The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 3 April 2020, 07:45 AM   #241
carwashchris
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Vintage DD'S
I'm just waiting for a late or new 36/39 op for a work watch. Haven't really seen any price drop as of yet.

Chris
Old 3 April 2020, 07:51 AM   #242
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by superpop View Post
That Daytona will be 10K in 6 months. The party is over kids.
Agreed. I still have my watches, and hopefully I won’t be forced to sell.

Bought a Seiko Marinemaster 300 the other day. What a watch for the money.
Old 3 April 2020, 07:56 AM   #243
amanbra
"TRF" Member

SS daytona and GMT get close to MSRP and I'll be all over it
Old 3 April 2020, 07:58 AM   #244
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
This is just the tip of the iceberg if this keeps going on which seems to be the plan of the deep state in the US

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
This is supposed to be a politics free zone. Keep your opinions to watches please.
Old 3 April 2020, 08:00 AM   #245
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrison0 View Post
Doubt 10k but perhaps MSRP or a little. It more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. I'd say over MSRP, but maybe only $2-4k
Old 3 April 2020, 08:02 AM   #246
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
If I can get a white dial NIB for MSRP, I will buy it.

Me too.

Just to see what the fuzz is all about
Old 3 April 2020, 08:11 AM   #247
Podmornica
Banned

I reckon if the white dial Daytona ever reach the MSRP, the watch will be the last thing on your mind.
Old 3 April 2020, 08:19 AM   #248
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Guys prices are coming down. You know what else is down? AAPL, MSFT and the rest of the market. This should not come as a surprise. But just like you cant predict recovery of the stock market, you also can’t predict post COVID watch values because so many variables.
Old 3 April 2020, 11:09 AM   #249
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
https://www.chrono24.com/search/inde...ccessoryTypes=
Old 3 April 2020, 11:35 AM   #250
yonexsp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
What happened to April 1st & 2nd updates?
Old 3 April 2020, 11:51 AM   #251
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendigit View Post
You will get a more accurate search if you actually use the model number and not a fringe nickname.
Try 126710blnr and you will get alot more accurate listings. Try their new watch classification that includes “full box and papers” and accuracy really goes up instead on watches that or missing full box sets.

https://www.chrono24.com/search/inde...21&sortorder=0
Old 3 April 2020, 11:51 AM   #252
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonexsp View Post
What happened to April 1st & 2nd updates?
OP saw what a crazy bunch we are and said, "oh F that."
Old 3 April 2020, 11:53 AM   #253
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
I think if things keep going the way they are, the used market is going to get flooded with people selling to support their families.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Old 3 April 2020, 12:08 PM   #254
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Coming down big time wow!

Old 3 April 2020, 12:24 PM   #255
Miura Mario
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV 116613LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrison0 View Post

March 2020 White Dial Daytona for $21,500...

CRM had one on their instagram story for 19500 yesterday.
Old 3 April 2020, 01:50 PM   #256
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwashchris View Post
I'm just waiting for a late or new 36/39 op for a work watch. Haven't really seen any price drop as of yet.

Chris
That OP39 white is the most underrated watch in Rolex lineup IMO.
Old 3 April 2020, 02:30 PM   #257
iatacs19
"TRF" Member

I think some are in denial of the current economic situation. Prices are coming down as we speak and will fall further, there is no doubt.

A quick refresher on your econ 101:

https://www.intelligenteconomist.com...ity-of-demand/

We will be sliding down that luxury good line all the way to the left.
Old 3 April 2020, 02:45 PM   #258
irchow
"TRF" Member

Makes sense to me. Watches are only bought with excess money and it's not even priority number 1 for most. Many people don't have excess cash right now and for those that do, the stock market is where that money would go first.
Old 3 April 2020, 03:06 PM   #259
Snoop_
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14270 & 116710BLNR
Grey Market Prices Coming Down (daily tracker)

Thanks for the post it is basic economics the demand for luxury items will decrease. Worldwide tourism has essentially stopped the service industry in the US and the world has stopped, every country in the world will face budget shortages. The US unemployment claims this week total 6.6 million the highest number of initial claims filed in history, surpassing last week’s 3.3 million claims. When the world economy starts up again people will not be spending at same rate as before the pandemic.

The priority now is to stay safe and social distancing to help the medical workers around world risking their lives everyday.

Old 3 April 2020, 03:25 PM   #260
westcoastghost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy View Post
Keep in mind the USD has strengthened in the past month and I assume these grey dealers compete for international customers.
My assumption was the opposite, that the gray dealers around the world either kept their original prices in their native currency, or reduced slightly, but when converted to USD the drop is more significant due to the dollar gaining. The US dealers are having to compete with international dealers, so they drop their prices as well.
Old 3 April 2020, 03:57 PM   #261
jordanfsl
"TRF" Member

Rolex-istanbul,

I am thinking English is not your primary language, so I am trying not to offend...but your posts are painful to read just based on facts. Your might want to check the correct dollar amount of the various stimulus plans here in the US. The correct amount of aircraft carriers (nor has one been “lost”). The correct amount of millionaires in the US/Europe vs. China/India. Things are not as you say....
Old 3 April 2020, 04:01 PM   #262
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanfsl View Post
Rolex-istanbul,

I am thinking English is not your primary language, so I am trying not to offend...but your posts are painful to read just based on facts. Your might want to check the correct dollar amount of the various stimulus plans here in the US. The correct amount of aircraft carriers (nor has one been “lost”). The correct amount of millionaires in the US/Europe vs. China/India. Things are not as you say....
Old 3 April 2020, 04:03 PM   #263
bin31z
"TRF" Member

If the US dollar reaches hyperinflation levels...something is VERY VERY wrong, we wouldn't be discussing Rolex prices that's for sure.
Old 3 April 2020, 04:17 PM   #264
jordanfsl
"TRF" Member

Bin, that’s exactly what I tell my clients/business partners. For example, we have a financial transaction ongoing with a signed trade commitment from the largest US bank by assets. One of our capital providers is concerned that this bank will lack the ability to pull through on this incredibly small (by their standards) deal. I have tried to explain that if THIS bank is illiquid....we have much bigger problems than our deal not happening. Like soup kitchens and bread lines level problems.
Old 3 April 2020, 04:43 PM   #265
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by audipwr1 View Post
Why in heavens name would you pay over msrp

I bet 2 hours of phone time you could have a blnr and Pepsi at Msrp from an AD in NYC, LA, or SF
Really???
Has anyone tried this? BLNR would be huge luck, but I’d say no way to a Pepsi at MRSP with 1-2 hours of phone calls.

Maybe someone try and prove this dude right or wrong?
Old 3 April 2020, 05:38 PM   #266
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Really???
Has anyone tried this? BLNR would be huge luck, but I’d say no way to a Pepsi at MRSP with 1-2 hours of phone calls.

Maybe someone try and prove this dude right or wrong?
Nairn, UK/Australia stock is practically the worst in the world. So you also need to take that into consideration. When watches were in the display case in the states they were already months long waits in the UK.
Old 3 April 2020, 05:42 PM   #267
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Nairn, UK/Australia stock is practically the worst in the world. So you also need to take that into consideration. When watches were in the display case in the states they were already months long waits in the UK.
I get that completely and as I’ve been a frequent visitor to the USA since 1998 (and Rolex fan since then) I’ve noticed exactly what you’re saying.

I still don’t see ceramic Pepsi’s in windows....I just don’t think Rolex will want that and will throttle supply if they get any sniff of Pepsi’s making windows.

I could be wrong.....but I just get a feeling Rolex will still want to keep the top steel sports models from becoming “shop window watches”
Old 3 April 2020, 06:04 PM   #268
Rolex-istanbul
"TRF" Member

sorry for the bad English, I am now trying to better write it.

For Air craft carriers location datas please visit this website : https://worldview.stratfor.com/artic...p-april-2-2020

currently only 3 left operational around the world. One thats is now under quarantine which is tasked for freedom of navigation south sea is in operational. correct some are under maintenance and at dockyards. But important thing is this virus is really pandoras box.

Now, for hyper inflation; This is going to happen mark my words. If you put a lot of money in system like they did it in 2008. The prices of goods will increase.

You are not feeling the effect yet, but Asian countries stopped exporting Rice. We will the effect. The price of rise just increased 200 percent in 2 days time.

And if this trend goes on, whole prices of food will increase dramatically.

Now for patek and like patek brands:

If this closure of factories will continue they will go out of business or will be buy out.

Cause they dont have stock to support their AD. but Rolex omega has enough stock for 8 months at least.

thats why Rolex wants to ship out its stock from their factory.

We will see huge transformations in Swiss watch industry in coming weeks.

rich will be still rich, that money never will came to our pockets. And Rolex will never loose customers. There are more rich people emerging in India and China and they are in hunger for luxury goods.

Lets compare the prices of rolexes in 2007 and 2020. You will understand what I mean.

Now this event is deeper than 2008. They are talking combined 6 or 7 trillion dollars round the world.

Still it might not move the system. We will see huge un employment and all the middle class in the g7 countries will get poorer.

The wealth will be moving to the upper. I dont think Rolex will think of you as a customer anymore.

They can change their status to be more Patek Like. so I am backing my word the submariner will be 20000 usd.

Last edited by Rolex-istanbul; 3 April 2020 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: adding my thoughts
Old 3 April 2020, 06:11 PM   #269
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
I get that completely and as I’ve been a frequent visitor to the USA since 1998 (and Rolex fan since then) I’ve noticed exactly what you’re saying.

I still don’t see ceramic Pepsi’s in windows....I just don’t think Rolex will want that and will throttle supply if they get any sniff of Pepsi’s making windows.

I could be wrong.....but I just get a feeling Rolex will still want to keep the top steel sports models from becoming “shop window watches”
Why would they care though if they’re sold in windows or sold in the back? Their end is the same...

If they wanted to be some niche brand they wouldn’t sponsor major events like the Aus open nor would they have so many ambassadors and billboards etc. Rolex is not trying to be niche and never has been. Just because something is in a case for sale doesn’t denature the brand in any way. I don’t walk into Goyard and think ‘that briefcase must suck, it’s on display’.
Old 3 April 2020, 06:31 PM   #270
Deppe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
Guys prices are coming down. You know what else is down? AAPL, MSFT and the rest of the market. This should not come as a surprise. But just like you cant predict recovery of the stock market, you also can’t predict post COVID watch values because so many variables.
I have tried making this point several times, people only respond to what they can see right now, and that is that prices are falling.
And it is indeed correct that prices are falling right now - the more interesting questions is, will they continue to fall once this is over? How fast a recovery can we expect to see? What are the correlation between luxury watch market and the stock market etc. But when raising these points, the standard answer seem to be some variation of "you must have bought a watch for 2xMSRP and are now desperate lol" or "This will be deep and last for a long time" sometimes backed up with some anecdotal evidence.

Granted, this is a Rolex forum and not an economics forum but that also sets the limit for how "deep" discussions can be with respect to economic matters. Just like I would not want to go to an economics forum for Rolex discussions
Closed Thread