The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 27 November 2017, 08:16 AM   #31
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
Just playing devils advocate. I read the ad and it does not claim the watch is authentic.
He could claim that a replica Daytona costs this much. He simply doesn't know.
If it's working, that's all he claims.
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2017, 09:48 AM   #32
ajshiner69
"TRF" Member

Watch: '17 Subb 116610LN
He told me he knows "for sure" that is real after I asked him repeatedly.
ajshiner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2017, 10:43 AM   #33
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
Yes. Its real. Its a real watch.
Authentic not so much.
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2017, 12:00 PM   #34
mfnj
2024 Pledge Member

Wait, let me get this right - you thought that someone was ignorant enough to sell you a watch worth in excess of $15,000 for $600 and you were getting the deal of a lifetime! That’s funny!!
mfnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2017, 12:10 PM   #35
eelpie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15223, 6305/2
I'm not sure which is more impressive . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfnj View Post
Wait, let me get this right - you thought that someone was ignorant enough to sell you a watch worth in excess of $15,000 for $600 and you were getting the deal of a lifetime! That’s funny!!

The empathy displayed by the denizens of this board, or the number of perfect, mistake-free people gathered together in one place . . .
eelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2017, 01:10 PM   #36
mfnj
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelpie View Post

The empathy displayed by the denizens of this board, or the number of perfect, mistake-free people gathered together in one place . . .
Eelpie, I will cede you the empathetic high ground! Plus I will go on record and admit that I am neither perfect nor mistake-free!

Sorry OP, no insult was intended and I feel sorry you lost $600 but if the watch was truly real do you think it would have been fine to take advantage of this seller who perhaps had no clue what they had? And we are not talking about getting a good deal for a few hundred dollars or even a few thousand dollars but something that is closer to 15,000!
Old 27 November 2017, 02:00 PM   #37
ajshiner69
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback, mfnj, really; let me try to address your point. I didn't know very much about Daytonas when I first came across the CL ad. I'm new to watch collecting and delving into learning about various areas of horology. I thought I was getting a neglected (in pics it looks somewhat abused, esp the bracelet) but working Rolex for not very much money. I knew some Daytonas were famous (cf. Newman Daytona recently auctioned), but wasn't looking to score a 15k watch for 600 smackers. Thought it as a beater Rolex I could wear around and feel good about it. I'm sure you were once a novice at something in your life once, too, unless you emerged from the womb a consummate pro at everything. I'll give you that this may be possible though unlikely.
Old 27 November 2017, 04:50 PM   #38
scoobnoob1103
"TRF" Member

Did it come with box and papers at least? Lmao
scoobnoob1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 12:07 AM   #39
ajshiner69
"TRF" Member

Yep, Scoob; came with the "full set." Ha! The episode was a new low in my foolishness!
Old 28 November 2017, 12:50 AM   #40
mfnj
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajshiner69 View Post
Thanks for the feedback, mfnj, really; let me try to address your point. I didn't know very much about Daytonas when I first came across the CL ad. I'm new to watch collecting and delving into learning about various areas of horology. I thought I was getting a neglected (in pics it looks somewhat abused, esp the bracelet) but working Rolex for not very much money. I knew some Daytonas were famous (cf. Newman Daytona recently auctioned), but wasn't looking to score a 15k watch for 600 smackers. Thought it as a beater Rolex I could wear around and feel good about it. I'm sure you were once a novice at something in your life once, too, unless you emerged from the womb a consummate pro at everything. I'll give you that this may be possible though unlikely.
Thanks for the explanation, and once again, I am sorry for your situation and the appearance of any insult to you. I certainly know what it is like to be a novice and did not start as a consummate pro! I also know what it is like to lose money on a transaction.

Perhaps as a service to the forum you can tell us the cursory research (your words) you did before the purchase so that we can make suggestions to other novice forum members before they make a purchase and to be as informed as possible. Let's turn this thread into a constructive one! You knew enough to check between the lugs and check for a serial number as you mentioned and according to your profile you own a 116610LN so you are familiar with Rolex.
Old 28 November 2017, 02:18 AM   #41
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

What a piece of garbage. Too bad I'm not closer, I'd love to mess with the guy. Or find a way to bust him. But yeah, should have known this was fake from the start.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 03:50 AM   #42
ajshiner69
"TRF" Member

Yes, absolutely should have known. I ignored red flags at my peril!

(mfnj, your suggestion is a great one, and i appreciate your kind words. I'll post something along the the lines of what you're suggesting)

I'm in a fortunate situation where I need not work FT anymore... .so I have to time to mess with this guy. Suggestion welcome:-)
Old 28 November 2017, 04:13 AM   #43
ajshiner69
"TRF" Member

I have the guy's cell phone number...anyone know how I can reverse search it?
Old 28 November 2017, 05:13 AM   #44
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:
Perhaps as a service to the forum you can tell us the cursory research (your words) you did before the purchase so that we can make suggestions to other novice forum members before they make a purchase and to be as informed as possible. Let's turn this thread into a constructive one! You knew enough to check between the lugs and check for a serial number as you mentioned and according to your profile you own a 116610LN so you are familiar with Rolex.
Well in terms of cursory research for a novice, I might have looked at a picture of a real Daytona first and noticed, "Hey, the one in my picture doesn't have the days of the week on the subdial. What gives?" But that's just me.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 05:25 AM   #45
timepiecegentleman
Banned

Watch: 116613LN Bluesy
Keep in mind that Chinatown in NYC is among the largest area of Fake Dealers, aside from china itself, and they deal somewhere in the billions each year. First rule of thumb, if it sounds to good to be true, it normally is.

I cant tell you how many pilot friends of mine are always telling me how they got "the real deal" because they gotten taken to a separate room far in the back, away from all the other customers, and got to choose a piece from 5-7 watches so it must be the real thing.

Always do your research on a specific model you're interested in before making a purchase.
timepiecegentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 06:32 AM   #46
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Quote:
Eelpie, I will cede you the empathetic high ground! Plus I will go on record and admit that I am neither perfect nor mistake-free!

Sorry OP, no insult was intended and I feel sorry you lost $600 but if the watch was truly real do you think it would have been fine to take advantage of this seller who perhaps had no clue what they had? And we are not talking about getting a good deal for a few hundred dollars or even a few thousand dollars but something that is closer to 15,000!
People buy stuff from garage or state sale and later found out they are worth a fortune. But they probably did not know what they got.. probably not....
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote