP is excellent.. when I was in Paris I actually visited their shop in person and picked out my own hide and which section i wanted them to use when making my strap. I have had 3 straps made by them. Exotic skins they carry are excellent.

I mean, who else offers elephant?

as far as OEM... OEM is fine, nice solid straps, makes you feel warm inside with the panerai logo on the inside of the strap... BUT After years of owning panerai, I have become more wise... If I was to purchase or if I was in the market for an OEM panerai strap, i would not buy a modern day OEM, i would buy a DIRK strap.

For those of you who don't know who DIRK is, He made all the original OEM straps for panerai dating back to the 1930's all the way to early 1990, when richemont took over, they stopped with the DIRK straps and went else where.

DIRK was manufacturing the stitched in pre vendom logo buckles everyone loves so much.

When panerai discontinued the DIRK line, DIRK still had panerai buckles left over and with panerai’s permission, they allowed DIRK to manufacture a few straps in a limited edition with the panerai buckles until the stock was gone.

DIRK still makes straps today, but being he doesnt work for panerai anymore, he cannot put their name on the straps, so it's his name and his buckle, but everything is exactly the way the vintage OEM straps are as DIRK was the one making them originally.

I think because of the history behind DIRK and his style and methods used for making straps appeals to me much more than the standard OEM.

DIRKS straps are pricey and will run you about the same cost as a modern day OEM, but so worth it.

his shark skins are excellent and just the same as on the First Logo model ever offered by panerai to the public. DIRK straps are manufactured in Tuscany.

here are pics of original vintage panerai OEM straps back when DIRK used to make them.

SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2011, 06:57 AM   #9
mfer
"TRF" Member

+1 on everything I've heard about Dirk. I will have one one day! Just not today b/c I'm waiting on my strap to come!
member#3242
Old 18 April 2011, 09:59 AM   #10
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
+1 on everything I've heard about Dirk. I will have one one day! Just not today b/c I'm waiting on my strap to come!

I'm curious to know your thoughts on the Kev, Mik. You certainly know how I feel. Now I just need to get that ABP on my 312.
Old 18 April 2011, 10:44 AM   #11
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Good info guys, thanks.

Since I'm a newby I'm still just checking things out, but don't want to make to many mistakes.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2011, 04:54 PM   #12
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Thank you to every one who contributed, and gave advice

I have recently bought a couple from a UK strapmaker.

Being very new to this side of watch accessories, I am still very much learning.

But though the OEM straps are excellent quality, what I do like about some of the aftremarket straps is the thickness, suppleness and their rugged apperance.
Old 19 April 2011, 02:18 AM   #13
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

What about the Kain Heritage range?
How do they compare against the other brands that have been mentioned?
Regards
Tony
Old 19 April 2011, 03:58 AM   #14
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

Hey Tony..I just wanted to drop by and say..your Patek is just AWESOME!

regarding straps..I am in agreement with the others above...

you get what you paid for and I personally love GSD, Simona, Rob Montana for my calfs/ammos and OEM on the crocs...

enjoy!
Old 19 April 2011, 04:32 AM   #15
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Thanks Phil.

I do have to say, that it gave me that warm feeling in my stomach when I first saw it last year.

I shall check out the Rob Montana.

Regards
Tony

PS have I seen your name on another well known forum?
Old 19 April 2011, 05:00 AM   #16
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Very nice info guys... thanks!
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2011, 03:57 PM   #17
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

I have a Heroic which I find too thick - which detracts from the look of the watch as well as making it not so comfy on the wrist. So I never use it any more. From experience, buying off the internet can be hit or miss - wrt to the coloring, fit, the "right" length", the comfort of the leather etc. And given that the straps can be some USD$100+, its a really bad investment to buy something you end up not liking. So - best to *really* do your research well before committing.
Grand Seiko
bcacncnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2011, 05:01 PM   #18
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Thank you Bryan, I fully agree with your views, this is probably why I have been so hesitant in going ahead.

Though I do like the straps to be quite thick as they appeal to me more, especially on such a large and chunky watch.