The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 August 2021, 11:18 PM   #31
ramenlover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
For a forum so consumed with resale values, flipping, and trading... I'm surprised at the some of the naiveté in this thread.

There is no easier way to get the pieces you want at MSRP than quickly becoming a preferred customer. You do that by confidently demonstrating that you will help the SA earn fat commissions and the AD move merchandise.

Of course, buying expensive pieces to get steel sports used to work much better when you could get PM for 10-15% off MSRP AND you reside in a location with little or no sales tax. And you have to do this in a Rolex-only store -- otherwise, you would be pressured to buy non-Rolex brands or jewelry. But the principle still applies today. ​

I walk in and buy a DD40 for $57K. In a few weeks, I walk back in and buy a $18K Cellini from the same SA. Boom! I'm instantly the SA's new best friend. I get the next Pepsi or Cermit in a few weeks.

But, you can't expect to buy expensive hot watches to get steel sports. PM Subs, GMT, and Daytonas are now very much in demand. You need to purchase "lower demand" pieces -- Cellini, PM with diamond bezels, TT DJ, etc.

I sell the DD40 and/or Cellini for a small loss (let's just assume I lose $10K). I have the watches I want at MSRP AND I have a great new relationship with the AD.
This guy gets it 👍🏻
ramenlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 11:19 PM   #32
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
PM is hard to get too. Although from my personal experience, once you go PM you don’t go back. Said this so many times, something very special putting on an all gold Rolex, way more than any SS. I have a white gold BLRO and a SS BLRO, I’m still yet to wear the SS version. Each time I put it on I look at it’s elder brother.
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 11:20 PM   #33
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I hate to state the obvious…. But if you have the money to buy a PM watch, only for the purpose of getting to purchase a SS at MSRP…. This makes zero sense. First, i would never spend money on a watch I didn’t really want, and second, the money you “save” by getting a SS at MSRP is less then if you purchased the SS from a Gray. I know, you could then sell the PM, but I really don’t think there would be a savings of money in the long run.
⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️ X2. Basically, buy 2 SS (depending on the model) at market price, for the price of a PM at an AD.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 11:21 PM   #34
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
God help us

Rolex may be the "big baller brand" and all, but for god's sake just say no to these games
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 11:44 PM   #35
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandos View Post
If you have to ask, then the answer is no.
Def this
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 12:09 AM   #36
ConnorBurr
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43/GMT2 Pepsi
Think it depends on your AD, yes you need some spend but ive found at my AD that being open & honest with you intentions and what you really love and do not like will help you more.

E.g. ive never asked my AD for a Steel Daytona, GMT2/SD/Sub is where my love for Rolex lies, and as a result ive been fortunate to have been sold a fair few within that category over the past 5-6 years.

Have a sit down with your AD, focus on getting the piece you want and build a relationship rather than trying to shortcut your way there by getting stuff you dont need is my advice.
ConnorBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 12:18 AM   #37
Stewart_88
"TRF" Member

Just ask for a PM GMT and be done with it
Old 11 August 2021, 01:03 AM   #38
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Why anyone would think of buying a very very expensive PM watch to buy a SS one, must have more money than sense IMHO. All this so called AD relationship stuff mainly exists in internet land. I sometimes wonder how Rolex manages to sell around 850000 plus watches a year. Perhaps all these buyers are heavy spenders and Rolex no longer sells any watches to the Joe public anymore.
the cases are empty though...AD relationship or not, there's no disputing that almost all rolexes are extremely hard to buy now, but your point about the PM watches still stands
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 01:07 AM   #39
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
If I was in the market for a PM piece, why not? I would be enjoying it just as much (if not more!) as the SS one.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 01:21 AM   #40
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

The AD has become akin to the pretty girl at school. Everyone fawns over her, offers to carry her books and compliments her mother in vain efforts to curry her favor.

But try as you might she will not go to the dance with you, that was never going to be anyone but the stud football player. All you will get is the odd table scrap of attention, whatever minimum is necessary to keep you panting over her.
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 01:23 AM   #41
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Buy what you like. I think you may be able to get a pm sub or gmt, I doubt you'll see a pm Daytona. They are very hard to get and sell for a premium on the grey market.
Old 11 August 2021, 01:48 AM   #42
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

The fact that this is referred to as the game indicates it is in fact a game. I would not buy a watch I don't want to maybe buy another. You are better off with a trusted gray and instant satisfaction. This forum's classifieds are always an option as well.

One thing I like to remember too is we should buy what we want and not to flip. We are otherwise increasing market prices on ourselves. Just my opinion.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 01:53 AM   #43
Master_Grogu
Banned

Guys you are missing the point.

He wants to do this:

Buy 126618LB at 40k
Sell 126618LB at 40k (or more perhaps)
Net: 0$

He now has a 40k spending history at the AD, meaning when the AD checks out his CRM of people wanting Submariners, OP is not a low priority attribution, but a middle one.

It does make sense and I did entertain the same thought. But that doesn't work for two reasons:

1) Seriously who the hell would spend 40k to have the right to spend 10 more lol
2) PM pieces are as difficult to obtain than the SS ones. So...
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 02:22 AM   #44
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBallerBrand View Post
Been trying to get some hot SS models for years (Hulk, Pepsi, ND Sub, etc.) with no luck. Bought a TT bluesy in 2018 to “establish a relationship” but apparently that isn’t enough since there are much heavy spenders out there.

I’m thinking of buying a PM GMT, SUB, or Daytona. Would that help me get some SS models? Or is obtaining a PM nowadays hard to get as well?
if you bought a bluesy in 2018, since then did they offer you any other Rolex references to buy? Obviously you may not be interested in these other watches, but was anything offered? or nothing was offered, or they offered other brands or jewelry.
Old 11 August 2021, 02:25 AM   #45
zengineer
"TRF" Member

If the entire reason you are buying the PM is to get SS...and if the cost somehow makes sense to you...I would ask the AD the question flat out. They know the game, they invented it.

We don't know.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 02:27 AM   #46
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
The AD has become akin to the pretty girl at school. Everyone fawns over her, offers to carry her books and compliments her mother in vain efforts to curry her favor.

But try as you might she will not go to the dance with you, that was never going to be anyone but the stud football player. All you will get is the odd table scrap of attention, whatever minimum is necessary to keep you panting over her.
Any good band camp stories?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 02:42 AM   #47
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
A lot of PM's are not easy to get anymore either.. so you'd essentially be getting on a waitlist to buy a piece that hopefully puts you on another waitlist
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 02:59 AM   #48
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post
Big Ballers rock! I say go for it!

Lavar is that you?! Lavar just pay grey. You must have made a fortune with those kicks the BBB put out! C'mon man!!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 03:12 AM   #49
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Makes perfect sense to me if you can get the PM. The demand for them may have gone up but nowhere near as much as the SS models (PM Daytonas an exception)
And dropping £30k on a single piece does get you up the priority list.
That's the case in the UK anyway where a lot of people don't like gold, especially yellow gold.
SamArj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 03:16 AM   #50
dannyp
Banned

Is the real “question behind the question” here: Are there PM models I can buy to build spend and then resell at a minimal loss?

It is a legitimate strategy, though it carries some risk of being stuck with a watch you don’t want longer than you can comfortably do so.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 03:48 AM   #51
liberalclown
"TRF" Member

Black Sub Date has one of the lowest premiums across the SS Sports, I wouldn't pay it regardless but if you are considering PM just to have a shot for it then it might be wiser to just pay the premium.

On the other hand, while Rolex is hot, other brands are leveraging this by increasing prices, producing or releasing less to build false scarcity. I would buy them while they are still at MSRP or sometimes even at discount such as Cartier, Omega and Tudor.

Find an AD that only sells watch and not jewelry, buy one of the other brands and then they can source you a Sub/Exp/ExpII/AirKing/DJ but at that time you may not even want the watch.
liberalclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 07:17 AM   #52
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBallerBrand View Post
Been trying to get some hot SS models for years (Hulk, Pepsi, ND Sub, etc.) with no luck. Bought a TT bluesy in 2018 to “establish a relationship” but apparently that isn’t enough since there are much heavy spenders out there.

I’m thinking of buying a PM GMT, SUB, or Daytona. Would that help me get some SS models? Or is obtaining a PM nowadays hard to get as well?
You want to buy nicer watches to get base metal watches?
This generation is bizarre in so many ways.
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 07:28 AM   #53
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob sims View Post
You want to buy nicer watches to get base metal watches?
This generation is bizarre in so many ways.

Nope, this generation is just playing the hand it's been dealt.
SamArj is offline   Reply With Quote