The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 June 2012, 10:05 PM   #1
bigbear
Banned

Lets hear your greatest ROLEX deal ever!

Please share what you believe to be adeal of a life time, when you got your Rolex.

I am just curious if someone bought a Rolex dirt cheap from a garage sale?
Where the seller probably did not know what he was selling?

requirements:
Not interested in watches received as gifts or passed down the family. You must have paid for the watch.
bigbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 10:28 PM   #2
skypilot
"TRF" Member

A good friend, who collects tuning fork Accutrons like I do, paid $50 for a box of 10 watches from under the counter of an old small town pawn shop to get an Accutron Astronaut Mark II that was in the box. There was also a tuning fork Omega in the box and a Rolex that he assumed was a fake. He took the watches to his jeweler who took the back from the Rolex and pronounced it to be real of about 1947 vintage. They shook it and it took off running accurately.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2012, 12:31 AM   #3
05tbowner
"TRF" Member

I bought a 1601 on ebay this January for $80 shipped to my door. I was browsing through ebay and was searching "Rolex" as well as title and description and clicked on an ad listing a sterling watch band and matching ring. In the picture, I noticed there was a watch on the watch band in the listing. In the listing, it stated that the watch pictured is included with the lot, but is broken. I sent the seller an email asking if he would just sell the watch. He said if the lot didn't sell, that I could have the watch for $50. Well, the lot didn't meet the reserve, and he sent me a message afterward telling me that it didn't sell, and if I really wanted the watch, that I could just have it, no charge. I insisted on giving him something for the watch, and ended up paypaling him $80, and received the watch about a week later. Ended up being a 1601 with a beautiful slate dial from the late 1960's. He said he bought the watch new, but he dropped it and it stopped working so he just put it in a drawer. Well, I took the back off when I got it, and it seemed to start right up!

And then there was a time that I bought a really old Rolex (1910's) for $8 at my job...
05tbowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2012, 12:48 AM   #4
md543678

Watch: SS YatchMaster
well this deal was a deal that didnt work out and im glad it didnt. I went to meet a guy i was going to buy a yatch master from, he showed me the watch looked real good, after looking at the watch i went to the bathroom, when i came back he had the watch in the box and was pressuring me to buy the watch because he had to leave i told him i wanted to go to the rolex ad and have it checked. He told me if i didnt buy it now he had someone else to sell it to so as i opened the box again i noticed that there was a competley different wactch, as i comented on the watch he stood up and the real watch fell from his lap. When i saw this i told him to take a walk. I wanted to knock him senseless. never again. After this happened i went to the AD 2 days later and paid 1800 more for a new one.
md543678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2012, 02:37 AM   #5
koronet-kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: deep-sea Comex
Red sub one owner box and papers swapped for a 16600 dweller which at the time cost me £2600

Sold the Red sub still kicking myself four years later doh

Sean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sub.jpg (77.1 KB, 350 views)
koronet-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2012, 02:44 AM   #6
ppbskis
"TRF" Member

Bought my first Rolex in 1982 a Sea Dweller for $ 580.00, traded it even for a new Sub in 1988. Regret it almost every day.
ppbskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2012, 03:59 AM   #7
Lagunatic
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LN
30% off a brand new 1993 SeaDweller 4000 back in 1994
Lagunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2012, 04:05 AM   #8
jay1988
"TRF" Member

Not my story and not sure if it counts.

I think taking £200 to a "friendly" poker game and end up leaving with £1200 (6 players winner takes all) and a Rolex Sub was a pretty good deal.

This was 2003 and the person in question traded it plus £1500 for a DJII BNIB white stick dial in 2010.
jay1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2012, 07:27 AM   #9
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
My first Rolex was a Subbie I bought from a friend of a friend for $175 in 1974.

Wish I still had that one...
Old 16 June 2012, 12:59 PM   #10
AC54METEX

The year;1963.

The place; VN (USMC MAW1).

All F4 (A's at the time) pilots and RIO's were issued 'government' issued time pieces (somewhere around here I still have mine).

At the time we were 'in- country' as 'advisor's' - allowing us some latitude to travel around SE Asia.

Bangkok was a favorite haunt (and no, it was not the girls). Jewelry was sold everywhere, and some (not all) was the 'real McCoy'.

My back seater (RIO) bought a Rolex from a reputable dealer, who was based out of Singapore.

About a month after the purchase he got rotated back to CONUS where he had a wife and at least two (2) kids if I recall. They were in SD, CA (North Island) and his new duty station was Pensacola FL.

He knew he was short on cash needed for the unrecoverable costs associated with the move, so he put the Rolex up for 'lottery' - hat pull - $10 in per pull.

Bet you can guess the rest - one pull, one Rolex. Most likely the best deal I have ever gotten.
AC54METEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2012, 01:10 PM   #11
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT- Pepsi
I don't know if this qualifies, and the price wasn't a steal, but I would have paid twice for this watch:

-in 2012
-Tudor submariner 7928 (1966)
-included a USA Rolex rivet bracelet stamped 1974
- paid $1000 cash, it's my favorite vintage watch...

See pics

Http://www.evozine.com