The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 30 October 2022, 09:03 AM   #1
Happy_Jake
2024 Pledge Member

Sea Dweller Triplock Crown Issue

I recently acquired a 16600 Sea Dweller circa 2006 from a reputable online seller. Watch is running +0 with 320 amplitude -- so that is fantastic.

I have owned several of these models and am familiar how they generally feel.

I am disappointed with 2 issues I am experiencing however

1) Bezel action is very stiff. Visual inspection shows no accumulation of foreign matter and bezel remains stiff -- too stiff, even after cleaning. Perhaps the tension ring?

2) When unscrewed, the crown does not have a positive "pop" out. Furthermore, when fully unscrewed, the spring action is very slight -- not very springy like the many other Rolexes I have operated over the years. When screwed down, the crown is tight after not more than a revolution and a half or so. Much less than I am used too. What might be the issue here?

I have a basic understanding of how things work, but am certainly not a watchmaker or silled tech by any stretch of the imagination.

Please help me decide whether these issues are readily solvable, or whether I should ask for a refund.

Thanks all in advance
Happy_Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2022, 10:54 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Bezels seem to be a mixed bag and yes, a bent or too thick tension ring can affect it, but so can a bent bezel.

Crowns are multipart contraptions and the spring that pops them out is self-contained. The crown is a small socket, and the hex it fits into is fixed. It seldom aligns perfectly when unscrewed so needs to be rotated until it slips into position. Old crowns with weaker springs or some grit will not engage as a fresh one would.
Old 31 October 2022, 01:12 AM   #3
Happy_Jake
2024 Pledge Member

Crown Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Bezels seem to be a mixed bag and yes, a bent or too thick tension ring can affect it, but so can a bent bezel.

Crowns are multipart contraptions and the spring that pops them out is self-contained. The crown is a small socket, and the hex it fits into is fixed. It seldom aligns perfectly when unscrewed so needs to be rotated until it slips into position. Old crowns with weaker springs or some grit will not engage as a fresh one would.

Thanks! It appears a skilled person can replace the whole business (Crown, stem, tube) fairly quickly and inexpensively which is not bad as a worst case scenario.

So when I look at an exploded diagram and see the spring -- that is actually inside the crown?
Happy_Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2022, 12:19 PM   #4
Nelson6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Jake View Post
I recently acquired a 16600 Sea Dweller circa 2006 from a reputable online seller. Watch is running +0 with 320 amplitude -- so that is fantastic.

I have owned several of these models and am familiar how they generally feel.

I am disappointed with 2 issues I am experiencing however

1) Bezel action is very stiff. Visual inspection shows no accumulation of foreign matter and bezel remains stiff -- too stiff, even after cleaning. Perhaps the tension ring?

2) When unscrewed, the crown does not have a positive "pop" out. Furthermore, when fully unscrewed, the spring action is very slight -- not very springy like the many other Rolexes I have operated over the years. When screwed down, the crown is tight after not more than a revolution and a half or so. Much less than I am used too. What might be the issue here?

I have a basic understanding of how things work, but am certainly not a watchmaker or silled tech by any stretch of the imagination.

Please help me decide whether these issues are readily solvable, or whether I should ask for a refund.

Thanks all in advance
Never buy a watch online. Now your only solution is a full service by Rolex to bring it to the condition you think it should be in. If you'd seen and handled the watch beforehand this could have been avoided.
Nelson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2022, 07:39 AM   #5
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson6 View Post
Never buy a watch online. Now your only solution is a full service by Rolex to bring it to the condition you think it should be in. If you'd seen and handled the watch beforehand this could have been avoided.
100% disagree with this. Have bought many watches online and in the rare case of problems the seller has made good completely.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2022, 07:42 AM   #6
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
100% disagree with this. Have bought many watches online and in the rare case of problems the seller has made good completely.
In this specific case, since the watch will need a service soon (if it hasn’t had one) I wouldn’t worry about it at all.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2022, 09:13 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Jake View Post
. . .

So when I look at an exploded diagram and see the spring -- that is actually inside the crown?
Yes, the spring and piston are inside the crown. There is a collar/socket soldered onto the bottom of the crown that holds it together.

The captured piston inside the crown screws solidly onto the top of the stem allowing the crown and spring to slide up and down on it. When you press the crown down you disengage it from the collar/socket
Old 13 November 2022, 04:07 AM   #8
34SF
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson6 View Post
I disagree with both assertions. While on line may have more risk, many members of my collection were purchased on line, including from sellers here.

As for the second, both of the problems cited by the OP are quickly remedied by a competent watchmaker with access to parts. The bezel is most likely a matter of adjustment; the crown requires an inspection diagnose the problem which MAY require a trip to the RSC but my guess is not. Pressure testing is also in order if this mechanism is replaced. The OP would be better informed with a skilled assessment.
34SF is offline   Reply With Quote