The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 13 July 2021, 10:32 PM   #31
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

So... Don't let the internet hype keep hyping the hype up.

It's practically impossible to get, obviously, but "his son not being able to get one" is not an indicator, nor does it justify flippers flipping for $500k on Chrono24 or at the upcoming auction.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 10:32 PM   #32
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I imagine he considers he can't for reasons beyond the obvious.
Or maybe he’s just saying what he thinks the press and the watch buying public wants to hear.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 11:19 PM   #33
AckAck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5204P
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
And you believe that? ”Couldn’t even”? Thierry Stern could give his son a 5711 made of watch collector teeth if he wanted to. He doesn’t wan’t to, doesn’t mean he can’t.
AckAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 12:24 AM   #34
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Here you go OP, this is probably your best chance at one:

https://catalog.antiquorum.swiss/en/...al-lot-341-152
Old 14 July 2021, 12:24 AM   #35
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
And you believe that? ”Couldn’t even”? Thierry Stern could give his son a 5711 made of watch collector teeth if he wanted to. He doesn’t wan’t to, doesn’t mean he can’t.
wonder what that piece unique would fetch at phillips
dchang81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 01:05 AM   #36
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
Personally I don't think this happens I think we would all like to believe this happens but it don't
The voice of economic reason. Patek has never been more delighted with the hype machine than they are now, they have no intention of trying to burn it down and they know it's easier and smarter to swim with the current. The secondary market hype is driving profits and allowing them to sell even their least popular watches. Wanna get a stainless steel 5711? Sure, just spend $200K on other Pateks with your AD. Oh, wait, that was two years ago, make that $2 million.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 01:11 AM   #37
erics
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712r, XX, 1675
another aspect that one should consider when it comes to 'flippers': implicitly, the name suggests that the person re-selling a 5711 would be an expert at such things.

The reality is that IF you were to get 1, you would never be able to repeat the exercise twice. So yes you would pocket a few $100k and then what? That's it for the rest of your life? Poor profession if you ask me.

People who get an allocation are most likely to have little interest in flipping. Some do (supposedly), find it a little stupid. A lot of downside in doing so.
erics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 01:17 AM   #38
bob101
"TRF" Member

I have no idea why anyone would consider paying grey prices for this watch or any 5711.
The 5712 and 5726, 5980, 5990 are much better watches. If I was offered this or the rose gold 5990 I know which I’d go for every time.
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 01:34 AM   #39
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob101 View Post
I have no idea why anyone would consider paying grey prices for this watch or any 5711.
The 5712 and 5726, 5980, 5990 are much better watches. If I was offered this or the rose gold 5990 I know which I’d go for every time.
Well beauty in in the eye of the beholder, all the pieces you have named have more complications and cost more new, doesn't make them better. Of course, making an argument for any of them at grey prices is an uphill battle.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 01:37 AM   #40
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Thierry just spouting what he thinks sounds good. His son could have one made of whatever materials he chooses if they really cared for it. They probably don’t.
Old 14 July 2021, 01:49 AM   #41
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
The unfortunate part is they're lining the pockets of flippers.

That's the part that kills me.
yes sure but if you could flip AMG C classes tomorrow for a profit people would take advantage of that. It's just how the world works.

I am more upset that the watch companies have this dual standard and want you to be this perfect client but they can do whatever they want. I do think PP's business model is outdated and they should go to a boutique only model that only Geneva controls but that would probably cost too much capex.
AP is better but they also can't control their AD owned boutiques - more than anything I hate the AD shenanigans and the terrible allocation process that's super unfair.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 01:49 AM   #42
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Thierry just spouting what he thinks sounds good. His son could have one made of whatever materials he chooses if they really cared for it. They probably don’t.
Owning (or, not really owning but rather looking after?) Patek Philippe SA > owning/looking after Patek Philippe watches.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 03:55 AM   #43
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob101 View Post
It's about exclusivity, people want what no one else can get but everyone else wants. The 5712, 5726, 5980 and 5990 are attainable and, at least in the case of the 5980/1a, tired, which is why it sells for the same price, in the secondary market, as the 5968a, a less expensive piece, at MSRP, which is still in production.
Old 14 July 2021, 05:12 AM   #44
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

It's strange. I never wanted what no one else can get but everyone else wants.

Am I an abomination?

(Yes, I have some things that fall into this category, but that's not even remotely close to why I want them, or why they're in my collection.)
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 05:40 PM   #45
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Am I an abomination?

(Yes, I have some things that fall into this category, but that's not even remotely close to why I want them, or why they're in my collection.)
Yet, if it were not generally true that people want what they cannot have, we’d all be walking around in Vacherons, Breguets and Girard Perregaux…

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 06:28 PM   #46
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
Yet, if it were not generally true that people want what they cannot have, we’d all be walking around in Vacherons, Breguets and Girard Perregaux…
But Vacheron is really a great watch though. And it’s also really difficult to get. Try going to the boutique and asking for an Overseas.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 07:39 PM   #47
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

In addition to coveting those things that others covet we all want to believe that we're individuals and not subject to the whims of fashion.
Old 14 July 2021, 08:20 PM   #48
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:

Am I an abomination?

Same here, I only get the watches I like.

But I tend to have common taste bud with people who queue up for nice food. I can't explain why, when I'm queuing for the first time ever in my life for Ichiran ramen, I know it will definitely taste great. And of course, it is one of my fav ramen when I eventually tasted it.

I think this also extends to the nice cars and gorgeous looking humans. I like them not because everyone else likes them, but I observe a lot of people have common taste.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 11:16 AM   #49
WatchLover1234
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics View Post
another aspect that one should consider when it comes to 'flippers': implicitly, the name suggests that the person re-selling a 5711 would be an expert at such things.

The reality is that IF you were to get 1, you would never be able to repeat the exercise twice. So yes you would pocket a few $100k and then what? That's it for the rest of your life? Poor profession if you ask me.

People who get an allocation are most likely to have little interest in flipping. Some do (supposedly), find it a little stupid. A lot of downside in doing so.
Beg to differ.. People are viewing liquidity cash more important and it's a faster earning than other trades. When the hype has stopped and all situations became "normalized", the sports models will still be available on the shelf like what happened 10 to 15 years ago and they are selling at a discount and "begging" you to get that..

Corporate will always think from business point of view. it's all about profits to them, even though they do not emphasize that much. Scalpers will get away with it and they are just leveraging this situation to their advantages.
WatchLover1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 10:26 PM   #50
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLover1234 View Post
Beg to differ.. People are viewing liquidity cash more important and it's a faster earning than other trades. When the hype has stopped and all situations became "normalized", the sports models will still be available on the shelf like what happened 10 to 15 years ago and they are selling at a discount and "begging" you to get that..

Corporate will always think from business point of view. it's all about profits to them, even though they do not emphasize that much. Scalpers will get away with it and they are just leveraging this situation to their advantages.
Wow, I am 100% certain that you are correct about this and am postponing any future watch purchases until this prediction is actualized. In the meantime I am putting together a list of what I want to buy and the minimum discount to MSRP that I will accept. Excited already.
Old 15 July 2021, 11:52 PM   #51
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Ha ! Sports watches sitting on shelves - dealers begging? Really? Dream on !
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 12:23 AM   #52
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Same here, I only get the watches I like.

But I tend to have common taste bud with people who queue up for nice food. I can't explain why, when I'm queuing for the first time ever in my life for Ichiran ramen, I know it will definitely taste great. And of course, it is one of my fav ramen when I eventually tasted it.

I think this also extends to the nice cars and gorgeous looking humans. I like them not because everyone else likes them, but I observe a lot of people have common taste.
I just got your name and avatar. Lol

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
liljctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 02:13 AM   #53
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
If you need to ask here, then there is absolute zero chance of you getting one.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 04:44 AM   #54
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
If you need to ask here, then there is absolute zero chance of you getting one.
I'd say this is pretty accurate... LOL... At least from AD at MSRP for sure... OP can always bid on upcoming auctions or buy one second hand.
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 12:35 PM   #55
WatchLover1234
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
Ha ! Sports watches sitting on shelves - dealers begging? Really? Dream on !
You don't possibly tell me that you think the hype will continue forever and that sports watches are always hard to get? Time will change everything.. What goes up, must come down.. What is down, will come up probably one day.. That explains why pieces that are hot right now will not be hot in future.. Pieces that are not hot right now, they will have a chance.. People's taste changes over time and when watches are not speculated by people anymore, the entire demand comes down and that's when we see the "bubble" burst which many of us are hoping.. Simple economics.. That day will come.. All we need to do now is wait..

If not, by all means, join in the game..
WatchLover1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 07:51 PM   #56
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLover1234 View Post
You don't possibly tell me that you think the hype will continue forever and that sports watches are always hard to get? Time will change everything.. What goes up, must come down.. What is down, will come up probably one day.. That explains why pieces that are hot right now will not be hot in future.. Pieces that are not hot right now, they will have a chance.. People's taste changes over time and when watches are not speculated by people anymore, the entire demand comes down and that's when we see the "bubble" burst which many of us are hoping.. Simple economics.. That day will come.. All we need to do now is wait..

If not, by all means, join in the game..
Excellent! Maybe someday I'll be able to sell my Panerais at a profit, assuming prices can triple. I've got a couple of Bulgaris I wouldn't mind unloading, also.
So much to look forward to.