The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 April 2020, 10:25 AM   #1
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Less is More

My small gathering grew to five watches, but I realized I only seem to want to wear two of them; the Explorer II (the workhorse) and the Pepsi with the brilliantly comfortable jubilee bracelet. The Submariner went to my brother and the Milgauss and Air-Kings found new homes. I miss them, but it’s hard to justify thousands of dollars just sitting in the case.

I’d still really like to add a dress watch, most likely a JLC Master Control as a total change of pace. There are a few Rolexes on my radar, namely the Sea-Dweller and maybe a Bluesy. But for now I’m so happy with my duo that I’m just going to enjoy what I have. Nice place to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 10:29 AM   #2
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Very nice Mike, I totally agree with the adage of less is more! I'm curious, which SD were you thinking about adding?
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 10:44 AM   #3
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
Very nice Mike, I totally agree with the adage of less is more! I'm curious, which SD were you thinking about adding?

Thanks mate! Most likely the standard black SD43. I used to have the SD4K and the 43 fixed all my little issues with it, much like the way the mk2 Explorer fixed my issues with the mk1. But really the TT is stunning as is the two Deep Sea variants!

Old 3 April 2020, 10:51 AM   #4
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post
Thanks mate! Most likely the standard black SD43. I used to have the SD4K and the 43 fixed all my little issues with it, much like the way the mk2 Explorer fixed my issues with the mk1. But really the TT is stunning as is the two Deep Sea variants!

Nice...the SD43 is a fantastic watch! I actually owned one for just about a year and it's a heck of a piece...I actually ended up trading mine in for the BLRO as I'm a one watch guy (for now) and the SD was just a bit too big for a daily. I've been debating whether or not I want to plan to re-add it for a two watch collection.
Old 3 April 2020, 11:48 AM   #5
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Very interesting and I like your style. I find myself frequently gravitating to my BLNR and 5 digit polar. We are close. My 2254.50 finishes my trio of watches that I truly enjoy wearing.

Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 11:55 AM   #6
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Nice...the SD43 is a fantastic watch! I actually owned one for just about a year and it's a heck of a piece...I actually ended up trading mine in for the BLRO as I'm a one watch guy (for now) and the SD was just a bit too big for a daily. I've been debating whether or not I want to plan to re-add it for a two watch collection.
That would be a fantastic duo...I believe that's fellow Pepsi fan T-Bone's duo. That's about as good as it gets.
Old 3 April 2020, 11:58 AM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I knew you'd come around

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 12:01 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That would be a fantastic duo...I believe that's fellow Pepsi fan T-Bone's duo. That's about as good as it gets.
Yes indeed, and I love both. The SD43 would really round out your collection Mike

Old 3 April 2020, 12:01 PM   #9
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckobros View Post
Very interesting and I like your style. I find myself frequently gravitating to my BLNR and 5 digit polar. We are close. My 2254.50 finishes my trio of watches that I truly enjoy wearing.

That's a great trio! I always wanted a Pepsi (from the Magnum PI days) but when I got the call from my AD and they had a Pepsi and a Batman it took me a long time to decide. And the polar Explorer II was my first Rolex love. I say all that to say, I just as easily could have your exact combo. Also I've liked that version of the Seamaster with the over-sized 12 o'clock marker. Well done!
Old 3 April 2020, 12:04 PM   #10
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Yes indeed, and I love both. The SD43 would really round out your collection Mike

There he is! Man I guarantee you that picture of your Sea-Dweller has sold quite a few watches for Rolex! I'm thinking very hard about the Sea-Dweller. Which is a funny thing to say considering 30 minutes ago I was content with my collection.
Old 3 April 2020, 12:07 PM   #11
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I knew you'd come around

oh man, you know I think it’s only a matter of time before I re-add it Brian...it’s an awesome watch and would make a great pair with the BLRO...I’m just trying to be like you!

Quote:

Nice! We will have to see what happens, good luck.
Old 3 April 2020, 12:09 PM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Quote:
There he is! Man I guarantee you that picture of your Sea-Dweller has sold quite a few watches for Rolex! I'm thinking very hard about the Sea-Dweller. Which is a funny thing to say considering 30 minutes ago I was content with my collection.
You’re a good man Mike

BTW, I really like your Explorer 2 ... I’ve been jonesing for the black dial lately, such a great reference and so comfortable. I think you have a great collection
Old 3 April 2020, 12:14 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
:...I’m just trying to be like you!

:
You need to aim waaaay higher

I remember your decision making process and if faced with the same as you, I’d have done exactly the same. The BLRO really is my favorite SS professional reference and hard to beat.

Nice thing about this hobby is that you can always add and the SD43 is fairly easy to re acquire
Old 3 April 2020, 12:20 PM   #14
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You need to aim waaaay higher

I remember your decision making process and if faced with the same as you, I’d have done exactly the same. The BLRO really is my favorite SS professional reference and hard to beat.

Nice thing about this hobby is that you can always add and the SD43 is fairly easy to re acquire
You're so right man, it's my favorite as well...think it's honestly about as close to perfection as you can get for a SS Rolex and I haven't regretted the decision one bit!

Isn't that the truth...seems like we've all been there buying/selling/re-buying a watch, at least once during our journey.
Old 3 April 2020, 01:03 PM   #15
cdubg21
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
I went from 3 to 2 and couldn’t be happier
cdubg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 01:05 PM   #16
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
I think you made a food choice. That is a great duo.

schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 01:38 PM   #17
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
You're so right man, it's my favorite as well...think it's honestly about as close to perfection as you can get for a SS Rolex and I haven't regretted the decision one bit!

Isn't that the truth...seems like we've all been there buying/selling/re-buying a watch, at least once during our journey.
The Pepsi is the first watch I've owned that's given my Explorer II a challenge. I cycled through most every model and the Pepsi is just different; special. I know I have the collection right (for now) because whichever one I wear I always think "why do I even bother with another watch....this one's perfect." Then I get home and swap them out and I think the same thing of the other one. Hence my hesitation to add to it at the moment. They are perfectly balanced like a Porsche Cayman.

But the Sea-Dweller is lurking.
Old 3 April 2020, 03:09 PM   #18
Maverick_1908
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I would have made the same choices. Great duo. A JLC would round out your collection perfectly.

Would be similar to my current trio: oyster blnr, exp2 black dial and a JLC geophysic universal time.
Maverick_1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 10:17 PM   #19
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I agree. At one point I had like 7 nice watches which means if you rotate equally, that’s only 52 days of wear out of the entire year, and that’s hard to justify from any perspective. I pared down to 3 and wear the watches I love far more now. I remember having to service a couple (non Rolex models) an iwc and chopard at the time and I shelled out about 1200 bucks to service the pair to have them then go back and sit in the case. Silly. (I remember being pissed about that as my Rolex went 17 years without service and I had a Breitling chronomat-back when they were a normal size I might add) that went 14 years without service and both running within spec).
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 11:27 PM   #20
gummy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: AP PP Rolex
Two great watches - perfect!

The Sea Dweller would be a great add.
gummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 11:35 PM   #21
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
My lineup is simple as well. Tudor Submariner for daily wear, Casio Illuminator for the house, yard work or exercise and a Citizen Eco Drive dress watch for Wednesday or Sunday Church services (I'm a United Methodist Pastor). All are worn and much loved. None sit idle.
Old 3 April 2020, 11:36 PM   #22
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_1908 View Post
I would have made the same choices. Great duo. A JLC would round out your collection perfectly.

Would be similar to my current trio: oyster blnr, exp2 black dial and a JLC geophysic universal time.
That's a great trio Maverick! It's actually quite hard to decide on a JLC as there are so many cool options. I saw them in person at the boutique in Vegas, then again in Dallas, and I always leave more unsure of which one to get. I like about 15 different models from the Master Control and Reverso lines. I'm leaning hard Master Control with Date because I've tried it on a couple of times, so I know I like it on the wrist and it's a great value on the used market. The price is in line with a once a week watch. If I could be a bit more patient on savings I really like the Geophysic 1958.
Old 4 April 2020, 12:05 AM   #23
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
My small gathering grew to five watches, but I realized I only seem to want to wear two of them; the Explorer II (the workhorse) and the Pepsi with the brilliantly comfortable jubilee bracelet. The Submariner went to my brother and the Milgauss and Air-Kings found new homes. I miss them, but it’s hard to justify thousands of dollars just sitting in the case.

I’d still really like to add a dress watch, most likely a JLC Master Control as a total change of pace. There are a few Rolexes on my radar, namely the Sea-Dweller and maybe a Bluesy. But for now I’m so happy with my duo that I’m just going to enjoy what I have. Nice place to be.
I currently have 4 Rolexes and one incoming. I have had 6 that I traded away over 40 years that I now miss and regret losing. My goal since I sold my Kermit a few years ago is to never get rid of any of them anymore!
Old 4 April 2020, 12:27 AM   #24
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I think you'd be hard pressed to do much better than those two, Mike. The EXP2 is my "home" watch-I just feel like I'm home when I put it on.

And the BLRO...so comfortable and snazzy looking, it's just spectacular.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 04:11 AM   #25
Maiden
"TRF" Member

I'm heading in the same direction, I sold two to obtain my 16618ln and that is all I wear 99% of the time. I still I have my 114060 which I will hang on to as it was my first, however at times it feels like an expensive beater. Thinking of adding a nice dress watch and being done. Enjoying the simplicity of wearing basically one watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg subjeep.jpg (74.2 KB, 660 views)
File Type: jpg Sub Bar.jpg (69.4 KB, 658 views)
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 11:51 AM   #26
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
I'm heading in the same direction, I sold two to obtain my 16618ln and that is all I wear 99% of the time. I still I have my 114060 which I will hang on to as it was my first, however at times it feels like an expensive beater. Thinking of adding a nice dress watch and being done. Enjoying the simplicity of wearing basically one watch.
Maybe move the 114060 and get a dress watch. No need to have it sitting rarely used. The 16618LN covers it all. Which dress watch are you thinking?
Old 4 April 2020, 12:41 PM   #27
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Lots of diversity here in the Rolex family. Very nice box you have sir.

boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 11:56 PM   #28
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe move the 114060 and get a dress watch. No need to have it sitting rarely used. The 16618LN covers it all. Which dress watch are you thinking?
I was thinking if I move the 114060, I would shoot for my dress grail, the VC Traditionelle in WG. If I keep the 114060 I would look to spend less, I am leaning towards the Zenith Ultra Thin, although I might stretch and go for the JLC MUT Moon. Also thinking move the Sub get the JLC and then pick up an Omega SMP for a diver? First world problems I know! What would you recommend?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vc tradtionlle.jpg (8.7 KB, 387 views)
File Type: jpg zeinith elite2.jpg (225.8 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg JLC MUT MOON.jpg (73.8 KB, 387 views)
Omega Geneve
Orient Ray 2
Old 5 April 2020, 12:06 AM   #29
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
I was thinking if I move the 114060, I would shoot for my dress grail, the VC Traditionelle in WG. If I keep the 114060 I would look to spend less, I am leaning towards the Zenith Ultra Thin, although I might stretch and go for the JLC MUT Moon. Also thinking move the Sub get the JLC and then pick up an Omega SMP for a diver? First world problems I know! What would you recommend?
Although I really like the VC, I’d opt for option two and the Zenith ... you gotta keep the Submariner
Old 5 April 2020, 12:18 AM   #30
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Although I really like the VC, I’d opt for option two and the Zenith ... you gotta keep the Submariner
Yeah that is really where I am leaning, despite not getting much wrist time I love the 114060.
Omega Geneve
Orient Ray 2