The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21 January 2021, 03:27 AM   #1
Acquisition40
"TRF" Member

The strength of the 5270P (?)

Whether it's run out in 2021 or not... just a few thoughts and wanted to hear others' agreements/disagreements/other perspectives.

1. I wonder if they'll do another price increase for the 5270P (across the line, too) mid-2021 then discontinue it for 2022.

2. 5270P owners seem to really enjoy the watch—I haven't see too many come up for auction or in secondary markets. And/or everyone's speculating that it'll be run out soon and holding on with dear life!

Also, I'm aware of the listenings on Chrono24, etc. But it does seem like they don't pop up as much, and buyers are holding on and loving it. Anyone see this differently?

3. The 5168 is bigger than the 5167; the 6301P is big(ger); 5524, though pilot's watch by design, is on the large end for a PP; and the ladies 7300, as the newer Twenty-4 has a larger presence, too. All the while retaining older movement bases (except for the 6301P, of course). If they do make a larger Nautilus, it's also likely that the next PCC may be larger (maybe 42mm... dare anyone say 43mm??!) and retain the same movement. I think this because I think the 5167 (and even 5065), the current 5711/5712 are quite perfect. And for context, I have a flat 6.75-7in wrist—I enjoy the 36mm 3940 as much as my IWC Big Pilot.

5970 vs 5270 size preference/how they wear is the ongoing debate, but I really like the 5270 size. It's very wearable as a modern, yet "discreet" grande complication. Compared to my 5230G, it does feel large, but not necessarily compared to my Nautilus (exception is that the P feels heavier). While the 5970P is phenomenal, the the salmon dial on the 5270P doesn't make the watch look bigger or smaller as some lighter/darker colored dials do, but it's a discreet warmth. It's also very readable. The dial feels contained and focused. It doesn't "pop" the way other dials do because it draws you in rather than letting the popping "out." It's not "cool" or "fun," but it certainly is a unique, long-and-steady, ready-for-any-stage-of-life relationship. It's not classic or traditional, but it feels timeless.

--

Yes, yes, for many who own it, it sucks that it may go onto production year 4 from a value standpoint, but perhaps they wanted to give the world a fair shot. I also wonder if PP wanted to give some of the models another year, since their production was disrupted by the pandemic.

I'm not sure if they knew how "special" the salmon dial was back in the days, but now, we're all aware of it. It seems unlikely that PP will do another salmon dial PCC as a standard production. And combining that with a possible size-up for the next version of the PCC (have they ever done a new design without changing case size?), I think the 5270P will hold a special place in PP history.

What do others think?

S
Acquisition40 is offline   Reply With Quote