The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 August 2010, 09:05 PM   #1
carter.1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
my 30 year old submariner

Hi again. Before we jet off to Poland for our final dental treatment I would like to show off my love!
I bought this watch when I worked offshore in the north sea in the late 70's early 80's, it came from an M.O.D auction
At the time I had a bit of a "downer" on it because it was'nt new, and because it was a service watch!!

A few years later, I had a new submariner bracelet fitted, and that cost me more than the watch! ( it was fitted by a rolex dealer)

Recently the watch went back to a Rolex dealer and to cut a long story (after a long period of examination by him) He advised me to get it insured as it is worth a good few bob!!

It has had 2 owners since new, the MOD and me! It works perfectly and I have worn it on every holiday since, and day to day a lot of the time!
In some ways it's a bit sad, don't think I dare wear it again!!!

I would be happy to hear the forums comments!

By the way,the Rolex guy removed the strap at my request, I will prob get another service strap
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front USE.jpg (59.7 KB, 898 views)
File Type: jpg model end use.jpg (30.4 KB, 891 views)

Last edited by carter.1; 21 August 2010 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: spelling
carter.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 09:11 PM   #2
Nicko
Banned

I don't know enough about these, but if it is 100% legit then you could buy a nice summer home somewhere if you ever decide to sell it. Comments experts?
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 09:39 PM   #3
carter.1
"TRF" Member

my 30 year old submariner

Am assured by a rolex dealer that it is genuine. Was in the dealers for ages supping tea while he was on the phone talking about it. He told me to contact him again if I ever decided to sell!
Old 21 August 2010, 10:12 PM   #4
carter.1
"TRF" Member

Further to my post

The Rolex dealer who inspected my submariner told me not to release the serial number as it might get cloned! Can you believe it!
Old 21 August 2010, 10:25 PM   #5
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter.1 View Post
The Rolex dealer who inspected my submariner told me not to release the serial number as it might get cloned! Can you believe it!
I don't think it really matters as the fakes are easily spotted buy someone who knows what they are looking for. Anyone willing to spend almost 6 figures on a watch will make darn sure it's legit prior to buying it. Not sure if you saw the one recently auctioned off on eBay, but that one brought quite a bit. If this is the real thing then you are indeed a lucky man.
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 10:33 PM   #6
dave thomas
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea dweller
hi carter.1

nice watch, i am also a yorkshireman i saw one of the milsubs go las week for £60.000 on an auction site, it was the same as yours all the best dave.
dave thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 10:39 PM   #7
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
WOW! That watch has some stories to tell
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 10:40 PM   #8
dave thomas
"TRF" Member

i will see if i can find the link.
Old 21 August 2010, 10:48 PM   #9
dave thomas
"TRF" Member

This was taken from another forum.

The eBay "MilSub" - Yes! It IS genuine...
by Mike Wood on Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:11 pm

Following the the appearance of a used Rolex Submariner on eBay in nearby Wigan (north-west England), I contacted the seller and drove the thirty miles to visit him and inspect the watch last Saturday evening.

I've received plenty of enquiries about the watch, and have been asked for my opinion.

I can confirm that the watch is a genuine British military issued Royal Navy Rolex Submariner issued in the mid-1970's.

The watch is a reference 5513 with the case number 3927233. The full case number is correctly engraved inside the case back, along with the date code. The outside of the case back is engraved 0552/923-7697 (denoting Royal Navy issue) and the issue number 302/75 below the Admiralty arrow. The engraving is original, and lies beneath the "wear" marks where the strap has rubbed against the caseback. I am quite happy to state my belief that the caseback is completely original to the watch.

The dial and hands are completely authentic and genuine. The tritium dial markers are bright and white, and the dial appears to be in perfect condition, with the original T-circle correctly positioned as it should be on a "milSub" dial. The gladiator / sword hands are genuine Rolex hands, and I again believe them to be original to the watch. The colour of the luminous infill is a nice match to the dial markers, and the white metal of the hands only exhibits light surface corrosion.

The bezel is the correct 60 minute marker bezel unique to the British military issue Submariner, and has faded to an even grey tone. The bezel pearl is missing, but is very easily replaceable. The underneath of the bezel is caked with dirt, making the bezel very stiff to turn in either direction.

The crystal is a domed plexi, and is heavily scratches and scored.

The case is in very honest and original used condition, with the original fixed strap bars, which do not appear to have been removed at any time in the life of the watch. I did not see any signs of a bracelet having been fitted. The black nylon NATO band is a cheap modern replacement strap.

The nickel plated Rolex cal. 1520 movement is very dirty, and does not appear to have been serviced. The mechanism is running, the balance turning, and the hands carrying, but it stops and the manual-winding through the crown is virtually seized up. The hands can be adjusted, and the seconds hand "hacks" when the winder is pulled out. I feel a full clean and overhaul of the mechanism will restore the watch to perfect working order.

All in all, the watch is a complete and original full-spec British military issue Rolex Submariner watch.

The watch belongs to the seller's father, who is still alive but in poor health. I understand he served as an engineer with the Royal Navy Marines for around twelve years, and has owned the watch from this time. There is no documentary provenence to accompany the watch.
Old 22 August 2010, 12:12 AM   #10
rfknauss
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513 Sub, LV Sub
Dave, that is absolutely a gorgeous vintage Submariner!

"Few things in life give man as great a pleasure as wearing a Rolex!"

TRF's "AFTER DARK" Bar & NightClub Patron
rfknauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2010, 03:19 AM   #11
carter.1
"TRF" Member

Thanks mate. Nice innit!!
Old 24 August 2010, 02:11 AM   #12
beany

Watch: 14060
Fantastic
beany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2010, 02:31 AM   #13
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice Sub !
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2010, 03:29 AM   #14
Michael M.
Banned

Very interesting, your "Milsub" seems to have bracelet end piece marks on the lugs, and imbetween the lugs, Milsubs were never fitted with bracelets, it could be a normal production 5513 that was made to look like a Milsub. You should have a Authorized dealer check the serial number with Rolex, and see if it is a milsub.
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2010, 05:04 AM   #15
lupus
"TRF" Member

hands? insert is off. T looks new. and bracelet rubs.....
lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2010, 05:27 AM   #16
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Very nice.
Old 26 August 2010, 05:52 AM   #17
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
Will need some macro shots straight on. Perspective is off when shots are taken from an angle like your first pic. Can't also ascertain whether the sword hands are correct or aftermarket.

As mentioned, insert is not the correct "60 minute" version (and I could be easily convinced it's an aftermarket one, but again a straight on macro shot would refute or confirm this).

If indeed this MilSub is the real deal, then you're well-advised to send this off to RSC UK for an overhaul and to confirm provenance. Just emphatically state that you do not want them to change any authentic parts (e.g. dial, hands, bezel, movement) out. RSC UK has pretty solid records of all MilSubs that were produced for the MoD, so they should be able to provide a letter confirming authenticity and providing a history of where and when it was deployed.

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2010, 06:32 AM   #18
jedly1
"TRF" Member

private message sent.
jedly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2010, 07:07 AM   #19
NMS75

Watch: 16610 & 116710LN
Personally I think that is a beautiful watch with some great history behind it! I would love to own and wear a Sub like that one! Thanks for sharing it with the forum :)

M
NMS75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2010, 07:24 AM   #20
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Very sharp mil-sub
Old 26 August 2010, 07:35 AM   #21
carter.1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael M. View Post
Very interesting, your "Milsub" seems to have bracelet end piece marks on the lugs, and imbetween the lugs, Milsubs were never fitted with bracelets, it could be a normal production 5513 that was made to look like a Milsub. You should have a Authorized dealer check the serial number with Rolex, and see if it is a milsub.
Had it checked with a Rolex dealer who confirmed that it is genuine. I had a rolex bracelet fitted some years ago by a Rolex agent(I presume they were not as valuable then!) and had the same bracelet removed by a Rolex dealer a few weeks ago with the intension of fitting another service strap. This accounts for the wear marks on the watch bars(the Rolex dealers comments).
Old 26 August 2010, 07:40 AM   #22
carter.1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS75 View Post
Personally I think that is a beautiful watch with some great history behind it! I would love to own and wear a Sub like that one! Thanks for sharing it with the forum :)

M
Many thanks, this is nice (I have never really been aware of its history and significance till' recently)
Old 26 August 2010, 07:54 AM   #23
carter.1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionstorm View Post
Will need some macro shots straight on. Perspective is off when shots are taken from an angle like your first pic. Can't also ascertain whether the sword hands are correct or aftermarket.

As mentioned, insert is not the correct "60 minute" version (and I could be easily convinced it's an aftermarket one, but again a straight on macro shot would refute or confirm this).

If indeed this MilSub is the real deal, then you're well-advised to send this off to RSC UK for an overhaul and to confirm provenance. Just emphatically state that you do not want them to change any authentic parts (e.g. dial, hands, bezel, movement) out. RSC UK has pretty solid records of all MilSubs that were produced for the MoD, so they should be able to provide a letter confirming authenticity and providing a history of where and when it was deployed.
According to a recent lengthy inpection by a Rolex dealer in West Yorkshire the hands and watch face are original and in very good condition. There is still investigation required regarding the bezel. Evidently Rolex do not hold records of Submariners prior to 1975. This is a watch that was issued to the Royal Navy after being put into stock in the Quartermasters register in 1974. The "broad arrow" or "pheon" signified that it was military property. As I have said, the only really remaining question is with the bezel that has no "minute" segments.
Old 26 August 2010, 08:01 AM   #24
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter.1 View Post
As I have said, the only really remaining question is with the bezel that has no "minute" segments.
It looks cool though. The bezel insert looks very similar to the 6200 sub insert.. from a different era..
I’m sure Jed sent you some good info. The circle t is nice and bright.
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2010, 09:05 AM   #25
carter.1
"TRF" Member

Last edited by carter.1; 26 August 2010 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: sorry it was for a private message
Old 26 August 2010, 10:14 AM   #26
Saxon007
"TRF" Member

I am curious about the bracelet being fitted. I thought milsubs had fixed bars?
Old 26 August 2010, 10:16 AM   #27
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
I am curious about the bracelet being fitted. I thought milsubs had fixed bars?
Maybe it was a custom job.
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2010, 10:24 AM   #28
carter.1
"TRF" Member

A Rolex dealer fitted it for me a few years ago. Another removed it recently. The fixed bars can be removed, but it shows. Had I known then what I know now I would not have had it done.
Old 26 August 2010, 10:37 AM   #29
jedly1
"TRF" Member

remember part of the reason these are so rare in full complete original spec is because, of the proportion that survived military use, most were sold out through disposal auction and 'civillianised' by folk.. so those silly hands, daft bezels, and canvas straps that stopped it looking like a 'proper' Rolex all went in the bin pretty quick sharp.

was very common to bang the fixed bars out and just put a bracelet on, some were lazier and just bent the bracelet over the bars !!

the insert doesn't look like any of the early no hash inserts and probably wouldnt even basterdise in.. so i'm leaning to an after-market put in at some point to make it look 'proper'
jedly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2010, 10:41 AM   #30
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Very interesting and welcome to TRF. Very nice watch and hope you keep us updated. Listen to the vets here and they will help you along.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote